Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Disagree.

I love how he plays. Now admittedly I have been wrong about a lot of players but lots of people seem to think very highly of him.

He has had injury problems, that is really unfortunate because he also had mono his draft year (or the year before?) so he has missed out on a lot of development time.

But he has great vision. He has a good ceiling.

I'm glad someone likes him. I haven't given up yet but I just haven't really seen much from him so far. Hopefully he changes my mind.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think he'll do the same with Karlsson too. He'll go after roster players instead of futures and be content to tread water for years. Something like Stralman, Palat, 2nd/3rd,

It makes me sick that I know this will likely be what the return looks like. Basically a much bigger version of the Dahlen trade.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'll say it again: Patrick O'Sullivan is a bad hot take machine and you have to wonder if half of what he says isn't made up or greatly embellished.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Yikes, almost 40 pages behind already. There's no way I'm reading all those opinions. I'm underwhelmed by the trade, but that was always going to be the case given the shot to his value.

It does seem to be a pretty clear indication that we are not going into tank mode. I assume getting the NHL player versus futures is meant to be a clear indication to Karlsson that we intend to turn it around next season. If we can re-sign Karlsson after this, then I'll be satisfied with the deal.

It'll never be a great deal, but if there's any chance of retaining Karlsson, then Hoffman had to go ASAP... if this was the best deal on the table and Karlsson stays, then okay.

Reactions: Sensung

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I wonder if Bods coming to Ottawa has any bit in making Duchene happy? Curious if the guys got along at all in his brief stint in Denver. They might make decent linemates.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I know i posted this in the other thread, but im surprised it isnt noted yet.

Patrick O'Sullivan is claiming that Karlsson is also disliked in the room in his follow up to that tweet about Hoffman.

So the couple of Sens players who told POS all this were Hoffman and #65.

Hoffman: Erik is a locker room cancer.
Karlsson: "Hoff is a locker room piece of shit!"
POS: "Wait a minute that's my name Erik!!"

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The evil Toronto based media confirmed to be correct about Hoffman's value. These two trades all but confirm that relative to his skill level, there's no real interest in Hoffman. I was reading the thread this morning, unable to reply, and I was astounded at how many people were down on Dorion for such a bad return. As if they have been living on a different planet for the last week when everybody (oh except Garrioch and Burke) have been stating that Hoffman's value had cratered, and that Dorion would have to take an L on this one.

What Dorion deserves is grief for either not fully exploring all his options, or insisting on getting a player back for Hoffman rather than the three draft picks San Jose acquired.

Why this team would rather have Boedker instead of a 2nd+two late picks? I guess there's an argument that Boedker might get a 3rd round pick at the deadline two years from now, but that's far from guaranteed. The only way it makes sense to me is if we're re-signing Karlsson and keeping the 4th overall pick. The former is looking less and less likely as of now.

I think there should have been some sort of conditional future pick in this trade that activated if Hoffman was traded at later date or re-signed. THIS IS NOT HINDSIGHT, I am not saying this in response to SJS flipping him, I brought up a similar idea earlier during the week in the trade thread. Hoffman is clearly a player whose value could potentially re-adjust 1 to 2 years down the line if this off ice situation is resolved. There should have been some sort of provisions in the deal to make sure the Senators get compensated in that situation. Something like a conditional 1st or 2nd round pick in 2021 to OTT if Hoffman is re-signed or traded.
Hoffman is 28 years old. No way his value goes up in 2 years as a 30 year old.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I'll refer you to my post above where I remind people that a smart team would have never let this situation get to the point it did. It's no coincidence that the Senators almost always seem to find themselves having their hand forced to make bad trades.
How does a "smart team" control what what the girlfriend of a player writes on the internet? The Sens do some dumb things but you are really reaching here!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How does a "smart team" control what what the girlfriend of a player writes on the internet? The Sens do some dumb things but you are really reaching here!

It's not about controlling people. It's about instilling a strong culture and sense of accountability within the organization, so the people control themselves.

You think there's a bunch of workers in Rome ripping off the vatican and cutting corners doing their jobs? No way...it's considered an honor and privilege to be a part of it, and people are on their best behavior to try and maintain the high standards and their position within the organization. Anyone who screws around is removed immediately.

Having an organization where employees from management to player are acting out and showing poor integrity and standards....that lack of respect comes from the top.

This team feels like it's on a constant rotation of substitute teachers in the classroom. No accountability, no control, no respect between teacher, pupil or peers. And nothing being accomplished.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think he'll do the same with Karlsson too. He'll go after roster players instead of futures and be content to tread water for years. Something like Stralman, Palat, 2nd/3rd,

I am inclined to disagree.

As we have seen with OEL contract details can be worked out before July 1st.

Dorion and Karlsson know where each other stands and Dorion just did Karlsson a solid. He had to but he came through and he got a middle 6 LW back.

This tells me Dorion thinks Karlsson is going to re-sign. If not, then he would have traded Hoffman for picks rather than want a body back.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think Boedker will be similar to Michalek. Fast, high draft pick, good, not great player, can play either wing, has talent but haven’t completely put it together.

I think he’ll be a serviceable player for us. Good, but not great. I’m hoping he can improve on his 37 point season. 45 points would be allright.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think Boedker will be similar to Michalek. Fast, high draft pick, good, not great player, can play either wing, has talent but haven’t completely put it together.

I think he’ll be a serviceable player for us. Good, but not great. I’m hoping he can improve on his 37 point season. 45 points would be allright.

Fine with that, I loved 9MM. Those middle six players that can slide up the lineup in case of injuries are very important in the playoffs.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, but we have to make the playoffs first.

:)

Very true, but I don't think the Sens are as far away from that as most people think. The team looks like a circus at the moment, but we have a very solid core. Proper retool this offseason (and yes a retool can be done in one offseason), Anderson getting back to normal, and a few prospects making the jump the the NHL and I think we're right back in the playoff hunt.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It's not about controlling people. It's about instilling a strong culture and sense of accountability within the organization, so the people control themselves.

You think there's a bunch of workers in Rome ripping off the vatican and cutting corners doing their jobs? No way...it's considered an honor and privilege to be a part of it, and people are on their best behavior to try and maintain the high standards and their position within the organization. Anyone who screws around is removed immediately.

Having an organization where employees from management to player are acting out and showing poor integrity and standards....that lack of respect comes from the top.

This team feels like it's on a constant rotation of substitute teachers in the classroom. No accountability, no control, no respect between teacher, pupil or peers. And nothing being accomplished.[/QUOTE

Is this the same church that had hundreds of priests and bishops that sexually abused children and did little or nothing about it? Come on, many reputable organizations have issues . To claim this issue was the Senators fault or they allowed it to happen is just plain wrong!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

How does any business/organisation keep things amicable and things running smoothly?

This isn't rocket science. It has been reported that this was known as early as last winter, and at the latest in march. If you don't think a good GM wouldn't have corrected this issue long before it got to this point you are mistaken. Problem players get moved all the time, or there's some backstage mending going on. This never should have gotten to court and forced PD to move Hoffman for scraps.

Obviously the Hoffmans are primarily to blame for instigating this whole debacle, but there's a pattern in Ottawa that clearly demonstrates a lack of organisational oversight.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The draft picks make no sense in this deal. San Jose doesn’t do this deal without the picks? How do we give up the higher pick? No sense does this make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad