Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
10 000 USD to anyone who has or will manage to get Lafreniere’s Rangers Young Guns High Gloss collection rookie card.

Is that for real?

Yup. The rumour is that he's already bought a few. Looks like he's trying to hoard them and then control the prices.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
10 000 USD to anyone who has or will manage to get Lafreniere’s Rangers Young Guns High Gloss collection rookie card.

Is that for real?
Funny thing is a few people offered crazy bounties for them. Two people had passed on someone offering $13,000 in hopes to get more. Then another guy pulled one and cashed out on the $13,000 immediately. I don’t see anyone getting more. My understanding is that French-Canadian collectors are the main one offering bounties. If the Habs landed the first overall pick, I can’t imagine what Lafreniere’s cards would be selling for.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Im totally noob in regard to Hockey cards. But it is still an amazing thing.

How many such special cards could be out? And why exactly this card is so special?

The High Gloss are limited to 10 total copies. Found only in hobby boxes. Some will be in physical boxes, and some in the E-Pack online boxes.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Laf prices already dropping like a rock.
once E-Cards come out for this, Gonna be around 130$ish

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

Is that for real?
Just saw one posted on eBay for $15k. Look I get the rarity and desire for that card. But you have to be smoking something fierce to think it’s worth more than basically all Gretzky and Lemieux rookies, despite the fact that ya know HE HASNT PLAYED A GAME.

I think Lafrienere is a future star. But everyone said same exact think about Jack Hughes and we saw that Hughes was ok but not great last year and his prices fell significantly.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
For reference, the most recent McDavid YG high gloss sale I can find was $16k for a BGS 9.5. Essentially people want the same amount of money for a Laffy high gloss as the the highest graded version for the best player in the game.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
For reference, the most recent McDavid YG high gloss sale I can find was $16k for a BGS 9.5. Essentially people want the same amount of money for a Laffy high gloss as the the highest graded version for the best player in the game.
I think it's one guy trying to control the market on the Laff high gloss. The more he pays the more he can ask.

High gloss isn't the way to go, imo. When the Cup hits nobody will really want a high gloss.

I pulled 8 Laff regular YGs out my cases and a Krebs and Beaudin high gloss. I ain't even mad.

To the people who said series one was weak, I now fully agree with you.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Laf prices already dropping like a rock.
once E-Cards come out for this, Gonna be around 130$ish
Buy.

If Laff hits what everyone says he will that card projects to be a 300 dollar card.

New York has a way of turning star cards ridiculous

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
What are the hard to get Tim hortons cards

My son and I have bought and opened 384 packs so far and have yet to pull a JT Miller #111 from the base set. We have pulled 3 Edmonton Trios in that but not one if his. That has to be a record.

In general I find it a lot harder to pull the Trios this season as opposed to all the others

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
My son and I have bought and opened 384 packs so far and have yet to pull a JT Miller #111 from the base set. We have pulled 3 Edmonton Trios in that but not one if his. That has to be a record.

In general I find it a lot harder to pull the Trios this season as opposed to all the others

Wow, that’s a lot of packs, think I have 8 packs, no trios yet

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Opened 4 hobby boxes of 2020/21 Series 1 last night. Pretty disappointed. The only hobby hits I got were the French cards (which were 1 per box). Not a single numbered card. That means, they produced a lot of this stuff. More so than even the McDavid year.

I would recommend avoiding the hobby stuff, as it's not worth the premium price. Wait for retail products on sale to chase that Laf.

Did your YGs have rounded corners? Seems to be happening to a lot of people

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
No rounded edges in my box but I know it is happening to a lot of people. My biggest complaint was how many cards I had stuck together. How does this happen this early? Upper Deck using a different gloss? I know a dealer and he asked a UD distributor about the rounded corner issue. Distributor is feigning ignorance and claiming "we've heard nothing". There is enough defective product out there that I am hesitant to open my second box.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
No rounded edges in my box but I know it is happening to a lot of people. My biggest complaint was how many cards I had stuck together. How does this happen this early? Upper Deck using a different gloss? I know a dealer and he asked a UD distributor about the rounded corner issue. Distributor is feigning ignorance and claiming "we've heard nothing". There is enough defective product out there that I am hesitant to open my second box.
Ok I'm not the only one.

I was gonna say something about the quality slipping a bit this year but didn't want to be negative with a huge release

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

A lot of my base cards are rounded. I build a couple of sets ever year, so I'll use the base from my retail boxes. My YGs look alright but not incredible. My Dipietro has a dinged corner. Fortunately I didn't hit any big ones lol. My two best YGs were both Canvas: Juolevi and Vilardi. Both are in great condition. The canvas cards are great.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Apparently the set this year has a lot if bad cut cards and damaged ones
It's all over the place. The canvas and dazzler inserts are all in incredible shape. Especially the dazzlers, which is rare for a foil card.

Let's be honest there's only one card in this set people want, and the Lafs are coming out dinged from the hobby boxes. Another reason not to buy hobby this year. UD pumped out a ridiculous amount of product and it's all beat up.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

Would be interesting to see how many Lafreniere and other YGs will eventually be sent back for replacement. Unless its dirt cheap, I doubt I'll buy anymore unless UD prints a second wave.

Also, an article about the Tom Horton's cards:

https://nypost.com/2020/11/28/hocke...rd-promotion-in-canada/?utm_source=reddit.com

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Would be interesting to see how many Lafreniere and other YGs will eventually be sent back for replacement. Unless its dirt cheap, I doubt I'll buy anymore unless UD prints a second wave.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/28/hocke...rd-promotion-in-canada/?utm_source=reddit.com

Unless they’ve come out and said “guaranteed these are in XXth pack in each area sold” they don’t get that those are the odds (they’re still the odds anyway across the entire production run). I mean I suppose it’d suck to not get a set if you’re a collector. But if you’re doing it to turn around and make money, then it sucks to be you and you deserve it. Because this is like playing the lotto.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

The issue is that UD won't typically replace cards for minor rounding on the corners. So we'll end up with a lot of Laf BGS/PSA 9 cards.

That being said, the cards coming out of retail, which accounts for most Young Guns, seems to be much bettter in quality. So, overall, there will be a lot of Laf YGs in good condition, just not the ones coming out of the physical hobby boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad