Horrible press conference by Mark Scheifele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Edit: the tone of that press conference wasn't what it made it seem like in this thread, so I will rescind this comment.

The "woe is me" act by Scheifele to say stuff like "you guys thought we'd suck!" is laughable, though. Weren't the Jets in the conference finals like a few years ago, with a big part of the same team?

Reactions: Melrose Munch

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
when Paul Byron was suspended a couple of years ago he released a statement that read:

"I accept and respect the decision made by the DOPS. I would like to make it clear I had no intention of causing injury or finishing my check through Weegar's head.
I think my history and the way I conduct myself on ice show a lack of intent to injure other players. Despite the lack of intent, I have to accept the responsibility for my hit and realize the result of the hit was to the head and caused injury. I would like to sincerely apologize for my hit and wish Weegar all the best and hope he is okay. I've learnt a lesson through this and will make sure any future hits result in a clean and legal fashion."

I mean something like this shows class. What Scheifele said showed... what he is...

It's a great response, certainly an ideal one. However, the stakes are a lot higher in the playoffs. Do you think Paul Byron has nothing to say if the DoPS gives him a 10+ game suspension there in the regular season? No precedent for it. But he probably questions the decision too when guys like Wilson and Reaves run around with their clown antics and get fewer games.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Edit: the tone of that press conference wasn't what it made it seem like in this thread, so I will rescind this comment.

The "woe is me" act by Scheifele to say stuff like "you guys thought we'd suck!" is laughable, though. Weren't the Jets in the conference finals like a few years ago, with a big part of the same team?

Conference finals with Byfuglien, Trouba, Morrissey, Chiarot, Myers, and Enstrom on the back end. It's a big difference from Morrissey, Pionk, Benn, Poolman, Forbort, and Stanley (rookie).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
What a bizarre take.

You think a player who clearly has issues channeling his frustration and impulse control problem needs *more* anger in their game?
Edge then, if you don't like the word "anger". Truculence perhaps. I understand it was a charging penalty, but geez, hockey can get a little rough. I think we need to accept that.

And almost all these comments come from people who almost never watch the Jets and know nothing about the team. He certainly does not have anger issues. He pasted a guy. It was deemed a charging major which rattled the sleepy-heads in the DoPS awake. Scheifele is normally calm and doesn't take a lot of penalties, which made the four game suspension in the playoffs for something that made Scott Stevens a media and fan darling all the more bizarre.

mattef

consider the following...
May 12, 2014
Montreal, QC
It's a great response, certainly an ideal one. However, the stakes are a lot higher in the playoffs. Do you think Paul Byron has nothing to say if the DoPS gives him a 10+ game suspension there in the regular season? No precedent for it. But he probably questions the decision too when guys like Wilson and Reaves run around with their clown antics and get fewer games.
it's still possible to say that you think it's too much but you accept it (especially after the fact) and apologies to the guy
I don't think people care about him criticizing the length of his suspension. it's really about his total absence of remorse

Reactions: Confused Turnip

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
We all know Mark regrets what he did. But I'm surprised he didn't say sorry for what he did and ask how Evans is doing. This is what he should have said first.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I can't say I blame him. It was a terrible call and not worthy of a suspension.
Agreed, it was an unsportsmanlike play for sure but was it a dirty hit?

NO.

He didn’t leave his feet, Didn’t lead with the elbow and Evan’s head WASN’T the target of impact.

Maybe a game at MOST two for the Charge since it happened at the end of the game but even the charge, he slowed down significantly before the hit.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Honestly this interview tells me everything you need to know about this guy.

Great hockey player and generally I haven't seen him be dirty.

However I think it would be better optics to just say 'I screwed up and I should have put on the breaks more however it was a 1 goal game at the end and all I could think about is skating, I meant no harm and accept the 4 games'

Ye know something along those lines instead blaming DOPS.

Now counter argument is DOPS has been a huge joke and one could argue that this was more games than it was deserved based on past punishments. O well don't charge a player for no reason and he would be in the game.

It has been, did you see the $5,000 fine Wilson got?

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Were we expecting him not to be still frustrated or something? Isn't him being frustrated what we always say we want as fans?

We always say we want our players to give it their all and to care about the game as much as we do yet for some reason we expect them to turn off all the feelings and emotions they put into the game at the drop at the hat.
There's a difference between wearing your heart on your sleeve and refusing to take even one modicum of responsibility for a serious injury from behind a smarmy smile.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
He's still a top 10 player in the NHL - according to his mate Wheeler.

Wheeler is still a top six forward on the Jets, according to Wheeler.
To be fair as long as his ability to get anyone that's about to take his spot in the top 6 shipped out of town keeps working, he might be a top 6 forward on the Jets well into his 80s.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Should have gone with that when he went on the phone with the DOPS, maybe he would have got less games.
Also, wtf, does he tries to paint himself as a victim? After crushing another player? No remorses at all.

Reactions: Confused Turnip

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
We all know Mark regrets what he did. But I'm surprised he didn't say sorry for what he did and ask how Evans is doing. This is what he should have said first.

He contacted his Habs teammates to ask how Evans was doing and expressed concern for his health in his first presser. The only thing he's not done is come out and say "I'm sorry Jake Evans for the hit that concussed you". He's said he's sorry about the outcome and that he was trying to make a hockey play, so I get why some people are still a bit miffed, but it's not like he's ignored what happened.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I’m prefacing this by saying I don’t care for the hit,thought it wasn’t necessary.

Hockey fans:I’m so sick of players being cliche and just saying the right thing.

Coaches,GMs,players saying what’s on their minds:

Hockey fans: So classless,shoulda just said the cliche

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
If someone got hit by a car that was speeding I would be upset too.

Even if i found out they didn't look both ways before crossing the road.

Or need to be hospitalized for that matter.

I would call for the death penalty.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
He should go after the media. I watched Pierre Lebrun call him out for this interview and say he needs to learn like Kucherov did for getting suspended and costing his team. Meanwhile last week Kucherov goes out of his way to elbow Brent Pesce in the head last series and not a word is spoken of it.
The hype machine media blew it all up and DOPS peed in their pants and threw the book at him.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Eh I say go for it. NHL needs more personality and he's giving it.

He's exaggerating about the bottom feeder though. Most had them "pegged" as a 9-10 seed team, but the divisional seeding made them a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad