Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Still a great trade for the franchise.

But I am very, very high on White.
No one is saying otherwise. I'm talking about Dorion's trades. Could've been more clear I guess.

Anyways, only trade Dorion has made that has had me optimistic in his tenure is the Brassard for Gustavsson + 1st. Even then, you remember we traded Zibanejad and a 2nd for him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Getting Gustavsson and a 1st for Brass may also turn out nicely - it certainly has the potential to be a steal if Gustavsson ends up as our #1 goalie in two years...

Yeah, that one's not bad at all. I think we can get a real quality player at 22 as well, though with our luck the best player on the board will be one of the russians and we'll pass on him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Colin White hasn't exactly impressed yet.

Disagree.

I love how he plays. Now admittedly I have been wrong about a lot of players but lots of people seem to think very highly of him.

He has had injury problems, that is really unfortunate because he also had mono his draft year (or the year before?) so he has missed out on a lot of development time.

But he has great vision. He has a good ceiling.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, this might go against the grain a bit, but imo Karlsson potentially owns some of the blame here.

Clearly, the issue between him Hoffman and their respective wives/fiancé goes back well before this all became public.

So why didn't he make it clear there was an irreconcilable issues to Dorion prior to the deadline? Why didn't he and his wife hold off until after the draft to put in a peace bond application to allow Dorion to trade the guy? He must have known this would destroy the teams leverage in a trade.

The only way Karlsson doesn't own part of this mess is if he made it clear to Dorion what was going on and gave him time to fix it. If Karlsson did that, the blood is on Dorion's hands alone. But if he didn't do that, he owns part of it. I say this completely recognizing that you don't always act rationally when dealing with tragedy, and the kind of stress he must be going through regardless of whether or not these allegations turn out to be true or not, so I don't blame him, but I think it's important to acknowledge that there is more than one person who didn't handle this whole situation as well as they could have.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Whatever Hoffman's value might've been after recent events, no one can deny the fact that getting an arguable cap dump bottom 6 player for a player who scored 176 points in his last 234 games is absolutely disastrous for the franchise going forward.

The team should've solved this issue - starting from the top - before it came to this and get value back for a quality player. This is just awful. The fact that the Sharks immediately flipped Hoffman for a still weak return relative to Hoffman's quality but nonetheless a way better return than what Ottawa got, is just salt in the wounds.

That to me is the one thing we need to remember in all this. If we weren't running a "bare bone" organisation, and had decent, smart people in charge, the Hoffman situation would have been dealt with internally long ago, and the Karlssons wouldn't have felt the need to go to court and therefore gotten this out to the public. Yes, you might still have had to deal Hoffman, but it would have been from a position of power. It's too easy to say Dorion's hands were tied here as if he didn't know about this long enough ago not to get himself painted into a corner.

Then again, with Melnyk at the helm, it does seem like whatever is the worst thing that can happen, will happen.

Call it the Euge Effect if you will.

Reactions: Deku

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That to me is the one thing we need to remember in all this. If we weren't running a "bare bone" organisation, and had decent, smart people in charge, the Hoffman situation would have been dealt with internally long ago, and the Karlssons wouldn't have felt the need to go to court and therefore gotten this out to the public. Yes, you might still have had to deal Hoffman, but it would have been from a position of power. It's too easy to say Dorion's hands were tied here as if he didn't know about this long enough ago not to get himself painted into a corner.

Then again, with Melnyk at the helm, it does seem like whatever is the worst thing that can happen, will happen.

Call it the Euge Effect if you will.

Good point, perhaps Karlsson didn't feel comfortable with Management's ability to handle the situation. I know I have zero confidence in them.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I know i posted this in the other thread, but im surprised it isnt noted yet.

Patrick O'Sullivan is claiming that Karlsson is also disliked in the room in his follow up to that tweet about Hoffman.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hoffman needed to go at all cost and we knew that we wouldnt be able to get his full value in a trade.
It's frustrating but we didnt have any other option. On the bright side Boedker played with Duchene in the past and had some success while he was in Colorado. Maybe they will be able to regain that past chemistry.

You know who was developing really good chemistry with Duchene?

Ah forget it this is too depressing.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I know i posted this in the other thread, but im surprised it isnt noted yet.

Patrick O'Sullivan is claiming that Karlsson is also disliked in the room in his follow up to that tweet about Hoffman.

I've got news for you: Patrick O'Sullivan is a joke and most people don't put any trust in his opinion or "insight".

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
You know who was developing really good chemistry with Duchene?

Ah forget it this is too depressing.

Yeah i know what you mean , believe me i understand how you feel. Bottom line Hoffman needed to go and Dorion had absolutely no leverage in the trade. All things consider and taking for granted ( if the rumour is true ) that the Sens wanted a player back in the deal , i think we did ok .

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Yeah i know what you mean , believe me i understand how you feel. Bottom line Hoffman needed to go and Dorion had absolutely no leverage in the trade. All things consider and taking for granted ( if the rumour is true ) that the Sens wanted a player back in the deal , i think we did ok .

I'll refer you to my post above where I remind people that a smart team would have never let this situation get to the point it did. It's no coincidence that the Senators almost always seem to find themselves having their hand forced to make bad trades.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I know the Sens were never going to win a trade with Hoffman but just once under Dorion I'd like to read the headline of a trade and not immediately say "why"...no spinning it saying it could work in the future or addition by subtraction or whatever. Just one good trade...

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I've got news for you: Patrick O'Sullivan is a joke and most people don't put any trust in his opinion or "insight".
Gotcha. Alright well then no big news. I felt like id seen the one about Hoffman making the rounds as if it were confirmation, and thought id point out that his follow up said both him and Karlsson are disliked.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The evil Toronto based media confirmed to be correct about Hoffman's value. These two trades all but confirm that relative to his skill level, there's no real interest in Hoffman. I was reading the thread this morning, unable to reply, and I was astounded at how many people were down on Dorion for such a bad return. As if they have been living on a different planet for the last week when everybody (oh except Garrioch and Burke) have been stating that Hoffman's value had cratered, and that Dorion would have to take an L on this one.

What Dorion deserves is grief for either not fully exploring all his options, or insisting on getting a player back for Hoffman rather than the three draft picks San Jose acquired.

Why this team would rather have Boedker instead of a 2nd+two late picks? I guess there's an argument that Boedker might get a 3rd round pick at the deadline two years from now, but that's far from guaranteed. The only way it makes sense to me is if we're re-signing Karlsson and keeping the 4th overall pick. The former is looking less and less likely as of now.

I think there should have been some sort of conditional future pick in this trade that activated if Hoffman was traded at later date or re-signed. THIS IS NOT HINDSIGHT, I am not saying this in response to SJS flipping him, I brought up a similar idea earlier during the week in the trade thread. Hoffman is clearly a player whose value could potentially re-adjust 1 to 2 years down the line if this off ice situation is resolved. There should have been some sort of provisions in the deal to make sure the Senators get compensated in that situation. Something like a conditional 1st or 2nd round pick in 2021 to OTT if Hoffman is re-signed or traded.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'll refer you to my post above where I remind people that a smart team would have never let this situation get to the point it did. It's no coincidence that the Senators almost always seem to find themselves having their hand forced to make bad trades.

You are 100% in your statement , but whats done is done and we had no other choice.
We were in a position of weakness vs all the other GMs because this whole story turned into a ******

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The evil Toronto based media confirmed to be correct about Hoffman's value. These two trades all but confirm that relative to his skill level, there's no real interest in Hoffman. I was reading the thread this morning, unable to reply, and I was astounded at how many people were down on Dorion for such a bad return. As if they have been living on a different planet for the last week when everybody (oh except Garrioch and Burke) have been stating that Hoffman's value had cratered, and that Dorion would have to take an L on this one.

What Dorion deserves is grief for either not fully exploring all his options, or insisting on getting a player back for Hoffman rather than the three draft picks San Jose acquired.

Why this team would rather have Boedker instead of a 2nd+two late picks? I guess there's an argument that Boedker might get a 3rd round pick at the deadline two years from now, but that's far from guaranteed. The only way it makes sense to me is if we're re-signing Karlsson and keeping the 4th overall pick. The former is looking less and less likely as of now.

I think there should have been some sort of conditional future pick in this trade that activated if Hoffman was traded at later date or re-signed. THIS IS NOT HINDSIGHT, I am not saying this in response to SJS flipping him, I brought up a similar idea earlier during the week in the trade thread. Hoffman is clearly a player whose value could potentially re-adjust 1 to 2 years down the line if this off ice situation is resolved. There should have been some sort of provisions in the deal to make sure the Senators get compensated in that situation. Something like a conditional 1st or 2nd round pick in 2021 to OTT if Hoffman is re-signed or traded.

You talk like Dorion has anything resembling foresight. I'm sure he was completely blindsided by the flip to Florida, slapped his forehead and yelled out a "D'oh!" when he got the news.

He's just really not that smart.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Gotcha. Alright well then no big news. I felt like id seen the one about Hoffman making the rounds as if it were confirmation, and thought id point out that his follow up said both him and Karlsson are disliked.

Grain of salt but I know people that have met EK and I've heard certain things and I'll just say more than a couple people think he's a bit of a douchebag.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
People seriously don't see why Dorion wanted a player back for trading away our only proven top 6 left winger?

You might not like it but why he wanted a player, who can actually play games, is pretty self-evident. If you want picks then you don't want Karlsson to stay.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Grain of salt but I know people that have met EK and I've heard certain things and I'll just say more than a couple people think he's a bit of a *****ebag.
I wouldnt be surprised. I have assumed most of these guys are, i mean theyre idolized from youth and filthy rich, its bound to happen. Its more of a on what scale are we talking here.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
People seriously don't see why Dorion wanted a player back for trading away our only proven top 6 left winger?

You might not like it but why he wanted a player, who can actually play games, is pretty self-evident. If you want picks then you don't want Karlsson to stay.
I think he'll do the same with Karlsson too. He'll go after roster players instead of futures and be content to tread water for years. Something like Stralman, Palat, 2nd/3rd,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad