OT: Hi, my name is...

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'm Zed, and you don't need to know my real name. Spent the vast majority of my childhood in East Vancouver, and have lived on Vancouver Island for the past fifteen years. I have a background in anthropology (+ English literature, because that combination was so conducive to any sort of long-term success) and after nattering around for a few years since graduation - torpedoing my earning potential with every passing month - I plan on pursuing a career in archives. When, where and how is up in the air right now.

Canucks fan at a passive level since 2003, and at a serious level since the 2007 playoffs, when I was a dumb, impressionable teenager, too naive to understand the pain and misery of Canucks fandom. I unironically enjoy the yellow Flying V more than any other Canucks jersey. In addition to hockey, I have a (mostly dormant) interest in open-wheel racing.

I'm actually Garth Algar.

Last edited:

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Hi,

I'm Juha, 28, from north-eastern Finland, nowadays living in the southern parts of the country. I've been a Canucks follower since 2009, slowly turning into a fan of the club. I enjoy the NHL as a whole but the Canucks are my team of choice that I follow most closely and pick if there is a fantasy league or an NHL/EHM game to be played. Why? Because I thought both Sami Salo and the rink logo were/are cool and for some reason I didn't feel the need to cheer the Ducks/Habs/Flames for the sake of iconic Finns playing there.

I rarely post here since I don't have much relevant stuff to chip in, but I enjoy reading the gameday topics and analytic/critical discussion in midst of the collective depression and rage. Orcatown is my everyday hero since due to my job I can watch only a handful of games per season.

One of the fine moments in my life was to briefly visit Vancouver last autumn even though I wasn't able to see any games. Fell in love with poutine and the sight of mountains, didn't go to the Roxy.

Bye

GingerJake

May 31, 2018
I am older than dirt. When I began watching hockey, there were about ten guys in the NHL who had perfected this new-fangled thing called a slapshot. Jacques Plante was the only goalie who wore a mask and fans debated whether or not wearing a mask signified a kind of cowardice. All teams only carried one goalie, and when the regular guy was injured, sometimes a trainer or equipment manager would have to fill in. Really, for years Detroit's trainer Lefty Wilson was the designated backup. The only guy to wear a helmet was a Boston player named Charlie Burns, and it looked more like the headgear sparring partners use in the ring.

There were six teams and Boston was the perpetual doormat. There was debate over who invented the curved stick blade; either Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull or Andy Bathgate. Before that all sticks were wooden and had straight blades. Montreal had the territorial rights to all players born in Quebec and there was no draft. There were no names on the back of jerseys, no advertising on the rink boards and no music between whistles. People dressed up to go to games, with men often wearing ties and women dresses and hats.

Players were, on average, much, much smaller than they are today. Most players had summer jobs to make ends meet and almost all players grew up playing hockey on frozen ponds or lakes, which is why there were so very few NHLers from British Columbia as vast stretches of the province's southwest, where most people have always lived, never ice over in the winter. Saturday Hockey Night in Canada came on the air at 5:30 pm in BC, a half hour after the game started. This was apparently because Juliette had a music program on at 8:00 pm EST every Saturday and the network couldn't or wouldn't move her time slot, so for a few years, we prayed for either a power outage or a bench-clearing brawl to delay the game so we'd get to see more.

All that said, hockey is better than ever. Players are bigger, faster, better conditioned, more skilled and profoundly wealthier. In about 1965 I could go to a WHL (defunct pro league equal to the AHL) Vancouver Canucks game for $2.50, buy a program for 50 cents and have a hot dog and Coke for 75 cents. Overall, I have fond memories of hockey as a boy, but again, the game is better than ever.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
My first job paid $1.60 / hr, then I went on commission and made even less.
My first real job (I don't count things like working part-time at Rotten Ronalds in high school heh) I was paid about $7 bucks an hour (entry level office clerk job).

I sometimes just go & grab the $1.50 hot dog & drink at Costco before going to a Canucks game if I'm really pressed for time & need at least something to eat.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Greetings earthlings,

My name is Jon and I'm here to say...

I'm 29, have been living in Iceland for the past couple of years doing my masters - just had my defence. Passed. B.Sc in Physical Geography, MRM in Natural Resource Management. I like to travel when I am not at school or working, have been to some number of countries - Iceland, Netherlands, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Congo (very briefly), Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Australia, New Zealand, China, US, and Canada. Off to Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan and Nepal in autumn.

I will play almost any sport recreationally but ball hockey and squash regularly. Ultimate frisbee in summer, too. I also enjoy photography when the mood strikes. My most common activity is hiking/mountaineering/backpacking. I also ski and ski tour.

I'm currently in Kimberley but moving to Hope for the summer.

Canucks fan since Ms. Yamamoto, my grade one teacher at Douglas Road brainwashed us all into being Canucks fans. And here I am.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
As a kid I fell in love with Kirk Mclean's pads so started cheering for the Canucks from afar. But I was a Habs fan growing up, Patrick Roy was my hero. Because of that I also read Home Game by Ken Dryden when I was like 11 or 12, and love reading hockey and scifi books especially.

I'm a goalie (no suprise), and still play. Changed my style completely from hybrid Cujo/Brodeur type to the modern butterfly style. Still learning, reading, and adding new pieces to my game even now. Goaltending is such a weird technical niche buried inside the best sport ever. I love that it's constantly evolving and changing, in many ways faster than the game around it. Frequented a lot of goalie-centric sites and got to meet Pete Smith (designer of the modern goalie pad), and thanks to a certain ex-NHL goalie coach got to chat online with NHL-level goalie coaches. One of these days I will get my coaching certs and volunteer for my local association (wherever that is at the time).

Went to school in Toronto, and didn't get to catch many Habs games. Eventually moved to Vancouver and got into the Seahawks and Canucks through my brother. It was a harsh time when the WCE was fading away but it was great to bond with my brother and his new brother over hockey. That's when I became a full-time Canucks fan, in the age of the Bra-Barian.

Had a great time in Vancouver doing science-type things. I also got to attend VanHAC and took a course on hockey history. Now I'm in Alberta to do more science.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
As a kid I fell in love with Kirk Mclean's pads so started cheering for the Canucks from afar. But I was a Habs fan growing up, Patrick Roy was my hero. Because of that I also read Home Game by Ken Dryden when I was like 11 or 12, and love reading hockey and scifi books especially.

I'm a goalie (no suprise), and still play. Changed my style completely from hybrid Cujo/Brodeur type to the modern butterfly style. Still learning, reading, and adding new pieces to my game even now. Goaltending is such a weird technical niche buried inside the best sport ever. I love that it's constantly evolving and changing, in many ways faster than the game around it. Frequented a lot of goalie-centric sites and got to meet Pete Smith (designer of the modern goalie pad), and thanks to a certain ex-NHL goalie coach got to chat online with NHL-level goalie coaches. One of these days I will get my coaching certs and volunteer for my local association (wherever that is at the time).

Went to school in Toronto, and didn't get to catch many Habs games. Eventually moved to Vancouver and got into the Seahawks and Canucks through my brother. It was a harsh time when the WCE was fading away but it was great to bond with my brother and his new brother over hockey. That's when I became a full-time Canucks fan, in the age of the Bra-Barian.

Had a great time in Vancouver doing science-type things. I also got to attend VanHAC and took a course on hockey history. Now I'm in Alberta to do more science.
Good luck in all your sciencing.

Reactions: mossey3535

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Hi I'm a guy with a name.

I'm 53 years old and have been a Canucks fan since their inaugural season, although I don't remember much about watching them until a couple of years after that. My first ever favourite Canuck was Bobby Schmautz.

I attended the game (with my Dad) the first time the Canucks didn't lose to the Canadiens... a 2-2 tie. It took them 4 years to reach this milestone.

My Dad also took me to see the restricted movie, Slap Shot, when it came out. I was 12... it was awesome.

I will always hate the Leafs for their fans, especially how, for the longest time, Toronto games in Vancouver were like home games for them.

I will always hate the Oilers for Gretzky and the 1980's.

I partially forgave the Flames after Iginla's classy showing at the end of Linden's final game.

My favourite squad was the '93-'94 SC Finalists... with an honourable mention to the '88-'89 team (Otto kicked it in).

The most talented player to ever suit up for us, in my opinion, was Pavel Bure. He was also, during the last half of his last season with the team, possibly the worst player to ever play of the team.

Actually, the worst player to ever get more than a cup of coffee with the team was Randy Boyd. He was f***ing terrible.

The Sedins should be first ballot HOF'ers and I will miss them.

Ten years ago I moved from Vancouver to Nova Scotia. I regret nothing other than having to stay up to 11:00 just to watch the currently suckass version of the Canucks lose a poorly played game. Well, that and having to watch us lose the Cup in 2011 in a room full of Boston fans.

At their current rate of success, and based upon the median lifespan for a North American male, I have 2, maybe 3 more chances to see the Canucks win a Cup. Hopefully Benning doesn't slow this process down any.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Hi I'm a guy with a name.

I'm 53 years old and have been a Canucks fan since their inaugural season, although I don't remember much about watching them until a couple of years after that. My first ever favourite Canuck was Bobby Schmautz.

I attended the game (with my father) the first time the Canucks didn't lose to the Canadiens... a 2-2 tie. It took them 4 years to reach this milestone.

I will always hate the Leafs for their fans, especially how, for the longest time, Toronto games in Vancouver were like home games for them.

I will always hate the Oilers for Gretzky and the 1980's.

I partially forgave the Flames after Iginla's classy showing at the end of Linden's final game.

My favourite squad was the '93-'94 SC Finalists... with an honourable mention to the '88-'89 team (Otto kicked it in).

The most talented player to ever suit up for us, in my opinion, was Pavel Bure. He was also, during the last half of his last season with the team, possibly the worst player to ever play of the team.

Actually, the worst player to ever get more than a cup of coffee with the team was Randy Boyd. He was ****ing terrible.

The Sedins should be first ballot HOF'ers and I will miss them.

Ten years ago I moved from Vancouver to Nova Scotia. I regret nothing other than having to stay up to 11:00 just to watch the currently suckass version of the Canucks lose a poorly played game. Well, that and having to watch us lose the Cup in 2011 in a room full of Boston fans.

At their current rate of success, and based upon the median lifespan for a North American male, I have 2, maybe 3 more chances to see the Canucks win a Cup. Hopefully Benning doesn't slow this process down any.
I have forgiven Bure now for the way he left the team, largely because I think he was screwed over by the brass, and because I have some more perspective. But I was plenty sore at him for awhile because of that last season's display.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I have forgiven Bure now for the way he left the team, largely because I think he was screwed over by the brass, and because I have some more perspective. But I was plenty sore at him for awhile because of that last season's display.

I understand it now too... but boy was it ugly to watch at the time.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Do they still call you Bruce?

Actually...
2hekphw.jpg

(not really)

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad