Hockey Cards - Part III

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Exactly! It’s not even a card of Patrick Kane. I get paying more for one of the parallels of that set, but like, it’s the worst of the Turgeon brothers. And also Dale Hawerchuk and Doug Bodger.

Kane is on the card though as a kid, some people just might find that cool to collect since that's like a one in a million chance of happening. Not me personally, but some people. Might as well say collecting any card is dumb.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Kane is on the card though as a kid, some people just might find that cool to collect since that's like a one in a million chance of happening. Not me personally, but some people. Might as well say collecting any card is dumb.

I don’t deny that it’s cool, but it’s stupid. Especially seeing A: it’s not a Kane rookie card and B: you can literally print off a copy at home and still get the same experience. Because it’s not like the 1994-95 Pinnacle set was produced is a small quantity.

That being said, I used to have this card and the early 90s cards used to have some great photos used on cards to balance out the “wtf” cards

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Don't use KSA, either PSA or BGS.

If you can, always go PSA. They're grading is a joke and people take them as the 2nd best service, so it adds that much value to the grade.

Just got an update from psa for the cards I sent in August. My first batch is now being encapsulated. 112 ultra modern cards. Pretty excited, but it's been a minute.

Weird they take so long. They don't even take a good look at the card before grading it.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If you can, always go PSA. They're grading is a joke and people take them as the 2nd best service, so it adds that much value to the grade.

Weird they take so long. They don't even take a good look at the card before grading it.
It used to be that BGS 9.5 = PSA 10 and a BGS 9.5 True Gem would sell more than a PSA 10, not sure what happened. Pretty sure all these new collectors coming in and seeing a 10 and thinks it's better.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It used to be that BGS 9.5 = PSA 10 and a BGS 9.5 True Gem would sell more than a PSA 10, not sure what happened. Pretty sure all these new collectors coming in and seeing a 10 and thinks it's better.

They must.

If you can get PSA to grade it.

I sent some off to Mint Grading.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's crazy how much more a psa 10 is going for now vs the bgs 9.5. Americans prefer psa, and that's where a lot of the big money is coming from now. Imo Beckett is also pricing themselves out. They are charging more than psa, and no one is digging Beckett's non subgrade service. And yeah I think you are correct people just see 10 and automatically thinks it's better, without understanding how Beckett 9.5s work.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's crazy how much more a psa 10 is going for now vs the bgs 9.5. Americans prefer psa, and that's where a lot of the big money is coming from now. Imo Beckett is also pricing themselves out. They are charging more than psa, and no one is digging Beckett's non subgrade service. And yeah I think you are correct people just see 10 and automatically thinks it's better, without understanding how Beckett 9.5s work.
PSA just doubled their grading prices, we'll see if more people use BGS now.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
PSA just doubled their grading prices, we'll see if more people use BGS now.
Bgs has been increasing their prices too. I think we'll just likely see less people grading lower end cards. The high prices are likely to stay until the market settles down.

As much as it sucks to pay so much for grading, the reason is because the price of graded cards has trippled. I'm paying twice as much for grading, but a Makar yg psa 10 is selling for like $800. You could get a Crosby for that a few years ago.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Screenshot_20210321-232158_eBay.jpg

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I reckon they're likely overwhelmed by people sending in cards that are worth less than the cost to even grade them.

Bound to create a backlog in the system.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Looking for Gretzky cup autos and auto patches and Gretzky SOTT stuff if anyone looking to sell or trade.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
The problem is stuff like this - it’s such an absurd price that there’s a good chance this was shill bid up (this applies to lesser values cards too). Certain things like that Mcdave FWA bgs 10 I somewhat understand, but there just can’t be this many cards worth as much as they’re going for.
Ah I'm just seeing this one was best offer accepted. So not sure what it actually went for, $60k seems crazy for sure.

upload_2021-3-22_11-58-30.png

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Apparently people are complete idiots then.

Yup. In a sense, the entire card collecting industry is a bit crazy. It's one thing for an entire world power government to issue pieces of paper that people universally value, in the form of currency. It's quite another for a minor company like Topps (a chewing gum company) or Upper Deck (who has declared bankruptcy multiple times) to issue pieces of paper worth more than currency.

Think about it...the US government, the largest common denomination of Federal Reserve bill that is printed by the BEP (Bureau of Engraving and Printing) is $100. Historically, there have been $500, $1000, $10,000, $100,000 bills...last $100,000 bill was a gold certificate issued during the great depression. Since that time during the depression, multiple companies including Topps (baseball), Panini (basketball), Upper Deck (multiple sports) and Fleer (basketball) in sports, and Wizards Of The Coast (Magic) and Pokemon Company/Nintendo (Pokemon) have issued many cards that have sold for over $100,000 on the open market.

Yeah, we're all a little crazy here. Then again this is HFBoards where futures are somehow more valuable than established NHL players.

Reactions: ted2019

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Exactly! It’s not even a card of Patrick Kane. I get paying more for one of the parallels of that set, but like, it’s the worst of the Turgeon brothers. And also Dale Hawerchuk and Doug Bodger.

Think of it this way...it is the Frick Face Billy Ripken card of hockey cards.

In the old days of collecting, a Home Run leaders card with guys like Hank Aaron and Willie McCovey was not considered a collectible card, unlike an actual Hank Aaron card and a Willie McCovey card, and were relegated to the commons bin. But nowadays, people really like these kinds of cards with multiple big name HOFers, despite not being the player's actual card. Same with Highlights and Record Breakers cards...as long as it's someone highly collectible on the card in some way, it's a valued and appreciated card. This is especially true if the card has a high PSA grade...because the PSA set registry collectors consider these cards 100% part of the set registry.

So, times change and demand changes too. The hockey card market right now is going through a massive change in demand (in other words, what people consider as valueable). The last 10+ years' worth of Upper Deck rookie card collecting has 99% been focused on cards made after a player has played X number of games in the NHL (Young Guns, for example).

However back in the 90s, Upper Deck made many elite stars' cards of player s in their pre-NHL uniform (Niedermayer - WJC Team Canada, Selanne - Canada Cup Team Finland, Forsberg - 1st round draft pick, and many others like Kariya, Lindros, Potvin, Lidstrom, Chris Drury, Bure, Kovalev, Jagr, etc.). Nowadays, many of those players' second year cards, first in their NHL uniforms on playing on NHL ice, are now worth money too, in high grade. This shift in paradigm reflects baseball card collecting, where MLB tells card manufacturers they can use the RC symbol designation on cards with the player in their MLB uniform in a real game while the Bowman brand has prospect players in their minor league uniforms.

Last edited:
Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Yep. In 2015, BGS 9.5 was 90% to 130% to PSA 10. In baseball, overall PSA 10 was > BGS 9.5 while in hockey, BGS was king.

But now, there is a ton of money (and I mean millions of $$) being poured into the hockey card market by collector-investors, nearly all of whom have been focused on the baseball/basketball and Magic/Pokemon market the last 5-10 years. They bring their own preferences into the marketplace.

For example, player name recognition is huge to them...brand name is not as important. To longtime hockey card collectors, a Jaromir Jagr OPC Premier RC is worth something but a Jagr Pro Set S2 RC card is almost worthless as are all Pro Set cards of that year, especially Series 2. To these investors who weren't collecting during the Pro Set time, all Jagr RCs are worth something because they are all Jagr RCs...as long as the PSA pop report supports the collectable-ness of that card. These collector-investors don't feel as much stigma against Pro Set...they very likely weren't collecting hockey back when dealers had 500 boxes and were offering to sell them at less than $5 a box.

For example, these people think Chrome and Prizm is king while in hockey, the plain old Young Guns is king to hockey collectors...so UD came up with acetate YG as hockey's version of Chrome.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008

Not sure this is accurate... Yes they have a lower standard for a 10, but that is by design. PSA's website, scanner app, pop reports, set registries are all pretty solid and cool IMO.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just got an email about the other PSA order from August, 102 modern cards now being graded. Really glad I got these in when I did. I paid $8 or 9/card. By the time I'd sent in the cards, the price had already increased.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not sold on the Kaprizov hype, Stutzle is the YG to get in series 2 IMO.

Also did anyone notice that shops are getting greedier when it comes to breaking? I'm almost breaking exclusively on FB now because they're so much cheaper. It's absurd that these FB breakers that pay retail prices can give better prices thqn big shops that get distributor pricing.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm not sold on the Kaprizov hype, Stutzle is the YG to get in series 2 IMO.

Also did anyone notice that shops are getting greedier when it comes to breaking? I'm almost breaking exclusively on FB now because they're so much cheaper. It's absurd that these FB breakers that pay retail prices can give better prices thqn big shops that get distributor pricing.

Keep all the young guns. Someone might get traded to a Canadian team, or get a 5 point night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad