Blue Jays Discussion: Hoffman and Pentecost signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 33m
Sources :#BlueJays checked on Alfonso Soriano. Encarnacion, Lind, Lawrie still on DL. Soriano said to be mulling his options.

lol

I've always been a fan of Soriano but that was 5yrs ago or so. I know he's quite old now. But I'm not against adding him :)

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Looking more and more like what the Cardinals did with Wainwright when he first came up....except Sanchez is younger.

Wainwright came up in September with expanded rosters and pitched a whopping 2 innings.

I can sort of understand why Jays want Sanchez in the pen, he is already at a career high innings so they want to limit those innings going forward but it makes no sense to call him up to the bigs. He hasn't even dominated the competition in Buffalo yet and most likely he will be sent down since he will inevitably struggle with in the bigs. Let him show you he can at least dominate the competition first, even as a reliever.

If they want to call-up an arm, try Drabek. He will be out of options next year so they have to see what he can do and he has already transitioned to the pen.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wainwright came up in September with expanded rosters and pitched a whopping 2 innings.

I can sort of understand why Jays want Sanchez in the pen, he is already at a career high innings so they want to limit those innings going forward but it makes no sense to call him up to the bigs. He hasn't even dominated the competition in Buffalo yet and most likely he will be sent down since he will inevitably struggle with in the bigs. Let him show you he can at least dominate the competition first, even as a reliever.

If they want to call-up an arm, try Drabek. He will be out of options next year so they have to see what he can do and he has already transitioned to the pen.

Wainwright was in the bullpen for the 2006 season too.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
@jonmorosi · 5m ·
More
Mariners are having ongoing trade discussions with Rays regarding David Price and Ben Zobrist, sources say. No deal imminent. @FOXSports1

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I meant in '06.

DatsyukianDeke*

They were discussing Price before but did not want to move Walker.

Big difference now is they are a contender and adding those two will help push them even higher in the standings. Imagine Felix, Price and Hisashi

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
With regards to the Sanchez discussion, I Just want to point out that since they changed his arm slot he has posted the following numbers

1.26 WHIP
3.79 ERA
2.4 BB/9
5.7 K/9
73 GB%

I know its a small sample size, but its still a point of discussion nonetheless.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've always been a fan of Soriano but that was 5yrs ago or so. I know he's quite old now. But I'm not against adding him :)

Me neither it would be a decent pickup and costs the minimum with the Yankees paying the rest of his 18 mil (yikes)

All you really need is Seitzer to make one little tweak and let him catch fire for a couple of months, like he did 10 months ago

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
@jonmorosi · 5m ·
More
Mariners are having ongoing trade discussions with Rays regarding David Price and Ben Zobrist, sources say. No deal imminent. @FOXSports1

wow mariners really going to make a splash this year...going for it....every year AA says were going for it this year...next year, the year after. Yet picks up scrubs all the time. Mind you I really think his hands are tied financially from above. No more salary. And less salary next year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Me neither it would be a decent pickup and costs the minimum with the Yankees paying the rest of his 18 mil (yikes)

All you really need is Seitzer to make one little tweak and let him catch fire for a couple of months, like he did 10 months ago

Wouldn't be a bad flyer on a platoon DH. Play him against lefties, let him get some confidence back. Just last year, he produced .385 wOBA/143 wRC+ against LHP.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Yanks only own 4 million of his contract. Who is the Cubs he came from own the other 14 million.

I should add that I'd have no issues picking him up even as a stop gap until other bats return. If I can see Soriano over Mastrionni I'd be very happy. Problem is that Soriano may just opt to retire which seems to be what he's really contemplating.

DatsyukianDeke*

I agree. Bringing in Soriano wouldn't be bad at all especially if we platoon him.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Big difference now is they are a contender and adding those two will help push them even higher in the standings. Imagine Felix, Price and Hisashi

And I'd assume that the Rays would want Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin and DJ Peterson in the package.

It's a risky deal from Seattle's end because both Price and Zobrist only come with one more year on their contracts.

DatsyukianDeke*

And I'd assume that the Rays would want Taijuan Walker, Nick Franklin and DJ Peterson in the package.

It's a risky deal from Seattle's end because both Price and Zobrist only come with one more year on their contracts.

Even considering those stipulations? I figured maybe the price might have dropped considering it's half way through the year and both likely won't re-sign with Tampa.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Even considering those stipulations? I figured maybe the price might have dropped considering it's half way through the year and both likely won't re-sign with Tampa.

Well you also have to consider Seattle's desire to complete the deal too. Tampa could always revisit trade offers in the winter.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
With regards to the Sanchez discussion, I Just want to point out that since they changed his arm slot he has posted the following numbers

1.26 WHIP
3.79 ERA
2.4 BB/9
5.7 K/9
73 GB%

I know its a small sample size, but its still a point of discussion nonetheless.

Hopefully its a legit adjustment and he turns into a stud for us but some serious insiders question how good he really is.

From Fangraphs today

Comment From A. Lane
More overrated as a prospect group, flame throwers with control issues or power hitters who lack strike zone control/very high K%?

Dave Cameron: Flame throwers. Aaron Sanchez strikes me as maybe the most overrated prospect in recent history, for example.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hopefully its a legit adjustment and he turns into a stud for us but some serious insiders question how good he really is.

From Fangraphs today

Comment From A. Lane
More overrated as a prospect group, flame throwers with control issues or power hitters who lack strike zone control/very high K%?

Dave Cameron: Flame throwers. Aaron Sanchez strikes me as maybe the most overrated prospect in recent history, for example.

Yikes. That's the worst thing I've ever seen posted or said about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad