Blue Jays Discussion: Hoffman and Pentecost signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Agreed! I had to turn the channel. Makes me puke. Of course it's the Yankees to. Media makes them out to be the center of the universe :)

jeter is one of the most overrated players ever to play the game.
hes just lucky to get drafted by the yankees and be able to play on so many good teams and reep the benefits of playing with the best players.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I must admit I'm shocked that injured Bautista is still playing tonight. I thought he was injured? Gimpy hamstring? Thus why he was playing 1B for us? Or was it for other reasons?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
jeter is one of the most overrated players ever to play the game.
hes just lucky to get drafted by the yankees and be able to play on so many good teams and reep the benefits of playing with the best players.

He's overrated defensively without question, but the guy is one of the most accomplished offensive shortstops of all time.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I must admit I'm shocked that injured Bautista is still playing tonight. I thought he was injured? Gimpy hamstring? Thus why he was playing 1B for us? Or was it for other reasons?

He was back in right field for at least game before the break and has been playing regularly for a while. For someone who has a lot to say around here, it seems like you don't pay a lot of attention to the team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He's overrated defensively without question, but the guy is one of the most accomplished offensive shortstops of all time.

As a friend of mine (a Red Sox fan) says "It's great that the Yankees built a statue of Derek Jeter. It's too bad that they decided to put it in the middle of the infield." I'm not sure if it's his originally or if he got somewhere. He's also talked about playing a drinking game where you drink every time they say "... just past a diving Jeter".

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Will never understand the Jeter hate

Same here, will never understand the jeter....love

Baseball reference made a study, from the day jeter got into the league till today there were 504 shortstop. Defensively, jeter ranked 384 !!

He is a good guy, class oct, great leader, i give you that but plz don't say he is not overrated.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Same here, will never understand the jeter....love

Baseball reference made a study, from the day jeter got into the league till today there were 504 shortstop. Defensively, jeter ranked 384 !!

He is a good guy, class oct, great leader, i give you that but plz don't say he is not overrated.

He's a top five shortstop all time. I'd say the love is warranted.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Rusney Castillo is holding a showcase this week in Miami. He was declared a free agent last month, and is eligible to sign. Cuban centerfielder, 27 years old, whom is 5"9, 185. Speed is his best tool. Could be a good replacement for Melky next year.

Ben Badler has posted a nice compilation video of his tools.

Last edited:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
He's a top five shortstop all time. I'd say the love is warranted.

Yep agreed. Of guys I've actually seen id probably rank him 3rd behind Ripken and Arod... And there may be 1-2 guys from decades ago who can jump into that group (Wagner comes to mind)

The love is warranted but I still think you can argue the guy is overrated as far as the folklore purely because he is a Yankee. But really other than the Babe, what Yankee isn't "overrated". Its the sale in every sport, Leafs and Canadiens are always talked about more than some other players who were on more obscure teams.

But top 5 he definitely is

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I don't like the precedent that's being set for sending these guys off into retirement. Rivera last year, now Jeter this year. Two of the best players of all time at their positions to be sure, but I find it over the top that every event, every city they visit for the entire year becomes this giant glorifying memorialization. It just becomes too much. Is this going to happen for every star that announces his retirement before or during the season? How long until someone gets butt-hurt that he's not getting the Rivera/Jeter treatment?

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Beyond the Box Score ‏@BtBScore 10m
AL teams that have the easiest remaining schedules, based off opponents’ winning %:
1. Blue Jays
2. Yankees
3. Royals
4. A’s
5. Tigers

Jays could really make a push if they get healthy. Acquiring a reliever, good lefty hitters and infielder would help too.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well according to fWAR Derek Jeter is 6th all time among shortstops. Two of the players (George Davis and Bill Dahlen) that are ahead of him played in the 90s (1890s), another was Honus Wagner, and the two obvious guys that played during his era (and before in Rip's case) are ARod and Cal Ripken.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
June 1st.

Anyway, I dislike how they are making Jeter bigger than game almost.

The funniest thing is Jeter talks of his disdain for all the hype.

He just saw Mo go through it last year, if he wanted to ignore it he could have kept his future after this season ambiguous and then just disappeared. At some level, maybe only subconsciously he wants to be showered with attention and adored for an entire season.

Disgusting.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The funniest thing is Jeter talks of his disdain for all the hype.

He just saw Mo go through it last year, if he wanted to ignore it he could have kept his future after this season ambiguous and then just disappeared. At some level, maybe only subconsciously he wants to be showered with attention and adored for an entire season.

Disgusting.

On the contrary. I believe his thought process was that it wouldn't be fair to fans to suddenly hang them up during the offseason. It's more about the fans giving him a proper send off than him getting a bunch of praise and gifts. I love getting on the yankees and their players like any other, but I believe your comments to be misguided.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Well according to fWAR Derek Jeter is 6th all time among shortstops. Two of the players (George Davis and Bill Dahlen) that are ahead of him played in the 90s (1890s), another was Honus Wagner, and the two obvious guys that played during his era (and before in Rip's case) are ARod and Cal Ripken.

Look, in all sports there is two aspects, offence & defence. Offensively, jeter was good to great shortstop, defensively jeter was horribad. In baseball, shortstop is a defensive-first position.

Its like saying kessel is a great player because he is a PPG player (which he is, but not for that reason) don't forget that there is a defensive part of the game too.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Yeah, screw the stats, lets believe this internet dude !! This guy is beyond overrated (and i like him for a yankee :help:)

There are 5 players (Cobb, Wagner, Anson, Speaker, Musial) who have more hits and a higher batting average than Jeter all time. Only Musial tops Jeter in the live ball era.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Look, in all sports there is two aspects, offence & defence. Offensively, jeter was good to great shortstop, defensively jeter was horribad. In baseball, shortstop is a defensive-first position.

Its like saying kessel is a great player because he is a PPG player (which he is, but not for that reason) don't forget that there is a defensive part of the game too.

So the top five shortstops of all time are....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad