OT: Hi, my name is...

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
My nickname is Whaleliam because of a tattoo on my left arm. I'm approaching 25. Got interested in hockey during the 2002 Olympics though didn't watch any playoffs until the playoffs that year. Mats Sundin was my first ever favourite player as the west games always ended after my bed time. I was living in Kamloops at the time and when the following season began I discovered Vancouver had a team and that their captain and I shared the same birthday, was pretty much the coolest thing in the world to me at that age. I will always love Nazzy and him and Sundin ensured I'll always have a soft spot for Swedes (Sedins certainly didn't hurt that either). Moved to Calgary shortly after but have always remained loyal to the Canucks. Never had much of a rivalry with friends here, we all pretty much cheer on each others teams when they're not playing eachother. On that note, I find it very hard to dislike teams. I have a hard time actively cheering against teams unless I have a 'hockey' reason (trying to make playoffs etc). The exception is Boston who I think I will always despise. Was always cool with Chicago but **** Duncan Keith. I was convinced that Nikolaj Ehlers was the 3rd best player in his draft and was literally screaming at my tv for the Canucks to pick him. I forever feel personally attacked by the Virtanen choice. Oddly enough wasn't exceptionally upset with Juelovi over Tkachuk, though I didn't really like either at the draft.

Spent the last 6 years working two jobs to fund my biggest love: travel. Hit Antarctica a couple years ago which was my last Continent and biggest dream come true (its the most beautiful place on the planet and no one will ever convince me otherwise). I'll cross the 40 country plateau in August before heading back to Uni in the fall. Most of my travel has taken place in the winter months as I like to spend my summers in the Rockies. I'm also obsessed with maps and geography. My daily internet routine during the season is to check the Utica Comets thread (shout out to all the incredible posters there) and then do random geography quizzes...

How is living in Iceland?? Did you do Nyiragongo in the Congo? I keep myself up to date on all the news effecting the Congo after my visit in 2016. Just a piece of magic on Earth and I lament that areas tragic history. I hope one day more people will know what a treasure that part of the world is and be able to safely visit and that the locals prosper.

I'd be fascinated to hear all about Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan. I'm off to Iran in August but Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan were my other considerations. I would love to pick your brain about the logistics of Mongolia and your experience after!

Yeah, absolutely, drop me a line - in December. :)

No, I never got to Nyiragongo. I was only in in the Congo for a couple of hours - I was hiking in Mgahinga National Park in Uganda, and we climbed a volcano where Rwanda, DRC, and Uganda meet - so I walked along the ridge into the DRC for awhile. Much the same, though I did hear distant gunfire. :/

Iceland is ... well. I could talk forever, but to sum it up, windy. And expensive. And insanely beautiful. You certainly appreciate trees a lot more after a year and a half without them. It's a fascinating country but the language is an absolute ball buster. The Icelandic education system is fantastic, though, and most people speak fluent english and danish as well as Icelandic. Let me know if you have any specific inquiries.

How was Antarctica? I've recently been hired on with a luxury cruise company that does small ship excursions to remote places, so I'm hoping to get to Antarctica soon!

Id stear CLEAR of Iran if i was you. There a terrorist country and hate westerners

You are wrong.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Hi everyone, just realized there was this thread. Grub here, don't need to know my name..

I'm 27 now... joined these boards when I was a young munchkin back in High School. I lived in Port Coquitlam all my live until I graduated from SFU in 2012. Got a good opportunity to work in Singapore for a consulting company and moved there in 2013, needed a change of scenery after 22 years of peaceful Canadian living.

That's why I'm usually the random guy that posts at 2 AM. Just realized this is 3 AM in Vancouver now... it's only 6 PM here :)

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hi everyone, just realized there was this thread. Grub here, don't need to know my name..

I'm 27 now... joined these boards when I was a young munchkin back in High School. I lived in Port Coquitlam all my live until I graduated from SFU in 2012. Got a good opportunity to work in Singapore for a consulting company and moved there in 2013, needed a change of scenery after 22 years of peaceful Canadian living.

That's why I'm usually the random guy that posts at 2 AM. Just realized this is 3 AM in Vancouver now... it's only 6 PM here :)
I've been seeing your avatar here for nearly 10 years now I think. :laugh:

Reactions: Grub

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Were you a PuckMunchkin?!

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I've been seeing your avatar here for nearly 10 years now I think. :laugh:

Haha, I still remember making it at computer class with paint... how time flies :D

I still remember your camel avatar as well... or was it a camel, hopefully my memory is still good.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

How do you like Singapore? I got to visit last year and was struck by some of the similarities to Vancouver, but also fascinated by what seemed to me to be a high level of social control. Also amazed by the incredibly inexpensive, yet mind-blowing cuisine, especially from the hawkers.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Haha, I still remember making it at computer class with paint... how time flies :D

I still remember your camel avatar as well... or was it a camel, hopefully my memory is still good.
:laugh: Close - Moose.

BhY3B6qDo00qQdbLNgLHQxdCYBHw2YGvfh9TaEvvfuv04ifqW7-u0ALTAF0yg4rusoR7Ea5LpDzCwc7Ih9oe6FyNItNbYggJGn425huDV-o61zBCBfLKyQpwZjPee-TJbLHs3NAePU1kkMjbH_9I8dYnOPvaSOc4zOEs3UNw63H-yksidA5TVN95xpgZvJbQh9IVaGTIlYgS1AFvAa8fcrZbsrvfHJmZZpYuVJSLCLjwdJz3QWl6CANwOOvhorAYiONvcxMzaPusLqGuISDAdJkHRKl2S0ee7atv9NA72pcU3qFEJkkwgQECPvR-ZHBSNazIrFxjxg4CK8riTTK3VY3WnYfoW3r9fe-o_meD3Yh5HTB7DtFIeWEKZG1xNG8W5kZoslxHRxC3tEZ5qpS4albeQKZDngqnG1g7ujoo0R0zOsQa5AOPUeUHLiDawnwMDtVRH7GRUqrT2q4iWm9thX-RrGYcEOuAwFr1KELGGbtBk7tOaD3KgC8tqQfSbP-OKmB4FN3eBEGLEhLB5tXK3Hl4KFvlkbXLOkWhLvSada5S-X-rP42UaDLJ8uqepeY0eqSdsBfL0iU590xjwmf5zLHopjlditVXyY7CipQ=w187-h287-no
3c2tEnLgIWDEpdJHB05kWN0fjCiImNgkaP8gbDCywsWAfK0IYJzqLGC25FLwoCUPRLqwY5cCup3Gz3NFzNWsUON0Gxsxc9Qy6PEVuDhqmb1bhGhMDL6BZz8QglfskGmpOwMdC18NQQpi8MLNCYBrNxz_IWyb5Uv2Deh0QMFBitU9Ptdlphes6kww-QSCzVlZxl4fGr27p_Co7ug4V90Lf5FuYhOhv1tf6_fWm1_QzMCiGv6Mr01Wu5iqTgF_lUmCP9YDq4JDTot8TT05rGgY6kvhv6JtI9xRmnalWpx_mp5hgvVBFDRpxt9g3Tro7UoOOToPJq9Tu1F0iRnFfx7H0rXOFZHFALVoYnU674m2-4sIM3DpOUM4sZFPkRv7Fb8daQCY-Gbtg5Wzs7VsFdykvcuSVVYLQifNQijuETibs213CrousVi6O5dgZtbwyJQv7AeVrw0s6HkB9ogHgAf4bI0LynjmPjtSNUyuAciiKD_yawxlO1-kuYc51Xa05e8LtMmF0kDT_1fWdm41_Pb-rqJG5uIauvs6l8JUl6mJRS920cIDTt8tYbQmh-5DIA2-h0QyAK_mo3IIrVXrNHCP4hi7V-SO3Ugv1pv-9V0=w171-h262-no

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
How do you like Singapore? I got to visit last year and was struck by some of the similarities to Vancouver, but also fascinated by what seemed to me to be a high level of social control. Also amazed by the incredibly inexpensive, yet mind-blowing cuisine, especially from the hawkers.

As a young professional working here so far I love it, there's a lot of things to do and the city is bustling. Love the food here (especially the hawkers). The seafood here is great to with Mudcrab, clams and shrimp. I agree with you in regards to the social control, there are rules everywhere here, so the city is very very safe. Living here also gave me the chance to visit countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia since these cities are only 1-2 hour flights away. Really gives you a perspective about life after seeing the other side of the world.

With all this said, I really do miss Canada. Living in suburban Coquitlam, talking with other charming Canadians, going to the local IGA to pick-up some fresh ingredients and waiting for 7 PM for a Canucks game with a Molson Canadian Beer in hand.... Nothing beats that.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008

I have the same problem talking with friends in Thailand. A 12/13 hour time difference.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Hey all, I’m Nathan.

I’ve been lurking for ages and don’t post much.

As a kid I was a bandwagon jumper and was a fan of whatever team was successful or cool at the time. Didn’t have a real favourite growing up in Cranbrook until the Canucks started going deep in the playoffs in ‘94. We were camping during the last two games and listened to them on the radio, sitting around the fire. Been a fan ever since.

That fandom and loyalty increased in the very early ‘00s when I moved to Vancouver to go to animation school. Went to my first game (2-2 tie against the Oil, I can’t believe people hate the shootout so much during the regular season after watching that anticlimactic dross) got my first jersey and so on. Decided that the Vancouver Canucks were my ride-or-die favourites for life.

Loved the West Coast Express, Ruutu, Ohlund and the general attacking style Crawford used. Hated Dan Cloutier and still believe those teams could have won a cup playing that style with a much better goalie. Bertuzzi and Naslund were an absolute treat to watch for almost two full years then it all came crashing down. Nazzy could put it in a teacup coming down the wing and Big Bert could take a game over all by himself if he really wanted to.

If only the Sedins had been born a few years earlier and still ended up Canucks, a near prime Sedin second line and they probably could have won a cup even with ol’ Dan back there.

The years leading up to the 2011 run were great ones, with tough playoff losses to powerhouse Chicago teams until the slaying of the dragon and eventually more tough playoff losses, something of a recurring theme for fans of the Canucks.

Gillis goes nuts and Benning comes in. I was hoping for a proper rebuild and was not thrilled with the retool on the fly strategy. I gave him a pass on the Kesler trade at the time, It was the raise and term to Sbisa, the term on the Dorsett contract, combined with the firing of Lawrence Gilman (who was clearly fired for not agreeing with these bad contracts) that soured me on management, and things have not greatly improved since then, aside from a nice pool of prospects.

Now I vote with my wallet and have not paid a dime for anything Canucks related... since those contracts, I believe.

I’m still in Vancouver. Still hoping for somebody to swoop in and save this team because I’d really love to see the Canucks win a Stanley cup. That’s my wish every damn time some dumb ‘make a wish’ situation pops up.

I’m the animation director on Rick and Morty, and am up for an Emmy in September. Please send your positive vibes, I would really like to win that Emmy.

Go Canucks!

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
You are wrong.

Genuinely curious... What is he wrong about exactly? And for the people telling him he shouldn't post about things he doesn't know anything about.... wouldn't that mean he never posts here at all about hockey? lol

He may have made a sweeping generalization, and might have been very clumsy about suggesting there would be concern travelling there, but I am not sure there is not reason to be concerned about moving through the country (moreso than just about anywhere you might travel in North America).

Travel Advice and Advisories for Iran

Iran Travel Advisory

Iran travel advice

Also @ziploc

Last edited:
Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

May 20, 2011
BC
I don't like giving my name out (which I realize is sort of antithetical to the purpose of the thread), but I'm a 21-year-old from New West who has been around the province a bit and currently lives in Vancouver. I've been a Canucks fan my whole life and it's one of the only means by which I've connected with my dad over several years, so the team and sport are both special to me.

I like writing + reading fiction, philosophy, music and some other things that don't come to mind immediately. I'd love to be published one day but probably don't have the talent, smarts, dedication, etc. necessary to do that. But I do keep trying to improve my writing in hopes of catching a good idea one day.

I also share a birthday with Quinn Hughes, so the superstitous part of me thinks he'll be a legend for us.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Genuinely curious... What is he wrong about exactly? And for the people telling him he shouldn't post about things he doesn't know anything about.... wouldn't that mean he never posts here at all about hockey? lol

He may have made a sweeping generalization, and might have been very clumsy about suggesting there would be concern travelling there, but I am not sure there is not reason to be concerned about moving through the country (moreso than just about anywhere you might travel in North America).

Travel Advice and Advisories for Iran

Iran Travel Advisory

Iran travel advice

Also @ziploc

He is speaking out of clear ignorance. He does not just suggest caution and careful, informed preparation; he recommends (to an obviously well-traveled person) steering clear entirely of a whole region of people because they are evidently all Western-hating terrorists. This is not only untrue (which can be learned upon interacting with Iranian people), this type of ignorance can actually be harmful, whereas ignorance on hockey matters really doesn't matter that much (unless you are a GM). I have traveled to and lived in places that others - even "official" others - have recommended people stay away from. I shudder to think of the experiences and knowledge I would have missed out on had I listened to those warnings, most of which were similarly based upon ignorance, fear and prejudice.
My reply was genuine counsel to steer clear of such generalizations in order to avoid looking like a fool, and to avoid promoting folly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad