Hockey Cards - Part III

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I signed up like 2 weeks ago just to check it out.

One question I had was do you ever get transferable cards in the free pack or only bought ones?

On the pack wars feature, I assume you can only "battle" with bought packs? If you win do you tend to get transferable cards?
Never tried pack wars. And I believe the free packs are always base, you can combine 10 base cards to get transferable foil ones tho.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah definitely leaning the way you mentioned unless a "newer" one shows high resale if graded. Not sure if there's any non-HOF rookies I should look at or in those eras or others in general showing good demand? As I said there are a bunch before those years too, just I know the ones in those years are in very good shape. Centering is generally the only issue on some.

What are your thoughts on how to assign what you think it will grade when you submit? I find that kind of weird really.

You don't have to assign a grade. You just send it in. There's a minimum grade category. If you don't want the card to grade below a certain standard, you state that, and they just send the card back to you. I think you still have to pay, but you don't have to risk further damaging the card by ripping it out of the case.

Many non-HOF rookies from older sets will have decent demand, but typically only in very good condition, and it's not every player. The older sets were quite small though, and didn't feature many rookies to start with.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Never tried pack wars. And I believe the free packs are always base, you can combine 10 base cards to get transferable foil ones tho.

You can't combine free e-pack to transferrable anymore. That was only for the first couple of years. Now the free e-pack cards are just a purple version with no value.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You don't have to assign a grade. You just send it in. There's a minimum grade category. If you don't want the card to grade below a certain standard, you state that, and they just send the card back to you. I think you still have to pay, but you don't have to risk further damaging the card by ripping it out of the case.

Many non-HOF rookies from older sets will have decent demand, but typically only in very good condition, and it's not every player. The older sets were quite small though, and didn't feature many rookies to start with.

Been a while since I read their submission process i seemed to remember reading something to the effect of estimating the grade but if it graded higher you were potentially charged more fee? Will have to look at that again in a couple months.

Yeah I have all the rookie listings and such (also keep my own spreadsheets to help me track stuff). Today is a little different because stuff that shouldn't carry worth is. I just have such a volume of different stuff, not just cards.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
You can't combine free e-pack to transferrable anymore. That was only for the first couple of years. Now the free e-pack cards are just a purple version with no value.

Thanks! Was wondering if you'd ever get anything cracking those. So it's basically buy and cross your fingers.

So side question.....let's say you have a player X card # /25 , in UD Series 1. Are there (for arguments sake) 20 in physical boxes and 5 in epacks available to be converted?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
When does series 2 come to epack? I'm new to it so just curious how long it takes usually.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
When does series 2 come to epack? I'm new to it so just curious how long it takes usually.

Probably a couple months. It's typically quite a wait. Retail will be out in a couple weeks. Then there's a fair bit of a gap until E-Pack is released.

This year, I'm just buying retail and epack. The price of physical hobby is too high.

Reactions: Kcb12345

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Probably a couple months. It's typically quite a wait. Retail will be out in a couple weeks. Then there's a fair bit of a gap until E-Pack is released.

This year, I'm just buying retail and epack. The price of physical hobby is too high.

$179 tax in and probably going to go up in a few weeks.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Anyone know of a good graded Vintage card for under $200? I'd like to add one to my collection, something like pre 1960 I guess.

Reactions: leetch99

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
$157.50 tax in and probably going to go up in a few weeks.

In the fall, I was planning to get a case of S2. I think when the presale originally came out it was at like $115-120 CDN, and I figured I would get it but hold on to the money for the time being. Obviously now I'm empty handed.

I assume at some point over the last 5 months, my local walmart has gotten boxes of UD S1, Artifacts, and Parkhurst but I've never seen a box of any of it on the shelves (not that I would have bought any of them). I saw a couple fat packs of UD S1 last week and couldn't believe it, but both had already been searched/opened.

This just keeps getting more absurd.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
In the fall, I was planning to get a case of S2. I think when the presale originally came out it was at like $115-120 CDN, and I figured I would get it but hold on to the money for the time being. Obviously now I'm empty handed.

I assume at some point over the last 5 months, my local walmart has gotten boxes of UD S1, Artifacts, and Parkhurst but I've never seen a box of any of it on the shelves (not that I would have bought any of them). I saw a couple fat packs of UD S1 last week and couldn't believe it, but both had already been searched/opened.

I saw guys in line waiting for Wal-Mart employee to stock the shelves for Series 1 Tins lol. I have never seen that before not even for 15-16. There was plenty of product on shelves.

Reactions: blankall

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Walmart here was full of UD for quite some time but for the last month, zero hockey at all. Just this week saw Artifacts. Bought a box. Relatively crap (one serial numbered card). All gone again.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
upload_2021-3-26_2-6-26.png

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Bought a pack of Parkhurst on ePack today out of boredom ... scrolling through, flashes red.... bam, redemption for the complete rookie set. 1:1667 packs.

It's for sale on COMC if anyone is interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad