OT: Hi, my name is...

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
With all this said, I really do miss Canada. Living in suburban Coquitlam, talking with other charming Canadians, going to the local IGA to pick-up some fresh ingredients and waiting for 7 PM for a Canucks game with a Molson Canadian Beer in hand.... Nothing beats that.
This can be the jumping off point for my bio.

My name is to the left of this post. But you can call me CM. I prefer it actually.

Born and raised in Coquitlam also. Lived in the same house on Foster Ave. across from the golf course from the time I was born until I moved out. Went to Mountain View Elementary on Robinson, Sir Frederick Banting Junior High just off Como Lake Rd., and Centennial Senior Secondary on Poirier near the rink.

Used to love fishing Como Lake. Lots of rainbow trout (and carp if you were into that).

I played rep soccer out of Blue Mountain Park until my coach said I needed to choose between soccer and hockey. I said "Okay, well bye then."

If I wasn't playing hockey I was going to teen skating on Friday nights at the rink on Poirier with two beer smuggled in — one in each skate. I held hands there with a girl for the first time.

I was a good hockey player and have a hockey pedigree with two uncles who played professionally — one for the Blackhawks and Blues, the other was a career minor leaguer who Don Cherry described in one of his books as "the toughest son of a bitch" he ever played against. That's probably a paraphrase, but it's close.

From the time I was a toddler I was getting hockey sticks from my uncles when they played in town: Northlands and Victoriavilles mainly. They would cut them down and I'd practice my wrist shot on the concrete floor in the basement. By the time I was 5 I could raise the puck off the ground. That same year I was allowed to start minor hockey at age 5 instead of 6 and I averaged a hat trick per game. I was the only player that could get the puck off the ice. :laugh:

But I had a shitty home life as a kid and got involved with alcohol and drugs from my early teens. All I ever wanted to do was get out of the house and have fun and compensate for all the unhappiness at home. I was irresponsible as all hell and seriously f***ed up a potential professional hockey career. When I finally got an invite to a junior A team I broke my ankle during training camp and that was it. I slid back downhill and never recovered enough to make a team. It's the biggest regret of my life — putting getting high over hockey. Before I knew it, I was 20 and too old for hockey the way I had envisioned it. There is of course the possibility I never would have made pro even if I had my head screwed on straight. You guys know how difficult it is to make the NHL and I wasn't exactly the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. I was a defenceman who loved to fight and hit but my biggest weakness was my skating. If I could have improved there and had my head on straight, I may have had a chance.

Then, I totally lost interest in hockey. If I couldn't play I sure as hell didn't want to watch others play. I didn't recover any interest in hockey until the Canucks of the early 1990s.

Around 18 years old I got into motorcycles.

By my early 20s I had quit drugs. Never went back. It wasn't like I was addicted to heroin or anything. I had just enjoyed doing various drugs, mostly cannabis based. Then, I just got tired of it. It was like I turned off a switch. No more drugs. I wish I had flipped that switch by the time I was 15.

Then, I lost two people who were very close to me and I really went off the rails. I was very angry at the world and that manifested itself in heavy drinking and fighting in bars from Coquitlam to New Westminster to Surrey. Is there still a country bar on Brunette near the 401 on the Coquitlam side? It was right beside a KFC. I had some doozies there. I went through that for a couple years and to my friend's credit, they stuck by me.

Never married. No kids.

Work: I was a grade 11 high school dropout so I bounced around from job to job when I was in my 20s. My most frequent job was as a doorman/bouncer. I worked at the Cariboo Hotel, The Port Moody Inn, The North Burnaby Inn, The Brass Rail Pub and The Mr. Sport Hotel in New Westminster. The Mr. Sport was a rough place.

Interesting sidebar: When I bounced at The Brass Rail Pub, convicted serial killer Robert "Willy" Pickton used to drink there. I still remember him sitting on his favourite stool overlooking the gas fireplace. I wonder how many times he sat there either just before or just after he murdered a woman on his pig farm just a few miles away.

By the time I was 29 I was growing tired of all the conflict that comes from bouncing so I answered an ad in the Vancouver Sun for a fish farming job. Back then you needed a sport SCUBA diving ticket to be a fish farmer, so I got that and that worked out well and I advanced and eventually turned that experience into a commercial diving ticket. I had finally found my calling. I loved diving and I was very good at it. I did that for about 13-14 years until I got into a serious car accident just south of Campbell River. Emergency helipcoptered down to Vancouver for an ordeal that would eventually lead to months in the hospital, 13 surgeries, a wheelchair and then crutches for about a year. After that I was uninsurable as a diver so that career was over. Went back to school, got my grade 12 diploma and took extensive college courses in world history, American history, creative writing, creative non-fiction writing and political science. I've had a few things published, some political, some human interest, but nothing that really earned much of a pay cheque.

Now I'm just trying to get by and surviving on disability and insurance payments. I suffered severe leg injuries in the accident that left me permanently disabled. I can still walk, but not far and not often without pain. I also work on some other things to supplement my income.

WTF? tl;dr

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

My name is to the left of this post. But you can call me CM. I prefer it actually.

Born and raised in Coquitlam. Lived in the same house on Foster Ave. across from the golf course, from the time I was born until I moved out. Went to Mountain View Elementary on Robinson, Sir Frederick Banting Junior High just off Como Lake Rd., and Centennial Senior Secondary on Poirier near the rink.

Used to love fishing Como Lake. Lots of rainbow trout (and carp if you were into that).

Played rep soccer out of Blue Mountain Park until my coach said I needed to choose between soccer and hockey. I said "Okay, well bye."

If I wasn't playing hockey I was going to teen skating on Friday nights at the rink on Poirier with two beer smuggled in - one in each skate. I held hands with a girl there for the first time during teen skating.

I was a good hockey player and have a hockey pedigree with two uncles who played professionally: one for the Blackhawks and Blues, the other was a career minor leaguer who Don Cherry described in one of his books as "the toughest son of a *****" he ever played against. That's probably a paraphrase, but it's close.

From the time I was a toddler I was getting hockey sticks from my uncles when they played in town: Northlands and Victoriavilles mainly. They would cut them down and I'd practice my wrist shot on the concrete floor in the basement. By the time I was 5 I could raise the puck off the ground. That same year I was allowed to start minor hockey at age 5 instead of 6 and I averaged a hat trick per game. I was the only player that could get the puck off the ice. :laugh:

But I had a ****ty home life as a kid and got involved with alcohol and drugs from my early teens. All I ever wanted to do was get out of the house and have fun and compensate for all the unhappiness at home. I was irresponsible as all hell and seriously ****ed up a potential professional hockey career. When I finally got an invite to a junior A team I broke my ankle during training camp and that was it. I slid back downhill and never recovered enough to make a team. It's the biggest regret of my life - putting getting high over hockey. Before I knew it, I was 20 and too old for hockey the way I had envisioned it. There is of course the possibility I never would have made pro even if I had my head on straight. You guys know how hard it is to make the NHL and I wasn't exactly the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. I was a defenceman who loved to hit but my biggest weakness was my skating. If I could have improved there and had my head glued on straight, then I may have had a chance.

Then, I totally lost interest in hockey. If I couldn't play I sure as hell didn't want to watch others play. I didn't recover any interest in hockey until the Canucks of the early 1990s.

By my early 20s I had quit drugs. Never went back. It wasn't like I was addicted to heroin or anything. I had just enjoyed doing various drugs, mostly cannabis based. Then, I just got tired of it. It was like I turned off a switch. No more drugs. I wish I had flipped the switch by the time I was 15.

Then I lost two people who were very close to me and I really went off the rails. I was very angry at the world and that manifested itself in drinking and fighting in bars from Coquitlam to New Westminster to Surrey. Is there still a country bar on Brunette near the 401 on the Coquitlam side? It was right beside a KFC. I had some doozies there. I went through that for a couple years and to my friend's credit, they stuck by me.

Never married. No kids.

Work: I was a grade 11 high school dropout so I bounced around from job to job in my 20s. My most frequent job was as a bouncer. I worked at the Cariboo Hotel, The Port Moody Inn, The North Burnaby Inn, The Brass Rail and The Mr. Sport in New Westminster (that was a rough place).

Interesting sidebar: When I bounced at The Brass Rail, Robert "Willy" Pickton used to drink there. I can still picture him sitting on his favourite stool.

By the time I was 29 I was growing tired of all the conflict that comes from bouncing so I answered an ad in the Vancouver Sun for a fish farming job. Back then you needed a sport SCUBA diving ticket to be a fish farmer. So I got that and that worked out well and I advanced and eventually turned that experience into a commercial diving ticket. I had finally found my calling. I loved diving and I was very good at it. I did that for about 13-14 years until I got into a serious car accident just south of Campbell River. Emergency helipcoptered down to Vancouver for an ordeal that would eventually lead to months in the hospital, 13 surgeries, a wheelchair and then crutches for about a year. After that I was uninsurable as a diver so that career was over. Went back to school, got my grade 12 diploma and took extensive college courses in world history, American history, creative writing, creative non fiction writing and political science. I've had a few things published, some political, some human interest, but nothing that really earned much of a pay cheque.

Now I'm just trying to get by and surviving on disability and insurance payments. I suffered severe leg injuries in the accident that left me permanently disabled. I can still walk, but not far and not often without pain. I also work on some other things to supplement my income.

WTF? tl;dr
Thank you for sharing. Sorry that you have really been through it, and are still dealing with pain. Glad you are a mod here.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Thank you for sharing. Sorry that you have really been through it, and are still dealing with pain. Glad you are a mod here.
Thanks man. That means a lot. I've had that post written since @Grub quoted me back on July 28. I wasn't sure if I should post it or not and reveal that much about myself so I've been procrastinating with it. I did take some out today about my upbringing though (yes, originally it was even longer). I figured it's best to try and stick with the theme of a hockey forum.

Writing it was a bit of a catharsis.

Cheers. :nod:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Born and raised in Coquitlam. Lived in the same house on Foster Ave. across from the golf course, from the time I was born until I moved out. Went to Mountain View Elementary on Robinson, Sir Frederick Banting Junior High just off Como Lake Rd., and Centennial Senior Secondary on Poirier near the rink.

Played rep soccer out of Blue Mountain Park until my coach said I needed to choose between soccer and hockey. I said "Okay, well bye."

If I wasn't playing hockey I was going to teen skating on Friday nights at the rink on Poirier with two beer smuggled in - one in each skate. I held hands with a girl there for the first time during teen skating.

I was a good hockey player and have a hockey pedigree with two uncles who played professionally: one for the Blackhawks and Blues, the other was a career minor leaguer who Don Cherry described in one of his books as "the toughest son of a *****" he ever played against. That's probably a paraphrase, but it's close.

But I had a ****ty home life as a kid and got involved with alcohol and drugs from my early teens. All I ever wanted to do was get out of the house and have fun and compensate for all the unhappiness at home. I was irresponsible as all hell and seriously ****ed up a potential professional hockey career. When I finally got an invite to a junior A team I broke my ankle during training camp and that was it. I slid back downhill and never recovered enough to make a team. It's the biggest regret of my life - putting getting high over hockey. Before I knew it, I was 20 and too old for hockey the way I had envisioned it. There is of course the possibility I never would have made pro even if I had my head on straight. You guys know how hard it is to make the NHL and I wasn't exactly the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. I was a defenceman who loved to hit but my biggest weakness was my skating. If I could have improved there and had my head glued on straight, then I may have had a chance.

By my early 20s I had quit drugs. Never went back. It wasn't like I was addicted to heroin or anything. I had just enjoyed doing various drugs, mostly cannabis based. Then, I just got tired of it. It was like I turned off a switch. No more drugs. I wish I had flipped the switch by the time I was 15.

Then I lost two people who were very close to me and I really went off the rails. I was very angry at the world and that manifested itself in drinking and fighting in bars from Coquitlam to New Westminster to Surrey. Is there still a country bar on Brunette near the 401 on the Coquitlam side? It was right beside a KFC. I had some doozies there. I went through that for a couple years and to my friend's credit, they stuck by me.

Never married. No kids.

Work: I was a grade 11 high school dropout so I bounced around from job to job in my 20s. My most frequent job was as a bouncer. I worked at the Cariboo Hotel, The Port Moody Inn, The North Burnaby Inn, The Brass Rail and The Mr. Sport in New Westminster (that was a rough place).

Interesting sidebar: When I bounced at The Brass Rail, Robert "Willy" Pickton used to drink there. I can still picture him sitting on his favourite stool.

By the time I was 29 I was growing tired of all the conflict that comes from bouncing so I answered an ad in the Vancouver Sun for a fish farming job. Back then you needed a sport SCUBA diving ticket to be a fish farmer. So I got that and that worked out well and I advanced and eventually turned that experience into a commercial diving ticket. I had finally found my calling. I loved diving and I was very good at it. I did that for about 13-14 years until I got into a serious car accident just south of Campbell River. Emergency helipcoptered down to Vancouver for an ordeal that would eventually lead to months in the hospital, 13 surgeries, a wheelchair and then crutches for about a year. After that I was uninsurable as a diver so that career was over. Went back to school, got my grade 12 diploma and took extensive college courses in world history, American history, creative writing, creative non fiction writing and political science. I've had a few things published, some political, some human interest, but nothing that really earned much of a pay cheque.

WTF? tl;dr

Glad you're on here, CM. Keep soldiering on. :)

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

If I wasn't playing hockey I was going to teen skating on Friday nights at the rink on Poirier with two beer smuggled in - one in each skate. I held hands with a girl for the first time there.

But I had a ****ty home life as a kid and got involved with alcohol and drugs from my early teens. All I ever wanted to do was get out of the house and have fun and compensate for all the unhappiness at home. I was irresponsible as all hell and seriously ****ed up a potential professional hockey career. When I finally got an invite to a junior A team I broke my ankle during training camp and that was it. I slid back downhill and never recovered enough to make a team. It's the biggest regret of my life - putting getting high over hockey. Before I knew it, I was 20 and too old for hockey the way I had envisioned it. There is of course the possibility I never would have made pro even if I had my head on straight. You guys know how hard it is to make the NHL and I wasn't exactly the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. I was a defenceman who loved to fight and hit but my biggest weakness was my skating. If I could have improved there and had my head glued on straight, then I may have had a chance.

Never married. No kids.

WTF? tl;dr

Great story. I respect you as a mod and now as a person. Makes me feel good to hear a story of overcoming adversity, I can relate.
Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
CM is clearly doing it for the big paycheque.:thumbu:

Speaking of which, I guess there's no severance pay of you quit the Mod gig right?:sarcasm:

You have to meet certain time on the job requirements for that. ;) CM and I are old dogs at this now. I think it's 9 years moderating for me this fall.

Or here's an even more frightening thought - 17 years as a member of this board as of this fall...which will be just about half my life at that time. Wow.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
You have to meet certain time on the job requirements for that. ;) CM and I are old dogs at this now. I think it's 9 years moderating for me this fall.

Or here's an even more frightening thought - 17 years as a member of this board as of this fall...which will be just about half my life at that time. Wow.
What year did you become a moderator?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I don't like giving my name out (which I realize is sort of antithetical to the purpose of the thread), but I'm a 21-year-old from New West who has been around the province a bit and currently lives in Vancouver. I've been a Canucks fan my whole life and it's one of the only means by which I've connected with my dad over several years, so the team and sport are both special to me.

I like writing + reading fiction, philosophy, music and some other things that don't come to mind immediately. I'd love to be published one day but probably don't have the talent, smarts, dedication, etc. necessary to do that. But I do keep trying to improve my writing in hopes of catching a good idea one day.

I also share a birthday with Quinn Hughes, so the superstitous part of me thinks he'll be a legend for us.
Great to have you onboard! :)

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I want to say Fall of 2009? I remember the first playoffs I moderated was the year we knocked out the Kings in Round 1, because that was crazyville.
Damn! Nine years at least. I remember you being a moderator here when I joined in 2009.

I was thrown directly into the fire two days before the Stanley Cup finals in 2011. :laugh:

Then, to top it off very few Canucks mods were in here the night of the game. At one point I think all the reports on page one in the mod forum had my name on them. Or at least it was close. :laugh:

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I felt for the Mods that were around the Bert-Moore incident (wasn't K Pederson [sp?] a Mod then?).
Yeah that must have been hell, and maybe like game 7, 2011 with the loss and the riots. We had the hell trolled out of us in here by opposing team's fans from pretty much every team in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grub

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks man. That means a lot. I've had that post written since @Grub quoted me back on July 28. I wasn't sure if I should post it or not and reveal that much about myself so I've been procrastinating with it. I did take some out today about my upbringing though (yes, originally it was even longer). I figured it's best to try and stick with the theme of a hockey forum.

Writing it was a bit of a catharsis.

Cheers. :nod:

Great to hear your story and that you're still soldiering on. I can relate to the chronic pain issues.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

If I wasn't playing hockey I was going to teen skating on Friday nights at the rink on Poirier with two beer smuggled in - one in each skate. I held hands with a girl for the first time there.

But I had a ****ty home life as a kid and got involved with alcohol and drugs from my early teens. All I ever wanted to do was get out of the house and have fun and compensate for all the unhappiness at home. I was irresponsible as all hell and seriously ****ed up a potential professional hockey career. When I finally got an invite to a junior A team I broke my ankle during training camp and that was it. I slid back downhill and never recovered enough to make a team. It's the biggest regret of my life - putting getting high over hockey. Before I knew it, I was 20 and too old for hockey the way I had envisioned it. There is of course the possibility I never would have made pro even if I had my head on straight. You guys know how hard it is to make the NHL and I wasn't exactly the second coming of Wayne Gretzky. I was a defenceman who loved to fight and hit but my biggest weakness was my skating. If I could have improved there and had my head glued on straight, then I may have had a chance.

Never married. No kids.

WTF? tl;dr

When life throws a curve ball, you just gotta shoulder through. Glad to see your perseverance and very glad to have you on these boards CM. Thanks for sharing. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad