Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"Not liking trading guys within the division" is not the same as "steadfastly refusing to trade within the division or even talk to GMs in the division".

I'm not bringing this up because I am defending Dorion, I only bring it up because I hate arguments that don't make sense and feel the need to point out that even when two people are on the same side of a debate, that arguments that don't hold up to even the most basic logical thought exercise usually does more to hurt one's position than help it.

I hate this deal as much as anyone but there is still a lot of comments that I find puzzling in this thread. Like if people were reaching and distorting the reality to make it seem even worse. I find this useless and a waste of time/bandwidth.

It's a bad deal plain and simple, where you swap a legit 1st liner for a 2nd/3rd line tweener. There is things to consider though :

1) Hoffman's toxic situation with EK so Dorion was dealt a shitty hand and had to move him fast if he plans to re-sign Karlsson
2) The fact that the Sens save 2.65 M$ each of the next 2 years
3) They also get a prospect even though they slightly downgrade a late pick in 2 years.

I get that people disagree with the direction the Sens are going, but it is pretty clear they intend to try and re-sign EK and compete for a playoff spot next season.

And they have no choice to do so as they don't have a 1st round pick next year. I believe they would have never traded Hoffman if there wasn't bad blood with the Karlssons.

The Duchene trade is actually one of Dorion deals I don't dislike, but if that first round pick becomes a high one, it becomes ugly. If it is out of the top-10, I'm fine with the deal. Duchene is younger and a significant upgrade on Turris. Giving 2 late firsts to make that upgrade is worth it IMO but obviously, it can't be a high pick.

This is very important because that deal was key to the franchise. They have to do everything that is possible to give themselves a chance next season. The worry is how much Melnyk is ready to invest to make it happen?

To me, that deal shows a step in that direction because Boedker (even if not as good as Hoffman) is an everyday NHLer and Bergman could be close to make his NHL debut in the near future.

Not when it's a repetitive cycle. It's definitely absurd that one franchise can **** up so much in such a short time frame.

When things aren't going to complete dog****, I won't call out things for being dog****.

This team is dog****, from top to bottom.

Dear God, some of you dramatize way too easily.

This team had a very bad and disappointing season that's true but if you look at things since the 2011 rebuild, it really ain't that bad. Made the playoffs 4 out of 7 years, won 3 rounds and came very close to reach the SCF 1 year ago. Even the 2 years they missed prior to last season, they weren't that far with 88 and 85 pts.

The big problem and challenge they have is financial support. It's way harder to stay competitive in this league when your resources are much more limited than your rivals. It worked some years but it's a pipe dream to expect that it could work every year.

I think actual problems really started last year because Melnyk got really upset that his team couldn't sellout in the playoffs in a Canadian market. Think about it, it must have been ashaming because it frankly never happens in Canadian markets...

Boedker at 6M/2YRs doesn't have the value of a 2nd/3rd round pick. Maybe a mid-late round pick.

Really? Domi (while being younger) has similar stats to Boedker and returned Alex Galchenyuk.

Boedker last 6 years (since the lockout) : 16 goals, 44 pts per 82 games

And it's including his miserable year with the Sharks in 2016-17. If you're not counting that down year, it's 18 goals, 48 pts per 82 games so that's 2nd line numbers.

Look at what Tatar got last deadline... He's only 1 year younger, signed to a bigger salary and has very similar stats to Boedker. Look at what Nash, Kane and Stastny netted... Not saying Boedker is better or as good as them but Bonk also provided other examples. It's just to say that Boedker has easily more value than a mid-late pick. Boedker is just 28 and is underrated because he was never as good as the expectations on him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Pierre McGuire doesn't think you can shrink the pool to make deals to avoid dealing within the division to get the best return

Last edited:

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I dunno. A lot of people pointing the finger at EM instructing PD not to trade Hoffman within the division.

But what if it was Karlsson’s representatives that asked for that?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Pierre McGuire doesn't think you can shrink the pool to make deals to avoid dealing within the division to get the best return

Just the utter disrespect Wilson and Talon showed towards our manager on that deal should tell us a lot about how Dorion is viewed around the league. Those are two guys from the old boys club and I can't remember a single time something similar to this happened.

And the fact that it's being reported that Dorion was the one asking for players, not picks is so confusing. The seriously have to direction right and are just endlessly spinning their wheels.

Reactions: Emerica

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Long time since I read here.

I didn't expect a huge return, but I expected at least a return.

I'd love to spin everything to positive like some people do around here. Boedker wont do anything for us except fill a spot and we gave up basically a 60pts guy last 3 seasons and a potential 30 goal scorer. Dorion said " I won't fail at this job, I told my son" in an interview, man, he is embarrassing and bad.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Jones getting flipped to the Sharks after LA sent him to Boston. Not the first time Wilson has pulled this dirty trick.
Good example, Dorion should have been more cognizant of Wilson doing this. Only thing is I didn't at the time perceive for those deals to be so horribly one sided. Seems like pretty much everyone thought Wilson got the better return. It was a really bad look for Dorion.

Looking back though Lucic got 13th overall, Colin Miller and Martin Jones. Could Dorion even get that for Karlsson? Or for Duchene if he's dealt sometime between now and next deadline?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just the utter disrespect Wilson and Talon showed towards our manager on that deal should tell us a lot about how Dorion is viewed around the league. Those are two guys from the old boys club and I can't remember a single time something similar to this happened.

And the fact that it's being reported that Dorion was the one asking for players, not picks is so confusing. The seriously have to direction right and are just endlessly spinning their wheels.
Agreed . Very Hard to see any direction. Poor return and we likely lose Karlsson .. so likely did not need to panic.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wait until Boro drills Hoffman next season, and Florida responds by sending out their goons. FLA-OTT games in 18-19 just got really interesting...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Is this the first time a player has been traded/signed whatever, and Dorion hasn't had a press conference?

The fact that Dorion has enough self-preservation instincts to lay low after this kind of deal shows he isn't as stupid as some people will want you to believe.

I mean... he's still a bad GM, let's not pretend he's not. He's just not a complete moron.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Is this the first time a player has been traded/signed whatever, and Dorion hasn't had a press conference?

Dude has probably been logging 18 hour days for the past few weeks. Trying to trade Hoffman, Smith, Pageau, fielding offers on Karlsson, negotiating with Stone, Ceci, Duchene, going over the draft list with the amateur scouts, trying to find a coach for Belleville...

Lot of work on his plate, and it's literally just him now. There's no President of Hockey Ops, no senior advisors, and no assistant GM to help lessen the load. He's a one man show, I don't think there's much time for calling into the TSN 1200.

That said - I believe he's scheduled to meet with the media tomorrow in Dallas.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Draft is coming up .. there will be something after that ; and/or if EK is moved. Dorion pumped Boedker after the trade .. but no conference. No smug moments to be had.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The fact that Dorion has enough self-preservation instincts to lay low after this kind of deal shows he isn't as stupid as some people will want you to believe.

I mean... he's still a bad GM, let's not pretend he's not. He's just not a complete moron.
I-See-Dumb-People-Mouse-Pad.jpg
(it's a gift)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad