OT: HFJets Video Gamers Anonymous

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Yeah, absolutely brutal lol. I do wonder who a) has that kind of money and b) is willing to pay that money for access to the system when it’s likely to be back in stock within a month.

It seems like covid has got some people desperate. I bought the Animal Crossing Switch when it was first released on Amazon as an impulse, it was $40 over retail. I then sold my used day one switch on ebay. I wasn't aware that switches were out of stock everywhere. It sold for as much as I just bought the other switch for. I was shocked. Paying retail for a 2 year old well used switch.

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Just decided to get "back into" gaming, and picked up "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" because I felt I needed a story-driven game.

It's a little too story-driven. I feel like I'm just clicking through cutscenes.

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
My daughter is hooked on Stardew Valley.

My Daughter!

ticket.jpg

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

cam7aylor

Jan 26, 2016
Mainly a PC gamer here's what i've been playing mostly during the lockdown
Shooters: Apex Legends, Overwatch, Paladins
MMO: WoW, OSRS, FF14

Console: FF7R, RDR2, Nier Automata

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It seems like covid has got some people desperate. I bought the Animal Crossing Switch when it was first released on Amazon as an impulse, it was $40 over retail. I then sold my used day one switch on ebay. I wasn't aware that switches were out of stock everywhere. It sold for as much as I just bought the other switch for. I was shocked. Paying retail for a 2 year old well used switch.

Resale on almost any Nintendo product will be pretty good, even without a pandemic. The older systems and games hold their value and many games will sell for a lot of bucks. I sold my old beat up Gamecube with no controllers, games, nothing, just the cube for $60. Doesn't surprise me you were able to sell a used Switch f0r that much because of the Covid shortage.

We also bought an Animal Crossing Switch last month. Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an amazing game, I haven't played a Zelda game since 2007 so I've been really enjoying it. I enjoy Animal Crossing also, just not as much as my wife haha.

I initially shrugged at the system, but now I haven't turned my X-Box on for a month lol.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
If you have a PS4/5 I highly recommend Ghost of Tsushima. 3rd person open world samurai game based on the Mongol invasion of Japan in 1274. Tremendous story, great action, top notch character development.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Best Buy has some good Black Friday deals on games, i just bought 3 , going to be a long winter. :help: Free delivery over 35 bucks too .

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
If you have a PS4/5 I highly recommend Ghost of Tsushima. 3rd person open world samurai game based on the Mongol invasion of Japan in 1274. Tremendous story, great action, top notch character development.
Kinda wish I had saved it for PS5, but I don’t really have the desire to sink another 40 hours into it. I played it almost immediately after TLOU2, so felt it lacked polish for the first few hours. Then I came to the realization that it does so many little things, quality of life things, so well, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don’t typically Platinum games, but I did for Tsushima.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Best Buy has some good Black Friday deals on games, i just bought 3 , going to be a long winter. :help: Free delivery over 35 bucks too .

We also bought 3 Switch games from Best Buy that were on sale for $49.99, need to keep busy until Spring lol. Bought the wife a Fitbit charge 4 for her birthday from there also, she needed and upgrade on her old one and they had a good deal on them.

Amazing all this extra pocket money I have from not going to Jets games and not making ticket payments :naughty:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
It’s being delivered tomorrow! After hm’ing and haw’ing about it last week I realized I’ve spent hardly any money as of late and the pandemic isn’t going anywhere, so I might as well treat myself.

I will share some thoughts tomorrow/Tuesday!
For anyone who was curious about some random HFJets fans’ review of the PS5:

I’ve had the console for a week now and admittedly have stuck to only a few games. Played through Astro’s Playroom, essentially a demo for the new DualSense controller/homage to previous generations of PlayStation. Very fun and really gives a sense of what can be accomplished with the controller. The rumble in the DualSense is so strong yet precise. Without feeling it in your hands it’s tough to articulate, but here’s a couple of scenarios. 1) Walking through grass creates a tickling sensation on the hands 2) walking on metal/glass makes a more precise TING with each step 3) triggers have really nice resistance, and would differ in tension for things like shooting a gun, accelerating a car, or using a rocket.

Games and fast-travels are crazy quick. I played through Spider-Man: Miles Morales over the weekend and was astounded how quickly it could populate an area on the other side of NYC. I’m talking 6 seconds, maybe? Gone are the days of waiting on a loading screen cycling through useless “tips” or checking emails on your phone.

There will be some getting used to regarding the UI - takes far too many buttons to put the console into rest mode - but there’s also some big improvements. Both the PlayStation store and trophies menus take no time at all to open, which is a major upgrade from last gen.

Feel free to ask any questions if you’re interested!

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
For anyone who was curious about some random HFJets fans’ review of the PS5:

I’ve had the console for a week now and admittedly have stuck to only a few games. Played through Astro’s Playroom, essentially a demo for the new DualSense controller/homage to previous generations of PlayStation. Very fun and really gives a sense of what can be accomplished with the controller. The rumble in the DualSense is so strong yet precise. Without feeling it in your hands it’s tough to articulate, but here’s a couple of scenarios. 1) Walking through grass creates a tickling sensation on the hands 2) walking on metal/glass makes a more precise TING with each step 3) triggers have really nice resistance, and would differ in tension for things like shooting a gun, accelerating a car, or using a rocket.

Games and fast-travels are crazy quick. I played through Spider-Man: Miles Morales over the weekend and was astounded how quickly it could populate an area on the other side of NYC. I’m talking 6 seconds, maybe? Gone are the days of waiting on a loading screen cycling through useless “tips” or checking emails on your phone.

There will be some getting used to regarding the UI - takes far too many buttons to put the console into rest mode - but there’s also some big improvements. Both the PlayStation store and trophies menus take no time at all to open, which is a major upgrade from last gen.

Feel free to ask any questions if you’re interested!
Is it worth over 700 bucks after taxes? That's too rich for my blood.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Is it worth over 700 bucks after taxes? That's too rich for my blood.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I’m in a DINK situation where I work from home all day, and will likely continue even after COVID is over. If I hadn’t bought it now, I would have done so when back in stock sometime in January 2021 at the same price. I play a good amount of the newest AAA titles shortly after release, and can now continue to do so with the games performing how they should be experienced. I’m sure I’ll sink 150+ hours into Cyberpunk: 2077 once it’s out in two weeks.

It’s pricey, but I’ve got little else to do right now and am not spending $200 a month on Jets home game between tickets + beer lol.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I managed to snag a Xbox Series X Friday from ebgames.ca, very very excited. Says it has been shipped so should be here soon! I'll let you guys know how it is. I also bought a 55" LG CX OLED, that is also not in yet so I'm waiting on my gaming set up lol.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
NHL 21 , Last of us 2 and the Avengers games will be here sometime today. :nod: I can't believe how fast that was, i just ordered yesterday.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think alot of us sometimes plays vid people are going to be playing alot over the next 5 months , or for me, until golf season starts. :laugh:

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
NHL 21 , Last of us 2 and the Avengers games will be here sometime today. :nod: I can't believe how fast that was, i just ordered yesterday.
People still buy hardcopy video games??? Why when it's cheaper to download them (also no tax) also they load faster off of the HD

Same people that complain about digital sports/concert tickets I guess

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
People still buy hardcopy video games??? Why when it's cheaper to download them (also no tax) also they load faster off of the HD

All games are installed on the HDD/SSD regardless of whether they're digital or physical.

Also, if you don't have great internet it's less of a pain in the ass to delete your games after you're done with them and reinstall them later. It would take me 24-36 hours to download TLOU2.

Digital taxes vary by platform and location. Physical games also go on sale too.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Some people like having a physical game collection on their shelf. Some people like trading games with people they know. Some people like to sell their used games to get some of the cash back.

There is tax on digital games, where are you getting that from?

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I like having the actual game, these were cheap because of black Friday plus you can trade them in for credit towards new games. I do download too sometimes .

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Some people like having a physical game collection on their shelf. Some people like trading games with people they know. Some people like to sell their used games to get some of the cash back.

There is tax on digital games, where are you getting that from?
Agreed and i bought the Spiderman game online and paid tax on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad