Hockey Cards - Part III

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Sold some stuff on eBay last week for the first time in a few months, and not pleased that they changed the way payments are processed. Not liking that they are holding my money for several days before releasing it. It's even more annoying that they are alerting me to mail the cards, saying that the money will get to me. Only good thing about it is them finally taking fees out automatically.

Have you tried COMC?

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm worried for the Rangers rookies like Lafreniere, Kakko, and then guys like Kravtsov who aren't there yet. In the past the Rangers developed their guys slowly and despite much lower draft positions, they turned out quite a few prospects into good players. Many were traded to get good vets but first they panned out into top, almost NHL-ready prospects to good rookies before they traded them. Now they have some blue chip guys but are rushing them to the NHL. I hope they (along with New Jersey and even Buffalo) don't damage them badly. That would have some serious negative impact for the teams, the NHL and hockey card collecting.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not bad. For Bure, he has like six cards I'm interested in, in bulk (not just his YG and YG French, I'm interested in paying bulk for any his 91-92 cards as well, that are regular issue. However, on my player "hot list" he's probably around the 15th most interesting player to me.

I have all the sets you mentioned but it will be a couple months before I can go through and check my spares (or sets i don't care about). Only thing i have little of is French.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I have all the sets you mentioned but it will be a couple months before I can go through and check my spares (or sets i don't care about). Only thing i have little of is French.

Take your time. As I mentioned, Bure is on the list but not one of the super-hot guys like Jagr, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Hasek and Forsberg.

Reactions: leetch99

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I have not yet, but I'm definitely going to look at it for next time. I keep hearing good things (both here and elsewhere), and open to it for sure.

The two most powerful things about COMC are that you can sell a lot of cards that are not the top 1%-5% of collecting. There are a lot of set builders on there. Second thing is with the COMC currency, you can use that to buy a lot of stuff from other cards to sealed product from Blowout. You can negate fees/COMC's share of money by converting your money into cards.

Reactions: kaiser matias

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Last couple of weeks eBay purchases have been all hockey (last month was all non-sport):

8 small collections of 5 to 50 sleeve-able singles from 89-93 (all important RCs and first appearance in team uniform cards, Gretzky and Lemieuxs, various inserts, etc.) I got one deal with some 90-91 OPC Premier RC singles plus a bunch of other good cards...paid $5 plus shipping...guy msged me that he tried to cancel the auction but I already bid it

Boxes (I busted most of the boxes already):
2x 91-92 Pro Set Platinum S2 - Hasek, Lidstrom and Mr. Fred Rogers
7x 90-91 Upper Deck Lo French - going for Jagrs
3x 90-91 Upper Deck Hi French - going for Niedermayers plus YGs
1x 90-91 7th Inning Sketch OHL - nothing great
1x 91-92 Upper Deck Lo - Haseks, Forsbergs and Lidstrom CCs (came as 36 loose packs, got it for half price)
100x 91-92 Upper Deck Lo loose Jumbo packs - Hasek and Jagr Euro Stars along with the usual guys
1x 92-93 Upper Deck Hi Jumbos - Euro Rookies (Selanne and Hasek) and Naslund, Kariya, Pronger, Koivu, etc.
1x 91-92 Pinnacle French - Lidstrom, Hasek, etc.
1x 90-91 Upper Deck Hi French - all the usual guys (the box was beat up so the price was super cheap)

I had to run to the card store today and buy another 20 packs of Ultra Pro penny sleeves for all of the singles. So much fun nostalgia.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
My Morgan Rielly Hockey Cards i have a problem

Attachments

• 20210224_181633.jpg
    20210224_181633.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I know we discussed the Team Pinnacle set before. I believe I have some of those in French?

Yes, the 91-92 Pinnacle product came out in English NHL and French LNH, just like Score did the year before. I just busted a box of that last night, the French Pinnacle, looking for Lidstrom, Hasek and Pinnacle B Team (didn’t get one). I have the Gretzky from that set that I busted myself, about ten years ago. I needed the one Gretzky for an article I was writing and I just happened to hit it.
Did you want to sell yours? They aren’t hot right now but since I have the Gretz, I wouldn’t mind building toward a set...I don’t want to open the 50 boxes it would take to come close to opening a set. Let me know.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, the 91-92 Pinnacle product came out in English NHL and French LNH, just like Score did the year before. I just busted a box of that last night, the French Pinnacle, looking for Lidstrom, Hasek and Pinnacle B Team (didn’t get one). I have the Gretzky from that set that I busted myself, about ten years ago. I needed the one Gretzky for an article I was writing and I just happened to hit it.
Did you want to sell yours? They aren’t hot right now but since I have the Gretz, I wouldn’t mind building toward a set...I don’t want to open the 50 boxes it would take to come close to opening a set. Let me know.

I would likely move those. Was never trying to build it. I think I had maybe 7? Will let you know. Finishing a house reno then move.

Reactions: Rorschach

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Whoa, what happened to the Hockey Card prices!? I've been collecting SPA forever and limit myself to just that set usually (Though I sometimes dabble in Young Guns too) and prices are insane.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Whoa, what happened to the Hockey Card prices!? I've been collecting SPA forever and limit myself to just that set usually (Though I sometimes dabble in Young Guns too) and prices are insane.
Whole sports card market went wild during the quarantine.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Sending off to PSA. Hope at least 1 of these gets a 10.

View attachment 414787

Those are all pretty tough cards to get high grades on. Thick patch cards almost never get PSA 10s. Auto cards, generally, are also a bit tough, as the cards have to be transported to the player and back, which increases the odds of damage. Those Bolt cards are cards that people had to pull out of the sports illustrated magazine. Although definitely worth getting graded, as if those Bolt cards come back a 10, the price goes up by about 50x to like $20k. Even the 7 bolt cards go for a lot.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I don't get why the o pee chee 79-80 unopened packs are selling for 3K USD...wtf??? Who is buying at that price?

Because it's not even close to a guarantee of a Gretzky and even if you get one, there are many Gretzky Rookies with low card value due to low card grade.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Those are all pretty tough cards to get high grades on. Thick patch cards almost never get PSA 10s. Auto cards, generally, are also a bit tough, as the cards have to be transported to the player and back, which increases the odds of damage. Those Bolt cards are cards that people had to pull out of the sports illustrated magazine. Although definitely worth getting graded, as if those Bolt cards come back a 10, the price goes up by about 50x to like $20k. Even the 7 bolt cards go for a lot.
Yeah I ripped the Bolts from the SI magazines myself. In good shape and I think have a chance at a 10. Obviously would be amazing if one did. The Makar won't 10, has a small mark on the top edge. The McDavid and Tyson are really in good shape, I think they have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad