Confirmed with Link: Hoffman traded to San Jose

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Didn't you hear that Boedker suddenly became a Selke-caliber defensive winger the moment he was traded to the Senators
Yeaaah. Ironic. The “don’t say Hoffman is so good now that he’s gone crowd” seems to be the “boedker is good now” now that we’ve acquired him.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean, we got more than the bag of pucks that I was expecting. I'm not happy about it, but I honestly figured that the news would be worse, so... I'm conflicted.

San Jose are the ones who got the bag of pucks. A second and two throwaway late picks, and for 2019 no less. They were simply clearing the decks of salary to make a move in free agency. Fair enough, but to suggest that it was somehow a brilliant series of moves by Wilson makes no sense to me.

Clearing salary really isn't that difficult. It's filling it with something good that is the hard part. I heard people say today that we could have taken the $3 million we will pay Boedker and gotten someone better in free agency, yet somehow they couldn't come up with the name of an actual player who might fill that bill...

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Right.

Not to be a dick, but had I come into this forum a week ago and asked what you guys would give for Boedker, I would imagine the responses would be nowhere near this. It’s kind of weird reading people saying these things about him on HF when a week ago, I was in heated arguments with people trying to tell them he’s not worthless. Now all of a sudden, he’s worth more than a 2nd. :laugh:

Sens have a terrible GM, but the Sharks don't. That is the difference.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Right.

Not to be a dick, but had I come into this forum a week ago and asked what you guys would give for Boedker, I would imagine the responses would be nowhere near this. It’s kind of weird reading people saying these things about him on HF when a week ago, I was in heated arguments with people trying to tell them he’s not worthless. Now all of a sudden, he’s worth more than a 2nd. :laugh:
Well why would we give Hoffman for boedker. If you’re asking fans they’ll never say “yeah we will give you this good player for your worse player”. We can’t control what goes on behind the scenes

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Right.

Most fanbases tend to overate value for the own playes, its just the nature of the beast.

All I know is that Hoffman without all this drama was worth a hell of a lot more then he returned.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
San Jose are the ones who got the bag of pucks. A second and two throwaway late picks, and for 2019 no less. They were simply clearing the decks of salary to make a move in free agency. Fair enough, but to suggest that it was somehow a brilliant series of moves by Wilson makes no sense to me.

Clearing salary really isn't that difficult. It's filling it with something good that is the hard part. I heard people say today that we could have taken the $3 million we will pay Boedker and gotten someone better in free agency, yet somehow they couldn't come up with the name of an actual player who might fill that bill...

Clearing salary is apparently very difficult. We usually have to pay in mid round picks to clear salary lol

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sens have a terrible GM, but the Sharks don't. That is the difference.

Well why would we give Hoffman for boedker. If you’re asking fans they’ll never say “yeah we will give you this good player for your worse player”. We can’t control what goes on behind the scenes

To be clear, when I said “the responses would be nothing like this”, I meant the general consensus on Boedker as a player would be nowhere near as high.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Look at the return SJS got for Boedker. THAT is good GMing. Poor Dorion just does not have the experience. He didn’t even get the best return he could. And if everyone knew of all this months ago, why was he not dealt at the deadline for a high pick and prospect. Just sad.

Reactions: Benjamin and branch

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Guy, you arent being a dick, you're being ignorant, do understand the situation here?
He was a salary dump for SJ, you got Hoffman for pennies on the dollar b/c of the off ice crap.

how is that not perfectly clear to you?

I’m saying that the way that Senators fans are talking about Boedker is a lot different than how they would have talked about him a week ago. I realize Hoffman as a return isn’t a guy that you can compare to anything or anybody because of the strange circumstances surrounding him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I’m saying that the way that Senators fans are talking about Boedker is a lot different than how they would have talked about him a week ago. I realize Hoffman as a return isn’t a guy that you can compare to anything or anybody because of the strange circumstances surrounding him.

Don't put words in peoples mouths. There are a number of people here who think Boedker is garbage and will continue to do so.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Most fanbases tend to overate value for the own playes, its just the nature of the beast.

All I know is that Hoffman without all this drama was worth a hell of a lot more then he returned.

Even with this drama he was worth more but our GM apparently decided to ignore offers from 25% of the teams in the league.

There's no way you can turn around and trade Boedker for a 2nd, 4rth and 5th. For San Jose this is just them taking advantage of a really stupid GM, they were able to get rid of salary that they will be able to use on better players and on top of that they got some valuable futures.

How in the world did Dorion swap the 6th and the 5th round pick also? Like was that a deal breaker? Would San Jose really not have done that deal if it wasn't for the pick? I feel like this is legit just Wilson f***ing with Dorion hard.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Even with this drama he was worth more but our GM apparently decided to ignore offers from 25% of the teams in the league.

There's no way you can turn around and trade Boedker for a 2nd, 4rth and 5th. For San Jose this is just them taking advantage of a really stupid GM, they were able to get rid of salary that they will be able to use on better players and on top of that they got some valuable futures.

How in the world did Dorion swap the 6th and the 5th round pick also? Like was that a deal breaker? Would San Jose really not have done that deal if it wasn't for the pick? I feel like this is legit just Wilson ****ing with Dorion hard.

I don't like the trade either.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Hoffman needed to go at all cost and we knew that we wouldnt be able to get his full value in a trade.
It's frustrating but we didnt have any other option. On the bright side Boedker played with Duchene in the past and had some success while he was in Colorado. Maybe they will be able to regain that past chemistry.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You guys are overrating Boedker defensively. He is still below average as a 2-way player. Boedker is not preventing 15 goals. Maybe ROR and Hoffman would be the difference of 15 goals against but absolutely not Boedker.

Boeddker is SJ salary dump. period.
10-12 goals - 30 pts - so basically like any 3/4th liner
His possession numbers are awful

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
If it means we keep Karlsson i can live with it. If we are still trading Karlsson, which wouldn't surprise me anyway, can we either bring in a "trade consultant / negotiator." I do not trust Dorion at all with trades. He should just write down what he wants from each team and then double it.
...or pull a George Costanza and do the opposite of everything he normally does.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002

im sorry, i had misunderstood.
i agree that Boeddker is sh!t

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
Boedker might save 15 though...

All of a sudden everyone thinks Mike Hoffman is Mark Stone.
Dude had major flaws in his game on top of his meddlesome wacko gf. Like most are saying if this keeps Karlsson here then yes, I can live with it. I think this shows Karlsson's camp a lot of respect and should give them peace in their own city. This is her hometown and for him to expose this (I beleive they are behind the leak) means he wanted Hoffman out of here.
And he stays. Hopefully.

its ironic that you are accusing everyone of talkin gup Hoffman like he's Stone yet have Boeddker as some defensive wizard going to prevent 15 goals given his brutal possession numbers.
do you have single reason to believe that he is a good defensive player?
nobody in SJ seems to think so

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010

I wouldn't say he's that bad.

Since 2013/2014, Boedker has paced 0.5ppg or better in five out of six seasons.

That's a ~40pt guy, which is a pretty respectable average for a 3rd liner in the modern NHL. Maybe you meant 10-12 goals and 30 assists?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Boedker has posted better than 12 goals in 4/5 seasons, better than 35 points in 3/5 seasons and in one of those other seasons he paced for 50 points.

Boedker is a middle 6 winger, he's nowhere near as good as Hoffman but he's not a bad player. He's basically Michalek minus 2011-2012. Fast, heavy forechecker, some offensive ability, a complimentary player. If he's playing top 6 (and he will), he will post around 45 points.

I will make a bet with anyone, we will flip Boedker in 1.5 years for at least a 3rd rounder in 2020.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Dorion shouldn't be making trades. This team needs a real GM.

.....and a 5th for a 6th what the heck is that? Does he think it confuses fans making it sound like a bigger trade than it is. That add-on brings it into the ridiculous!

There should have a been a no flip to the east understanding with SJ. I thought maybe it increased the chances of keeping EK but now it means EK has to go west if he wants to avoid facing Hoffman this season

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We aren't keeping Karlsson we as fan need to stop with this dream he's gone ... Not a single damn report has come out where we want to sign him since Hoffman was traded.

He's on the team today.
He wanted Hoffman gone.
We will offer a contract ASAP.
Contract talks have been on-going and if the team did not think there was a good chance of re-signing Karlsson they might not have moved Hoffman if they knew they had to trade Karlsson.

This is all fairly straight forward stuff. He might leave but considering all that happened, Dorion is giving himself the best chance to retain Karlsson with today's trade.

That is the best we can hope for. Erik's decision is his own, you can't control it, just influence it.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
People are just trying to put a positive spin on it.

There really isn't one. Boedkar will be a nice third line piece . . . but mike Hoffman he most certainly is not.

It is all about priorities. Boedker is a decent player and the Sens got $5 million in cash. That is a pretty good deal if you are an owner with cash flow issues. Dorion just has to sell it to the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad