Confirmed with Link: Hossa/Hino/Oesterle & 2019 3rd to AZ for Kruger/Entwistle/Maletta/Campbell & 2019 5th

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Who ever say this is a good trade, are mad and knows absolutely zero about hockey,
salary cap dump or not, giving two roster players for absolutely nothing
just so that Arizona would take Hossa....**** ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stanley and burn in hell!.

Oesterle was Hawks best d man latter stages of the season.
Hinostroza is a player you absolutely should keep in the new NHL.
- also, had a breakout season, last season

None of the 4 players acquired are gonna see day of light in Hawks playing roster.
:laugh:

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and migi

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
TT was not a similar situation to this. Bickell had to go for them to be cap compliant. Every team knew that. Hossa did not have to go for the Hawks to be cap compliant.
You're right, Hossa did not have to go to be cap compliant, but he did have to go to improve the team in any significant way. Unless you want to see us sitting at the bottom of the standings again for the next 3 years.

Reactions: bwana63

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
But again
..of Hono gets top six minutes and out -scores our vaunted $10.5 1C,fans will say Arizona stole a "star" from us...Point is. .Q was not going to use him top six much except for endless line blending due to fails in the top 2 lines ..but those would be short-lived cause nothing going works with Toews anymore and you cannot put him on line because Kane doesn't check anyone and Schatz has no clue defending our d-zone..That line would bec2 small and too poor defensively. .thus no spit for honoring our top six and he is not suited for 4th line checker. .so he would have to be a 3rd line winger ..and given AA is 3C now....then no playmaker and speed to work with Hino..In other words he was in the wrong situation with us ..but will blossom in Arizona ..

No Hino didn't get top 6 minutes because he isn't a top 6 player, sure he can fill in as a stop gap. He probably won't get top 6 minutes in AZ either. I would have thought you would be happy as a smurf was moved and Entwistle 6'3" power forward was obtained.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Whatever Stan does with the cap space now,he should avoid giving him up more prospects and picks to trade for Faulk ..avoid it ...Also do not go after Pacioretty ..that trade would involve giving up AA and more picks or prospects...Neither of these 2 would be "saviours".and we should Not be going "all in" with this team we have..

So there are 2 oprions:

1.Stop -gap ...offer Rick Nash a 1 yr deal ..
2.Wait till trade deadline in case we do better than expected and are in the playoff race looking like we can contend (this depends on rebound years for Saad Toes Keith and Sean and that CC returns with full best for and stays healthy. .Then at the trade deadline we can add that "missing piece'" as long as we do not overpay for it.

3.Stand pat with extra cap space to use nly next summer for a big splash Ufa ?Panarin ?

4.Trade Saad back to Columbus for Panarin now . And sign Nash 1 yr. For cheap deal plus bonus which we could carry bonus foverage forward to next season. IF we are not in playoff contention at TDL then we dump AA. ..if we keep AA all season then we trade him next summer.

5.Sign Ryan Kuffner.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Here are some observations:

The Hawks are not "rebuilding" for 3 years, the length of Hossa's deal.
The is a VERY limited pool of teams that can take 5.275 in dead cap (for even 2 years next off season)
There are other teams desperate to move dead cap by next year (Toronto/Horton,Tampa/Callahan)
No teams are going to be cap floor teams (except MAYBE Ottawa depending on how Karlsson unfolds)

No one was ever going to take 3 (or even 2 years) of Hossa as a "favor" or because they needed it to "get to the floor". Moving his deal was always going to be some combo of sweetener or sour money coming back. Hino and Kruger thread the needle where nothing is overly painful on either end. Hino is a nice player, but how many diminutive primarily offensive wings can you ice in one lineup? Kane and DCat look to be in your lineup for a while and Sikura and Kuhan look like good option to get there too. Hino was an expendable piece in that you have a lot of vegetables in the fridge, but don't have a meat to serve for dinner. We don't need more Hino's even if we didn't get what we need out of this trade in return (the cap space hopefully will over the next year). Kruger as the medicine you have to swallow to free cap is pretty painless. A glaring hole on our roster this year is a bottom 6 center that can win a faceoff and PK. Sure MAYBE Kampf can/will be that guy, but now he don't have to be that guy this year and can develop into it. Kruger with what Carolina is retaining is far from horrible in that role for ONE year. Some are acting like he is 35 and in a hard decline where he'll have zero use. Because he was bad on a crap team with a sports hernia last year doesn't mean he is washed up at 28.

To me the two keys to this move are what do we use the freed cap space for and what is the cost for other teams that will move cap over the next year. I'm guess/hoping it won't be Patches (we could have just offered JVR 7.5 if we wanted a 30 year old 60 point LW) or just Faulk (his contract fits easily with Hossa on the books by simply flipping one of Rutta/Murphy for a pick after acquiring Faulk). My hope is we end up with a mid 20's top 4 Dman out of all this. The other shoe will be watching what it costs Toronto to move Horton and Callahan out of Tampa. There are only so many teams that can take that type of contract and the longer you wait for the music to stop...there will be less options and it gets more expensive is my suspicion. We got our chair for Hossa in the musical chairs game and I suspect it would not have been cheaper next Summer.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Am I the only one hoping the Patches/Skinner rumor was leaked to make it seem like they’re moving Hino and Hossa to improve team but really they just want cap space...not ready to see Stan trade away Hughes.

Nope. Right there with you. Ideally, it’s to free cap space to take on bad contracts to help other teams acquire players and gain us more picks/prospects in the process.

If not that, something around AA for Panarin would be fine, but yeah, no interest in Skinner or MaxPac, wouldn’t even sign either as UFAs.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Can't be upset about this.

Hino for Entwhistle
Kruger, 5th and 5 million cap space next 2 years for 3rd

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
One of the only off-season moves I have liked so far was re-signing Hino, and now this. AND we have to watch Kruger again.

Yikes.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Whatever Stan does with the cap space now,he should avoid giving him up more prospects and picks to trade for Faulk ..avoid it ...Also do not go after Pacioretty ..that trade would involve giving up AA and more picks or prospects...Neither of these 2 would be "saviours".and we should Not be going "all in" with this team we have..

So there are 2 oprions:

1.Stop -gap ...offer Rick Nash a 1 yr deal ..
2.Wait till trade deadline in case we do better than expected and are in the playoff race looking like we can contend (this depends on rebound years for Saad Toes Keith and Sean and that CC returns with full best for and stays healthy. .Then at the trade deadline we can add that "missing piece'" as long as we do not overpay for it.

3.Stand pat with extra cap space to use nly next summer for a big splash Ufa ?Panarin ?

4.Trade Saad back to Columbus for Panarin now . And sign Nash 1 yr. For cheap deal plus bonus which we could carry bonus foverage forward to next season. IF we are not in playoff contention at TDL then we dump AA. ..if we keep AA all season then we trade him next summer.

5.Sign Ryan Kuffner.

This I agree Fiddy I don't want the Hawks going after Patches or Faulk but if they want to save the Cap money for Panarin they I'm on board

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm on board with keeping that stashed away for next off-season as well. The reality is, nothing you do this off-season with that money is pushing you over the top to being a legit Cup contender this season. Don't spend the money just for the sake of spending it. If something makes really good sense and does so for the next few years, ok. Different story. Patch and Faulk don't really move the needle all that much for me.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The comments above is the Hino I see on a nightly basis. Unfortunate that many Hawks fans never appreciated what Hino brings. The smurf with intensity, grit and heart is gone and its a **** ing shame.

I'm pretty sure most fans appreciated what he brings, but are of the belief that someone else can bring that exact same thing, with more potential upside.

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
So, Stan - our team got younger, faster this season? What an irony.
With all due respect to Kruger now we have to watch him standing passively on PK blocking lanes and maybe scoring 1 every 3 seasons for 3 mln, and Stan is probably cooking another overpriced extension for him with mandatory NMC.
There is nobody meaningful they can give to get Falk or Patch and sign them after 1 year is over, and even then they will not lift this team into playoff spot, it is basically the difference between 6th or 7th place in Central at this point. Patient rebuild for aseveral years while injecting youth and speed is what was needed and team took a step back.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm pretty sure most fans appreciated what he brings, but are of the belief that someone else can bring that exact same thing, with more potential upside.

So I keep hearing. Name a single player in the org who can play the game at Hino's pace?

Seems the entire Hawks future is about potential, here, potential there, everywhere we see potential. Malarky. Vinnie has proven he can be effective in this league, even when his coach makes it obvious that he dislikes him - and to boot, he is making peanuts compared to his worth.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So I keep hearing. Name a single player in the org who can play the game at Hino's pace?

Seems the entire Hawks future is about potential, here, potential there, everywhere we see potential. Malarky. Vinnie has proven he can be effective in this league, even when his coach makes it obvious that he dislikes him - and to boot, he is making peanuts compared to his worth.

Pretty sure that both Kahun and D. Sikura can match Hino's pace/speed... Witnessed Kahun in the Olympics, also. Kid can fly.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Both Sikura and Kahun play at Vinnie's pace.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If we just want to roll the dice on having an LV type year I’d sign Rick Nash and Dan Hamhuis to one year deals. Keep the picks and prospects.

Saad-Toews-Nash
DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden-Anisimov-Sikura
Edjsell-Kruger-Kahun
Kampf

Keith-Jokiharju
Hamhuis-Murphy
Forsling-Seabrook
Gus-Rutta

Crawford
Ward

Maintain long term cap flexibility, flip the short term guys for picks if they are bad.

Edit: Forgot Manning. I guess send Gus to Rockford or Jokiharju.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Sikura definitely has a higher ceiling. Projected 50+ points per NHLe. Never watched Kahun play but he was good at the Olympics, although a lot of talent was missing from that tournament.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
But again
..of Hono gets top six minutes and out -scores our vaunted $10.5 1C,fans will say Arizona stole a "star" from us...Point is. .Q was not going to use him top six much except for endless line blending due to fails in the top 2 lines ..but those would be short-lived cause nothing going works with Toews anymore and you cannot put him on line because Kane doesn't check anyone and Schatz has no clue defending our d-zone..That line would bec2 small and too poor defensively. .thus no spit for honoring our top six and he is not suited for 4th line checker. .so he would have to be a 3rd line winger ..and given AA is 3C now....then no playmaker and speed to work with Hino..In other words he was in the wrong situation with us ..but will blossom in Arizona ..
you are 1 letter off from having your favorite liberal pc police on you my friend!!! hahahaha

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
it s not easy to replace numbers, we all hope the next wave of kids can, but it is not a guarantee. especially if the core sucks it up again and we have injuries. this deal hurt our depth, lets not gloss over it here.

I am okay with the trade IF we do something with the space. If we do not get anyone this year, then fine, let us know your plan Bowman. Don't need to tell us who you want to get, but at least set up a conference and say we are building up for a strong 19-20 UFA crop, aka getting Breadman back, and needing extra space to resign Schmaltz. I can live with that, hell we all could, just do not leave us in the dark here.

we will have a lot of space next year when Ward, Kunitz, Kruger, etc come off the books - at $9 mil in space now, and another expected $3-4 mil cap increase puts us in a place to have over $21 mil in space next year - and that is with AA and Seabs still here.

if the plan is to battle through this year, hope our core has stronger years and see how we look at the deadline if we are close to the playoffs to use some space, then okay I guess....but be careful as if this team struggles Bowman and Q might not be here to see this through after the holidays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad