Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It is always odd to me how people take opposing fans complimenting the other teams goalie as a slight or an insult. Goaltending is a pretty big part of hockey and having a better goalie is an entirely legitimate way to win a game....Canada carried possession and had more scoring chances. Those are facts. Russia's goalie had an amazing game and tournament. Nothing to get your back up over or whine about. If Canada had better goaltending then they would have won.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don’t recall reading a single poster say Canada would beat Russia by double digits. That simply never happened.

If you think Canadians don’t respect Russia when it comes to hockey, you’re sadly mistaken.

Russia/USSR have always been our greatest adversary. I don’t know a single Canadian who goes into any game against the Russians dismissing them.

My point is that Canadian fans love to dish out backhanded compliments every time they lose. This happens even when they're not consciously trying to be poor sports. I see it all the time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My point is that Canadian fans love to dish out backhanded compliments every time they lose. This happens even when they're not consciously trying to be poor sports. I see it all the time.

Sure, if that’s the way you see it.

Congratulations again on the win.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sure, if that’s the way you see it.

You know, there are two ways to react to criticism. One is to learn from it and acknowledge that one will do so. Another is to reaffirm that one is right, that the criticism is wrong, and - in some cases - to say so in the most pseudo-polite way possible.

When Canadian posters say that it's "unfortunate for Canada to run into a goaltender like this" and "this game wouldnt be close without him," maybe it's reasonable for Russians posters to recoil a little bit.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
When Canadian posters say that it's "unfortunate for Canada to run into a goaltender like this" and "this game wouldnt be close without him," maybe it's reasonable for Russians posters to recoil a little bit.
Sounds like an overreaction to me. I find it more fun that all the Finns disappeared from this thread fast.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Canada needed more from Byfield and Foudy. Perfetti and Lapierre have shown they can play on big ice and lead Canada. They deserved top minutes. I feel like the coach felt obligated to give Byfield ice-time because of his ranking and the TSN presence. This is the first time that all the kids from all 3 regions of the country play together on this team.

Rochette and McClennon should be given equal opportunity as Byfield and they weren't. They played on the 4th line or 13th forward, I think Hockey Canada needs to reevaluate who they have selecting this team and making sure no bias is involved. I'm not sure what Byfield did to deserve #2 center, or what he did to maintain it during the tournament. He was out performed by Canadian peers at the U17s as well, I don't put any blame on Byfield. The coach/management need to be quicker to adjust, Pat Quinn wasn't afraid to bench players or switch the lines, that won us gold in 2009. You would think somebody in that corporation would take a note.

Reactions: kudla

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It is a putdown of Russia to say that the only reason they won was because of an extraterrestrial performance from the goalie (yet another "next Tretiak"). That's not the first time I've seen that argument from Canadian posters, and I think the intent is to backhandedly demean the other team. I don't see how the argument is justified. First, Russia was the only team to finish the tournament undefeated. Second, while Canada had some blowouts against the lesser foes, in the Medal Round, against two peers, Sweden and Russia, they only scored a grand total of 4 goals in 6 periods. Putting the puck in the net was a problem for Canada against top opposition. Like most (or all) Russians, I didn't see the game, but why couldn't you just say that it was another day at the office for the Russians?

In almost every game that I have seen where one team out shoots the other team by a 3 to 1 ratio and loses it's because of the goalie and/or bad luck but perhaps your experience of those games are different?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

It beats denying that you cared about the tournament in the first place when you lose like a certain international rival whose name I will not mention.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In almost every game that I have seen where one team out shoots the other team by a 3 to 1 ratio and loses it's because of the goalie and/or bad luck but perhaps your experience of those games are different?

Teams love to hold on their score advantage, even NHL ones do it all the time. Russian team scored an early goal and started to play cautios, trying to beat Canadians with counterattacks. Of course, Canada had more shots on goal, than Russia. Our team turtled especially hard, when the score became 3-1, and Canadians widened their shots-on-goal advantage even more, they even scored a goal, which gave them a huge moral boost, so they started to push for another goal even harder. It was a tactical moment and not because Canada outplayed Russia.

I can't say, I love such a tactics, but it's a different topic.

Reactions: Ryuk

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Canada needed more from Byfield and Foudy. Perfetti and Lapierre have shown they can play on big ice and lead Canada. They deserved top minutes. I feel like the coach felt obligated to give Byfield ice-time because of his ranking and the TSN presence. This is the first time that all the kids from all 3 regions of the country play together on this team.

Rochette and McClennon should be given equal opportunity as Byfield and they weren't. They played on the 4th line or 13th forward, I think Hockey Canada needs to reevaluate who they have selecting this team and making sure no bias is involved. I'm not sure what Byfield did to deserve #2 center, or what he did to maintain it during the tournament. He was out performed by Canadian peers at the U17s as well, I don't put any blame on Byfield. The coach/management need to be quicker to adjust, Pat Quinn wasn't afraid to bench players or switch the lines, that won us gold in 2009. You would think somebody in that corporation would take a note.

I taught it was an odd move that his only move in the 3rd period to score some goal was to separete the two best player they had all tournament. If you want to help Byfield so much, why not just put him on the wings of Lapierre-Perfetti?

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Congratulations to Russia, Canada and Sweden! Great tournament as always! And yes, looks like Askarov is the real deal.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I don’t recall reading a single poster say Canada would beat Russia by double digits. That simply never happened.

If you think Canadians don’t respect Russia when it comes to hockey, you’re sadly mistaken.

Russia/USSR have always been our greatest adversary. I don’t know a single Canadian who goes into any game against the Russians dismissing them.

Canadian media is different thought. You people are stuck in the cold war and continue to propagate this ridiculous 'good guys vs bad guys' undertone for every Russia game; even for pimply U18 teenagers. It's kinda pathetic. If you lose, typical reporting will encompass backhanded complements to Russia; and/or your media will resort to the 'classless Russian' shtick (see Kovalchuk, Kuznetsov, Slepyshev, Kostin, etc. etc ).

On the contrary, when our guys lose, our the media lets us know we get our asses kicked. No excuses.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canadian media is different thought. You people are stuck in the cold war and continue to propagate this ridiculous 'good guys vs bad guys' undertone for every Russia game; even for pimply U18 teenagers. It's kinda pathetic. If you lose, typical reporting will encompass backhanded complements to Russia; and/or your media will resort to the 'classless Russian' shtick (see Kovalchuk, Kuznetsov, Slepyshev, Kostin, etc. etc ).

On the contrary, when our guys lose, our the media lets us know we get our asses kicked. No excuses.
It is really cute that you think our media isn't hard on our guys. I needed a good laugh early in the morning.

Reactions: Dominance

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Nobody believes that jibberish. or should I refer you to the Russian national media headlines after the Vancouver debacle. Send the Canadians to Doping Control. and the commentary from there highlighted Bryzgolov's infamous quote. "Canadians were like gorillas released from their cages". Was that an example of a backhanded compliment or was it a compliment masquerading as an insult? It wasn't Canadians played well and deserved the win. It was doping, NHL officiating and a whole litany of other excuses for Vancouver....and yes somewhere way down the long list of excuses, yes, Sbornaja played like crap.

So, don't give us any of that sanctimonious nonsense about the honor and professionalism of the Russian media. because they are none of those things.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I still can’t fathom how Canada left Jacob Perreault off its roster. More than any other nation, at u-20 levels Canada consistently overthinks player selection. Way too much emphasis on previous history with Hockey Canada, top 6-bottom 6, age, handedness, etc (not to mention other foolishness like having “graduated” a player from u-18 because they’ve played u-20) instead of taking the most talented roster.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I still can’t fathom how Canada left Jacob Perreault off it’s roster. More than any other nation, at u-20 levels Canada consistently overthinks player selection. Way too much emphasis on previous history with Hockey Canada, top 6-bottom 6, age, handedness, etc (not to mention other foolishness like having “graduated” a player from u-18 because they’ve played u-20) instead of taking the most talented roster.

yeah, that surprised me as well. and yes, Hockey Canada has a long history of overthinking roster selections. and that's because all those at Hockey Canada, unless you hold Renney's title, have egos and career ambitions that go far beyond Hockey Canada and scouring junior rinks in the hinterland doing player evaluations. If it's something just your average HF poster of high school age can do, well, that sort of undercuts their job status. So, this what we get.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Sounds like an overreaction to me. I find it more fun that all the Finns disappeared from this thread fast.
These kind of posts sucks. Most Finns doesn't care about this tournament and those who care probably are just quiet because we don't play well enough.

You like to be a big pain in the ass for Finns. Thank god not every Swede is like that. Some can enjoy their success without trashing us.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Thats not what I saw before and during groupstage.
If you ask any random Finn about this tournament they most likely don't know about it. On this board some care as long as we are successful, if we lose we stop pretending to care by saying "meh it isn't an important tournament anyway". I am like that. :laugh:

I followed the game against Sweden on boxscore and thought "this sucks" and "vittu".

Congrats anyway to you guys, good to get the hockey season begin almost as good as possible. Medal is a medal.

Reactions: Mysteric1000

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thats not what I saw before and during groupstage.
Uh really? It's seriously not an important tournament in Finland. It didn't even get a thread on Jatkoaika. No news were written on it. Also, I at least didn't figure out how to watch Finland play in playoffs at all, so tough to comment on games I didn't see. I don't know about others but for me, I'm mostly interested in how top prospects do here.

I think the only time I've really seen Hlinka mentioned anywhere in Finland is when Laine got sent home.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Uh really? It's seriously not an important tournament in Finland. It didn't even get a thread on Jatkoaika. No news were written on it. Also, I at least didn't figure out how to watch Finland play in playoffs at all, so tough to comment on games I didn't see. I don't know about others but for me, I'm mostly interested in how top prospects do here.

I think the only time I've really seen Hlinka mentioned anywhere in Finland is when Laine got sent home.
True, this is a way bigger event in Canada than in Finland.

NekcuP

Aug 9, 2019
These kind of posts sucks. Most Finns doesn't care about this tournament and those who care probably are just quiet because we don't play well enough.

You like to be a big pain in the ass for Finns. Thank god not every Swede is like that. Some can enjoy their success without trashing us.

Cmon dude! When you win you do exactly the same thing yourself, Finns are good at sprinkling salt in the wounds too!
Take, for example, the last quarterfinal of the World Championship, where you mocked us as hell after the victory!

Both are equally crap, neither is better than the other when it comes to the crayon!

Reactions: Star Ocean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad