Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We all know what they're gonna say if and when they finally step to a mic. Boedker is a great player and we're happy to add him to the organization, this was a good hockey deal for both sides.

Oct 10, 2010
He's on the team today.
He wanted Hoffman gone.
We will offer a contract ASAP.
Contract talks have been on-going and if the team did not think there was a good chance of re-signing Karlsson they might not have moved Hoffman if they knew they had to trade Karlsson.

This is all fairly straight forward stuff. He might leave but considering all that happened, Dorion is giving himself the best chance to retain Karlsson with today's trade.

That is the best we can hope for. Erik's decision is his own, you can't control it, just influence it.
You have link can't find the audio would love to have a listen

Oct 10, 2010
Why i don't think trading Hoffman means anything now with regards to Karlsson staying is because of the reports that just came out mentioning how Mike wasn't well liked by other members of the team - So you needed to trade the guy regardless.

Oct 10, 2010
Everyone i follow expects Karlsson to get traded at some point - Nobody has been talking about how we wanna re-sign him ... AT ALL
I believe he's gone 100%

Reactions: Duncstar

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Everyone i follow expects Karlsson to get traded at some point - Nobody has been talking about how we wanna re-sign him ... AT ALL
I believe he's gone 100%

Of course he's being traded. At some point in the next 10 days most likely.

After it happens a few things will be reported:

1. The Senators never put a genuine offer on the table for Karlsson. There were no substantial contract talks.
2. Dorion had orders that Ryan had to be included in the deal, which limited the return.

Oct 10, 2010
Of course he's being traded. At some point in the next 10 days most likely.

After it happens a few things will be reported:

1. The Senators never put a genuine offer on the table for Karlsson. There were no substantial contract talks.
2. Dorion had orders that Ryan had to be included in the deal, which limited the return.
Or 3. Karlsson didn't wanna re-sign here which looks terrible on the franchise as well.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
I don't get it. If they're planning on trading karlsson why would they also move hoffman aswell? If your trading karlsson then you have no reason to trade hoffman.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think
Oct 10, 2010
I don't get it. If they're planning on trading karlsson why would they also move hoffman aswell? If your trading karlsson then you have no reason to trade hoffman.
The reason is he wasn't liked by other members of the team - it;'s just not about the Karlsson chaos wish it was but it isn't according to reports anyways.

Sounds like he needed to be traded regardless of King Karl's fate.

Reactions: sens13
Oct 10, 2010
Realistically, there's no scenario where we trade Karlsson and look good doing it.

At this point, the goal is just trying to mitigate the damage as much as possible.
That's true but i get this feeling that they'll blame the player for not wanting to be here thinking this makes them look better when in reality it's the franchise's fault.
We shall see soon.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why i don't think trading Hoffman means anything now with regards to Karlsson staying is because of the reports that just came out mentioning how Mike wasn't well liked by other members of the team - So you needed to trade the guy regardless.

I've been on the trade Hoffman bandwagon for months. Never liked his attitude. Never liked his lack of compete. Never wanted a young team exposed to a guy like that. Not at all surprised to hear he wasn't well like...you could see it in goal celebrations when it was him that scored.

I'm glad he's gone.

And I said a long time ago that people here would be disappointed in the return....long before the social media hit. Guys like him....and the pros all know what kind of player he is....don't return a lot.

Reactions: aligator

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

It's possible that the Caryk-Karlsson incident, and the fallout surrounding it, soured the rest of the team on Hoffman as well.

Honestly, as bad as the deal was that saw Hoff leave, it probably needed to be done regardless of Karlsson's status going forward.

Reactions: Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

you think the rest of those guys in the room want him there? whether EK gets traded or not Hoffman wouldn't be welcome back.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I believe he's gone 100%

Now what article are the audiences more likely to click on ?

Karlsson going to sign with Ottawa

Or

Karlsson likely gone from Ottawa

Not saying he's going to sign I'm just saying dont focus too much on what "insiders" are saying.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Putting all the bs aside for a minute, I don't watch any SJ games, is Boedker at least decent? Seems like he's got some speed and at least potential for hitting 20 with good linemates. I used to like him a lot like 5 years ago.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It's possible that the Caryk-Karlsson incident, and the fallout surrounding it, soured the rest of the team on Hoffman as well.

Honestly, as bad as the deal was that saw Hoff leave, it probably needed to be done regardless of Karlsson's status going forward.

Patrick O’Sullivan was talking about the trade on NHL Radio a couple of hours ago. He said he spoke to a couple of players on the Senators who said Hoffman was “not well liked” even before the recent news. O’Sullivan said they even told him he could use their names but decided not to. Said the only player he knew like that from his own playing days was Sean Avery who was universally despised by his teammates. So I guess Hoffman was tolerable enough before, but the accusations made him absolutely radioactive.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I'm from British Columbia so take my opinion with a grain (or pitcher, if you like) of salt.

I think you're right that the Sens needed to move Hoffman regardless of their hopes of extending Karlsson.

Closely related to the teammates issue that you mentioned is that other Sens' wives/girlfriends have come out in support of Melinda Karlsson and against Caryk, which would make having Hoffman in the dressing room problematic regardless of what the Karlsson situation is.

Another factor is that we're less than two weeks away from Free Agent Frenzy. While the Sens aren't going to be looking at the high-profile free agents, imo having an unsettled locker room would have created some concern for the second and third-tier free agents that the Sens might be interested in to fill holes or provide depth. It might have ended up making no difference, but if a player is facing a close choice between two offers, an unsettled Senators' locker room could be enough to tip the scales in favour of the other team.

Reactions: Variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad