OT: HFJets Video Gamers Anonymous

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Of all the things I did in RDR2, I enjoyed this much the most. Long time poker junkies might appreciate this one :P

I was playing poker in the saloon. Picked up a AQ, raised, got 3 bet by the AI. Flop came Q36, I bet, AI jams, I call.

AI had 5-2 offsuit, and flopped a gutshot straight, which he immediately gets when the 4 comes on the turn.

And without hesitation, I got up from the table, pulled out my irons and put about 20 pounds of lead into the guy before the rest of the tavern pretty much mob-rolled me.

In retrospect, I wish I had hit that Share button, it probably would have made for a fun clip. I'd try and stage it again but the magic just.. wouldn't be there.

I'm being dead serious when I say the very first hand of blackjack I played in RDR2 I got a 21. I was pretty happy until the dealer reveals his last card which also put him at exactly 21 as well.

Maybe I should have reacted the same way as you, bastard was clearly cheating. But I was playing an honorable Arthur and didn't kill innocent people unless the story railroaded me into it.

Reactions: tacogeoff

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I guess I'm old school. I still have my Atari 2600 and games in my basement. Maybe I should set it up and play?
giphy.gif

P.S. The M Network's Lock N Chase was my favourite game.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I’ve been a die-hard PlayStation fan since the original was released. For a while I was only playing casually, i.e. lots of NHL HUT or Franchise mode. Over the last couple years I’ve been able to knock out quite a few of the AAA titles.

Uncharted series, TLOU, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, The Witcher 3, and most recently RDR2.

I still can’t get over the sprawling beauty of RDR2 - some nights I would simply explore the country on horseback. Such a relaxing atmosphere (at times), with an incredible story and graphics.

Excited for TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima.
RDR2 and GTAV are absolutely magnificent.

Not sure if anyone is into Minecraft but these guys bumped up the chunk sizes and have recreated the earth TO SCALE. Now they are encouraging gamers to play the world and help them build all the man made structures. It's truly staggering that they were able to do this.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
RDR2 and GTAV are absolutely magnificent.

Not sure if anyone is into Minecraft but these guys bumped up the chunk sizes and have recreated the earth TO SCALE. Now they are encouraging gamers to play the world and help them build all the man made structures. It's truly staggering that they were able to do this.

There is an old proverb about the game of chess which I think might even apply more to Minecraft -- it is a sea which a gnat may drink from and an elephant may bathe in. It's rewarding enough for small goofing around, but when people who have the drive and the dedication do something like this, it makes it clear just how staggering the game can scale up to.

Reactions: Jet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Been ripping up NBA 2k20. First NBA game I've ever bought but man is 2K light years ahead of anything EA is doing. Their career mode makes me never want to play another EA career mode ever again. Their franchise mode is probably the most robust, free and fun franchise mode out there and their online play is way ahead of anything EA is doing. Even the way they recognize different play types make it so much better.

Make me wonder how much further ahead their NHL 2k series would be if it was still around. One can only hope that one day they return to the series and give it the attention a hockey game deserves. They obviously have their own ultimate team mode but it is not the only thing they focus on unlike EA.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Been ripping up NBA 2k20. First NBA game I've ever bought but man is 2K light years ahead of anything EA is doing. Their career mode makes me never want to play another EA career mode ever again. Their franchise mode is probably the most robust, free and fun franchise mode out there and their online play is way ahead of anything EA is doing. Even the way they recognize different play types make it so much better.

Make me wonder how much further ahead their NHL 2k series would be if it was still around. One can only hope that one day they return to the series and give it the attention a hockey game deserves. They obviously have their own ultimate team mode but it is not the only thing they focus on unlike EA.

I doubt it'll ever happen. High quality games cost so much more to make now and NHL games are really a niche market, I really doubt there's room for both at this stage.

On an unrelated note, perpetual boredom from self isolating has gotten me to look into building a "budget" gaming PC (it'll still cost me over $800 when all is said and done) and I never really looked into how expensive Windows on its own is. $189 alone for the operating system is a pretty big bummer. At least when you look at an expensive CPU or GPU you can imagine how awesome the performance would be, Windows is just getting the damn thing to function at all. Lame.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Been jamming a few games on Switch and also started playing Age of Empires II online with my cousin back home. I'm still pretty slow at the game but it's been a blast.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Also, anyone else have a nap today so that they can go like gangbusters when Persona 5 Royal goes live in about 1:15? Just me? Meh.
Love Persona but can't afford that price tag right now. How is it?

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Finally bought and downloaded Red Dead Redemption 2, it was on sale for 50% off in the Xbox store. Plan on tearing into it this weekend.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

It's a bit easy though, isn't it? MyCareer that is.

Or rather, the difficulty depends more on your position than it does on the difficulty level you choose to play on. I'm up to 4 quadruple doubles with my C halfway through a season, while I'm up to... just about 4 three pointers with my "sharpshooting" PG some 10 games in.

Don't get me wrong, it's the best sports game I've played, period. I'm just a bit iffy about how exploitable it is as a big man. Of course, that might change if you play online.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's a bit easy though, isn't it? MyCareer that is.

Or rather, the difficulty depends more on your position than it does on the difficulty level you choose to play on. I'm up to 4 quadruple doubles with my C halfway through a season, while I'm up to... just about 4 three pointers with my "sharpshooting" PG some 10 games in.

Don't get me wrong, it's the best sports game I've played, period. I'm just a bit iffy about how exploitable it is as a big man. Of course, that might change if you play online.

Big men are a little bit broken. But it's definitely easier to get stats with the big man and level up quicker. I have a mid-range SF and I'm just past the all-star break in season 1 and I'm putting up like 50 points a game with 10 assists. My guy has wicked speed though, especially with the ball and I can drop like 6-7 3's a game now and regularly finish hard at the rim also throw up some circus layups pretty frequently. I started off pretty slow but by game 15 or so I was dropping 30 regularly. I ended up having a 78 point game, good for 3rd all time in a game, and since then 50 isn't hard. Already leading the league in points, Giannis who?

I don't think they want you to grind to hard, as such a big part of the game is online and people might lose interest if the grind is keeping them from being competitive after a full season. You can sim some games in there to make it a little bit more realistic and make your progression slower. I found after the first couple of games I was pretty much winning every single game.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Posting here first before dealing with the depths of Kijiji during a global pandemic... :help:

Bought a PS5 this week and am wanting to sell my PS4 Pro 1TB (Limited Edition Destiny 2, White) + some games to offset some of the cost. PS4 would come with two controllers. Everything works perfectly fine, original cords, and I still have the original box kicking around in the garage. Looking for $350 for the console + controllers.

I've got a number of games I'd be willing to part with for relatively cheap too:

Destiny 2
God of War (2018)
The Last Guardian
Fallout 4
Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy

Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested -- would be willing to meet within Winnipeg while adhering to social distancing!

Reactions: JetsHockeyHero

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Posting here first before dealing with the depths of Kijiji during a global pandemic... :help:

Bought a PS5 this week and am wanting to sell my PS4 Pro 1TB (Limited Edition Destiny 2, White) + some games to offset some of the cost. PS4 would come with two controllers. Everything works perfectly fine, original cords, and I still have the original box kicking around in the garage. Looking for $350 for the console + controllers.

I've got a number of games I'd be willing to part with for relatively cheap too:

Destiny 2
God of War (2018)
The Last Guardian
Fallout 4
Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy

Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested -- would be willing to meet within Winnipeg while adhering to social distancing!
I have a PS4 but would buy your PS5 . :naughty: How do you like it ? For 650 bucks it better be unreal.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I have a PS4 but would buy your PS5 . :naughty: How do you like it ? For 650 bucks it better be unreal.
It’s being delivered tomorrow! After hm’ing and haw’ing about it last week I realized I’ve spent hardly any money as of late and the pandemic isn’t going anywhere, so I might as well treat myself.

I will share some thoughts tomorrow/Tuesday!

Reactions: Jets 31

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
It’s being delivered tomorrow! After hm’ing and haw’ing about it last week I realized I’ve spent hardly any money as of late and the pandemic isn’t going anywhere, so I might as well treat myself.

I will share some thoughts tomorrow/Tuesday!

How did you beat the bots?!

I've given up hope of getting it before New Year's, and even after that it'll be difficult.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
How did you beat the bots?!

I've given up hope of getting it before New Year's, and even after that it'll be difficult.
Scooped it through Amazon via mobile. Just so happened to step away from my work computer for a moment, saw a Tweet with a link to the active listing that had been posted moments before, and lucked out.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Just out of curiosity I looked up the PS5 on Amazon and it said stock available. I didn't let myself get too excited because lo and behold when I clicked on it all the available units were being sold by third party retailers starting at $1700.

f***in scalpers man. :laugh:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Just out of curiosity I looked up the PS5 on Amazon and it said stock available. I didn't let myself get too excited because lo and behold when I clicked on it all the available units were being sold by third party retailers starting at $1700.

f***in scalpers man. :laugh:
Yeah, absolutely brutal lol. I do wonder who a) has that kind of money and b) is willing to pay that money for access to the system when it’s likely to be back in stock within a month.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, absolutely brutal lol. I do wonder who a) has that kind of money and b) is willing to pay that money for access to the system when it’s likely to be back in stock within a month.
With Covid i bet some parents will say it's worth it to keep my kid happy and at home especially at Christmas. :laugh:

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I'm in my early 40's. Been PCMR for most of it. Worked for ATI back in the day and for 3 years was my dream job. Got laid off and could never really get a fair shake in the tech sector so now it's basically my hobby.

I've had a few consoles mainly for NHL and NBA games but I think I'm pretty much done with them. PS3 was my last one. With the consoles pretty much PCs now I'll stick with my PC which I can upgrade / fix if needed.

Currently working my way through Outer World's since it finally came to steam. I absolutely refuse to buy anything off epic game store.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad