Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah man, we're really getting it up the aunt flows bestfriend right now up here.

Become my pen pal. Ship me boxes. Muahahahaha lol.

For about 5 years I was doing the dealer thing and breaking boxes (kind of before it became a thing), though I wasn't doing it the way they do it now. I found it very frustrating that as a dealer I was supposedly getting boxes at reduced rates yet I would always see them being sold on ebay at cheaper prices than what I was getting them.

Reactions: TheGreatOne11

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Man, you're on a wholeeeeeeeee nother financial level than me if you can afford "the cup" series lmao
Hah, I bought 2 and got a nice presale price of $675 per box which came to $734 each with taxes and shipping.

I sold 1 for $900 total after shipping and ebay fees, so $166 back right there.

$734-$166 = $568. Not far off from the $420 you spent on Artifacts, lol jk.

But yeah it's a big price to pay and a huge gamble. Wouldn't recommend unless you have the money to blow, happy I got the Hughes but have seen some people whiff bad and get like $200 of value back.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Hah, I bought 2 and got a nice presale price of $675 per box which came to $734 each with taxes and shipping.

I sold 1 for $900 total after shipping and ebay fees, so $166 back right there.

$734-$166 = $568. Not far off from the $420 you spent on Artifacts, lol jk.

But yeah it's a big price to pay and a huge gamble. Wouldn't recommend unless you have the money to blow, happy I got the Hughes but have seen some people whiff bad and get like $200 of value back.

Prices are just getting ridiculous, I'd like to get the cup series st some point bit right now there is just no way.

I think I may get another artifacts box later on this year, and grab two of the series 2 from upperdeck and that may be it for me until next season.

Is that Canadian or American? Confusing on here sometimes people throwing so many prices around lol. I'm gonna assume Canadian so great price. Where can you pre-order in Canada for the best results? In the future I think I'd rather go that route, I love supporting local business but I feel he uocharges a bit too much.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Prices are just getting ridiculous, I'd like to get the cup series st some point bit right now there is just no way.

I think I may get another artifacts box later on this year, and grab two of the series 2 from upperdeck and that may be it for me until next season.

Is that Canadian or American? Confusing on here sometimes people throwing so many prices around lol. I'm gonna assume Canadian so great price. Where can you pre-order in Canada for the best results? In the future I think I'd rather go that route, I love supporting local business but I feel he uocharges a bit too much.

Ah yeah I am talking USD.

I got The Cup preorders from here: Hockey Card Pre-sells | DA Card World

Not sure if they ship to Canada.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Are autographed cards (from in-person or mail signings) worth getting certified using PSA services?

I have a lot of signed cards, including a Gretzky but really don't think they're worth much unless I get them certified - but not even sure its worth it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Opened my 10 tins....and no Laf :( Best cards were two McMichael YGs....yes my luck with 2020/21 is horrible. The base cards all had curved edges, but the Young Guns and inserts themselves looked good, except for 1 YG with dinged corner, so quality control is improving.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’m actually pretty happy a few group breaks last month paid off for me. I’m glad the breaker decided to wait with all the non-team marked receptions until the checklist came out so no one got shafted. Props to Blue Line Breaks eventhough the guy who runs it is one of 4 Panthers fans in existence.

Attachments

• 6FC5B1B3-F63A-42CC-8680-A880A8D76C7F.jpeg
    6FC5B1B3-F63A-42CC-8680-A880A8D76C7F.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 10

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Opened my 10 tins....and no Laf :( Best cards were two McMichael YGs....yes my luck with 2020/21 is horrible. The base cards all had curved edges, but the Young Guns and inserts themselves looked good, except for 1 YG with dinged corner, so quality control is improving.
You should have just bought retail boxes. Hobby boxes of course then retail boxes. Tins/blasters/fat packs have been awful in my experience. Especially this year with QC being a huge issue.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You should have just bought retail boxes. Hobby boxes of course then retail boxes. Tins/blasters/fat packs have been awful in my experience. Especially this year with QC being a huge issue.

My hobby boxes were all pretty poor quality. Also, the type of S1 product doesn't change your odds of pulling any one specific Young Guns card....I just have awful luck this year. That being said, we may find out that Laf is not the best YG long-run, as he is playing like crap right now. Some random YG may emerge as the most valuable.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
A dumb question - do you simply send a photo? Is it costly?

Best, quickest and cheapest way to get a real value on your card:

Search eBay. But, turn on the Completed/Sold filter settings. Sort by date. The latest date something actually sold for that listed price is the best way to get real value because it's what someone paid. Don't forget to factor in the shipping and tax.

Second way...

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
My hobby boxes were all pretty poor quality. Also, the type of S1 product doesn't change your odds of pulling any one specific Young Guns card....I just have awful luck this year. That being said, we may find out that Laf is not the best YG long-run, as he is playing like crap right now. Some random YG may emerge as the most valuable.
The odds change based on the product opening if you look. Plus the clear cut are hobby exclusive parallels as well. I’ve been building this set since 2011-12 and opening cards quite a bit longer then that. It’s just what I’ve seen from my personal experience.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
For about 5 years I was doing the dealer thing and breaking boxes (kind of before it became a thing), though I wasn't doing it the way they do it now. I found it very frustrating that as a dealer I was supposedly getting boxes at reduced rates yet I would always see them being sold on ebay at cheaper prices than what I was getting them.

If you're in Canada, your sealed product price is controlled/fixed by the cabal. In the US, there are so many wholesalers and bigtime high volume dealers that they compete with each other everywhere online. Hockey, which does not go up guaranteed nor does it go up super-quick, you often can get wholesale prices (much lower than Canada cost price even to a dealer) as a regular joe even a month after the product comes out.

The same should be true for all sports but it isn't for basketball nor any of the good/high demand baseball brands (like all of the Bowman stuff).

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Did you buy loose hobby boxes or a sealed case? I always assume I will get rocked buying loose hobby boxes simply because it winds up being close to 50/50 odds if your hobby box is a nice one (with a case/low serial numbered hit/key YG)...that's just how UD stacks the boxes with case hits, 50/50 is the best odds in any product.

So it's very good odds buying two or three hobby boxes that all two or three fell on the wrong side of the 50/50. On the other hand if you buy a case of 12 boxes, you get like 4 to 9 (the roughly 50/50) case hits, which is awesome.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The odds change based on the product opening if you look. Plus the clear cut are hobby exclusive parallels as well. I’ve been building this set since 2011-12 and opening cards quite a bit longer then that. It’s just what I’ve seen from my personal experience.

The odds of getting a young guns change, but not the odds of pulling a specific one. I pulled a lot of Young Guns, just not the Laffy one.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The odds of getting a young guns change, but not the odds of pulling a specific one. I pulled a lot of Young Guns, just not the Laffy one.

One year, I pulled five Stamkos YG from loose boxes (and pulled 0 of my boy Drew Doughty). Another year, out of a three cases of loose boxes I only pulled one RNH YG despite getting a minumum 5 of every other YG. Yet looking back, I made out quite well.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It’s still 6 per box. Always has been. Usually an additional one if one is canvas or a parallel. Only with retail products does it change.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
This sounds interesting, any more information?

Always interested in the behind the scenes type stuff like this.

Simply put, cards are made by US companies, they must be imported into Canada by distributors. There are only a couple of these distributors in Canada that can do this. Since there are so few, they collude on the price...also Canada has some brutal sales taxes. So between the distributors colluding and the government, I call this the cabal, where each takes their rather unfair portion of each sale, adding no value, and making the minimum price on any box something like 35% more than in the original US cost.

And we're not even talking about the conversion rate yet.

Our poor fellow HF member paid $210 for his box of Artifacts.
Here is a walkup regular Joe Schmoe price in the US:
2020/21 UPPER DECK ARTIFACTS HOCKEY HOBBY 10-BOX CASE | eBay

That's basically $146.50 per box that any dude can buy, free shipping. That's not even wholesale yet. And it's a very legit dealer, Dave and Adams.

Reactions: kaiser matias

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It’s still 6 per box. Always has been. Usually an additional one if one is canvas or a parallel. Only with retail products does it change.

You're right but I don't think he's saying he got shorted, he's saying he didn't hit Laf in the YGs he did get.

Reactions: blankall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad