Rumor: Hornqvist to Florida for Matheson

Status
Not open for further replies.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
To be fair, JR DID try to get him back, lol!

I don't what I feel...maybe a little relief but I was warming up to the prospect of Matheson.

Now...if this doesn't go through...do they try something else? JJ+ZAR for Matheson @$4mil?

That said...here's something for people to chew on:

JR said he shopped Horny and wasn't getting the return but then they do pull the trigger on this. That means, logically, this is the BEST return JR found for Horny. If this deal doesn't go through because the contract can't be insured, that will plummet Horny's value or at the very least, give a darn good amount of leverage to the other GM. If this was a cap clearing move...we may be SOL.

Now keeping Horny may be the better overall option at this time vs Matheson but it terrifies me that if it's not Matheson...who does JR go after next?

More ideally, send JJ out to clear space and be done with it.
Florida fan: given league money issues, I think the idea of a playing earning >5M on LTIR terrifies owners especially with Hornqvist's injury history...the cap freedom is nice, but dollars might be a problem. I think a team like Toronto or the Rangers could afford it though :)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
tenor.gif

This is kinda how I feel about this.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
K. Over the last three seasons Matheson has as many ES goals as Barrie, Dumba and OEL.

JJ's zone exit / entires data was much lower than Matheson's. Some Penguin blogger made a comment about that without knowning what they were talking about. He was close to an average player in terms of zone exit / entries and they extrapolated it over a 3 year period.

That's nice, but he also doesn't produce anywhere close to what they do overall and he's terrible defensively.

This is just the Sheary "ES goals" argument all over again and I'd rather not rehash it. Needless to say, ES goals alone don't make any player, but especially a defenseman of all things.

JJ's zone exits were talked about by some of the more reputable analytics guys. Again, I wish the search function here was competent.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I don’t understand the insurance part. If Hornqvist gets injured, can’t they just put him on LTIR?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's nice, but he also doesn't produce anywhere close to what they do overall and he's terrible defensively.

This is just the Sheary "ES goals" argument all over again and I'd rather not rehash it. Needless to say, ES goals alone don't make any player, but especially a defenseman of all things.

JJ's zone exits were talked about by some of the more reputable analytics guys. Again, I wish the search function here was competent.

He has regularly produced ES wise what Dumba and OEL have over the last couple seasons aside from a big time year from Dumba.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If this falls through, I'll be happy. Not because Hornqvist is still here, but because there's a chance JR can find a better return for him than an all-or-nothing guy making way too much money for way too long. Matheson's potential ceiling is intriguing, but that contract is abysmal. Though, nothing matters in two years anyway.

If the trade goes through, hope Matheson can find the next level alongside Marino and under the guidance of Reirden who Niskanen apparently owes his career to.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Do Dumba and OEL get scratched or played at forward?

Are we going to legitimately act like Florida has any clue what they've been doing over the last three or four years?

TBH. When has our scouting staff returned a player that sucks in a trade outside of Jack Johnson?

Like name a trade where we got back a player since Rutherford took over that was out of the league within a couple years of moving on from us because of their play and not their age.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
In this NHL, 20 goals, 50 points, ability to drive play, and grit is worth 5 million. Hornqvist is only slightly overpaid and 3 years is not long. The reason this trade sucks is because Hornqvist definitely had more value than this.

Maybe there is a team out there (Leafs) that feel they are a PH type of player from contending.

They could offer us something better. Our 15th overall back. And Hallander :thumbu:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don’t understand the insurance part. If Hornqvist gets injured, can’t they just put him on LTIR?

Not that kind of insurance. Insurance to cover his actual salary they are still on the hook for regardless. They can go over the cap if he's LTIR'ed and if they bring in another player who's gonna cost near the same or less they are out more in pocket money.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He has regularly produced ES wise what Dumba and OEL have over the last couple seasons aside from a big time year from Dumba.

So if you eliminate Barrie, and PP value, and that one year from Dumba, Matheson has been as productive as those 3 defensemen who he's far, far worse defensively than.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If this officially falls through, Hornqvist is a Pen for life, I can’t see anyone taking his contract uninsured.

Yeah I agree with this. Which I think sucks for the Penguins, but it's whatever.

Hornqvist not being insured basically sends his trade value down the toilet, and it greatly reduces the Penguins ability to make changes this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad