Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Couldn't watch the game but I was rather surprised it went to a shootout, figured Canada would have put this away in regulation.

But I was far more surprised to see we actually won the shootout, we haven't had any luck in those things in ages now.

And as always for the record from me............................shootouts in play down games are bullshit. They should be done away with. I will continue to say this each and every time whether my team wins or loses until they do away with them for good.

Reactions: Dominance

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Couldn't watch the game but I was rather surprised it went to a shootout, figured Canada would have put this away in regulation.

But I was far more surprised to see we actually won the shootout, we haven't had any luck in those things in ages now.

And as always for the record from me............................shootouts in play down games are bull****. They should be done away with. I will continue to say this each and every time whether my team wins or loses until they do away with them.

It was an excellent hockey game.

We doubled the Swedes in shots I think it was 41-23 or something like that. Their goalie stood on his head.

The Swedes also battled hard and competed for every inch of ice.

Now it’s on to our biggest historical hockey rivalry. It’s Canada v Russia for Gold. No other nation, not even the Yanks, I’d rather play with everything on the line than the Russians.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It was an excellent hockey game.

We doubled the Swedes in shots I think it was 41-23 or something like that. Their goalie stood on his head.

The Swedes also battled hard and competed for every inch of ice.

Now it’s on to our biggest historical hockey rivalry. It’s Canada v Russia for Gold. No other nation, not even the Yanks, I’d rather play with everything on the line than the Russians.
Thanks for the quick recap.

Yeah, Russia-Canada is always special and will always be the most special championship game to me when they meet.

Fans from my generation will always feel that way. U.S - Canada is number 2.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks for the quick recap.

Yeah, Russia-Canada is always special and will always be the most special championship game to me when they meet.

Fans from my generation will always feel that way. U.S - Canada is number 2.

I don’t care if it’s a bunch of old men playing street hockey in a parking lot, if it’s Canada v Russia — it’s on.

The Russians/Soviets have been the closest to being our equals, even though we unquestionably won out when it was our best vs. their best, they’ve pushed us more than any other nation.

Canada v Russia will always be special, at any level. We both generally bring out the best in each other.

Reactions: lilidk and jj cale

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Couldn't have been more disappointed about losing against the Russians. It seemed as if our old Achilles' heel came back, wounded and haunting. There were chances to take the lead in the game but instead we had guys like Juuso Mäenpää who couldn't score to an empty net by a perfect setup from Lambert and that was just one out of those scoring chances. At the same time there were several defensive collapses. Absolutely frustrating. Using Lambert in the second powerplay unit was a bad idea in the begin with. Yeah providing secondary scoring is nice, but you DO put your best goal scorers in the first unit and give them more time on the ice.

Even though we're meeting out bittersweet companion Sweden in the bronze game, I'm not even sure if I feel like watching the game (especially via yet another s*** stream). Although Finland probably would've been crushed again against the Canada, there's always the chance in hockey and unexpected outcomes occur everyday. Would have been nice to be in the finals for once in this tournament.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I don’t care if it’s a bunch of old men playing street hockey in a parking lot, if it’s Canada v Russia — it’s on.

The Russians/Soviets have been the closest to being our equals, even though we unquestionably won out when it was our best vs. their best, they’ve pushed us more than any other nation.

Canada v Russia will always be special, at any level. We both generally bring out the best in each other.

These seem to be the best 2 teams at the tourney and should be a good/great game, but for me the Canada-Russia rivalry is over. tournament after tournament, the best hockey game is between Canada v USA. I'll take that game over all others.

Reactions: lilidk

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
These seem to be the best 2 teams at the tourney and should be a good/great game, but for me the Canada-Russia rivalry is over. tournament after tournament, the best hockey game is between Canada v USA. I'll take that game over all others.
LOL

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Clang to start between the pipes for Sweden, Wallstedt has played 3 games in 4 days & it's only bronze medal so makes sense.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This Askarov kid could be a problem today, I would drive the net and crowd his space, make life difficult for him as much as possible, get in his face.

Lots of traffic and pucks on net, we need to make life difficult for him.

We’ll need our absolute best effort today, play the Canadian way.

Two best teams playing for Gold.

Also, it’s Canada v Russia and it doesn’t get any better than that.

Reactions: jj cale

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
This Russian team isn't very good. I expect it to be Canada vs. Askarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad