Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Cole Perfetti just went to #3 on my draft list. Lafreniere Byfield Perfetti.

hate shootouts. terrible way to decide a medal game. any game for that matter.

but oh well.

Reactions: Dominance

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

but oh well.

Raymond and Holtz are country miles ahead of Byfield and better than Perfetti. Anton Lundell and Noel Gunler are possibly better too too.

Reactions: felixpettersson

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Exceptional game by Sweden vs a super skilled Canadian team. Defensive play was overall very good and the puck skills of the Swedish d stood out. Wallstedt showed why he is first round material in 2021. Offensively Sweden could have used their two missing stars, but I was impressed how they were able to dictate the play in the mid-period. Overall, Canada was obviously the better team

The final should be a treat to watch with two very skilled teams.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Excellent analysis. Well thought out.

Want to hear my reasoning? Raymond is by far the most complete player, and the best of them all at almost everything. He is the best skater, most skilled, the hardest worker, best forchecker, best defensive player, most creative and best passer by a mile. Gunler Holtz and Raymond have had unparralelled historic seasons in Swedish juniors, which can’t beat said for Byfield and Perfetti. Lundell had extremely impressive Liiga production and was an important player in the Liiga. Byfield doesn’t have close to the skill, shot, hands or passing of Holtz or Raymond, and is less skilled than Perfetti and Gunler. I don’t see any standout, elite, tools in Byfield to rival the ones that Holtz, Raymond or Perfetti have.

Just looking at production, Byfields isn’t that great at all, not worthy of a top 10 pick so far. Don't get me wrong, he is clearly a top 1o or maybe even top 5 pick, simply looking at production he isn't one. He needs to score more to be a top 5 pick in such a good draft. He is very good, but overrated because of size. He isn’t close to as dynamic as the other offensive stars this year. He is a 200 foot player, but Lundell and Raymond are better than him there too.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Want to hear my reasoning? Raymond is by far the most complete player, and the best of them all at almost everything. He is the best skater, most skilled, the hardest worker, best forchecker, best defensive player, most creative and best passer by a mile. Gunler Holtz and Raymond have had unparralelled historic seasons in Swedish juniors, which can’t beat said for Byfield and Perfetti. Lundell had extremely impressive Liiga production and was an important player in the Liiga. Byfield doesn’t have close to the skill, shot, hands or passing of Holtz or Raymond, and is less skilled than Perfetti and Gunler. I don’t see any standout, elite, tools in Byfield to rival the ones that Holtz, Raymond or Perfetti have.

Just looking at production, Byfields isn’t that great at all, not worthy of a top 10 pick so far. He is very good, but overrated because of size. He isn’t close to as dynamic as the other offensive stars this year. He is a 200 foot player, but Lundell and Raymond are better than him there too.

Byfield not worthy of a top 10 pick? Yikes.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Just looking at production, Byfields isn’t that great at all, not worthy of a top 10 pick so far. He is very good, but overrated because of size. He isn’t close to as dynamic as the other offensive stars this year. He is a 200 foot player, but Lundell and Raymond are better than him there too.

No.

that's all that needs to be said.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Byfield not worthy of a top 10 pick? Yikes.

Byfield is a top 10 pick for sure but production wise he isn't. I would have him in the top 5 but that is not because of production...

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Man Perfetti... he certainly put on a show for Canada today. I love Byfield skating for someone his size and his elite puck control.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

but oh well.
Agreed about shootouts. But I'm curious how you arrive at that top 3, since the reasons why someone might have Byfield at 2 (pure physical potential) would also lead one to drop Perfetti further in the rankings (smallish, average skater).

If anything, I think this tourney hurt Byfield a little. He's been good, but against players in his age group, with many top players missing, he should be great. Perfetti should see a nice bump, but I'm wary of putting him above players that already excelled at the Hlinka a year earlier, against older players.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Just looking at production, Byfields isn’t that great at all, not worthy of a top 10 pick so far. Don't get me wrong, he is clearly a top 1o or maybe even top 5 pick, simply looking at production he isn't one. He needs to score more to be a top 5 pick in such a good draft. He is very good, but overrated because of size. He isn’t close to as dynamic as the other offensive stars this year. He is a 200 foot player, but Lundell and Raymond are better than him there too.
You seem very objective on the matter.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

but oh well.
I would not do such a thing based on Hlinka. It happens every year that a player gets rated way too high due to Hlinka, like with Kupari and with Podkolzin.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You seem very objective on the matter.

Maybe not, admittedly, but I am tired of people calling Byfield a challenger for first overall literally only based on the fact that he is big and can skate. He doesn't have close the skill or offensive ability of the rest of the projected top 5 or so.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Byfield is a top 10 pick for sure but production wise he isn't. I would have him in the top 5 but that is not because of production...

I do share your opinion that Byfield should produce more.

His production doesn’t match the eye test for how dominant of a player he is on the ice.

He seems like a pass first elite playmaker, I would like to see him shoot more though.

Having said that, he is without question a top 3 prospect in this draft. His size, speed, skill, puck control, and 200 foot game don’t come along often. Byfield is a guy you win with as he can play in every situation.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Maybe not, admittedly, but I am tired of people calling Byfield a challenger for first overall literally only based on the fact that he is big and can skate. He doesn't have close the skill or offensive ability of the rest of the projected top 5 or so.

See you litterally prove here that you don't even watch players you talk on. Byfield is a lock for top 3. Newsflash for you. Sweden isnt the only country in the world.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I do share your opinion that Byfield should produce more.

His production doesn’t match the eye test for how dominant of a player he is on the ice.

He seems like a pass first elite playmaker, I would like to see him shoot more though.

Having said that, he is without question a top 3 prospect in this draft. His size, speed, skill, puck control, and 200 foot game don’t come along often. Byfield is a guy you win with as he can play in every situation.

In any other draft he would be. Not this year though, there are plenty of guys with more skill, puck control and a better 200 foot game ( like Lundell, Raymond). His size make people overrate him massively, and I don't even think he uses his size to his advantage as much as he should. Sure, he can develop that, but looking at his offensive skill he isn't slightly worse than Lafreniere, Perfetti, Raymond, Holtz and Gunler, he is lightyears away. Not even close. Hendrix Lapierre and Jaime Drysdale has impressed me a lot more than Byfield this tournament too, from what I have seen of Canadas games.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
See you litterally prove here that you don't even watch players you talk on. Byfield is a lock for top 3. Newsflash for you. Sweden isnt the only country in the world.
I compared him to Lafreniere, Perfetti, Lapierre and Lundell too. Are they swedish? It has nothing to do with bias.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Byfield, Lafeniere, Perfetti who are these scrubs? Theyre not Swedish so they can't be skilled and they are overrated. AB13 logic ladies and gentleman!

I literally called Perfetti and Lafreneire extremely skilled read my comment again!

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It is easier to look like a competitive team on big ice, but something has to be said for Perfetti being the only Canadian to beat Sweden. I think they will look better against a team that isn't playing a collapsing trap defence like Russia because it opens up room for their individual skill to take over.

Byfield could probably step up, guys like Dach, Hall, Reinhart and MacKinnon performed well at these tournaments as potential top 3 picks. He hasn't done that yet, Perfetti has been that guy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It is easier to look like a competitive team on big ice, but something has to be said for Perfetti being the only Canadian to beat Sweden. I think they will look better against a team that isn't playing a collapsing trap defence like Russia because it opens up room for their individual skill to take over.

Some credit is due to Wallstedt as well. He was outstanding and made 10 bell save after 10 bell save.

Canada easily could have had 3 or 4 more goals.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Man I wish TSN was broadcasting the Bronze game tomorrow.

Tensions are high already lol.

Reactions: AB13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad