OT: Hi, my name is...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
WTF? tl;dr

Quite impressed you shared this, so kudos to you I guess.

You are not alone in suffering though as I imagine several others here have issue of their own that they may not want to share so I appriciate you coming out with this so easily (at least it seems like).

Might be the appropriate point for me to share that I have been battling cancer for about 23 1/2 years now. Had one major surgery to remove a fist sized cancer from below my cerebellum on Feb 6 1992. I had my skull opened up in one place as they sew a hole into my cheekbone to better access the cancer, had my artery temportary cut off (have an 18cm scare on my neck to remember it) so i didnt lose too much blood (got about 4 litres of donors blood) and ended up looking like a badly beat up boxer.

3 year later it returned and since that kind of cancer is attached to the artery they tried to block the connections to the artery before hand. Of course they screwed up and pierced my artery somewhat so I ended up having a bloodclot and the whole procedure was stopped just before me dying (my blood pressure at that time was about 60/40) and I ended up in hypercare for several days where i wasnt allowed to move in order not to risk another stroke (apparantly had a minor one or two during the procedure already). In what seemed like a little joke of destiny it was Feb 6 again but 1995. So that sort of ended up as my 2nd birthday.

Ever since I am living with the cancer, for anyone interested its this in the worst form it could happen. I went back for check every other months for some years after it but since its a kind of cancer that normally affects young males it sort of looked like dissolving itself and at some stage I ended up missing my check ups more and more and then never went again.

Interestingly enough, those bad times I went through in hospital were also the times when i started to appriciate the Canucks more and more and became a real fan. Was really interest in the NHL and Canucks before too but for whatever reason in particular that 94-95 shortended season really attached me to them. Might be just me lying in the hospital and looking for anything to cheer up but this was pretty much the eye opener for me and why i ended up being a die hard fan - though I was following them since about 1991 after the iron curtain came down and just basic information about the NHL (results etc) started to make it my way.

Anyway, I am getting drunk now and when i wake up tomorrow I probably wish I hadnt written this but so be it now.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Quite impressed you shared this, so kudos to you I guess.

You are not alone in suffering though as I imagine several others here have issue of their own that they may not want to share so I appriciate you coming out with this so easily (at least it seems like).

Might be the appropriate point for me to share that I have been battling cancer for about 23 1/2 years now. Had one major surgery to remove a fist sized cancer from below my cerebellum on Feb 6 1992. I had my skull opened up in one place as they sew a hole into my cheekbone to better access the cancer, had my artery temportary cut off (have an 18cm scare on my neck to remember it) so i didnt lose too much blood (got about 4 litres of donors blood) and ended up looking like a badly beat up boxer.

3 year later it returned and since that kind of cancer is attached to the artery they tried to block the connections to the artery before hand. Of course they screwed up and pierced my artery somewhat so I ended up having a bloodclot and the whole procedure was stopped just before me dying (my blood pressure at that time was about 60/40) and I ended up in hypercare for several days where i wasnt allowed to move in order not to risk another stroke (apparantly had a minor one or two during the procedure already). In what seemed like a little joke of destiny it was Feb 6 again but 1995. So that sort of ended up as my 2nd birthday.

Ever since I am living with the cancer, for anyone interested its this in the worst form it could happen. I went back for check every other months for some years after it but since its a kind of cancer that normally affects young males it sort of looked like dissolving itself and at some stage I ended up missing my check ups more and more and then never went again.

Interestingly enough, those bad times I went through in hospital were also the times when i started to appriciate the Canucks more and more and became a real fan. Was really interest in the NHL and Canucks before too but for whatever reason in particular that 94-95 shortended season really attached me to them. Might be just me lying in the hospital and looking for anything to cheer up but this was pretty much the eye opener for me and why i ended up being a die hard fan - though I was following them since about 1991 after the iron curtain came down and just basic information about the NHL (results etc) started to make it my way.

Anyway, I am getting drunk now and when i wake up tomorrow I probably wish I hadnt written this but so be it now.
It wasn't easy. I mentioned this in a follow-up post here already, but it took me about two weeks to post it after I'd written it. :laugh:

And yes, lengthy stays in the hospital can change your entire outlook on life. I remember when I first stood up after my accident. I had been seeing the world either from laying in bed or in a wheelchair for about 6 months. I had one of my home caregivers pick up crutches for me and I had been trying to stand for weeks, but it was just too painful. Along with my legs I had broken my hip and pelvis and arm - lots of things. When I finally was able to stand in my living room, I propped myself up on the crutches and when I looked out the front window, everything was different. I had been seeing the world from a "low" perspective and I had gotten used to it. When I got back on my feet, it was one of the greatest moments of my life. I had gotten back at least some of what had been taken from me.

Glad that you're still with us Peter, and I hope you are for a long time.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
I've been a fan since their inception (though I really didn't know what the heck was going on given my age - yeah, yeah, in before "so...how is that any different how you are now?" :laugh:). Reason why I'm bi-polar today.:)

I have no idea what you're attempting to convey here. How old are you?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
@Pip Bill O’Brien is at the Presidents Cup here in town playing for Onondaga and he’s been wearing a camera on his helmet for the whole playoffs. Some awesome videos on his youtube

@Eternal Sunshine

Last edited:
Reactions: Pip

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Ken from Vancouver, grew up in Victoria. My first hockey memory is a hazy recollection of Ken Dryden standing in the crease resting his folded arms on his goalie stick. As a result, the Habs were the first team I supported. But I switched my support to the Canucks fairly soon after and have been a fan ever since. Having experienced the perennial losing of the late 70's and 80's, I feel a bit fatalistic about the current team.

DekeyPete

Dec 18, 2002
pg bc
Brad. Born and raised in Prince George. Father to rock and roll twins (Bonham and Rhiannon). Drummer in two bands , both Metal, but i can play whatever :) Festival owner/concert promoter. Hockey watcher, i like to think i know nothing about the game.lol Canucks fan forever (born 74). Even though i live in the north i have made my way to many canucks games over the years including the longest game in canucks history (vs dallas 4ot), the retirement of naslund and linden's jerseys nights and for the stretch from 2001 on attended at least one game per round of the playoffs for about 6 years.
Oh as for real life stuff. i work in a mill recovering from hernia surgery right now . I had enough spare time to write this :)
Cheers to all the people here who are hockey educated, i read this forum every day, and keep my mouth shut now cuz i am smart enough too ;) sometimes knowing what you don't know is better than knowing what you do :)

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Hi everyone! Lingered here many years before finally taking the plunge and signing up today. Grew up in Powell River (hence the user name) and lived and (more often) died with the Canucks. Not so fond memories of Snepts giving away the puck against the Islanders costing us a win in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. I'm now a lawyer, living in Ontario and trying not to stay up late to watch the Canucks as it always kills me the next day at work. The last few years have been easier to turn off the tv but not so much with EP40 hanging around. May have to get NHL Centre Ice again!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Hi everyone! Lingered here many years before finally taking the plunge and signing up today. Grew up in Powell River (hence the user name) and lived and (more often) died with the Canucks. Not so fond memories of Snepts giving away the puck against the Islanders costing us a win in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. I'm now a lawyer, living in Ontario and trying not to stay up late to watch the Canucks as it always kills me the next day at work. The last few years have been easier to turn off the tv but not so much with EP40 hanging around. May have to get NHL Centre Ice again!
Welcome!

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018

Welcome. Like the user name, Lupul was a good guy who fought some demons in his time but a good guy and real character.

You're kind of going through what I did when Bure arrived. I was heading a start-up in the Toronto area from the beginning of 1990-93 and geez, what I would have done to have the internet back then. Excitement wise, for me the Pettersson arrival matches Bure's and there wasn't anything in between that reached the same level. Enjoy!

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
posted this in a couple of other threads but ..

Its not relevant, but after 10 + years, and the fact I have moved to Chilliwack, I have changed my user name for the first time. Just posting this so people will understand.

Billvanseattle will become Chillybilly.

1 - there will likely be a seattle team.

2 - I haven't lived in Seattle for 10 years.

Many of you know me ... I have been to games or other events with 4 or 5 of you, and played with about 30 of you in the drop in games. See whether or not the name change has kicked in ...

Nope it has not kicked in ..

okay failed to notice that the name was already in use ... its now official, I am ChilliBilly.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
posted this in a couple of other threads but ..

Its not relevant, but after 10 + years, and the fact I have moved to Chilliwack, I have changed my user name for the first time. Just posting this so people will understand.

Billvanseattle will become Chillybilly.

1 - there will likely be a seattle team.

2 - I haven't lived in Seattle for 10 years.

Many of you know me ... I have been to games or other events with 4 or 5 of you, and played with about 30 of you in the drop in games. See whether or not the name change has kicked in ...

Nope it has not kicked in ..

okay failed to notice that the name was already in use ... its now official, I am ChilliBilly.

Wait, what? There are HFBoards drop-in games?

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Hello all, my name is Bob, I have been a Canucks fan since 1994, hockey fan since 88 or so. I use to post on some other hockey forum about 15 years ago when Bertuzzi had his misunderstanding with Colorado, but I see that forum is goners now. Anyway, I have been lurking here for a bit and am an annoying sarcastic fan at times who is quite fed up with the direction of this team despite some positives mixed in. I am really hoping for a proper management team to be brought in to build off the few solid pieces Benning has put together, but build to the future, far far away from Gudbranson, Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, etc.

Reactions: dim jim

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Hello all, my name is Bob, I have been a Canucks fan since 1994, hockey fan since 88 or so. I use to post on some other hockey forum about 15 years ago when Bertuzzi had his misunderstanding with Colorado, but I see that forum is goners now. Anyway, I have been lurking here for a bit and am an annoying sarcastic fan at times who is quite fed up with the direction of this team despite some positives mixed in. I am really hoping for a proper management team to be brought in to build off the few solid pieces Benning has put together, but build to the future, far far away from Gudbranson, Eriksson, Schaller, Granlund, etc.
Thescoreboards? Fanhome/Scout? If so, who were you there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad