Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
This is getting out of hand. :amazed:

More from CBS Sports:

Dallas Mavericks star Luka Doncic has quickly established himself as one of the NBA's biggest attractions in a short time. The latest example is that a very rare Doncic rookie card sold on Sunday for more money than any NBA card ever has.

The card -- which went for a whopping $4.6 million on the open market -- features the NBA logoman catch, which is from a Mavericks jersey that Doncic wore, and a signature in blue ink. It was the only card made of that specific variety.

The Doncic card was originally from a box of 2018-19 Panini National Treasures Basketball trading cards and was revealed during a live pack break at the Layton Sports Card shop in Altamonte Springs, Fla. The card ended up being sold to collector Bolillo Lajan San. It's unclear what he initially paid for it, though TMZ Sports claims San paid more than $400,000 for the card.
On Sunday, San sold the ultra-rare Doncic card to high-end collector Nick Fiorella for $4.6 million. Not a bad investment on San's part.

This Doncic card isn't just the most expensive NBA card -- it's the second-highest purchase of any sport trading card in history. Only a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card sold for more ($5.2 million). Prior to the Mantle card being sold, the previous record was a 2009 Mike Trout rookie card that sold for $3.9 million.

Doncic has the potential to be in the conversation among the all-time greats if he continues on the current trajectory that he's on. If that ends up being the case, the value of Fiorella's might increase even more.

It's funny because if you read up on this card, he didn't even sign it - his mom did :laugh:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Sick card, but 10k. Damn

upload_2021-3-2_10-27-56.png

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Which recent year and series has the best group of young guns?

Depends on what you mean by recent.

In the last 4 years 2019/20 for sure. Both S1 and S2 are solid. Before that 2016/17 blows everything else out of the water, with Matthews, Marner, Tkachuk, Laine, Nylander, Barzal, Point, Chabot, Aho, etc...

2015/16 obviously has McDavid. Beyond that you have Eichel in Series 2 (the rest of Series 2 is garbage that year), then Series 1 also has Panarin, Helleybyuck, Rantanen, and a few others. 2014 Series 1 has Draisaitl, Gaudreau, and a few other mid range guys. Series 2 eneded up being arguably better that year with Pastrnak, Vasilevskiy, Binnington, etc...

2013/14 was pretty loaded with the double rookie class. You had MacKinnon, but also a lot of depth in there with Barkov, Kucherov, Ghallagher, Rielly, Toffoli, Tarasenko, Gibson, JT Miller, Seth Jones, Monahan, T. Hertl, etc...

Overall, I'd say 2016/17 is the best recent year for young guns.

Edit: 2018/19 is actually looking better every day. You have Pettersson, Svechnikov, Hart, Kyrou, Kotkainiemi, Heiskanen, Batherson, Comtois, Blackwood, B. Tkachuk, etc... still nowhere near 2016/17 though.

Last edited:

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Exactly what I was looking for thank you. Dave & Adams doesn't have any 16/17 in stock.

Another question, I see a regular box of 19/20 for $64.95, "fat pack" box for $129.95 and a lot of 3 "mega" boxes for $119.95.

regular box: 24 Packs Per, 8 Cards Per Pack = 192 cards x 2 boxes for same price as other 2.
Fat packs: 18 Packs Per Box, 26 Cards Per Pack = 468 cards
Mega boxes: 10 Packs, 8 Cards Per Pack plus One 3-Card 1994/95 Rookie Die Cut Tribute Bonus Pack in Every Box = 83 cards x 3 = 249 cards

Are you getting the full assortment of inserts at the same odds on these fat packs and mega boxes? The fat packs seem to be the best bang for the buck just looking at those numbers at face value.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Exactly what I was looking for thank you. Dave & Adams doesn't have any 16/17 in stock.

Another question, I see a regular box of 19/20 for $64.95, "fat pack" box for $129.95 and a lot of 3 "mega" boxes for $119.95.

regular box: 24 Packs Per, 8 Cards Per Pack = 192 cards x 2 boxes for same price as other 2.
Fat packs: 18 Packs Per Box, 26 Cards Per Pack = 468 cards
Mega boxes: 10 Packs, 8 Cards Per Pack plus One 3-Card 1994/95 Rookie Die Cut Tribute Bonus Pack in Every Box = 83 cards x 3 = 249 cards

Are you getting the full assortment of inserts at the same odds on these fat packs and mega boxes? The fat packs seem to be the best bang for the buck just looking at those numbers at face value.

In terms of value, I would just look at how many Young Guns you are getting per dollar. Base cards have no value.

Yes, the odds of pulling Young Guns will be different for all 3 boxes. It looks like the regular box is the best deal there for that. The "Mega boxes" from that year have an extra bonus pack of rookies thrown in. The bonus back does have some value, but not enough to make up for the difference at that price point.

As far as 2019/20 goes, Series 2 may be bit better than Series 1. Series 1 has the Hughes brothers, Kubalik, Texier, Olofsson, Fox, etc...it's a little bit early to make the determination of how strong this group is long term. You never really know how strong a Young Guns crop is until 4+ years after release.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Speaking of the Jersey Cards, what kind of case/protection do you put those in. Pulled my first couple today and the double/triple thick card do not fit the standard holder.

They make toploaders in lots of different thicknesses.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Like that for the Dionne, it specifically mentions 1979-80 and has a photo of him with the Kings, but the jersey colours are clearly from his time with the Red Wings.
And for the Flames 8 player card it has a blue jersey for Gary Roberts. Clearly not a Flames jersey. I think the material under the Lanny jersey doesn't look like a Flames jersey either, but I won't claim that to be a wrong team jersey just based on that. Interesting that ITG still does things like that. I do really like their cards though.

Reactions: kaiser matias

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
And for the Flames 8 player card it has a blue jersey for Gary Roberts. Clearly not a Flames jersey. I think the material under the Lanny jersey doesn't look like a Flames jersey either, but I won't claim that to be a wrong team jersey just based on that. Interesting that ITG still does things like that. I do really like their cards though.

That's one thing I always hate, when the jersey isn't from the team on the card.

If I get a Maple Leaf Borje Salming, not interested in a Red Wing jersey on the card.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, I don't mean to critique the card at all, I just found it funny they went that way.

I have a few like that as well, the jersey is clearly not of the team on the card, but that one was just really odd.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cool thanks. Judging from what I've read in here and looking up prices, they are not really worth all that much but kind of neat pulling the first couple from various couple of boxes.
The cool thing about super short printed cards, is that they don't really have a "guide" value, you just have to look at comparable sales online if you can find them, and if you can't, then set the price at what feels right to you. That Plante 1/1 is amazing, I don't think anyone could convince me that it was worth any specific dollar amount if I pulled it. Now, I need to leave this thread before I get sucked back into the money pit that is hockey cards, ha ha.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Nice pull

Am I the only one who finds himself frequently unimpressed by product like The Cup?

Cards look nice but I often find it disappointing in terms of some of the names as well as the number produced. For me, something that expensive should be more limited in card numbers and should only have sure fire players. The Orr is sweet. I wouldn't pay much for any of the rest. That's just me though.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The cool thing about super short printed cards, is that they don't really have a "guide" value, you just have to look at comparable sales online if you can find them, and if you can't, then set the price at what feels right to you. That Plante 1/1 is amazing, I don't think anyone could convince me that it was worth any specific dollar amount if I pulled it. Now, I need to leave this thread before I get sucked back into the money pit that is hockey cards, ha ha.

My favourite ever pull from a pack was a Maurice Richard glove numbered out of 10.

I think (tying into my statement about The Cup above) maybe part of my problem is I prefer vintage stuff. You can't get 10,000 jerseys of an old player and in many cases autographs any more. My most recent favourite two pulls came from two $14 Walmart boxes: a Sid Abel and a Woody Dumart autographed pre Parkie.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My favourite ever pull from a pack was a Maurice Richard glove numbered out of 10.

I think (tying into my statement about The Cup above) maybe part of my problem is I prefer vintage stuff. You can't get 10,000 jerseys of an old player and in many cases autographs any more. My most recent favourite two pulls came from two $14 Walmart boxes: a Sid Abel and a Woody Dumart autographed pre Parkie.
Yeah, there is something about pulling a good vintage player card. I pulled a sweet Mario 1/1 jersey from ITG International Ice once time, and the other fun pull I remember best wasn't even worth anything really. It was a Bob Cole autograph from a single pack I bought on a run for toploaders. Fun times.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, there is something about pulling a good vintage player card. I pulled a sweet Mario 1/1 jersey from ITG International Ice once time, and the other fun pull I remember best wasn't even worth anything really. It was a Bob Cole autograph from a single pack I bought on a run for toploaders. Fun times.

I've never gotten a 1/1. Mario would be a good one to get! Bob Cole is neat too.

I had a personally autographed Brett Hull with the Moncton Golden Flames that I always liked. Also a few Gretzky error cards from the 80's with blank backs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I've never gotten a 1/1. Mario would be a good one to get! Bob Cole is neat too.

I had a personally autographed Brett Hull with the Moncton Golden Flames that I always liked. Also a few Gretzky error cards from the 80's with blank backs.

I never owned a card that I had personally autographed. Never met an NHL'er as a kid and as an adult only met players during work things and felt it was inappropriate for the most part. I did get Lanny McDonald to sign a golf ball for me once though at a golf tournament. I was working and he was a volunteer, my job was to take photos with each golf team and Lanny at the first hole. Tough gig. He let everyone put on his Stanley Cup ring too. Which was cool, but tough for me to do as an Oilers fan.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I never owned a card that I had personally autographed. Never met an NHL'er as a kid and as an adult only met players during work things and felt it was inappropriate for the most part. I did get Lanny McDonald to sign a golf ball for me once though at a golf tournament. I was working and he was a volunteer, my job was to take photos with each golf team and Lanny at the first hole. Tough gig. He let everyone put on his Stanley Cup ring too. Which was cool, but tough for me to do as an Oilers fan.

I think that's the only card auto I had. Had lots of other autographed papers. As a kid I used to attend AHL games and get seats by the bench. Strangely despite never living in an NHL city I have met a ton of players, often in weird places like bathrooms, gas stations or small local bars. Also played hockey in a rink shared with an AHL team. Like you I have also been lucky enough to wear a Cup ring as my brother in law (NHL scout for like 20 years) has one.

Favourite player encounter story. Was at a formal dance event at a hotel. Everyone pretty drunk and loud. Went to the washroom. Row of about 20 urinals. There was one guy down on the end, so following protocol went to the other end and never really looked at him. He starts talking to me asking what we're up to in there and I said "It's the Bushman's Ball". He says "Oh? I used to be a bush man myself!" to which I laughed. Being courteous, I asked "So what are you up to?" and he says "Oh I am just in town for the Old Timers hockey game". Despite being hammered, I immediately made the connection that he meant NHLers, at which point I finally looked up and made eye contact to see who I was talking to:

Dionne

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
That's one thing I always hate, when the jersey isn't from the team on the card.

If I get a Maple Leaf Borje Salming, not interested in a Red Wing jersey on the card.
The best is when this happens. I'll use Taylor Hall as an example although it didn't happen to him. Don't think it has happened in awhile.
Card will have Buffalo name and logo.
Picture of Hall will be in Coyotes jersey
Jersey will be from a Devils jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad