Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I love how even though he's asking 4 Grand for this card he's still like " I'm gonna ask for 20 bucks for shipping " to try and make a few extra bucks.:shakehead
If I am spending $100+ I refuse to buy from anyone not offering free shipping. Too many that charge for shipping also overcharge.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
I love how even though he's asking 4 Grand for this card he's still like " I'm gonna ask for 20 bucks for shipping " to try and make a few extra bucks.:shakehead

What would shipping w/tracking, as well as insurance for $4000 value generally run?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Its insane how much Laffys YG is going for. I shutter to think how much more his card would be going for if he landed in Montreal lol. Im not even sure ill be able to get my annual case at this point. People are scooping them up like crazy.
The funny thing is before he has even played a game, his YG is already going for more than McDavid’s did when he was a rookie. McDavid was hyped as a generational talent, whereas many hockey experts have cautioned that although Lafreniere would be the consensus #1 pick, he’s not projected to be a McDavid/Crosby type talent. He’s usually been compared to Rick Nash. Big spenders have either lost sight of that, ignored it, or simply don’t care.

I’m certainly not complaining though. I was sitting on dozens of Lafreniere cards ranging from cheap stuff (CHL Scouting Report to his UD 30th Anniversary diamond relic /30). His 2018-19 CHL base card even sells well. With the current market and the cost of boxes/cases, I’ll get his YG when it drops and normalizes in price. I picture the market of Lafreniere’s YG being somewhat similar to Ovechkin’s and MacKinnon’s YGs. They started in high demand like all YGs do, but then the YGs softened (Ovy was down to at least $80 and MacK $40 at one time) before going up again. Impulse buyers will get their Lafreniere’s now, he will come down (who knows how far)... he hasn’t played a single game yet.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
The funny thing is before he has even played a game, his YG is already going for more than McDavid’s did when he was a rookie. McDavid was hyped as a generational talent, whereas many hockey experts have cautioned that although Lafreniere would be the consensus #1 pick, he’s not projected to be a McDavid/Crosby type talent. He’s usually been compared to Rick Nash. Big spenders have either lost sight of that, ignored it, or simply don’t care.

I’m certainly not complaining though. I was sitting on dozens of Lafreniere cards ranging from cheap stuff (CHL Scouting Report to his UD 30th Anniversary diamond relic /30). His 2018-19 CHL base card even sells well. With the current market and the cost of boxes/cases, I’ll get his YG when it drops and normalizes in price. I picture the market of Lafreniere’s YG being somewhat similar to Ovechkin’s and MacKinnon’s YGs. They started in high demand like all YGs do, but then the YGs softened (Ovy was down to at least $80 and MacK $40 at one time) before going up again. Impulse buyers will get their Lafreniere’s now, he will come down (who knows how far)... he hasn’t played a single game yet.
He's already down to $300. Guessing he'll be down to $200 in no time, feels like everyone is just cracking boxes to try and make a few bucks rather than actually wanting to collect Lafrenière. There's such a huge flood of his YG on the market the prices will take a deep dive.

Reactions: Canadian Game

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Watched a case break yesterday and 3 Laf YG's were pulled and a Draft card.

If there are 3 in 1 case, that means some cases are getting zero. I'd prefer a more even distribution, where each case gets a full set of YGs.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
47 yrs old, collecting since i was about 5. this ud set, inserts and all are the ugliest cheapest cards ever made by the company bar none.

I'm still waiting for my stuff in the mail, so can't comment on quality. In terms of looks, I find this year to be quite good looking cards though. Especially the "Dazzlers" cards. These have to be the nicest Series 1/2 inserts we've had in a while. You typically would only find something like this as a rare insert in a higher mid-range set. The Design on the jersey cards is also really nice. Love the way the incorporated the stick. I also really like the purple/blue foil at the bottom of the young guns.

The canvas and base are pretty standard. The "NHL Worldwide" cards look lazy and cheap to me, but some people like those.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Is there a difference between a 20-21 UD hobby box and retail box? Seeing prices of $130-140 on ebay for a hobby box, 24 packs/8 cards per pack and then "retail" boxes of 24 packs/8 cards per pack for $80. Are there better guarantees in the hobby boxes?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Is there a difference between a 20-21 UD hobby box and retail box? Seeing prices of $130-140 on ebay for a hobby box, 24 packs/8 cards per pack and then "retail" boxes of 24 packs/8 cards per pack for $80. Are there better guarantees in the hobby boxes?

Hobby Boxes have all inserts and parallel, while Retail mostly have just rookies and some of the lesser inserts.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hobby Boxes have all inserts and parallel, while Retail mostly have just rookies and some of the lesser inserts.

Hobby has numbered cards like Exclusives and High Gloss. Hobby also had autos (1 per case) and acetate cards, like clear cuts.

Other than that inserts are largely the same.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
A local shop is selling for inflated prices but still cheaper than all other sources I have seen. Picked up 2 boxes. Disappointed in UD quality control. The shrink wrap is shoddy and hasty. It it weren't for the UD printing on the wrap and a trusted source I would think they were re-wrapped. If this arrived from an E-Bay seller I would have been pissed.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Sell, sell, sell.

There's going to be a lot more supply of Lafreniere ygs once retail drops in Canada. It'll be below $200CAD quite soon- the hockey market is too small to support these prices if everyone can get their paws on them.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
A local shop is selling for inflated prices but still cheaper than all other sources I have seen. Picked up 2 boxes. Disappointed in UD quality control. The shrink wrap is shoddy and hasty. It it weren't for the UD printing on the wrap and a trusted source I would think they were re-wrapped. If this arrived from an E-Bay seller I would have been pissed.

Agreed- the shrink wrap looks like its been beat around and loosened.

I've opened 5 boxes and I've hit 2 Lafreniere ygs and 1 Laf ygc. One of my Lafreniere ygs has rounded corners- which has been a noted QC issue.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Question that people here should be able to answer:

I see that Michael DiPietro has a Young Guns card this year. However he played a game in 2018-19, and another last year, so wouldn't he have qualified for last years edition? Why did he have to wait until 2020-21 for that? From what I've gathered goalies only have to dress for an NHL game to qualify, and DiPietro easily did that.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
One box opened. Pulled the Laff YG Canvas & the YG checklist and a gold parallel Predominant (Draisaitl). These cards are fresh off the line but many of the packs are already bricks. Some of the cards already have scratched surfaces and one card looks like OPC from the 80's with the jagged edge. It does not end with the shrink wrap. Upper Deck dropped the ball. They will not be getting any more of my money.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Mother of god lol, that's a sold listing for the French variant.

VfxssPa.png
Is there a site to use that shows previous eBay sales (besides eBay’s crappy way of allowing you to see the past 3 months but no info on offers accepted) ? I use sportscards.com but they did an update recently and screwed it all up.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Anyone have any 2013-14 Mackinnon Prizm or Select cards they’re looking to sell and/or know where I can get them?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Finally made it home and as promised, here's a pic of my Gretzky rookie (just a quick snap with a phone).

As I said, not saying it's better overall than the PSA 10 pictured earlier but on edges, I find them to be crisper (which is where I take issue with them calling that a 10). Top to bottom centering is off. Left right is pretty good. Anyway, long story short, there were cards with pretty good edges in the 80's. Many of my cards from back then have similar edging without a lot of the historical problems. Yes, some have it but contrary to belief, if you were discerning, they were out there.

Gretzky-RC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad