Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No sorry, you cannot argue that.

Spezza was coming off point totals that Hoffman has never reached and probably never will, and Heatley was coming off a 40 goal season.

The only thing those 3 have in common is that all 3, indirectly or directly, lowered any good return we could have hoped for.
I saw two players falling apart physically near the end of their time here, especially Heatley, and I would take Hoffman now over either of those players at that point in their careers without any hesitation. Value wise? Well they all got traded for scraps so hard to say.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
A small vinyl tarp lying in the slot is a better 2-way player than Hoffman.

I mean, let's call a spade a spade here - Hoffman's value is almost entirely in his ability to generate goals out of nothing, from anywhere on the ice. Mikkel Boedker is so much better defensively than Hoffman is that the gap between the two of them in that one regard, when spread out and measured from end to end, might completely circumnavigate the globe.

The issue is that defensively responsible players aren't that hard to find, whereas goal scorers are. Saying we got a better 2-way player is a given, but as toxic as Hoffman's presence may or may not have been, we lost an ability that is hard to replace (instinctive ability to score), in favour of an ability that is pretty readily available (smart 2-way play) in any given offseason for reasonable rates.

I actually like Boedker. I'm not against bringing him in as a Sen at all, and I think he'll help the team. That being said, his specific hockey skillset is clearly not as in demand, nor is it as valuable, as Hoffman's is. Obviously Hoffman has the extra baggage and who knows how that will play out in the long term in Florida, but I'm strictly speaking in on-ice metrics here - Hoffman's impact is harder to find, and harder to replace.
i didn't find that with Hoffman.He wouldn't score from anywhere on the ice. His reputation was having the most shots further away from the net. But would he ever battle along the boards for the puck, or go to the net and score in dirty areas? Not really.

That being said, we're scoring less next year unless we have a big draft day or some miracle in free agency.

Hoffman could take a one timer from the point or halfwall. We now have no player on forward capable of taking a one timer. Just Chabot now and others might be able to take a one timer but not as hard or accurate as a typical sniper.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Im not buying the linking of the trade to appease EK (I hope it's true as it would maintain the last shred of dignity this once proud franchise had), I believe Hoff was gone no matter what even before the harassment allegations as it is fairly well known in the Ottawa rumour circle (Accurate or not) that he is perceived as an issue in the dressing room. If and when EK is given away I still believe the remaining parts of the carcass would not appreciate having a rumoured guy like that in the room.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Just got the news....

I have one question :

where do I throw up?

EDIT : Now they better sign a good UFA forward. Only way to salvage this deal.

2nd Edit : Oh wait, that's great since Boedker will only cost 6 M$ for the next 2 years

Seriously, couldn't get a better return for Mike freaking Hoffman?

Mike lost the "freaking" part after his gf did her thing. Now it's just Mike malignant Hoffman

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Given the situation, this is fine. Clearly not good, but fine. It was obvious when reading this board that most people weren't willing to acknowledge exactly how much this scandal had tanked Hoffman's value. To get a cheap, versatile winger and a mediocre prospect is not terrible - it's better than waiving Hoffman.

We are a worse team now, but that's to be expected. The roster will be even worse again in a few weeks when Karlsson and Ryan are dealt as a package.

We are stripping it down. Get used to that idea.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I mean, we got more than the bag of pucks that I was expecting. I'm not happy about it, but I honestly figured that the news would be worse, so... I'm conflicted.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Instructed?

If it was Melnyk (why does he even care?) then good. **** him.
The passage, from this Athletic piece:

According to an NHL source, the crux of the problem was trading in division and that the Senators were instructed not to make a deal within the division. That’s a bad policy anyways and that Hoffman ended up in Florida makes it even worse. This is a classic mismanagement of an asset, even one as devalued as Hoffman.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The passage, from this Athletic piece:

According to an NHL source, the crux of the problem was trading in division and that the Senators were instructed not to make a deal within the division. That’s a bad policy anyways and that Hoffman ended up in Florida makes it even worse. This is a classic mismanagement of an asset, even one as devalued as Hoffman.
Instructed by who?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Is actually quite funny that he was flipped to Florida so quickly, GMs are probably playing Dorion like a fish.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No excuse for this trade at this time if they don't re-sign Karlsson. Also, screw SJ for taking advantage of us again. This is like the 3rd time they bent us over. They were one of the teams in the Havlat deal, they bent us over on Heatley, and now this.

I'd much much rather have the return for Heatley than this... Heatley was a disgruntled primadonna primed for a steep decline (injuries when he was young). Michalek was a young rising star (24 y/o, averaged 62 pts per 82 games in his 2nd to 4th year in the NHL) paid 3.167 M$ LESS per season than Healtey. They also got a 2nd round pick and a former goal scorer reclamation project.

Hoffman is going to be better and longer than Heatley after he left Ottawa.

Michalek + 2nd >>>> Boedker + Bergman

Even with the allegations we shouldn't be the ones giving up the better player AND the better draft pick

How many times do you need to repeat it to make it meaningful? The picks are nothing in this trade. We downgraded a 5th in 2020 to a 6th in 2020... Who cares? Because on the other hand, they upgraded an irrelevant prospect (Donaghey) to a better one (Bergman) who might have a future in the NHL... That part of the deal is actually positive for the Sens.

The problem in this trade is that Mike Hoffman is a legit 1st liner and we traded him to get a good 3rd liner or maybe 2nd liner on good years. They are both the same age. The only other positive (for Sens finances) is that Boedker is owed only 6 M$ in the next 2 years while Hoffman was owed 11.3 M$.

They took a terrible contract and a cap dump for him it was tremendous negative value. Do better than that.

OK I don't like the trade but what? Who has a terrible contract? Who is a cap dump? Boedker makes 3.0 per season for the next 2 years and Bergman is a prospect.

We have no one to score goals on this team.

Unless something changes, there could be an epic lack of production this upcoming season.

I don't know... Sens finished 22nd/30 teams and 25th/31 teams under Boucher. But Hoffman's shot and high end offensive skill needs to be replaced somehow

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boedker might save 15 though...

All of a sudden everyone thinks Mike Hoffman is Mark Stone. Dude had major flaws in his game on top of his meddlesome wacko gf. Like most are saying if this keeps Karlsson here then yes, I can live with it. I think this shows Karlsson's camp a lot of respect and should give them peace in their own city. This is her hometown and for him to expose this (I beleive they are behind the leak) means he wanted Hoffman out of here.
And he stays. Hopefully.
The difference between boedker and Hoffman is not preventin 15 goals lol.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
i didn't find that with Hoffman.He wouldn't score from anywhere on the ice. His reputation was having the most shots further away from the net. But would he ever battle along the boards for the puck, or go to the net and score in dirty areas? Not really.

That being said, we're scoring less next year unless we have a big draft day or some miracle in free agency.

Hoffman could take a one timer from the point or halfwall. We now have no player on forward capable of taking a one timer. Just Chabot now and others might be able to take a one timer but not as hard or accurate as a typical sniper.

Yeah there is no way to spin this as a good trade. Dorion sold Hoffman for pennies on the dollar, and he rushed to sell him at that.

We can only hope that this was done to prove to Karlsson that the Senators will do everything they can to make him happy. And to me it suggests that they believe they have a legitimate shot at keeping him here. If they knew Karlsson wanted out, why wouldn't they have let the heat from the whole girlfriendgate thing die down before trading Hoffman?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You guys are overrating Boedker defensively. He is still below average as a 2-way player. Boedker is not preventing 15 goals. Maybe ROR and Hoffman would be the difference of 15 goals against but absolutely not Boedker.

People are just trying to put a positive spin on it.

There really isn't one. Boedkar will be a nice third line piece . . . but mike Hoffman he most certainly is not.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't know... Sens finished 22nd/30 teams and 25th/31 teams under Boucher. But Hoffman's shot and high end offensive skill needs to be replaced somehow

We can only hope that the Senators can sign some kind of UFA to replace him. And a defenseman to replace Phaneuf.

So basically . . . a top 6 winger and a top 4 defneseman.

JVR and Carlsson . . getter done Pierre lol

Reactions: BondraTime

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
People are just trying to put a positive spin on it.

There really isn't one. Boedkar will be a nice third line piece . . . but mike Hoffman he most certainly is not.

Right.

Not to be a dick, but had I come into this forum a week ago and asked what you guys would give for Boedker, I would imagine the responses would be nowhere near this. It’s kind of weird reading people saying these things about him on HF when a week ago, I was in heated arguments with people trying to tell them he’s not worthless. Now all of a sudden, he’s worth more than a 2nd. :laugh:

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad