Hockey Cards - Part III

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Was looking for something in a box and found probably the only basketball card I have. Don't even remember how I got it (I think it was an extra I got with some hockey cards or something)? Never thought a lick about it but it's a hologram card which turns out to be from LeBron's rookie year. Checked ebay and prices range from about $200 - $1800. Nice!

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
ya i heard about this card on YouToob, $60,000 asking for an auto'd McJesus rookie a few weeks ago. crazy money !! o_O

It's PSA 10, is why. The people looking for a McDavid PSA 10 officially autographed RC are ones with very large investment bankrolls. They are not regular collectors...those people can get raw copies for a couple of grand.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Was looking for something in a box and found probably the only basketball card I have. Don't even remember how I got it (I think it was an extra I got with some hockey cards or something)? Never thought a lick about it but it's a hologram card which turns out to be from LeBron's rookie year. Checked ebay and prices range from about $200 - $1800. Nice!

Yeah there are all sorts of these unusual cards that are going crazy right now. As long as they have someone everyone knows and are well liked/loved, it's possible that card can get expensive, especially in high grade.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah there are all sorts of these unusual cards that are going crazy right now. As long as they have someone everyone knows and are well liked/loved, it's possible that card can get expensive, especially in high grade.

Yeah the ungraded seem to be going for around $200, the 10's listing around $1,800. When I saw the $200 I thought "cool I'll unload that as I have zero attachment" (unlike my hockey stuff which unless duplicate I have no desire to sell). That said, $1,800 makes me think I should grade it.

Kinda funny as I have never once bought basketball (I vaguely remember getting that as an extra with something else). The one card I have turns out to be a good one.

I found some other cool items in that box. None valuable but some old baseball players from 1992 Frosted Flakes (still in their wrapper), a Cecil Fielder Post cereal pop out (unpopped). Just fun stuff. A lot of it only available in Canada I think.

Another oddity is I have the original Michael Jordan T-shirt. One of my all time favorite t-shirts. Was a basketball with wings. That sucker sells for $500 on ebay (well it did like 5 years ago, Lord knows today). Mine is super worn though because I wore it all the time.

Reactions: Rorschach

scfronty

Jan 4, 2009
I have collected for years, but got out of the hobby a couple years back. One of the last cards I had graded was an Auston Matthews Future Watch auto (non-inscribed). It came back with a 9.5, all 9.5 sub-grades, and a 10 for the auto.

I was tooling around on ebay today and imagine my surprise that a near identical AM 9.5 is currently bidded up to $7100.00.

What in the world happened! I have to do some serious sorting and Becketting now

Reactions: Rebels57

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I have collected for years, but got out of the hobby a couple years back. One of the last cards I had graded was an Auston Matthews Future Watch auto (non-inscribed). It came back with a 9.5, all 9.5 sub-grades, and a 10 for the auto.

I was tooling around on ebay today and imagine my surprise that a near identical AM 9.5 is currently bidded up to $7100.00.

What in the world happened! I have to do some serious sorting and Becketting now

Funny enough, someone selling a collection of Pokemon cards seems to have given the whole card collection community a fever.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Nah, you need to drop the Beckett...they don't tell the right prices anymore. Simply use ebay, use the Filter of Sold Listings and search sorting by most recent.

Reactions: leetch99

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Looked into it a bit more and apparently the LeBron is some sort of a redemption card? Can't seem to find out more on the back story?

scfronty

Jan 4, 2009
Nah, you need to drop the Beckett...they don't tell the right prices anymore. Simply use ebay, use the Filter of Sold Listings and search sorting by most recent.
Fair enough, I generally don't use Beckett for cash value pricing. They have always been laughable in that regard. I do use them for trade value comparisons, though more to support your point; my trading days are likely behind me. Just got sick of the entitlement in the online trading aspect of the hobby.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Cool card

upload_2021-3-23_11-37-39.png

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
For those that have used PSA, how long does it take for them to enter the order into the system after they receive it in the mail?

Trying to figure out what service level to use. Those are the oldest orders still open. But those are the dates the order was entered into the PSA system.

https://www.psacard.com/pricing

upload_2021-3-23_12-44-16.png

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So for the folks that do regularly grade, in a couple months time I'd finally like to grade some of mine. Bad timing in terms of cost and return time but I've been too busy the last 3 years and only hope to have time in about maybe 2 months.

Question is what to have done? I have complete sets from mid 70's through about mid 90's. A bunch of individual cards from 50's to mid 70's. The complete sets are in very, very good shape. Older individual ones hit and miss. I feel like the mid 70's up I should at least grade the HOF rookies. Older ones maybe just the HOF guys? I have Howe's, Plante's, Beliveau's etc. I would also kind of like to grade other Oiler Gretzky's. Would be a metric shiznit ton of cards though. Even just looking at the HOF rookies ones that's 74 cards. A couple (more recents) in there don't carry much value but most are pretty good:

There's probably some non HOF rookies and such in there I should consider too. All told I might be looking at 150 - 200 cards. Oof!

Other thing I struggle with when it comes to PSA is they want you take a stab at what you think it will grade.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Series 2 released today. Just took a look on eBay at some prices, crazy high stuff. Almost enough to tempt me to go buy a box.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
So for the folks that do regularly grade, in a couple months time I'd finally like to grade some of mine. Bad timing in terms of cost and return time but I've been too busy the last 3 years and only hope to have time in about maybe 2 months.

Question is what to have done? I have complete sets from mid 70's through about mid 90's. A bunch of individual cards from 50's to mid 70's. The complete sets are in very, very good shape. Older individual ones hit and miss. I feel like the mid 70's up I should at least grade the HOF rookies. Older ones maybe just the HOF guys? I have Howe's, Plante's, Beliveau's etc. I would also kind of like to grade other Oiler Gretzky's. Would be a metric shiznit ton of cards though. Even just looking at the HOF rookies ones that's 74 cards. A couple (more recents) in there don't carry much value but most are pretty good:

There's probably some non HOF rookies and such in there I should consider too. All told I might be looking at 150 - 200 cards. Oof!

Other thing I struggle with when it comes to PSA is they want you take a stab at what you think it will grade.

I would do a very close inspection of anything post-1987 and not bother sending it in if there are any issues with corners, centering, edges, or surface. Anything after that is going to pretty common, and only rare in good condition.

Any Gretzky or Howe card in good condition should get graded. Beyond that, I'd mostly stick with rookies. A 2nd year Joe Mullen card has little value. It's an absolute shame PSA has upped prices so much. I sent in my "vintage" packaged at $8/card. Made sense to get my Lanny McDonald cards graded for my PC. I would not have made the same decision at $20/card.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I would do a very close inspection of anything post-1987 and not bother sending it in if there are any issues with corners, centering, edges, or surface. Anything after that is going to pretty common, and only rare in good condition.

Any Gretzky or Howe card in good condition should get graded. Beyond that, I'd mostly stick with rookies. A 2nd year Joe Mullen card has little value. It's an absolute shame PSA has upped prices so much. I sent in my "vintage" packaged at $8/card. Made sense to get my Lanny McDonald cards graded for my PC. I would not have made the same decision at $20/card.

Yeah definitely leaning the way you mentioned unless a "newer" one shows high resale if graded. Not sure if there's any non-HOF rookies I should look at or in those eras or others in general showing good demand? As I said there are a bunch before those years too, just I know the ones in those years are in very good shape. Centering is generally the only issue on some.

What are your thoughts on how to assign what you think it will grade when you submit? I find that kind of weird really.

Hammerhead71

Feb 19, 2015
The Peg
Has anyone used the e-pack site? Any horror stories on redeemed the physical cards? Just signed up and it looks interesting but want to hear from anyone who has used it.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Has anyone used the e-pack site? Any horror stories on redeemed the physical cards? Just signed up and it looks interesting but want to hear from anyone who has used it.
I've used it. Cards came in great condition. However I have an order that was supposed to ship out on 3/3 and hasn't yet, think there is major backup.

If you don't want them shipped you can also transfer your cards over to COMC where you can sell them.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I've used it. Cards came in great condition. However I have an order that was supposed to ship out on 3/3 and hasn't yet, think there is major backup.

If you don't want them shipped you can also transfer your cards over to COMC where you can sell them.

I signed up like 2 weeks ago just to check it out.

One question I had was do you ever get transferable cards in the free pack or only bought ones?

On the pack wars feature, I assume you can only "battle" with bought packs? If you win do you tend to get transferable cards?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad