Horrible press conference by Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
There's a serious mob mentality at work here. Scheifele made a mistake and paid heavily for it, more than he should have been when you consider other recent DOPS decisions. I don't think he would have stopped the goal even with the poke check, however the play was a lot faster than people seem to want to remember. We see big hits all the time and most of us love them, but because this one ended in an injury, everyone is piling onto him. If Mark had done what it looked like he was trying to do, knock the guy off the puck and head down the ice while the player was getting back up, that might have resulted in a much better scoring chance. But people want to hate him for all eternity now, so I guess there's not likely going to be any convincing you otherwise.

Reactions: dick341

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Personally, as an Oilers fan, I find Scheifele to be a whiny baby. Long before he swept my team out of the playoffs.

I do however, agree with the bolded above. I found it very interesting that he didn't appeal given that most players do even when they are clearly guilty of a least some penalty. I believe it is Scheifele's, and many other hockey fans' opinion that any amount of games was not deserved (or at least not more than 2). Why not appeal? In my opinion he should and could have got it dropped a game or 2. 4 playoff games is like what? 8 games regular season? at least?
Total speculation, but I'm guessing it was made clear to Scheifele that any appeal to Bettman would result in additional games.

Reactions: BLONG7

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
You realize that unsubstantiated rumors of drug abuse can result in legal action against you, right? Just making sure.
There's no reason to believe that Scheifele is on drugs, in a league that takes serious issue against it. Get real.
I heard he eats puppies and spits on old ladies too!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You realize that unsubstantiated rumors of drug abuse can result in legal action against you, right? Just making sure.
There's no reason to believe that Scheifele is on drugs, in a league that takes serious issue against it. Get real.
LOl....easy big fella..............tons of people are saying way worse....just chill big guy.
I simply just responded to someone who said it was crazy.....and it;s not.....did you see what happened at the time of the hit...........he looked absolutely bonkers....

Reactions: Confused Turnip

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Seriously?

Uh... the time he skated from goal line to goal line to blow up a guy who had just scored and the guy got stretchered off the ice?

Are you not aware of the subject of this thread?

GET REAL! You phrase this as he went goal line to goal line to “blow up a guy” who was celebrating a goal when it was more like gliding in from the circles to finish off a check a fraction of a second too late. But go ahead and spin this however you want. Suspension was 2-3 games too many.

Even Claude Lemieux only got 2 games for deliberately hitting Draper in the numbers and mangling his face. Lemieux returned to the series and never missed any Stanley Cup final games.

DOPS is broken and needs an overhaul

Last edited:
Reactions: dick341

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I’m convinced there’s some kind of substance abuse happening with him behind the scenes, he seems unhinged. His eyes in game 1 make me think that. I hope he finds the help he needs.

Can I get your professional opinion on this guy here. Rabid dog look. I hope he finds help as well.
7C80123A-2233-457D-A940-4106872C1506.jpeg

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Oh ffs, come on, this is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree it’s starting to get carried away but also kind of funny how amped people are getting

……Allegedly

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Big time...
Nice guy image sailed away today...DOPS It's their fault....lol
Nice guy image is gone? What will he do?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm guessing most Jets fans are happy that Scheifele still is frustrated and hope that it will light a fire in him to be better next season.

*insert adversity breeds _________" quote here.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
He made an egregious hit and was punished for it. Not surprisingly he gave an emotional response after watching his team get swept. I don't know what the hell he was talking about with regard to "the media" and accusations of "contradicting themselves" and "proving them wrong," I guess because he apparently read some opinions that might have heaped praise on a rival team, but, yeah, he didn't really acquit himself well over the course of this press conference.

Lucky for him, he gets to sit out one more game to start next season which might at last be the perfect time to reflect on not throwing a potentially career ending hit. If he plays the puck, he continues to play in the series, maybe there's a different story. But whining about player safety? ...nah, it's never going to be a cool look.

I mean, outside of online hockey forums, that is. :sarcasm:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Hopefully his shoulders grow into his head at some point. 34L jacket confirmed.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Oh ffs, come on, this is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think he is completely off base. Maybe not anything egregious, but the use of drugs like pseudoephedrine or ephedrine, which is found in over the counter allergy medication is absolutely abused in the NHL.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I’m convinced there’s some kind of substance abuse happening with him behind the scenes, he seems unhinged. His eyes in game 1 make me think that. I hope he finds the help he needs.
I'm guessing you never pushed yourself to the limit while excerising in your entire life if thats the conclusion you came to.

I guess all the track and field runners must be doing drugs because they are wide eyed and redface when they collapse on the ground after a race.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Honestly, Scheifele made the wrong decision with a minute left in a game down a goal. However, there's no precedent for Scheifele's suspension, and if Matthews or McDavid make that hit you know neither are getting 4 games. He has every right to be upset about the dart board the DoPS used to determine his suspension length. He came out and said he was trying to beat Evans to the post to prevent the wrap around, but he was a fraction of a second late. I still think if he kept skating and tried to use his stick and body the way he's talking about he could stop up in front of Evans to make the defensive play and not doze the guy, but that's just the benefit we have of hindsight.

Jets' Mark Scheifele: NHL's department of player safety 'shut me down' - Sportsnet.ca

“I think at the end of the day, you regret the outcome of it. I said that over and over. You never want to see a guy hurt, and I’m a guy that respects this game and respects players,” he said Wednesday, repeating his stance that he was trying to negate a goal when he hit Evans.
“I would’ve loved an answer from [the department of player safety] of what would’ve been a better thing to do. I’ve replayed the thing over and over in my mind and the only real thing is if I gave up on my teammates on that play and just didn’t back check,” Scheifele said.

Do people want him to come out weeping tears and begging for Evans forgiveness or something? Seriously, half his interview gets posted out of context to get the reaction from certain people like the ones posting in this thread trying to smear him as some kind of heartless bastard.

He's full of shit. The proper thing to do is to use his STICK to actually try to PREVENT the goal. He DID give up on his teammates as he CONCEDED the goal in order to get a shot in cause he was angry.

DoPS noted this in their explanation, and it is clear as day on the video that he could've made a proper defensive play on the puck.

This "woe is me" and "I'm the victim here" is pathetic.

Chances are high he talked himself into the 4 game suspension if this is really how he presented it in his hearing

By the way, he did play in this series. The 1st game was 25% of the series. And, he was shut down by Danault.

Really wonder about the Jets leadership/culture since this guy wears an "A" for them.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We already have one thread on this in playoffs forum, don't need two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad