OT: HFJets Video Gamers Anonymous

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
I have recently became interested in the Xbox one. Its a great way to connect with my 14 yr old son and we have some pretty intense games of NHL 20 and the EA golf. Both amazing games

About a month ago I began playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and that game seriously blows my mind. The detail and realism are second to none. It is a vey time consuming game however I own a roofing company so time is something I have a lot of over the winter months.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have recently became interested in the Xbox one. Its a great way to connect with my 14 yr old son and we have some pretty intense games of NHL 20 and the EA golf. Both amazing games

About a month ago I began playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and that game seriously blows my mind. The detail and realism are second to none. It is a vey time consuming game however I own a roofing company so time is something I have a lot of over the winter months.

I do love the Xbox game pass, lots of content for 10 bucks a month. I haven't bought a physical game disc in probably 3 years

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Currently I am mostly playing battlefield V online which has turned out to be one of the best fps games I have played on ps4. Also i am playing alot of madden 20 in a friend's online league. Really enjoyed red dead redemption 2

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I'm what one might consider a "hardcore" gamer and spend far more time playing video games than I likely should. Oh well.

Currently I am replaying the Mass Effect trilogy on my 360 (greatest video game trilogy of all time, change my mind). I also play Civ 6 on my PS4 regularly and play Modern Warfare with my brother.

The double whammy of The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 getting delayed seriously bummed me out.

I'm also an avid achievement/trophy hunter and have 31 platinum trophies on PS4 (and counting).

As a kid I probably put over a month of real world time into Runescape alone. I still play Old School Runescape occasionally, I f***ing love that game.

In the last year I've tried to branch out my hobbies a bit more since my life basically consisted entirely of work, watching hockey, and playing video games. I finally got back into reading again a bit over a year ago and started exercising in a somewhat dedicated manner in August. Still won't apologize for how much I game :razz:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Try Historical Immersion Project mod for Crusader Kings 2. Greatly enhances the content and gameplay. (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/historical-immersion-project.845/)

Did you ever play Civ4? That was the best entry and has two amazing mods, DOC (Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization) and Caveman2Cosmos (Caveman 2 Cosmos). Better than 6 with those add ons, DOC in particular is very very well done. All are still being actively updated as well.

Don't even get me started over Firaxis X-Com vs original X-Com...

YES - Rhye's and Fall is still epic. I have to admit, I'm digging Civ 6 - 5 was a letdown after 4's amazing moddability, but I like the way cities grow in 6 and the political system is at least a functioning & enjoyable mechanic.

The original X-Com was my first 'ironman' experience; you learn or die. I actually don't mind Firaxis X-Com (I wish the stealth mechanic was more developed in 2) - and I'll admit I actually really enjoy making custom soldiers. I made all my siblings & in-laws, my kids (they're teens, I'm not scarring them too much with violent video games), and all the main characters from RWBY (fun cartoon from Rooster Teeth - 1st season is a bit kid-ish, like a FF8, though I appreciate the most Epic good fight in history, but season 2 is really well written). That said, the originals felt more challenging and tactical.

I had really liked where UFOAI was going (open source spiritual successor), but I think that project stalled out a bit - maybe I'll have to check up on it again...

Reactions: Jedub

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
YES - Rhye's and Fall is still epic. I have to admit, I'm digging Civ 6 - 5 was a letdown after 4's amazing moddability, but I like the way cities grow in 6 and the political system is at least a functioning & enjoyable mechanic.

The original X-Com was my first 'ironman' experience; you learn or die. I actually don't mind Firaxis X-Com (I wish the stealth mechanic was more developed in 2) - and I'll admit I actually really enjoy making custom soldiers. I made all my siblings & in-laws, my kids (they're teens, I'm not scarring them too much with violent video games), and all the main characters from RWBY (fun cartoon from Rooster Teeth - 1st season is a bit kid-ish, like a FF8, though I appreciate the most Epic good fight in history, but season 2 is really well written). That said, the originals felt more challenging and tactical.

I had really liked where UFOAI was going (open source spiritual successor), but I think that project stalled out a bit - maybe I'll have to check up on it again...

Theres always Xenonauts ;)
6 is better than 5, but I can never go back after DOC and C2C. That, and I hid my pc away so I'd stop playing so much :p

Reactions: FonRiesen

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The two video games that were the biggest ones or favorite ones I played was Zelda and EA NHL hockey......of course played many others before and after them.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The two video games that were the biggest ones or favorite ones I played was Zelda and EA NHL hockey......of course played many others before and after them.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were outstanding. Between Zelda and Japanese RPGs, I didn't have time for anything else growing up. I'm very pumped about this Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I wish Xbox had a legit baseball game, I love playing FIFA but I'm jealous of my Playstation buddies who have MLB The Show. Might have to get a PlayStation as well but my wife thinks I'm an idiot. Although I'm not sure the two are connected.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Have a Wii but when your 9 old son (at the time) started kicking my tail, it was time to retire

having said that, Sux Jr plays Xbox with a number of Assassin’s Creed games .....

Reactions: Ducky10

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Pathological habit to annual semi-compulsory playthrough of Ultima VI bothers me. Not because the habit itself, but because there are nothing in the game I wouldn't already played through dozens of time. Wake up from your bed in this world. Hallucinate a little bit with apparitions and... Blah, blah, killing hundreds of trolls, headlesses, and bandits in solo mode, blah, some sailing and teleporting, blah, blah, free shrines, blah, blah, get characters to 8th level, blah, blah, blah, roam through same dungeons in same order than sooooooo many times before, blah, blah, go to the underworld, get some stuff and Behlem, blah, blah, train Behlem to 8th level, blah, blah, gather stuff for and make a balloon, blah, blah, blah, already 3 full spell books (you still need one, and not full as you need only few spells to beat the game), blah, blah, blah, at this point all map pieces are collected already and swamp cave is already explored - probably twice... blah, blah, blah, then you have a mega hoard of valuables in your room in the Lord British's Castle (and possibly also all corpses available in the game world, only Minax and ilks know why)... blah, blah, blah, when the game starts lag seriously and/or collapses because of your accumulated hoard (you do nothing as all f***ing characters are already been in fully equipped with magical armors and best stuff long time ago with XP 9999 at 8th level) you then reluctantly stop your grinding and go to the Codex to see same climatic end scene animation...

This is synopsis of it. But... (I forget mention swamp boots! Dammit!)

A year or so later you do that same again, only to do that same again... and again... and again...

And I'm annoyed that I couldn't develop that same pathos for Star Control II (preferably SCII - Urquan Masters), the game that would earn such habitual repeats too.

But that is very mild and tame compared to what it can be with PC Elite Plus, the worst of these three games, by fair margin! I do not even start with that... lol. :D

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My intense gaming days are behind me...

Now I indulge myself with slower developing, strategic, learn or die strategy games for the most part....

My present library consists of mainly Steam discounts in said genres...

Xcom steam versions I still play for nostalgia and reminders of how to die in every way possible...

Silent Hunter 3 to 5.... nothing like being a Sub Commander working his way through a war to certain death...

And last year I picked up Witcher 3 Wild Hunt off steam the full blown package; a great buy at the price as the scope and inventiveness of this game is mind blowing, a lot of fun to just hack, slash, spell your way around a massive imaginary world...

Now I am onto Steel Division 2...

I was a Steel Panthers guy when board war gaming went computer... Steel Division 2 and 44 can kill your real life if you would let it, but is so complex and dynamic for the right masochist...

I am that said masochist...

:popcorn:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Pretty big into colony management games lately. Rimworld and Oxygen not Included are games I've played for years that I feel like I'll never really stop going back to.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I am that said masochist...

:popcorn:

Oh. That was the word I was searching. Lately I spent several days to trying to break PC Elite Plus speed run world record (of mine. 2h 43mins) only to fail miserably tens and tens of attempts. Even little old school gaming masochist in me was very frustrated, and thus the masochist went to a pub and after absolutely too many pints of beer the drunken masochist managed somehow come back to home. Then the little Elite Commander masochist started to play the game again... I can't honestly remember the start of the following video. However the frustrated drunken little Elite gamer masochist apparently decided that now it is good time to fly around 8 galaxies with no pauses and see how long it takes. At least the pilot was renamed appropriately.

Video production was hilarious to watch next day in hellish above average hangover.

Don't worry. Don't waste your time and go to details. Its enough if understanding that was "the end" of hardcore grinding for the speedrun world record, during several days of near continuous masochism and voluntarily self-induced mental tress with this piece of retro game and version of Classical Elite. :laugh:

I've spent about a total of 5-6 months of my life - in real time 24/7 - with that game since mid 90's, and the clock is still counting... :huh:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Oh. That was the word I was searching. Lately I spent several days to trying to break PC Elite Plus speed run world record (of mine. 2h 43mins) only to fail miserably tens and tens of attempts. Even little old school gaming masochist in me was very frustrated, and thus the masochist went to a pub and after absolutely too many pints of beer the drunken masochist managed somehow come back to home. Then the little Elite Commander masochist started to play the game again... I can't honestly remember the start of the following video. However the frustrated drunken little Elite gamer masochist apparently decided that now it is good time to fly around 8 galaxies with no pauses and see how long it takes. At least the pilot was renamed appropriately.

Video production was hilarious to watch next day in hellish above average hangover.

Don't worry. Don't waste your time and go to details. Its enough if understanding that was "the end" of hardcore grinding for the speedrun world record, during several days of near continuous masochism and voluntarily self-induced mental tress with this piece of retro game and version of Classical Elite. :laugh:

I've spent about a total of 5-6 months of my life - in real time 24/7 - with that game since mid 90's, and the clock is still counting... :huh:

I am long past that in my life...

I am now onto only reminding myself of what being a masochist is....

Thus the long play... slower developing... pretty much impossible, subtle games...

I do it when I need that sense of humility...

Two years ago I ended my World of Tanks endeavour... not because I didn't enjoy it.... not because I didn't get a thrill... not because it took up too much time...

Because when you are good... really good... with or without good teammates...

You only survive 54 % to 58 % of the time...

If you put that into the context of real world conflict... that should remind you of what real war is like...

Real conflict is so much worse...

I had proven the sheer folly of the pursuit of mastering chaos was hollow...

I can stare at a sunrise or sunset and listen to beautiful music for hours now and it holds so much more meaning...

And more importantly... I get it...

;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Se829ne

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
@John Agar ;) You get it, I know.

It is not solely about plain simple primitive game addiction and getting stuck to something ancient and habitual. For me that game can be at its best act like a vehicle to a deep mental state of total concentration, to transcendental meditative experience. Something where I can easily achieve FLOW. Above posted drunken flight isn't exactly the best example what I mean, lol! but that game is so deeply ingrained to my nervo system that I can still play it when I don't anymore can be sure how to walk. :laugh:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were outstanding. Between Zelda and Japanese RPGs, I didn't have time for anything else growing up. I'm very pumped about this Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Guessing we're probably around the same age, because this describes exactly me as well.

I wish Xbox had a legit baseball game, I love playing FIFA but I'm jealous of my Playstation buddies who have MLB The Show. Might have to get a PlayStation as well but my wife thinks I'm an idiot. Although I'm not sure the two are connected.

You're in luck, Sony and the MLB came out with a statement in December that The Show will be coming to other consoles as part of their new deal. Sony still makes the game (and gets all the moneys related to it) but Microsoft and Nintendo both retweeted the announcement, so expect the 2021 version of the game to be on Xbox.

Sony's PlayStation-Exclusive MLB The Show is Going Multiplatform

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Guessing we're probably around the same age, because this describes exactly me as well.

You're in luck, Sony and the MLB came out with a statement in December that The Show will be coming to other consoles as part of their new deal. Sony still makes the game (and gets all the moneys related to it) but Microsoft and Nintendo both retweeted the announcement, so expect the 2021 version of the game to be on Xbox.

Sony's PlayStation-Exclusive MLB The Show is Going Multiplatform
Sweet! Thanks for that, good news!

Reactions: MardyBum

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I think this game will be cool. With this, Disco Elysium, and Cyberpunk all hitting consoles this year, I think people who enjoy choice driven games can look forward to a fun year.

Reactions: Atoyot

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don’t game but I am interested to see what happens as VR, mostly AR, and 5G converge on the space.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Haven’t played as much as I used to, school is much too intense right now. I try to play NHL 20 Franchise mode in my spare time. I also like playing Madden but I haven’t picked up a new game in a few years, I only have Madden 18. Will probably have to get Madden 21 this year.

RDR 2 is amazing. GTA V too. I still play a lot of the games I played as a teen — GTA IV, Black Ops 1, Rock Band 3, RDR1 — even it’s just for nostalgia at this point.

The Switch is a great party system. I’ve been meaning to play it more but my favourites right now are the classics: Smash, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.

I’m also into retro gaming and bust out the NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis more often than most. So many fun little games on those consoles.

I’ll play more when school is out for the summer.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I’m an entrepreneur in the games and technology businesses so I’ve played my fair share of games. I’ve also implemented several emulators, the latest is called PeNES (Perfectly Emulated Nintendo Entertainment System).

Yet the only thing I really play nowadays is the Hockey Ultimate Team mode in NHL on the PlayStation. It’s great as you collect hockey cards and use them to build your team. It’s also fiercely competitive and a money sink if you start paying for packs. The game really isn’t all that great but hey, it’s NHL!

Kent C Tugood

Not Quite Dead Yet
Jan 1, 2012
Doontoon
(Busts in out of nowhere)

I've been known to have played a wide variety of games over the years, though I've found these days I don't play as much, but if you look in the right dregs of the internet, you just might see me rulin' the roost online.

If I was going to advocate some games for you all to play, I'd recommend the following:
- Super Blood Hockey; a more violent take of NES' Ice Hockey. Features a Franchise Mode!
- Wreckfest; a game where you crash your car demolition-derby-esque, and it won't cause you grief with MPI.
- Papers Please; Who knew being a Soviet-esque border guard would be so riveting?
- ORWELL; Probably one of the most interesting narratives in a game I've played.
- Supreme Commander; if you have the ability to focus on waaaaaaay too much stuff in a RTS.
- Finally Fantasy 3(SNES, or 6 otherwise); The best Final Fantasy, and I'm willing to brawl over this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad