OT: HFJets Video Gamers Anonymous

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I've been hooked on Crusader Kings 2 for years - I love the "choose your own adventure" style character building (with some really fun writing) along with the political/military simulation. It's a steep learning curve, but once you get past the overwhelm of trying to understand why anything is happening and how to get Cassus Bellis, the game turns into an epic multigenerational story. Looking forward to CK3, that might be the first game in decades that I'll only wait for a 50% off sale (instead of 65-90%)... I'm cheap, and have patience.

Thea (1 & 2) are more fun rpg's with strategy elements.

I used to play all the sports games back in the day, but I don't have time/hate EA. I used to love the 'Road to the Show"/play a character approach.

Been doing Civ 6 with my teens lately - I'm pretty impressed with it.

Invisible, Inc. is a fun squad game - cool art style, quick missions, some challenging gameplay. Recently got Mutant Year Zero, haven't played it much. Both are in the spirit of X-Com, which I'm a fan of, too.

Reactions: Jedub

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
My video game days are largely behind me, I used to love them years ago. NHL Hockey and first person shooter games and fantasy adventure games.

My kids now play video games some, albeit not as much as I used to.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I play games quite a bit, but I am in a "not playing anything at the moment" phase. I have been reading a lot this winter. Well, lots of comic books through the Marvel Unlimited app and I'm trying to get caught up on Star Wars novels. Not exactly Tolstoy, I know lol

Last new game that I played that I really enjoyed was The Outer Worlds. The game I was playing most recently was Far Cry: New Dawn but was finding it really redundant and haven't finished it yet. Usually when I get bored with a game I go into the don't want to play anything phase.

Reactions: Brominator

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I've always been more of a sports gamer, which I realize isn't actually a gamer. I never had the patience with fantasy or adventure games.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
As a mid 40s man, I'm not ashamed to say video games is my main relaxing hobby. Elder Scrolls Online is a phenomenal game if you're able to tolerate an MMO atmosphere.

I wanted to like Outer Worlds, and I did sort of as the setting/story was interesting, but I found the combat and inventory management tedious at best, and the tiny font even on my 65 inch TV just isn't good for these old eyes, and stopped probably halfway through the story.

The Civ franchise is always a consistent good time (although it doesn't change much from release to release).

Fortnite's a good way to show my grandson how 'pro' I am lol.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't play much anymore but i am playing the new Spiderman game on PS4 and loved the Uncharted series of games , Last of us 2 is coming soon and i will be buying that .

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been hooked on Crusader Kings 2 for years - I love the "choose your own adventure" style character building (with some really fun writing) along with the political/military simulation. It's a steep learning curve, but once you get past the overwhelm of trying to understand why anything is happening and how to get Cassus Bellis, the game turns into an epic multigenerational story. Looking forward to CK3, that might be the first game in decades that I'll only wait for a 50% off sale (instead of 65-90%)... I'm cheap, and have patience.

Thea (1 & 2) are more fun rpg's with strategy elements.

I used to play all the sports games back in the day, but I don't have time/hate EA. I used to love the 'Road to the Show"/play a character approach.

Been doing Civ 6 with my teens lately - I'm pretty impressed with it.

Invisible, Inc. is a fun squad game - cool art style, quick missions, some challenging gameplay. Recently got Mutant Year Zero, haven't played it much. Both are in the spirit of X-Com, which I'm a fan of, too.

Try Historical Immersion Project mod for Crusader Kings 2. Greatly enhances the content and gameplay. (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/historical-immersion-project.845/)

Did you ever play Civ4? That was the best entry and has two amazing mods, DOC (Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization) and Caveman2Cosmos (Caveman 2 Cosmos). Better than 6 with those add ons, DOC in particular is very very well done. All are still being actively updated as well.

Don't even get me started over Firaxis X-Com vs original X-Com...

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
As a mid 40s man, I'm not ashamed to say video games is my main relaxing hobby. Elder Scrolls Online is a phenomenal game if you're able to tolerate an MMO atmosphere.

I wanted to like Outer Worlds, and I did sort of as the setting/story was interesting, but I found the combat and inventory management tedious at best, and the tiny font even on my 65 inch TV just isn't good for these old eyes, and stopped probably halfway through the story.

The Civ franchise is always a consistent good time (although it doesn't change much from release to release).

Fortnite's a good way to show my grandson how 'pro' I am lol.

I definitely did not enjoy that small font on Outer Worlds either! But I enjoyed it because it felt like a spiritual sequel to Fallout 3 and FO: New Vegas and it wasn't overly long. Sometimes you just don't want to put 200 hours into a game like I did with Skyrim lol.

I tried to like Elder Scrolls online, but I found myself running around in the opening dungeon too much and I gave up. Still patiently waiting for Elder Scrolls 6

Edit: also a mid-40s man and use them as end of day downtime.

Reactions: KCjetsfan

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Anyone play any games? Looking forward to new releases? Any recommendations? Place video game discussion here.

Also, anyone play Hearthstone? :laugh:

I play Hearthstone!! Or at least I used to. Currently playing Gods Unchained which is also a card game but in Beta. It is Hearthstone meets MtG (Digital but you can trade and sell your cards through blockchain). Has a bunch of potential but their client is still buggy. I do have high hopes for it though and already managed to sell enough cards to make more than I put in :D

Outside of that I am FIFA all day!!

Edit: forgot to mention Football Manager which is probably the game I have sunk most hours into out of any game throughout my life.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Mostly on the iPad or phone for my games these days. I still have an XBox but it hasn't seen regular use since the Guitar Hero days.

Marvel Strike Force and Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes on the phone are my main time wasters.

This is a good idea, that people are starting some specific interest threads. I think I will start a comic book one and maybe a general collecting one, surely there must be some of us in here. I know @Guardian17 is as much into Marvel Comics and the MCU as I am, at the very least

Please do. I'm a horrific collector and need to start parting with some stuff. Comic books (largely MCU but some DC as well) would be included in that.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
PS4:
Played through Detroit Become Human a few times (your actions change the storyline). 10/10
Horizon Zero Dawn. Good story that kept me interested throughout. 10/10
Trying to play The Last Guardian, but having a hard time staying interested....no rating yet.

I much prefer games with definitive endings (plot driven), as opposed to quick games like NHL or racing (although those are good when someone drops by and wants to play something for 10 minutes).

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The releases lined up starting in March all the way through the next gen consoles coming out in November, it's gonna be a big year for gaming types.

The Last of Us 2 (they missed the opportunity for the creative sequel name of a lifetime with "The Second-Last Of Us")
Cyberpunk 2077
FF7 remaster
RE3 remaster

are just the first four I can think of without my wallet crawling off my desk looking for a place to hide.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Most of my gaming nowadays is decidedly retro (and that not very often). I do play a fair bit of Gran Turismo Sport still, but in a totally solitary way - all time trials and mostly just laps at Nürburgring. Love that epic track!

My list of favorite games ever would include Microsoft Flightsim 2004 ACOF, Grand Prix Legends, Pixeljunk Monsters, Gran Turismo, DOOM, Fruit Ninja, Pinball Arcade, Wipeout HD, Metal Slug...etc...

Last edited:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Pong

giphy.gif

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I have played hearthstone a bit. I like the concept of the game, and am (too) intimately familiar with the WOW universe, but it just hasn't hooked me. For card game I play elder scrolls legends, which has a few differentiating features from hearthstone that I prefer, but unfortunately that game is likely on its last legs as they've pulled development/support from it.

For anyone who has a nintendo switch and is exercise averse, like I am, I recommend Ring Fit Adventure. It actually has made me look forward to a 30 min exercise session for the first time in over 20 years. It's pretty cheesy but it's succeeded in tricking my mind and body into thinking i'm playing a video game instead of exercising.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I play Hearthstone!! Or at least I used to. Currently playing Gods Unchained which is also a card game but in Beta. It is Hearthstone meets MtG (Digital but you can trade and sell your cards through blockchain). Has a bunch of potential but their client is still buggy. I do have high hopes for it though and already managed to sell enough cards to make more than I put in :D

Outside of that I am FIFA all day!!

Edit: forgot to mention Football Manager which is probably the game I have sunk most hours into out of any game throughout my life.

I have played hearthstone a bit. I like the concept of the game, and am (too) intimately familiar with the WOW universe, but it just hasn't hooked me. For card game I play elder scrolls legends, which has a few differentiating features from hearthstone that I prefer, but unfortunately that game is likely on its last legs as they've pulled development/support from it.

For anyone who has a nintendo switch and is exercise averse, like I am, I recommend Ring Fit Adventure. It actually has made me look forward to a 30 min exercise session for the first time in over 20 years. It's pretty cheesy but it's succeeded in tricking my mind and body into thinking i'm playing a video game instead of exercising.

I like Hearthstone due to a long relationship with the Warcraft series, and it's a game I can play on my phone. I used to play lots of card games when I was a teenager, I was never any good at them though (except Pokemon I'm almost ashamed to say, I won a couple of local tournaments). It's moving into a bit of a pay-to-win type of game now, though, but I'm sort of insulated against that because I have enough of the more expensive cards to build decent decks with them. At this point, I'm usually more interested in watching the tournaments on Twitch and YouTube than playing.

I've seen some stuff about Gods Unchained, but I don't think I can control my spending enough so I'm going to stay away :laugh:

Reactions: DashingDane

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I like Hearthstone due to a long relationship with the Warcraft series, and it's a game I can play on my phone. I used to play lots of card games when I was a teenager, I was never any good at them though (except Pokemon I'm almost ashamed to say, I won a couple of local tournaments). It's moving into a bit of a pay-to-win type of game now, though, but I'm sort of insulated against that because I have enough of the more expensive cards to build decent decks with them. At this point, I'm usually more interested in watching the tournaments on Twitch and YouTube than playing.

I've seen some stuff about Gods Unchained, but I don't think I can control my spending enough so I'm going to stay away :laugh:

I encourage you (and the other Hearthstone folks) in this crowd to give Battlegrounds a try, it's Hearthstone's "auto battler" genre entry, it's a lot more simplified and it's very accessible. And it's a lot of fun. Probably spent 95% of my Hearthstone time in that mode.

Reactions: DashingDane

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I encourage you (and the other Hearthstone folks) in this crowd to give Battlegrounds a try, it's Hearthstone's "auto battler" genre entry, it's a lot more simplified and it's very accessible. And it's a lot of fun. Probably spent 95% of my Hearthstone time in that mode.

I've played that, it's fun. Lots of streamers are playing that too.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
A sports gamer is definitely a gamer :) I work with games and sports games are taken quite seriously at my workplace, and there’s a ton of prestige in beating each other in them.
Good to know, I’ll add that to my portfolio! Lol!

Seriously though, I thought sports games aficionados were frowned upon by the hardcore gamer community.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
My all time favorite game is megaman. I played them all and still do periodically.

Only game I'm playing now is zelda , breath of the wild. Pretty amazing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad