Hockey Cards - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Wtf... Such tiny error and it could destroy your dreams. How much in money will you say, is in this corner?
A card is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

The corner looks soft. Idk if it's extra paper or if it was smashed, I'm just going off the picture. There's discoloration which leads me to believe it's not extra paper but who knows, I'm not a grader.

The printing line thru the name is an issue, also, along with the discoloration on the left edge in the name block.

Now, as for "dreams", it depends on how much money he spent. If he pulled it from a blaster, he 100% doubled his money. If a hobby box, depending what else he pulled, he 100% doubled his money. Laff YG's currently are very plentiful. He should hold onto them, keep it ungraded, and hope the kid starts lighting it up and will still get a good return.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Whatever the difference between an 8/9 & 10 is. PSA and Beckett will place your card under a microscope and hunt for the tiniest of errors with the surface and corners. It is all a gamble. Some people get lower grades after using a terry cloth to wipe of fingerprints only to find it left a tiny surface scratch they could not see. Also depends on the grader. One issue raised with the graders, especially PSA, is lack of consistency. People will crack the shell and send the same card in and get a different grade and PSA has been embroiled in a grading scandal where they fail to detect cards that were proven to be altered.

This isn't true. I've graded about 700 cards now. The difference between an 8 and a 10 is quite visible. An 8 will have visible flaws to the naked eye, typically including at least one substantially dinged corner. BGSs 9.5s and PSA 10s will have very small white marks on the corners often as well.

There is some inconsistency, especially with older cards. That's often a case of having different kinds of flaws being graded subjectively. For example if you've got an OPC rough cut that is slightly off centre, how do you actually put that into numbers? It's all subjective up to a point.

I've actually started sending in my PSA 9s. Those are holding value now too. A year ago a PSA 9 was worth less than a raw card. Now it's worth considerably more.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A card is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

The corner looks soft. Idk if it's extra paper or if it was smashed, I'm just going off the picture. There's discoloration which leads me to believe it's not extra paper but who knows, I'm not a grader.

The printing line thru the name is an issue, also, along with the discoloration on the left edge in the name block.

Now, as for "dreams", it depends on how much money he spent. If he pulled it from a blaster, he 100% doubled his money. If a hobby box, depending what else he pulled, he 100% doubled his money. Laff YG's currently are very plentiful. He should hold onto them, keep it ungraded, and hope the kid starts lighting it up and will still get a good return.

This is what I tell people who try to convince me their cards from the 90's are worth hundreds or when someone asks me how much they should price a card on eBay.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
This isn't true. I've graded about 700 cards now. The difference between an 8 and a 10 is quite visible. An 8 will have visible flaws to the naked eye, typically including at least one substantially dinged corner. BGSs 9.5s and PSA 10s will have very small white marks on the corners often as well.

There is some inconsistency, especially with older cards. That's often a case of having different kinds of flaws being graded subjectively. For example if you've got an OPC rough cut that is slightly off centre, how do you actually put that into numbers? It's all subjective up to a point.

I've actually started sending in my PSA 9s. Those are holding value now too. A year ago a PSA 9 was worth less than a raw card. Now it's worth considerably more.
As someone with knowledge in grading, I have one question for you. Will ANYTHING from 20-21 Artifacts ever grade over an 8? I swear every single pull I have seen from that product has multiple visible flaws, it's awful.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Question for those heavily invested in the hobby/industry. As someone who was a huge collector as a child in the late 80s and early to mid 90s and kind of wants to get back into the hobby (now with my son in tow who is quite excited about his card collecting).

Are any of you collectors simply out there to obtain your favourite and/or the most unique and/or specific type of cards? In that you view them as more of a lifetime momento as opposed to an investment. Where grading and how much they are worth mean of little consequence to you.

I have at least 20K cards from back in the day. Sure, I'd grab a Beckett and see how much some of the good ones were valued, but that was more for curiosity than anything. I never thought of selling my cards. Now, many years later, and how much more specified cards have become (jerseys, autographs, letters, etc.), I don't think I'd be looking for volume or completing sets, and instead be looking to getting really good cards. Again, with the mindset, that I'd keep it forever than looking to make a quick buck on it.

Just curious where the hobby/industry stands these days. Back in the day cards became over-manufactured which saturated the market. But I know now that certain rare cards can and will fetch one a very pretty penny as well.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
This is what I tell people who try to convince me their cards from the 90's are worth hundreds or when someone asks me how much they should price a card on eBay.
I don't even bother any more.

When people ask me to buy their random collection, I just ask what years they collected and if I hear 90's I just offer 20 bucks without even looking at it unless it's basketball.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
As someone with knowledge in grading, I have one question for you. Will ANYTHING from 20-21 Artifacts ever grade over an 8? I swear every single pull I have seen from that product has multiple visible flaws, it's awful.

The thicker the card, generally the harder it is to grade. I wouldn't grade auto patch cards to begin with. The value of those cards is more about the quality of the patch.

But yeah, overall UD has some major quality control issues this year. It's pretty shameful. Their entire first wave of Young Guns all had rounded corners and turned in edges. I had to have 40 cards replaced. It's a joke.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Question for those heavily invested in the hobby/industry. As someone who was a huge collector as a child in the late 80s and early to mid 90s and kind of wants to get back into the hobby (now with my son in tow who is quite excited about his card collecting).

Are any of you collectors simply out there to obtain your favourite and/or the most unique and/or specific type of cards? In that you view them as more of a lifetime momento as opposed to an investment. Where grading and how much they are worth mean of little consequence to you.

I have at least 20K cards from back in the day. Sure, I'd grab a Beckett and see how much some of the good ones were valued, but that was more for curiosity than anything. I never thought of selling my cards. Now, many years later, and how much more specified cards have become (jerseys, autographs, letters, etc.), I don't think I'd be looking for volume or completing sets, and instead be looking to getting really good cards. Again, with the mindset, that I'd keep it forever than looking to make a quick buck on it.

Just curious where the hobby/industry stands these days. Back in the day cards became over-manufactured which saturated the market. But I know now that certain rare cards can and will fetch one a very pretty penny as well.

I have a huge Peter Forsberg collection dating back to 95. The majority of those cards are worth less than a Anthony Mantha Young Guns but I wouldn't trade/sell any of them. Too many stories/memories behind a lot of those cards. The 'quest' to obtain them back in the day is make them priceless. The long walks with your buds, bus rides and going to card shows lol good times.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The thicker the card, generally the harder it is to grade. I wouldn't grade auto patch cards to begin with. The value of those cards is more about the quality of the patch.

But year, overall UD has some major quality control issues this year. It's pretty shameful. Their entire first wave of Young Guns all had rounded corners and turned in edges. I had to have 40 cards replaced. It's a joke.
UD still hasn't gotten back to me about a shredded Vilardi. The whole upper right side looks a gerbil was chewing on it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

With the cost of boxes these days, you have to be somewhat aware of the value of cards. You could just buy whatever cards you want, but I don't find that all that fun. I'd prefer to rip boxes, sell the stuff I don't want for value, and amass a smaller collection of "PC" (personal collection cards) as I go along.

Edit: Entering group breaks is generally a pretty good way to collect a certain team. Right now it's a bit crazy what people are asking, but you can still find good value on some breaks. I managed to put together a pretty great Matthew Tkachuk rookie collection from group breaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
UD still hasn't gotten back to me about a shredded Vilardi. The whole upper right side looks a gerbil was chewing on it.

They will get back to you...just very very slowly. They are likely overwhelmed with dealing with the many issues from series 1. Basically, anyone who bought in the first wave is likely emailing them about major issues.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They will get back to you...just very very slowly. They are likely overwhelmed with dealing with the many issues from series 1. Basically, anyone who bought in the first wave is likely emailing them about major issues.
I thought last year was bad for quality control. This year even worst. I pulled a Bergeron DWTC last year that looked like someone keyed it. So annoyed but this Vilardi is as bad as ive seen a card look haha

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s pretty funny how my Martin St. Louis OPC Premier /5 paraller from 07-08 is worth less than random Young Guns from recent years, even tho they seem to be easier to hit now than ever before.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida

But yeah, overall UD has some major quality control issues this year. It's pretty shameful. Their entire first wave of Young Guns all had rounded corners and turned in edges. I had to have 40 cards replaced. It's a joke.
With Artifacts specifically this year, they went with the stupid foil on all the corners which seems like it gets dinged up during the assembly process before it even makes it into the pack, it's pathetic. Artifacts used to be one of my favorite products but one box was enough for me this year with the terrible quality control.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Talk to them via Twitter. I've never had an issue with UD and they follow me.

I pulled a McDavid Auto redemption from 15 Champs and got it in a couple weeks along with a couple random packs.

Now Topps on the other hand, I pulled the infamous Axl Rose autograph redemption and had a buyer lined up for 2k for a card that I think only five were made. They offered to give me a Lita Ford autographed as a replacement. I said no, so they offered me Kip Winger, I said I'd rather have Lita Ford.

Then six months later, I got Kip Winger.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Was just browsing eBay for cards with the most bids on them.

This is pretty funny, a Wayne Gretzky RC that someone drew a beard on, is still fetching over $400 USD with 72 bids and 2 days left:

NHL WAYNE GRETZKY EDMONTON OILERS 1979-80 O-P-C ROOKIE CARD #18 O-PEE-CHEE G.OAT | eBay

What the hell?

The seller description:

CARD HAS WRITING ON THE FACE, CORNERS ARE SOFT AND IS SOLD AS-IS. THIS IS A CHANCE TO OWN MR.GRETZKY'S ROOKIE CARD.
CARD IS GUARANTEED TO PASS ANY THIRD PARTY AUTHENTICATION SERVICE AS GENUINE AUTHENTIC.
SOME CONSIDER MR.GRETZKY TO BE THE G.O.A.T. IN THE MODERN ERA.

Yes "some" do consider Gretzky the greatest of all time...in the modern era. Not sure how he is the greatest of all time, but limited to the modern era? And some?

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Picked up another for the collection today. In my opinion Backstrom is one of those undervalued cards. Happy to have one

C93-DBD51-B2-B1-44-A0-AEA2-0-A6-F814-D036-E.jpg

YhKvj4tQ

jajpan

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I found these, not worth millions but
More than I paid back when I collected.
Is it best to send these to psa, get graded and then compare on eBay? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• E1BDD954-6F2B-497B-97B2-86BA4E8D0DD2.jpeg
    E1BDD954-6F2B-497B-97B2-86BA4E8D0DD2.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 17

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
I found these, not worth millions but
More than I paid back when I collected.
Is it best to send these to psa, get graded and then compare on eBay? Thanks in advance.
How many total in that Gretzky farm, good lord

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
It’s pretty funny how my Martin St. Louis OPC Premier /5 paraller from 07-08 is worth less than random Young Guns from recent years, even tho they seem to be easier to hit now than ever before.
I'll take a MSL numbered to 5 over this year's crop of YG's if that makes you feel better.

But honestly, YG's are getting more tougher to pull. Retail wise at least. Blasters would net three now it's two. That's a huge reason why this year's YG's are blowing up.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'll take a MSL numbered to 5 over this year's crop of YG's if that makes you feel better.

But honestly, YG's are getting more tougher to pull. Retail wise at least. Blasters would net three now it's two. That's a huge reason why this year's YG's are blowing up.
Tins used to be 3 guaranteed with a YG canvas sometimes. Now its 2 minimum no guarantee of 3. I bought a 07-08 Series 1 blaster last year before the craziness and pulled 1 YG...of Milan Lucic...and it was wrecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->