OT: HFWings Keeper Fantasy Hockey League: Season Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't mind.

Wondering when the league is going to start up, all the talk I have been hearing is probably in February.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I got an email from Yahoo about the league being opened up, though I haven't looked to see what that means yet. Don't see much point in trying to set keepers or anything until some kind of significant info gets confirmed instead of just these leaks. Hard to even remember who's on my team anymore, lol.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I got an email from Yahoo about the league being opened up, though I haven't looked to see what that means yet. Don't see much point in trying to set keepers or anything until some kind of significant info gets confirmed instead of just these leaks. Hard to even remember who's on my team anymore, lol.

Before I go through the effort of figuring everything out, I'm waiting for firm details.

Of course, by the time we HAVE firm details, I'll be rushing to figure everything out.

Long story short - if you thought last year was a mess, strap in, because I don't see how I can make it any cleaner this year. The prospect scenario is going to be a nightmare with who will and won't be in the system due to all the different league sharing.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Before I go through the effort of figuring everything out, I'm waiting for firm details.

Of course, by the time we HAVE firm details, I'll be rushing to figure everything out.

Long story short - if you thought last year was a mess, strap in, because I don't see how I can make it any cleaner this year. The prospect scenario is going to be a nightmare with who will and won't be in the system due to all the different league sharing.

We do this for the fun of it, I'm for you streamlining it in whatever way you feel is necessary when the time comes to just get it up and running and moving forward for a year. It kind of sucks that two of our first three seasons have gotten kicked in the nards but, hey, we make the like wolf man and roll with it.

Reactions: Sparty

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We do this for the fun of it, I'm for you streamlining it in whatever way you feel is necessary when the time comes to just get it up and running and moving forward for a year. It kind of sucks that two of our first three seasons have gotten kicked in the nards but, hey, we make the like wolf man and roll with it.

The big thing is I'm sure Yahoo will be a total mess with all the prospects and their eligibility. We already struggle with this if a guy is in the NCAA for example, so I'm sure this year will be a headache. I'm also worried about guys we drafted as prospects vanishing from the system?

I'm going to take a look at it over the break and see if there's any reasonable solutions.

HERE'S WHAT EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO:

Select 8 keepers for your roster.
Select 3 prospects from your roster - must be within 3 years of draft year (5 years for goalies) and have less than 55 NHL games total.

Once I have the keepers finalized for everyone, we can setup the draft. You can select your Keepers through Yahoo. I'm setting a deadline for January 1st for this so the draft can be arranged in the week before the season starts.

It's possible you won't have 3 eligible prospects, which is fine. You can draft those guys this year.

Reactions: Winger98

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
The big thing is I'm sure Yahoo will be a total mess with all the prospects and their eligibility. We already struggle with this if a guy is in the NCAA for example, so I'm sure this year will be a headache. I'm also worried about guys we drafted as prospects vanishing from the system?

I'm going to take a look at it over the break and see if there's any reasonable solutions.

HERE'S WHAT EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO:

Select 8 keepers for your roster.
Select 3 prospects from your roster - must be within 3 years of draft year (5 years for goalies) and have less than 55 NHL games total.

Once I have the keepers finalized for everyone, we can setup the draft. You can select your Keepers through Yahoo. I'm setting a deadline for January 1st for this so the draft can be arranged in the week before the season starts.

It's possible you won't have 3 eligible prospects, which is fine. You can draft those guys this year.
So I assume we can decide to not keep a certain prospect and just choose one in the draft to fill the spot?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There's a fantasy hockey league here?? Consider me IN. No spots? That's ok, just boot the most boring manager in the league. I'll spice things up. Thanks in advance, looking forward to the PM with the league invite.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So I assume we can decide to not keep a certain prospect and just choose one in the draft to fill the spot?

I don't know, we ran into issues with this in the previous draft where Yahoo took the people who chose fewer keepers and allowed them to jump ahead in the draft. It kind of killed the point of trading for picks and what not above and beyond also working two new people in through the draft.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I don't know, we ran into issues with this in the previous draft where Yahoo took the people who chose fewer keepers and allowed them to jump ahead in the draft. It kind of killed the point of trading for picks and what not above and beyond also working two new people in through the draft.

On Yahoo, you can slot your X number of keepers into your X number of final draft picks. So teams that keep fewer players and have extra picks will be using them at the end of the draft instead of the beginning.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Exactly.

On Yahoo, you can slot your X number of keepers into your X number of final draft picks. So teams that keep fewer players and have extra picks will be using them at the end of the draft instead of the beginning.

Last year there was certainly some confusion about this. I'll need to make sure that picks do end up at the end. We also traded a bunch of picks so that needs to be considered.

But as long as I have everyone's list I can make sure it will function ahead of time.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There's a fantasy hockey league here?? Consider me IN. No spots? That's ok, just boot the most boring manager in the league. I'll spice things up. Thanks in advance, looking forward to the PM with the league invite.

If someone doesn't reappear to claim their team, you're now first up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I have never been in a league that does the opposite, so I am always surprised at how often this gripe is brought up. I hate the other way being proposed or gone with I should say but oh well.

I will try to get this all locked in this weekend at some point.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
where can i see my draft picks for the upcoming draft? Still undecided on my last keeper spot...

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Not sure about that, but on the "Draft Picks" page it shows this note:

View picks owned in this season's draft as a result of any draft picks that were traded last season. These are not automatically applied -- the commissioner must set up a custom draft order and import these picks for them to be included in your upcoming draft.

The order they show, I don't feel like it's right. I thought I was a lot higher up in the standings than middle of the pack but I can't find anywhere they have last seasons standings.

I'd guess the order will be the regular season records in reverse since we didn't get to play any playoffs?

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not sure about that, but on the "Draft Picks" page it shows this note:

View picks owned in this season's draft as a result of any draft picks that were traded last season. These are not automatically applied -- the commissioner must set up a custom draft order and import these picks for them to be included in your upcoming draft.

The order they show, I don't feel like it's right. I thought I was a lot higher up in the standings than middle of the pack but I can't find anywhere they have last seasons standings.

I'd guess the order will be the regular season records in reverse since we didn't get to play any playoffs?

You finished 3rd. The list is just alphabetical but not adjusted for the name changes made by BinCookin and TimWhoretons.

Reactions: Sparty

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Since I'm claiming I was champion last year, I'll bite the bullet and draft last. :naughty:

Whether the order sorts itself once I lock in the settings or I need to do it manually, I'll make sure it's all done fair and in order of standings.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have never been in a league that does the opposite, so I am always surprised at how often this gripe is brought up. I hate the other way being proposed or gone with I should say but oh well.

I will try to get this all locked in this weekend at some point.

I think part of the issue is that not all of us knew it was an option. I might have ditched all of my prospects and a keeper or two if I knew it meant I got to pick earlier.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think part of the issue is that not all of us knew it was an option. I might have ditched all of my prospects and a keeper or two if I knew it meant I got to pick earlier.

It was what I thought would be your only chance to get competitive in a few years joining in expansion. I mean basically I might only keep a few guys still right now if it was setup that way.

But we reload, should be kind of a strange year as is. I have to hope Kakko and Hughes take big step forwards to be competitive.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It was what I thought would be your only chance to get competitive in a few years joining in expansion. I mean basically I might only keep a few guys still right now if it was setup that way.

But we reload, should be kind of a strange year as is. I have to hope Kakko and Hughes take big step forwards to be competitive.

I get that but if you're wondering why folks are a bit chapped over it it's because it wasn't known as an option. Folks made moves with expectations of the draft shaking out a particular way and they probably felt pretty similar to how you currently feel about how the draft is working. It doesn't help that circumstances have really put a dent into the first few seasons and have forced some on-the-fly work by Bench to keep the thing going as smoothly as it has.

Covid is even screwing up our fantasy worlds.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I mean if someone else can figure out how to get the Yahoo draft to work the way you're all describing where people can simultaneously trade picks and different teams can have asymmetrical picks based on keepers, I'm game.

There was some struggle getting that to work appropriately last year given we trade picks at set positions during the year.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hey guys,

I just sat down to fix up our league but uhhh... I don't have commish duties. So I can't do anything.

@PullHard you might need to get things rolling.

Reactions: PullHard

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Can we already say if we can get the draft done before the season starts? I'm open for any time until this weekend

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Yeah I'm good with anytime during the day, or hopefully a bit later in the evening. Day works better for me, if it has to be night, looks like we did 10pm last year so if we can do that again that's good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad