Confirmed with Link: Hossa/Hino/Oesterle & 2019 3rd to AZ for Kruger/Entwistle/Maletta/Campbell & 2019 5th

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That’s true, but some player accountant posted a long thread on Twitter the other day that it’s not as big of an advantage as people think because players have to pay taxes to the state where they play each road game. It’s still an advantage for sure, but I don’t think it’s the only factor.

Yzerman publicly played hardball with Stamkos in a way Bowman never did with the core members.

Bowman did not have the leverage that Steve Y had. The Hawks had already won cups are the Lightning have not.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Bowman did not have the leverage that Steve Y had. The Hawks had already won cups are the Lightning have not.

True, that’s another factor.

It’s hard to ignore the optics though. From the outside, it looks like Bowman gave the core what they wanted, while Yzerman fought for the best deal for the franchise.

We obviously don’t know exactly what happened behind the scenes, but Panik did give us a glimpse into his situation where Bowman came in high.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
For whatever reason, the Hawks refused to play hardball with their core. They clearly chose a different path than the Lightning did.
They also had the contracts which can be stressful back of the mind thoughts out of the way. The lightning have waiting until after their ufa and rfas dont have the secure known case and pay them after they didnt finish.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That’s true, but some player accountant posted a long thread on Twitter the other day that it’s not as big of an advantage as people think because players have to pay taxes to the state where they play each road game. It’s still an advantage for sure, but I don’t think it’s the only factor.

Yzerman publicly played hardball with Stamkos in a way Bowman never did with the core members.

from what I have heard from a majority of people, it is indeed a major factor....literally, players are looking into this more than ever...the only issue is most of these places that can allocate lower taxes are really not top destinations for players...if you want to be in a sunshine state, Florida is muggy as hell and simply not the hot destination- that is California....and now Vegas..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
from what I have heard from a majority of people, it is indeed a major factor....literally, players are looking into this more than ever...the only issue is most of these places that can allocate lower taxes are really not top destinations for players...if you want to be in a sunshine state, Florida is muggy as hell and simply not the hot destination- that is California....and now Vegas..

Interesting, so that conflicts with the other assessment, but I definitely don’t doubt you.

Bare minimum, it’s still 41 games without having to worry about state income tax.

So do you think the Yzerman/Stamkos thing was just a big dog and pony show?

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
I can acknowledge your Malkin argument ... but I'm sorry Ovie was THREE TIME Hart Trophy winner by 2013. One might be a mistake ... but THREE is a trend.

So Toews wants to be paid 11% more than the 3x Hart Trophy winner. And Lord knows Kane had his issues until he finally matured ... which wasn't until the summer of 2015.
Ovi's deal was signed for 13 years and the cap was 15 million dollars less than when Kane and Toews signed their contracts. Its just silly to compare contracts signed during different CBAs.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
For whatever reason, the Hawks refused to play hardball with their core. They clearly chose a different path than the Lightning did.
IMO Rocky doesn't want to risk running fan favorites out of town like his old man did. I wouldn't be surprised if making sure the core players were happy was more of a priority than saving money on their contracts.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
IMO Rocky doesn't want to risk running fan favorites out of town like his old man did. I wouldn't be surprised if making sure the core players were happy was more of a priority than saving money on their contracts.

I think that has something to do with it, but we don’t really know for sure.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Interesting, so that conflicts with the other assessment, but I definitely don’t doubt you.

Bare minimum, it’s still 41 games without having to worry about state income tax.

So do you think the Yzerman/Stamkos thing was just a big dog and pony show?

All I am saying is look at where the top FA destinations are- has nothing to do with tax breaks....just look at the list of FA signings, it really is the exact opposite..

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Nikolai Khabibulin (2005-2009, 2013-14)

If you want to go further back:
- Adam Creighton (1988-1991, 1996-97)
- Dave Manson (1986-1991, 1998-00)
- Dean McAmmond (1991-92, 1998-2001)
- Troy Murray (1981-1991, 1993-94)
- Eddie Olczyk (1984-1987, 1998-00)
- Denis Savard (1980-1990, 1995-97)
- Steve Thomas (1987-1991, 2001-03)
- Jimmy Waite (1988-1993, 1994-97)
- Trent Yawney (1987-1991, 1997-99)

- Al Secord (1980-1987, 1989-1990)

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think there is validity here, and rightfully so...his father was a ****ing *****ebag who did not value loyalty unless you were a season ticket holder (why games weren't televised lol!!!)

Ya, I think it’s hard to pretend the organization negotiates hard with it’s important players. I think that’s a decision made at the top, and the directive is handed down the line to Bowman.

Hell, Rocky almost said as much in his Crain’s interview.

I thought Wirtz's most revealing answer came when I asked him if he had any regrets giving long-term contracts to Toews, Kane and Duncan Keith, all of whom have deals not set to expire until the 2022-23 season.
"No," he said. "It was the right thing to do."

Reactions: AmericanDream

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I get that ... but still, Toews and Kane were not at the level of Crosby, Malkin, and Ovie at the time. All 3 were Hart Trophy winners. That's comparing apples to apples.
How many Cups have those players won at that time?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Well Yzerman's franchise center (Stamkos) has brought exactly 0 Cups to Tampa. Way easier to play hardball when your franchise players haven't won Cups yet.

It's unbelievable that people either don't realize or belittle the influence that championships have on contract negotiations.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Well Yzerman's franchise center (Stamkos) has brought exactly 0 Cups to Tampa. Way easier to play hardball when your franchise players haven't won Cups yet.

It's unbelievable that people either don't realize or belittle the influence that championships have on contract negotiations.

Not only from a player perspective but also from a team perspective. “What have you done to warrant that much money” as well as a little embedded thank you money, do think that was a thing with Seabrook in particular. Toews and Kane were still 24-25. Seabrook had no business getting a lifer deal at that point.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not only from a player perspective but also from a team perspective. “What have you done to warrant that much money” as well as a little embedded thank you money, do think that was a thing with Seabrook in particular. Toews and Kane were still 24-25. Seabrook had no business getting a lifer deal at that point.

Seabrook is really the only deal the should not have been given out ever. Kruger as well but it's impact is not as long term.

Seabrook needs to be a compliance buyout. HE MUST BE A COMPLIANCE BUYOUT.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kruger deal makes some sense if the 1 year deal he accepted after 2015 is assumed to have been a handshake deal. His AAV would have fell to like mid 2s if thats included as a 4th year, which some team would have paid. He was money in that shutdown role. Never seemed to find his game after he broke his wrist. Seabrook should have received 5 years max. IDK what they were thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Kruger deal makes some sense if the 1 year deal he accepted after 2015 is assumed to have been a handshake deal. His AAV would have fell to like mid 2s if thats included as a 4th year, which some team would have paid. He was money in that shutdown role. Never seemed to find his game after breaking his wrist. Seabrook should have received 5 years max. IDK what they were thinking.

I don't disagree.

I am/was a Kruger fan though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad