Horrible press conference by Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly this interview tells me everything you need to know about this guy.

Great hockey player and generally I haven't seen him be dirty.

However I think it would be better optics to just say 'I screwed up and I should have put on the breaks more however it was a 1 goal game at the end and all I could think about is skating, I meant no harm and accept the 4 games'

Ye know something along those lines instead blaming DOPS.

Now counter argument is DOPS has been a huge joke and one could argue that this was more games than it was deserved based on past punishments. O well don't charge a player for no reason and he would be in the game.

Honestly, Scheifele made the wrong decision with a minute left in a game down a goal. However, there's no precedent for Scheifele's suspension, and if Matthews or McDavid make that hit you know neither are getting 4 games. He has every right to be upset about the dart board the DoPS used to determine his suspension length. He came out and said he was trying to beat Evans to the post to prevent the wrap around, but he was a fraction of a second late. I still think if he kept skating and tried to use his stick and body the way he's talking about he could stop up in front of Evans to make the defensive play and not doze the guy, but that's just the benefit we have of hindsight.

Jets' Mark Scheifele: NHL's department of player safety 'shut me down' - Sportsnet.ca

“I think at the end of the day, you regret the outcome of it. I said that over and over. You never want to see a guy hurt, and I’m a guy that respects this game and respects players,” he said Wednesday, repeating his stance that he was trying to negate a goal when he hit Evans.
“I would’ve loved an answer from [the department of player safety] of what would’ve been a better thing to do. I’ve replayed the thing over and over in my mind and the only real thing is if I gave up on my teammates on that play and just didn’t back check,” Scheifele said.

Do people want him to come out weeping tears and begging for Evans forgiveness or something? Seriously, half his interview gets posted out of context to get the reaction from certain people like the ones posting in this thread trying to smear him as some kind of heartless bastard.

Last edited:

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
What sort of answers are you expecting of players?
Something less meme-able perhaps? For most people

3sulk8G.jpg

plastering social media is your sign not to double down on your comments.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Which he said.
No, he didn't. He said he's "concerned for Evans", it "sucks someone got hurt", but never said he was sorry for throwing the hit. And from the video today, he obviously still thinks there was no issue with the hit. He's learned nothing....so disappointing

Honestly, Scheifele made the wrong decision with a minute left in a game down a goal. However, there's no precedent for Scheifele's suspension, and if Matthews or McDavid make that hit you know neither are getting 4 games. He has every right to be upset about the dart board the DoPS used to determine his suspension length. He came out and said he was trying to beat Evans to the post to prevent the wrap around, but he was a fraction of a second late. I still think if he kept skating and tried to use his stick and body the way he's talking about he could stop up in front of Evans to make the defensive play and not doze the guy, but that's just the benefit we have of hindsight.
Do we? Really? Have we seen them throw that hit? I love when people say things like this, it's so meaningless.

And I agree, he could've stopped the goal if he played it right. But he didn't and deserved the punishment that was given

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
No, he didn't. He said he's "concerned for Evans", it "sucks someone got hurt", but never said he was sorry for throwing the hit. And from the video today, he obviously still thinks there was no issue with the hit. He's learned nothing....so disappointing

Do we? Really? Have we seen them throw that hit? I love when people say things like this, it's so meaningless.

And I agree, he could've stopped the goal if he played it right. But he didn't and deserved the punishment that was given

McDavid has more than a few stupid plays. Here's one that didn't even get penalized that could have resulted in a serious injury.

This was the one discussed more recently that also comes to mind.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
McDavid has more than a few stupid plays. Here's one that didn't even get penalized that could have resulted in a serious injury.

That's a dangerous play, I agree. I definitely think injuries factor in significantly when it comes to suspensions (and IMO they should), so Oduya getting up immediately vs. Evans being stretchered off is a big difference.

I think the "violence" of both plays are pretty different though, hopefully we can agree on that. McDavid did get a fine for an elbow on Kotkaniemi where there was no injury, so at least he doesn't appear to be immune to supplemental discipline

edit - and this play should've been a minor penalty for sure, crazy that it wasn't

Reactions: Riddum

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What sort of answers are you expecting of players?

Scheifele: "Obviously it's crushing my season was ended..."
But this was a response to the reporter asking, "What are your thoughts about your season being ended." in the full clip.

I thought it seems super weird and selfish first, but then it kinda made sense after I found out how the question was asked.

The response about the DOPS shutting him down then sounds especially crass immediately after that comment but makes sense in context of other comments he's made about that hit. If he said he felt that the ruling seemed like it was a few games too many, it might have seemed less bad IMO. But the comment still seems... off.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
What a punk, lost a lot of respect for him based on recent events. I hope he gets his head out of his ass.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I really admire him as a player, but knew nothing about him as a person. To do something as reckless and dangerous as he did is one thing. But to show the level of remorse he has is actually kind of disturbing.

What he did showed no respect whatsoever to his opponent and it was incredibly dangerous. He doesn't seem to be taking much responsibility at all for his actions and instead of at least pretending to be remorseful he's openly questioning the punishment he received?

I still think he's a skilled hockey player but I also think he's a world class asshole now and I'm no longer a fan.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
That's a dangerous play, I agree. I definitely think injuries factor in significantly when it comes to suspensions (and IMO they should), so Oduya getting up immediately vs. Evans being stretchered off is a big difference.

I think the "violence" of both plays are pretty different though, hopefully we can agree on that. McDavid did get a fine for an elbow on Kotkaniemi where there was no injury, so at least he doesn't appear to be immune to supplemental discipline

I think the violence of the hit is a result of him traveling the length of the ice to negate a goal. I'm mixed on whether injury should matter because I think stupid, dangerous, and avoidable plays, should be punished, regardless of injury, because they have the potential to be as serious in result as the Evans hit. If we only punish the outcome, we are only reacting to the most severe outcomes, and thus there's no real deterrent factor to the suspension, it's simply a punishment.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Seriously?

Uh... the time he skated from goal line to goal line to blow up a guy who had just scored?

Are you not aware of the subject of this thread?

So you're assuming what happened once is on purpose, and that what has occurred in one game is an accurate representation of him as a player and not the 600+ other NHL games he's played? Brilliant observation Dr. Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad