OT: HFPens Community Lounge: All Are Welcome (No, Not You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Work: why aren't you getting xyz done?
Me: well, for the past TEN years of highly efficient work I've been in charge of abc, I forward the xyz request forms to the other team.
Work: why isn't the xyz being done?
Me: i don't know, I'm not on that team.
Work: well, we're going to look into it...... Work: so we determined you should go ahead and forward the xyz requests to the other team who will then work on them .
Me:.... Uh huh, really... .
Work : also we need you to do a bunch more paperwork showing the xyz requests.
Me: so, literally exactly what I already told you is the process?
Work: but put double the forms in a file, too, and report on xyz team to us
Me: fml

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, it also says the battery life is 6-10 hours or whatever of the console... but how about the joy cons? How long you get out of those when it's in dock mode... I really don't trust a soon-to-be 8 year old carrying around a switch just yet. Got her the new nintendo dsi and told her not to drop it, since she had it... roughly 4-5 months it's been dropped probably 50 times.
I'm not sure, but I have never had the controllers die on me.

Reactions: LOGiK

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Yeah touch screen is super nice for my kid, she is a big touch screener. I guess in todays tech world it would be kind of weird to not have a portable screen that doesnt have touch features.

Well... I got minecraft (marks the 4th time I bought the game over 10 years now (java, windows 10 (for ray tracing) new dsi, switch =O) and trying to find a suitable replacement for wii-sports I bought mario/sonic 2020 olympics. Games are friggin outrageously expensive, which is why I may mod simply because I have to try 20 or so games to find one the kid will really take to.

Like I said before, she's not realy a 'gamer' gamer... she just likes to fiddle around in wii sports playing simple motion games of tennis... bowling... etc. As she gets older she'll appreciate the switch more, but I told wifey, it's not like wii sports is gone... it's one input change away on the tv.... plus all the new games on the switch and minecraft on the go.

But we can't really play anything two players until I fork out nearly 200 dollars for 2 more control sets.... crickey...

I am going to the used game store to pick up more games, we went late last night so the used shop was closed by the time we bought the switch. Pick up maybe mario party or new mario brothers side scroller title and possibly mario party for the joy con friendly mini games. Oh and snipper clips too... I refuse to pay full price for games... especially since nintendo games are sd cards, used games can't possibly be scratched as if they were disc's.

I'm a big fan of physical media, but the switch with a 512gb memory card and downloading games to it has made me change my tune on physical crap

Mario Maker 2 is better than any standalone mario bros game on switch

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Also, I'm on a huge yakisoba kick lately. Even wifey likes it. Not because they are cheap... I just was in the mood for teriyaki noodles, her spicy.
I... we... only use 1/4 to 1/2 the package of flavor, which is the unhealthy part of the box... but man are they good.
I really want to go out to get sushi and other japanese food... calamari and orange salad... hot damn... I miss eating out. It's been over a year now. Only fast food we eat is pizza really... we dont eat at the big name fast food joints any more. I refuse.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm not sure, but I have never had the controllers die on me.

Yeah, even straight away out of the box and playing 3 hours last night they didn't even die. Crazy.

I'm a big fan of physical media, but the switch with a 512gb memory card and downloading games to it has made me change my tune on physical crap

Mario Maker 2 is better than any standalone mario bros game on switch
Switch has 512gb internal storage? Didn't even bother checking honestly. We have a bunch of 32gb sd cards around and a 64gb or two... but I need a 128gb sd card or two instead of swapping 32's.

Dang.... everyone have a switch or wat?

I saw Mario Maker ..... def going to get that... it was one of my research before buying the switch choice games... 1 of about 5 I'm eyeing up

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, even straight away out of the box and playing 3 hours last night they didn't even die. Crazy.
I have definitely played huge chunks, forgot to plug them in, then played another huge chunk without having an issue.
I saw Mario Maker ..... def going to get that... it was one of my research before buying the switch choice games... 1 of about 5 I'm eyeing up
I haven't played Mario Maker 2, but the first one on Wii U was great. The second looks just like an expanded version of that, so I'm sure it's good.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah touch screen is super nice for my kid, she is a big touch screener. I guess in todays tech world it would be kind of weird to not have a portable screen that doesnt have touch features.

Well... I got minecraft (marks the 4th time I bought the game over 10 years now (java, windows 10 (for ray tracing) new dsi, switch =O) and trying to find a suitable replacement for wii-sports I bought mario/sonic 2020 olympics. Games are friggin outrageously expensive, which is why I may mod simply because I have to try 20 or so games to find one the kid will really take to.

Like I said before, she's not realy a 'gamer' gamer... she just likes to fiddle around in wii sports playing simple motion games of tennis... bowling... etc. As she gets older she'll appreciate the switch more, but I told wifey, it's not like wii sports is gone... it's one input change away on the tv.... plus all the new games on the switch and minecraft on the go.

But we can't really play anything two players until I fork out nearly 200 dollars for 2 more control sets.... crickey...

I am going to the used game store to pick up more games, we went late last night so the used shop was closed by the time we bought the switch. Pick up maybe mario party or new mario brothers side scroller title and possibly mario party for the joy con friendly mini games. Oh and snipper clips too... I refuse to pay full price for games... especially since nintendo games are sd cards, used games can't possibly be scratched as if they were disc's.

I wouldn't mod it without doing a ton of research first. If you want something to play emulated games there are better options that don't run the risk of bricking your Switch and/or account.

Snipperclips should be a blast. Don't be afraid of using the eShop either as there's usually a ton of games on sale for better prices than I'm used to finding used games for. Not always, and there's certain publishers I'd still suggest going physical for just for retained value (buy any Nintendo-published game and you have the option to sell it back for a decent chunk since Nintendo is never dropping the price more than 25% themselves, ie if New Super Mario Bros. Wii U doesn't end up being a huge success you can still count on getting $15-20 for trading it in/$30-40 selling it yourself. Given the age of the kiddo I'd suggest laying more into the digital versions so you don't have to worry about those SD cards disappearing in the cushions. My nephews have already managed to lose the Super Mario 3D All-Stars I got them.

Oh, and on that not Super Mario 3D All-Stars is only available for a few more weeks...so now would be the time to get that one if interested. I've always been way more of a 2D Mario fan myself, but those games are pretty perfect for a kid her age. Super Mario Odyssey, obviously, as well.

The joy-cons can be used individually for multiplayer games, btw. That's far from an ideal situation, but for an impromptu round of Mario Kart it works in a pinch without the need to buy yet another set. Maybe go for the Pro controller and hold off on a second set of joy-cons until you start having drift issues. Now that they're selling individual joy-cons (rather than only sets) replacing drift issues isn't as stupidly expensive as before.

Those sound like solid game pick-ups for her. I'd be lying if I said I 'got' Minecraft, but my nephews sure as hell do.

Oh, and with the eShop...do be careful. Quality Assurance is not a thing on these damn virtual shops and, for better or worse, Nintendo doesn't even allow for reviews so you have no idea if a game is any good or not just based on its eShop page. There's thousands of games on the eShop and there's no sort of indicator of quality beyond pricing structures.

I may suggest looking at one of the Taiko no Tatsujin games if your daughter really loves motion controls, as those are drum games in which the joy-cons act like drumsticks. Really fun, simple to understand, hard to master arcade games.

Reactions: LOGiK and Ogrezilla

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016

Switch has 512gb internal storage? Didn't even bother checking honestly. We have a bunch of 32gb sd cards around and a 64gb or two... but I need a 128gb sd card or two instead of swapping 32's.

You can put SD cards into switch... Stock is likely only enough to save local settings

If you have an active paid nintendo account you get access to a bunch of NES and SNES games for free, too

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I think it comes with 32gb. I have 400gb in mine. Changing sd cards in and out is possible, but is a predictable pain in the ass when it comes to figuring out where the data you need is. Nintendo optimizes their games insanely well so you could get by using a 64gb one for a while, but certain games can fill a 32gb one themselves. On the bright side memory is comparably cheap and plentiful compared to every other console.

Mario Maker 2 is an easy recommendation, though I do think it worked better with the Wii U GamePad (one of about three games that used that thing well).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You can put SD cards into switch... Stock is likely only enough to save local settings

If you have an active paid nintendo account you get access to a bunch of NES and SNES games for free, too

I couldnt for the life of me link our nintendo account yesterday on the switch. I paid the .50 cent thing for activating the dsi account... have the email, have the password doesnt work. Had reset the password, doesnt work... I have no idea how to transfer the existing nintedo account. The email and password you have to enter says NOT NINTENDO ID info so WHAT THE F*** IS IT!?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I couldnt for the life of me link our nintendo account yesterday on the switch. I paid the .50 cent thing for activating the dsi account... have the email, have the password doesnt work. Had reset the password, doesnt work... I have no idea how to transfer the existing nintedo account. The email and password you have to enter says NOT NINTENDO ID info so WHAT THE F*** IS IT!?

I think they're different accounts that you link. Nintendo changed their ID system with the Switch, but I honestly forget everything that entailed.

Nintendo isn't great at online anything and never has been.

I definitely remember making the account on the PC, not the Switch for what that's worth.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think they're different accounts that you link. Nintendo changed their ID system with the Switch, but I honestly forget everything that entailed.

Nintendo isn't great at online anything and never has been.

I definitely remember making the account on the PC, not the Switch for what that's worth.

Yeah we have a dsi nintendo eshop account... it's possible we may need a different account, but I figure games bought on there may possibly be also transferable to the switch.... not all dsi games obviously...

I know nintendo online sucks which is one reason I don't want to buy eshop games... but we will keep the switch as reselling value never really drops for nintendo products... I just hate being vulnerable to shifting store fronts and relying on online services to store my games... outside of steam where games are massive storage wise and it's otherwise impossible to store them at home. Nintendo games being smaller just makes me rather want to physically hold all my purchases.

How do you get the free snes games?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah we have a dsi nintendo eshop account... it's possible we may need a different account, but I figure games bought on there may possibly be also transferable to the switch.... not all dsi games obviously...

I know nintendo online sucks which is one reason I don't want to buy eshop games... but we will keep the switch as reselling value never really drops for nintendo products... I just hate being vulnerable to shifting store fronts and relying on online services to store my games... outside of steam where games are massive storage wise and it's otherwise impossible to store them at home. Nintendo games being smaller just makes me rather want to physically hold all my purchases.

How do you get the free snes games?

The SNES games come with Nintendo Switch Online ($20/year). They add new games to the list fairly regularly.

Nothing carries over generation to generation here, the Switch is not backwards compatible with the DS or 3DS so there's nothing to transfer.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The SNES games come with Nintendo Switch Online ($20/year). They add new games to the list fairly regularly.

Nothing carries over generation to generation here, the Switch is not backwards compatible with the DS or 3DS so there's nothing to transfer.

20 dollars a year?? wat!

I don't think that would ever be used. Can you use the eshop without buying nintendo online account?

So that means we have to make a new nintendo account for the switch.... and do another .50 cent activation. Man I hate that.

Can you use minecraft online servers without the online service?

I know so little about nintendo stuff... I game on pc... consoles in the past so I'm not used to paying for online gaming... I think thats the biggest ripoff.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
20 dollars a year?? wat!

I don't think that would ever be used. Can you use the eshop without buying nintendo online account?

So that means we have to make a new nintendo account for the switch.... and do another .50 cent activation. Man I hate that.

Can you use minecraft online servers without the online service?

I know so little about nintendo stuff... I game on pc... consoles in the past so I'm not used to paying for online gaming... I think thats the biggest ripoff.

I have to imagine Mario Maker 2 would be quite terrible without it, unfortunately. No clue about Minecraft

It's not great, but it's not a terrible value proposition either given that the alternative would have been Nintendo charging $10 for Donkey Kong Country for the 15th time. It's ridiculous that it's a paid subscription service, but the games at least provide some value there.

I hate paying for online access, especially as someone who never plays online multiplayer. Nintendo is, at least, appropriately a fraction of the cost of the other services.

Reactions: LOGiK and EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I have to imagine Mario Maker 2 would be quite terrible without it, unfortunately. No clue about Minecraft

It's not great, but it's not a terrible value proposition either given that the alternative would have been Nintendo charging $10 for Donkey Kong Country for the 15th time. It's ridiculous that it's a paid subscription service, but the games at least provide some value there.

I hate paying for online access, especially as someone who never plays online multiplayer. Nintendo is, at least, appropriately a fraction of the cost of the other services.

Yeah having 'free' games kind of alleviates some of the 'what am I paying for exactly' aggravation there.

What does the online component of mario maker provide?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
You also get NES games with the Online Account. I really think it's worth the $20 a year. Especially if you find someone who would split that with you. For example, I think the family plan (or whatever it's called) can have 8 different users on it. I'm on my college friend's account who I haven't seen or spoken to in like 6 years. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You also get NES games with the Online Account. I really think it's worth the $20 a year. Especially if you find someone who would split that with you. For example, I think the family plan (or whatever it's called) can have 8 different users on it. I'm on my college friend's account who I haven't seen or spoken two in like 6 years. :laugh:
yeah me and some friends and folks from work at a "family" so it costs me like 3 or 4 dollars a year or something.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah having 'free' games kind of alleviates some of the 'what am I paying for exactly' aggravation there.

What does the online component of mario maker provide?

Access to other people's levels...which is where most of the fun of the game is unless you're one of the few who is naturally gifted at designing levels (I couldn't wait to design my own levels...but I suck at it, so the fun in those games for me is basically having an endless supply of 2D Mario levels).

You also get NES games with the Online Account. I really think it's worth the $20 a year. Especially if you find someone who would split that with you. For example, I think the family plan (or whatever it's called) can have 8 different users on it. I'm on my college friend's account who I haven't seen or spoken two in like 6 years. :laugh:

I forgot about the NES games, but they're in there too. It really isn't a bad package for the cost, just annoying.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

I want to say something there, but I don't want to be that guy =P

If wifey would split the 10/10 I'd be much happier =]
Same with my netflix account... I have two or three accounts from back in the military days... I thought it'd long disappear but it has remained. Haven't paid for my own netflix in ... ever... hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad