Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Nothing to do after a game like that but tip your hat to an incredible individual effort by Askarov. Hold your heads high boys, you dominated the whole tournament outside of the second period against Sweden. Russian fans, you guys have an absolute gem there. Great hockey game.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Unfortunate for Canada to run into a goaltender like this. This game wouldnt be close without him. Likely last international gold any of these russians will see poor group outside a few players and the goalie. This Canadian crop with Lafrenniere included is gonna be filled with NHL superstars for Canada. Future looks bright cant complain. Can't win them all they can settle for 9/10 in the past 10 years.

It is a putdown of Russia to say that the only reason they won was because of an extraterrestrial performance from the goalie (yet another "next Tretiak"). That's not the first time I've seen that argument from Canadian posters, and I think the intent is to backhandedly demean the other team. I don't see how the argument is justified. First, Russia was the only team to finish the tournament undefeated. Second, while Canada had some blowouts against the lesser foes, in the Medal Round, against two peers, Sweden and Russia, they only scored a grand total of 4 goals in 6 periods. Putting the puck in the net was a problem for Canada against top opposition. Like most (or all) Russians, I didn't see the game, but why couldn't you just say that it was another day at the office for the Russians?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It is a putdown of Russia to say that the only reason they won was because of an extraterrestrial performance from the goalie (yet another "next Tretiak"). That's not the first time I've seen that argument from Canadian posters, and I think the intent is to backhandedly demean the other team. I don't see how the argument is justified. First, Russia was the only team to finish the tournament undefeated. Second, while Canada had some blowouts against the lesser foes, in the Medal Round, against two peers, Sweden and Russia, they only scored a grand total of 4 goals in 6 periods. Putting the puck in the net was a problem for Canada against top opposition. Like most (or all) Russians, I didn't see the game, but why couldn't you just say that it was another day at the office for the Russians?

You just admitted you didn’t see the game in the last sentence.

Why be offended if you didn’t actually see how phenomenal of a performance Askarov put on?

It was Tretiak like.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Because the shots were 37-13, the high danger chances were, if anything, more imbalanced, and Canada’s puck possession was likely double that of their opponent. Maybe that was your team’s strategy, but I doubt it.

Reactions: snipes

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Some posters don't want to do it because most Russian posters on here typically won't ever give Credit to Canada and their good performances when they win , they are always making up excuse and blaming conspiracies or some other hogwash and demeaning Canadas wins against them all the time.

You get what you give. Have you ever considered trying to be a reasonable game observer and giving congrats when you lose? I think you would quickly notice an about face from those fans you complain about.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Some posters don't want to do it because most Russian posters on here typically won't ever give Credit to Canada and their good performances when they win , they are always making up excuse and blaming conspiracies or some other hogwash and demeaning Canadas wins against them all the time.

You get what you give. Have you ever considered trying to be a reasonable game observer and giving congrats when you lose? I think you would quickly notice an about face from those fans you complain about.

“I didn’t see the game” was in the last sentence of that post you quoted.

I mean, how can you discuss the game if you didn’t actually see it?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

I watched parts of the game and I kind of agree here. Askarov was obviously good but Russia definitely played well. Shots will always get lopsided when one team is a goal down for an entire game. The Canadians were not particularly sharp when they got their chances and they wasted plenty of PP opportunities.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
“I didn’t see the game”.

I mean, how can you discuss the game if you didn’t actually see it?
True, but it's still beside the point. Here we have a poster who is notoriously known for badmouthing anything Canadian hockey (along with 2 other Russian posters who make up the terrible trio among their fans here) and yet he is irked when fans won't worship and give laurels to the Russians play.

Those type of people I simply don't understand, their thinking is just bizarre.

Why don't they clean up their own act and then have an honourable place to stand on when they get irked over these things? You can't lecture someone on behaviour you are grossly guilty of yourself. He doesn't seem to get that. But it's not even that, he gets it all right, he isn't a stupid person, I can tell that by his writing. He just doesn't care, plain and simple, the hate is too strong.

Never a pretty thing to look upon in anyone.

NekcuP

Aug 9, 2019
Ice hockey is not just about attacks, the defense is at least as big as the attacks.
Canada was better on the offensive side this time, while Russia was better on the defensive, small margins deciding, but this time the defensive decided more.

As in the semi-final between Can-Swe, that time it was the offensive part that decided, now it was the other way around.

That's the great thing about ice hockey, I think, just because you have a takeover game you don't automatically win, just because you're hard pressed you don't automatically lose.

Reactions: Mysteric1000

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You just admitted you didn’t see the game in the last sentence.

Why be offended if you didn’t actually see how phenomenal of a performance Askarov put on?

It was Tretiak like.

I have said on occasion that I thought Russia vastly outplayed their opponent but still lost - I said it about the Semi-Final game of this tournament last year when they were upset by Sweden after, by your standards of measure, thoroughly dominating them. Sweden often chooses not to bring their top age-group players to this tournament, so I wouldn't insult them by saying that their victory was the result of one individual player. They lost handily to Canada in the GMG, and I said at that time that Canada was lucky that they didn't have to face a much better Russian team - as the events of today clearly explain!

Shots on goal is a neutral statistic that addresses only quantity, not quality! You can have 37 shots, but if 20 of them are from beyond center-ice, the difficulty of making saves becomes greatly reduced. And there were apparent Canadian posters in this thread who said that many of the shots were not high quality or threatening, and that overall, they were disappointed with Canada's intensity. You can't have it both ways!

Reactions: Fantomas

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Russia got dominated.

The goalie stood on his head.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I have said on occasion that I thought Russia vastly outplayed their opponent but still lost - I said it about the Semi-Final game of this tournament last year when they were upset by Sweden after, by your standards of measure, thoroughly dominating them. Sweden often chooses not to bring their top age-group players to this tournament, so I wouldn't insult them by saying that their victory was the result of one individual player. They lost handily to Canada in the GMG, and I said at that time that Canada was lucky that they didn't have to face a much better Russian team - as the events of today clearly explain!

Shots on goal is a neutral statistic that addresses only quantity, not quality! You can have 37 shots, but if 20 of them are from beyond center-ice, the difficulty of making saves becomes greatly reduced. And there were apparent Canadian posters in this thread who said that many of the shots were not high quality or threatening, and that overall, they were disappointed with Canada's intensity. You can't have it both ways!

Ehh

Congratulations on the victory. We shall meet again old foe.

It was a fantastic hockey game as most Canada v Russia games are. Respect to the way both teams battled with everything they had.

Looking forward to the annual Super Series next. Once again congratulations on the win.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Because the shots were 37-13, the high danger chances were, if anything, more imbalanced, and Canada’s puck possession was likely double that of their opponent. Maybe that was your team’s strategy, but I doubt it.

Its a difference of styles. Canadian hockey had never placed much emphasis on stickhandling and passing to get into prime scoring position, as do the Russians. Canadian hockey blasts the puck into the zone, typically just inside the red-line, and forechecks intensively. You are going to get more shots on goal if you just blindly blast away, but they are going to be mostly low quality shots from outside the danger zone. I assume that is what happened today. In the Gold Medal Game today, with 55 minutes already played, Canada had only scored one goal!

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Sounds like it was a Swedish beat down of the Finns.

How did Raty and Lambert play for Suomi?
Finland looked tired today thought sweden would lose since we played two penaltyshootout in a row.

Also i havent seen any finnish posters in here. They all gone.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You may doubt whatever you want, but this russian team has defeated USA, Sweden, Finland and Canada along the way. Yes, not all those teams had their best talent there, but who cares. Canada squeezed out a SO win against Sweden(without it's two top players) and lost to Russia. But the talk is about that mediocre russian team of nobodies who would have lost by double digits of not for Askarov. That's a not well hidden canadian bitterness and overconfidence and borderline arrogance from some posters.

Every game Canada loses they "dominated". Yawn...

Reactions: Fantomas

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You may doubt whatever you want, but this russian team has defeated USA, Sweden, Finland and Canada along the way. Yes, not all those teams had their best talent there, but who cares. Canada squeezed out a SO win against Sweden(without it's two top players) and lost to Russia. But the talk is about that mediocre russian team of nobodies who would have lost by double digits of not for Askarov. That's a not well hidden canadian bitterness and overconfidence and borderline arrogance from some posters.

Every game Canada loses they "dominated". Yawn...

Who said Russia would have lost by double digits but for Askarov?

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Congrats to Russia. Cannot help but wonder why Jacob Perrault was not good enough to make this Canadian team despite a strong camp. A move that backfired. Unbelievable performance from Askarov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad