Horrible press conference by Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
“I lost a lot of respect for him.”

I’m sure he cares what a bunch of fans from opposing teams gurgles here. DoPS screwed it up and shows a complete lack of consistency.

Reactions: untouchable21

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
He doesn’t have any personality other than being whiny and not taking responsibility for his actions, blaming everyone else other than yourself is not a good look

Reactions: Confused Turnip

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Rent free. Quote me all you want you hypocrites. But Jets are done and all you can talk about is Scheifele still. Rent friggin free.

WWvjsAx.gif

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
If I were to guess, I think there's a lot more to the discussion between DoPS and Scheifele than we know of or why Scheifele was fuming mad that whole game. He was fuming about the unprecedented first-time offender punishment before and is clearly still enraged, yet he didn't appeal? Something doesn't add up.

Scheifele handled this press conference badly, but to paint him as a remorseless zealot is just wrong. He's commented that he regrets the hit, but next to no coverage has been given to that apology and his side of the story. And yes, some of our media members have been getting under his skin and asking difficult questions. Blake Wheeler and Paul Maurice get very defensive about when one of them gets singled out by the media, and Scheifele is definitely part of that leadership clique that doesn't take kindly to difficult questions from the media. Wheeler and Scheifele seem to have the opinion that the media alone is out for Maurice's job, but in reality, the fanbase wants answers, too.

Reactions: NeverForget06

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Even if he didn’t believe it, all he had to say was “I screwed up. Heat of the moment. My bad”. And this is done. What a bozo

didn’t Laine get traded in part because of Schefele? This guy is a leader in the locker room and he can’t take some accountability? Lol

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
"the media said we were gonna be bottom feeders"
what a little bitch, most people knew it was going to be Winnipeg/Toronto and then everyone else.

I don't agree with the hit but even most people here had the Jets out of the top 4 in the North. Most of the media assumed we would be below Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal and Calgary in the final standings given our defence. Many even assumed Vancouver would be better.

See for yourself:
Canadian Division Predictions

It's revisionist history to pretend like anyone had Winnipeg in the top 3 to start the season. And I'd say anyone that says they did is full of shit unless they have proof of post.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not going to debate that he intended to hit him or not, we all know he did.

You said, and I quote "You're assuming what happened once was on purpose." Now you are saying that "we all know" he intended to it.

Are you arguing with yourself? You have just said the polar opposite of what you said before. If you think "we all know" he did it on purpose, why on earth did you respond to me questioning my assumption he "intentionally" ran him?

You're suggesting he did it with an attempt to injure and he's always been this big meanie

He ran a guy from one end of the ice to the other. Of course I think he did it with an attempt to injure. You realize he got suspended for this hit because of the egregious nature of the hit, right? It was called a "predatory hit." In handing down the suspension, the league said this: "It is apparent to our department that his intention on this play is to deliver a hard, violent check to an opponent, with the outcome of both the play and the game already having been decided."

How you can watch that game, or watch that play and question whether he intended to injure Evan is puzzling.

Here's a clue: He made no play on the puck.

Here's another clue: He came from nearly 200 feet away to deliver the hit, in a straight line.

As for your nonsense about me saying "he's always been a big meanie" I don't even know what to say. Not only did I never claim that, I also never spoke about him "always" being anything. I said he clearly had impulse issues and a clear lack of respect for other players on the ice.

Well I'm saying it's certainly an outlier and not the norm for him. Call him weird all you want, he's always been a goofy oddball, especially over obsessed with hockey, but I don't believe him to be a malicious person.

I really don't care if it's an outlier, or if it's the exception rather than rule. That doesn't somehow make it better and it certainly doesn't make up for the fact that he has shown zero remorse for a truly vicious play.

If this really was an outlier and "not the norm" for him I would expect him not to make moronic and callous comments about it and take zero responsibility for an extremely reckless, dangerous play.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Edge then, if you don't like the word "anger". Truculence perhaps. I understand it was a charging penalty, but geez, hockey can get a little rough. I think we need to accept that.

Hockey can get rough. But don't kid yourself, that wasn't a hockey play. That was a very frustrated player who had lost control of his emotions and wanted to hurt somebody.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
“I lost a lot of respect for him.”

I’m sure he cares what a bunch of fans from opposing teams gurgles here. DoPS screwed it up and shows a complete lack of consistency.

How many of those fans are Jets fans, though?

Plenty of Leafs fans lost respect for Kadri over time, because he kept ****ing up and costing them when it mattered most.

I'm betting some Avs fans aren't too pleased with him either.

So don't you think it's possible, that there's quite a number of Jets fans who might be a tad miffed that Scheifele did something idiotic and it played a very large part in their playoffs being snuffed out?

I'd say that's very possible, whether or not you'd care to admit it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
He's sort of a jerk and doesn't own up to anything... but at the same time he is kind of right. The 4 game suspension was a little wack ... and the league officiating..DOPs is just garbage.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Plenty of Leafs fans lost respect for Kadri over time, because he kept ****ing up and costing them when it mattered most.

So don't you think it's possible, that there's quite a number of Jets fans who might be a tad miffed that Scheifele did something idiotic and it played a very large part in their playoffs being snuffed out?

Yeah, they lost respect of Kadri "over time".

Yeah, there is probably a couple jets fans that are angry but the vast majority of the people posting are hypocrites that cheer for other teams.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
If I were to guess, I think there's a lot more to the discussion between DoPS and Scheifele than we know of or why Scheifele was fuming mad that whole game. He was fuming about the unprecedented first-time offender punishment before and is clearly still enraged, yet he didn't appeal? Something doesn't add up.

Scheifele handled this press conference badly, but to paint him as a remorseless zealot is just wrong. He's commented that he regrets the hit, but next to no coverage has been given to that apology and his side of the story. And yes, some of our media members have been getting under his skin and asking difficult questions. Blake Wheeler and Paul Maurice get very defensive about when one of them gets singled out by the media, and Scheifele is definitely part of that leadership clique that doesn't take kindly to difficult questions from the media. Wheeler and Scheifele seem to have the opinion that the media alone is out for Maurice's job, but in reality, the fanbase wants answers, too.
Personally, as an Oilers fan, I find Scheifele to be a whiny baby. Long before he swept my team out of the playoffs.

I do however, agree with the bolded above. I found it very interesting that he didn't appeal given that most players do even when they are clearly guilty of a least some penalty. I believe it is Scheifele's, and many other hockey fans' opinion that any amount of games was not deserved (or at least not more than 2). Why not appeal? In my opinion he should and could have got it dropped a game or 2. 4 playoff games is like what? 8 games regular season? at least?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hockey can get rough. But don't kid yourself, that wasn't a hockey play. That was a very frustrated player who had lost control of his emotions and wanted to hurt somebody.
And messed up his chance to hold himself accountable....
What an awful pile of drivel from a guy who played the victim card......tons of fans will have lost respect from this so called good guy, and big time leader?? LOL....

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

The guy has played over 600 NHL games in his career…never suspended, never fined. The guy doesn’t even curse.

I don’t think Jets fans have lost respect for him at all over “reckless play”. He’s as clean as it gets.

Reactions: Saitama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad