How 'bout we talk coaching candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well, the debate will last a while so let's talk...

I wonder if Bob's claim to wanting to change the team's style to being a faster team will cause him to view candidates any differently now than he would have before? Hmm.

Most would agree Eakins is the front runner and Stephens speculated as much. But he also threw out names like Q, MacLellan, Yeo, Bowness, and Dineen and Gronborg as possible candidates. Some based on having been previously interviewed before RC II became a thing.

I don't think I'd mind Eakins. I think money takes Q out of the equation. I don't know much about Gronborg. If he's qualified I'd consider him. I think the team needs to go in a younger direction and avoid many of the old recycled coaches.

It should be an interesting next few months.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
POAF had an article about this: Top 5 Coaching Candidates for the Anaheim Ducks

I'd prefer if Eakins remains our AHL coach as he seems to be great at developmenting young players and helping their fitness levels. I just hope he doesnt leave if he feels insulted for not getting the opportunity.

I don't want Quenville as he is overpaid and wouldn't be good to help a rebuild. Would have loved Barry Trotz for sure but the timing didn't work out.

Bylsma would have been great if he didn't start out with the Penguins since he was a great former Duck. I think he is tainted from the Buffalo experience.

My preference thus far would be:
- Gronborg: sounds like a progressive hire for Euro Coaches. It also helps that we have and like Swedish players.
- Either Green (former duck) or Keefe: A young, passionate, positive, and modern style coach for the long run (like a Young Babock/Wilson).

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Can't see the Ducks paying anybody $6M, even if Q wanted to come here.
I included him cause i wanted to pick 3 finalists based on ability. Eakins & Gronborg are the serious choices while Q is there simply cause he's good but isn't realistic choice of happening.
MacLellan & Yeo sound like sucky choices so they weren't gonna be in my top choices.

I'd go with Gronborg. Hampus likes him alot & i expect Silf, Lundestrom & Rakell do too.
I get the feeling he'll favor Lindholm over Fowler so thats a extra plus for me.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I'd be happy with giving Eakins a shot. He's proven to be a capable AHL coach and seems to work well with a young roster, which is what we should have over the next few seasons. Plus he already has experience coaching a good portion of the players we will have in lineup next year.

Aside from him, I would hope we'd bring in a fresh candidate. I don't want to see a retread coach even if it is someone like Q who has had a lot of past success.

The list of candidates will likely grow by the offseason too. I could see some coaching staffs fired if their teams don't make the playoffs and a few more head coaches and assistant coaches in the running besides what Stephens is currently speculating.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Gronborg is my pick, as I like his style and think he could work wonders with this roster.

Player-Coach Getzlaf would be spectacularly interesting though.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I am extremely hesitant about Eakins, honestly. The Oilers fans, as much as they're delusional and tend to point fingers overly eagerly, have made several very convincing points about how he was one of the biggest reasons they sucked extra bad that one year. And while he has proven himself very capable on the AHL level the last few years, I'm still not at all convinced that can translate into NHL success as fluidly. Maybe it does, that'd be great, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Q I'd want, but I honestly don't see him taking the job even if we offer him decent money. We're probably not going to compete for a couple of years at the very least, so why would he waste his latter years on a brand new project he'd need to work a lot on. OC isn't that attractive.

Grönborg sounds like an interesting bet that I'd be more than willing to try out. Just not sure if Bob sees the situation the same way. He's so much of an old fashioned GM that bringing a European to the helm of the team out of nowhere doesn't sound like a play from his book.

Eff the idea of even giving Yeo, McLellan or Bylsma a look. They suck. It's been proven pretty convincingly.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I am extremely hesitant about Eakins, honestly. The Oilers fans, as much as they're delusional and tend to point fingers overly eagerly, have made several very convincing points about how he was one of the biggest reasons they sucked extra bad that one year. And while he has proven himself very capable on the AHL level the last few years, I'm still not at all convinced that can translate into NHL success as fluidly. Maybe it does, that'd be great, but I'm a bit skeptical.

Q I'd want, but I honestly don't see him taking the job even if we offer him decent money. We're probably not going to compete for a couple of years at the very least, so why would he waste his latter years on a brand new project he'd need to work a lot on. OC isn't that attractive.

Grönborg sounds like an interesting bet that I'd be more than willing to try out. Just not sure if Bob sees the situation the same way. He's so much of an old fashioned GM that bringing a European to the helm of the team out of nowhere doesn't sound like a play from his book.

Eff the idea of even giving Yeo, McClellan or Bylsma a look. They suck. It's been proven pretty convincingly.
I agree and I find it ridiculous that when you bring up the notion that Eakins might not be a good coach on this board everyone just says “what do oilers fans know lolz”

Reactions: Dryish

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm not sold on Eakins, I remember that year's Oilers and I get shivers... Q probably is too expensive but I'd like him. Don't know much about Grönborg so can't comment. And PLEASE stay away from Bylsma.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I could've sworn I've heard some grumblings about Gronborg's coaching over the past few years, though I'm not familiar with the local press.

Would like to see how Q does, less so with Eakins.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Don't think he's interested in coaching hockey anymore, he's moved onto soccer.

Southampton is in the relegation zone though. If they drop into the Championship, I could see him being dismissed as chairman.

He seems like a bit of a renaissance man however, so I could see him transitioning into something else

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
The Eakins debate interests me a great deal. Just my 2 cents on the matter:

On one hand, you've got the micromanagement angle to him, which absolutely won't fly with the veterans in the room; those guys don't need their coach dictating their everyday routine. On the other hand, you read and listen to some of the interviews that have been done with former players about him (especially the Paul Ranger TSN mini-doc, where he comes across very well) and he seems to really connect to individual players on a deep, interpersonal level. He seems like a pretty smart guy who's self-aware and knows what he did wrong at the NHL level the first time and would figure out how to correct it. His advantage is that most of the future core of the franchise is in San Diego right now and he already has built bonds with them; he's the equivalent of a rebuilding/retooling MLB team bringing their AAA manager up from the minors to coach his guys. That said, I hope he stays in San Diego, he really seems to enjoy the city and the culture there and he excels at developing these kids into professionals as his niche.

Q would be my favorite for this job because he's a Hall of Fame coach who has won everywhere he's gone with all sorts of teams, though I've already convinced myself that is not going to happen because of the money angle and because everyone with an opening is going to be after him, big markets/win-now teams included. Other candidates include many that have already been brought up here: Gronborg, Eakins, Keefe and Krueger.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Might explain his mystery trip to Europe too, if he wanted a first-hand look at some coaching candidates. Does anyone know what his itinerary was for that trip?

Not sure I'd call it a mystery trip. They said he was on a scouting trip which certainly wouldn't be out of the norm. But of course we'll never know have far in advance (or not) the trip was planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad