Confirmed with Link: Holy ****, a trade. Mason, Armia, a 2019 7th, and a 2020 4th to MTL for... Simon Bourque.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Kinda sucks, considering he was part of the reason the Jets moved down 10 spots in the 2017 draft.

Veselainen better become an awesome player.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Sip and Avgard sign 1 year deal for undisclosed $

I heard that they let GJETson go to free agency, and is still unsigned.

Seriously doubt that anyone would offer him a contract at this point.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Bumping this purely as self-therapy, as I am having a recurrence of remorse about the loss of Armia.
I've always been a huge fan and predicted his delayed but inevitable development from the time he came to us.

I know, I know, you can't turn back the clock, but the reality that he is on his way to a 40 point season could easily have been extrapolated from his previous two seasons here. In fact, that is exactly what I posted upon his departure (below).

As of today, he's got 6 points in 12 games, none on the PP, and one short-handed goal. It would have been so nice to have him as part of the Jets in Helsinki, and we sure could have used him on the PK yesterday...not that we would have needed him as much, if he'd been in the lineup instead of Jets problem-child 2.0.

Right now, the trade of Armia is at the top of my list of big boo-boos, ahead of the Pav re-signing and Sutter/Logan drafts, because it comes at such a critical time in the Jets' evolution as a contender.

Agree with this synopsis from this article:
Joel Armia’s playoff performance wasn’t just an outlier
"He adds a heavy forechecking game, outstanding possession metrics, and the ability to play up and down the lineup as needed."

In fact, I posted essentially the same thing in the Canadians forum a couple of days earlier:
"... IF he stays healthy and IF given the opportunity, he will give you 40 points. Armia is a big, talented middle six winger who can play anywhere in the lineup, in all situations and is a possession beast. You will be very happy with him. "

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147766933/

Very sad to see him go and would not be surprised to see him flourish in Mtl.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Bumping this purely as self-therapy, as I am having a recurrence of remorse about the loss of Armia.
I've always been a huge fan and predicted his delayed but inevitable development from the time he came to us.

I know, I know, you can't turn back the clock, but the reality that he is on his way to a 40 point season could easily have been extrapolated from his previous two seasons here. In fact, that is exactly what I posted upon his departure (below).

As of today, he's got 6 points in 12 games, none on the PP, and one short-handed goal. It would have been so nice to have him as part of the Jets in Helsinki, and we sure could have used him on the PK yesterday...not that we would have needed him as much, if he'd been in the lineup instead of Jets problem-child 2.0.

Right now, the trade of Armia is at the top of my list of big boo-boos, ahead of the Pav re-signing and Sutter/Logan drafts, because it comes at such a critical time in the Jets' evolution as a contender.

I agree. Quite a few of us railed against this move at the time. I get the cap space argument, but my sense is that Armia was/is one of those players whose skillset and overall value may be more important than generally given credit for, and I think he was a significant factor in the Jets' success last year, by making few mistakes and being able to shut things down in any zone. We were a stronger and more confident team with him, despite his scoring inconsistency, and there's no obvious replacement in the system I can think of (Samberg, maybe).

I think it was a last-ditch, low-percentage move by Chevy to sign Stats, and I don't think he valued Armia appropriately, though he did well in signing Croissant. It's the crappy endpoint of the Mason/Kuli deals that are going to haunt us right through next season, and a reminder of how hard it is do be a GM, thinking in the past, present and future all at the same time.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm trying, but your therapeutic approach isn't helping.

Try this:" I feel your pain, and understand loss, but think of all the positive things in your life....."
but really, what do you want from us?
40 points on an odd Montreal team. let's put it in perspective.
i warmed up to Armia last year. but dude goes ice cold. he has a sub-par shot. and he looked pretty ungreat in the playoffs, if i recall correctly.
at his age, he likely is what he is.

let's look at some of the studs that ahead of him pointwise on the Habs:
Tartar (couldn't get much ice time with Vegas)
Lehkonen
Paul f'ing Byron
Danault

call Armia what he is: a good glue guy not worth the glue contract for most teams, and who is making the best of his situation in Montreal.
put him on most other NHL teams and he's not putting up a 40 pt season.

Reactions: sipowicz

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have to agree with Hannu, here.

I really liked Joel Armia. I would have loved him to stay.

But people complaining our forward corps is not deep now because we lost Armia, Stasny and Dano is more a product of the way our current forwards have started the season, not the loss of those 3.

Stasny of course would have been nice to keep for center depth and to strengthen the top 6, BUT the moves that were made were absolutely necessary for the Jets at this point in their development cycle. I'd bet the Jets go out and get another veteran center like Stasny at the TD this year. It's cheaper, and you still get the net benefit whilst not paying all the dollars. You also let younger guys develop in their roles during the regular season.

We have forwards who have to sink or swim so we can make decisions on them.
We could not afford to pay Stasny considering what we will have to hand out in contracts over the next few years.

This is mostly a reaction of Lemieux having a relapse and costing us a game. Many players do that. Honestly, He had been playing a very controlled (and pretty darned effective) game up until that point. I think (hope) this will be another learning moment in his development. I still see a guy there with real skill, and guys who play with skill, grit, and purpose are VERY important on playoff teams.

Reactions: KingBogo

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
i warmed up to Armia last year. but dude goes ice cold. he has a sub-par shot. and he looked pretty ungreat in the playoffs, if i recall correctly.

Lehkonen
Paul f'ing Byron
Danault

call Armia what he is: a good glue guy not worth the glue contract for most teams, and who is making the best of his situation in Montreal.
You are entitled to your opinion....even if it is wrong :popcorn:
Armia has not plateaued--that has been my point all along--he is a late bloomer who is on track for 40 points using the eye test and his past 2 years' trajectory...on a Montreal team that currently has a better winning percentage than the Jets.
If you read my initial bump, I'm not out to convince anyone of anything here, but I do strongly believe that a $1.85M versatile possession-beast, excellent PKer--and 5x5 point producer --is exactly what the Jets need right now (if for nothing else than to get Wheeler's time down on the PK) and to win over the next couple of years.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
You are entitled to your opinion....even if it is wrong :popcorn:
Armia has not plateaued--that has been my point all along--he is a late bloomer who is on track for 40 points using the eye test and his past 2 years' trajectory...on a Montreal team that currently has a better winning percentage than the Jets.
If you read my initial bump, I'm not out to convince anyone of anything here, but I do strongly believe that a $1.85M versatile possession-beast, excellent PKer--and 5x5 point producer --is exactly what the Jets need right now (if for nothing else than to get Wheeler's time down on the PK) and to win over the next couple of years.
if you don't want to compare the east vs west, then it's up to you.
if you want to ignore Price in net for the Habs, go ahead.
if you think that Mtl having played 2 fewer games and being 1 point behind Wpg equals a sound "winning %" argument with a sample size of a dozen games, then go ahead.
if you think a 25.5 year old qualifies as a late bloomer, then go ahead.
Armia is a possession beast. he is not a points beast.
you can possess all you like but if you don't convert....

know what else the Jets need now? to allow guys like Roslo or Petan or Lemieux or, eventually, Appleton and Vesalainen, to develop on the NHL ice. not going to do that without moving some of your soldiers.

like i said, onward and upward

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
In a cap world these things need to happen. I liked watching Armia, strong stick, great on forecheck. But cap forces teams to move on from players. It's just too bad Roslo has been buried and things haven't panned out for our third line.
I'd still like to see Lowry line and Perreault Roslo Petan play equal minutes as a bottom six. Deployment is bothering me a bit this year and I'm a pmo fan.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Just saw "Confirmed with Link - a trade" and was like, what? Who? Where? For what? :laugh:
Don't do that! :laugh:

Can't rate it ahead of the Stanley draft, but I hated that trade too. We are missing that secondary scoring. We are missing that with him we would have 4 lines. We are missing him on the PK. If we still had him, Scheif and Wheeler could be PK'ing less, getting overused less.

Reactions: scelaton

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
just wait until people cry over Copp and/or Lowry walking

The Jets aren't letting Lowry go. They'll dump Little before that.

As to the thread, was sad to see Armia go, but we had to pay to get rid of Mason.

Would hurt less if we had signed one of Trouba/Mo to a long term deal.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I have to agree with Hannu, here.

I really liked Joel Armia. I would have loved him to stay.

But people complaining our forward corps is not deep now because we lost Armia, Stasny and Dano is more a product of the way our current forwards have started the season, not the loss of those 3.

Stasny of course would have been nice to keep for center depth and to strengthen the top 6, BUT the moves that were made were absolutely necessary for the Jets at this point in their development cycle. I'd bet the Jets go out and get another veteran center like Stasny at the TD this year. It's cheaper, and you still get the net benefit whilst not paying all the dollars. You also let younger guys develop in their roles during the regular season.

We have forwards who have to sink or swim so we can make decisions on them.
We could not afford to pay Stasny considering what we will have to hand out in contracts over the next few years.

This is mostly a reaction of Lemieux having a relapse and costing us a game. Many players do that. Honestly, He had been playing a very controlled (and pretty darned effective) game up until that point. I think (hope) this will be another learning moment in his development. I still see a guy there with real skill, and guys who play with skill, grit, and purpose are VERY important on playoff teams.

That's not the substance of my complaint at all. My point was that Armia's value may have been more than this point contributions, and that the things he did well happen to be the things few of our other forwards seem to do well. That's not the case with Dano (or anyone else we let go).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Lehkonen
Paul f'ing Byron
Danault

I would have been happy to have him back and duplicate last season. The 30 pts is enough to be missed. It was his defensive play, his forecheck and PK that were more valuable than his scoring.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lemieux was fine until this last game where he channeled the energy of his father. I hope the team sends him back to the AHL for the rest of the season as a disciplinary measure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad