OT: HFJets Video Gamers Anonymous

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don’t have time to game much nowadays although when I was in younger I played lots of Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, Buzz Aldrin’s Race into Space, Civilization, Lords of the Realm, the Space Quest series.

Nowadays I will usually play one game once every week or so. My current game for the last 6 months or so has been STELLARIS. Excellent 4X game.

Previous to that I played a lot of Total War: Warhammer.

Before that was Blood Bowl. Played in a league over a summer and it was great fun.

I’m a huge medieval history buff but could never get into Crusader Kings II because of the learning curve and my inability to devote enough time to it. Plus I could never figure out how warfare worked and always got by butt kicked despite having larger armies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
(Busts in out of nowhere)

I've been known to have played a wide variety of games over the years, though I've found these days I don't play as much, but if you look in the right dregs of the internet, you just might see me rulin' the roost online.

If I was going to advocate some games for you all to play, I'd recommend the following:
- Super Blood Hockey; a more violent take of NES' Ice Hockey. Features a Franchise Mode!
- Wreckfest; a game where you crash your car demolition-derby-esque, and it won't cause you grief with MPI.
- Papers Please; Who knew being a Soviet-esque border guard would be so riveting?
- ORWELL; Probably one of the most interesting narratives in a game I've played.
- Supreme Commander; if you have the ability to focus on waaaaaaay too much stuff in a RTS.
- Finally Fantasy 3(SNES, or 6 otherwise); The best Final Fantasy, and I'm willing to brawl over this.
I'm a FF9 man myself, but that might just be the nostalgia factor since it's the one that got me into the series.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don’t have time to game much nowadays although when I was in younger I played lots of Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, Buzz Aldrin’s Race into Space, Civilization, Lords of the Realm, the Space Quest series.

Nowadays I will usually play one game once every week or so. My current game for the last 6 months or so has been STELLARIS. Excellent 4X game.

Before that was Blood Bowl. Played in a league over a summer and it was great fun.

I’m a huge medieval history buff but could never get into Crusader Kings II because of the learning curve and my inability to devote enough time to it. Plus I could never figure out how warfare worked and always got by butt kicked despite having larger armies.
Stellaris is fantastic.

Reactions: ERYX

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I usually go for plats in jrpgs. I used to get the sports games and cod games every year but with the yearly repetitiveness and glorified roster updates, I couldn't justify spending $80-$90 a pop anymore. Nor did I want to.

Reactions: YellowheadChiefs

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm a FF9 man myself, but that might just be the nostalgia factor since it's the one that got me into the series.

Me too, my favourite FF, I like the fantasy environment compared to the more "technological" 7 or 8.

Reactions: Atoyot

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The only modern system I don't own is Xbox One. I primarily play RPGs, but I do dabble in other genres. Looking forward to Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, and the Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town remake, whenever that gets released in NA.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

My very first games were the King's Quest series, but I enjoyed most of the Sierra games. Classic LucasArts stuff is pretty awesome, too. TIE Fighter's Secret Order plotline was so cool (getting tattoos as you rank up was clever). I spent a lot of hours on Lord's of the Realm 2, and the epic dance mix of all the units voices after completing the campaign blew my teen mind. XD

Reactions: ERYX

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I was laid off last Friday due to Covid and have been self isolating since Saturday, so naturally video games are one of the main ways I pass the time.

With the absence of the NHL I have a pretty big hockey craving, but since modern NHL games are just genuinely terrible I decided to get the classic NHL 2004. Man that game was ahead of it's time. While in detail it's not particularly realistic, I feel like games as a whole in 04 play way closer to real life than the modern games. Player stats actually matter and there's a far more tangible difference between good players and bad players.

I moved Atlanta to Winnipeg and am in my third season. Missed the playoffs the first 2 seasons but I loaded up on free agents. Heatley and Kovalchuk are nasty for me.

The only thing that's getting me is how hard they went in on the role playing meta game with upgrades and such. Your players lose so much effectiveness when your facilities are garbage.

Still though, I've had more fun in this than any of the EA NHL games that have come out on PS4/XBONE.

Reactions: Jets 31

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I can’t stand what EA has done to their NHL games, so I don’t buy or play those. I love first person shooters like COD, (I started playing them at #1) but games today have far to much talking and story telling in them... just give me a gun, drop me in a world, and tell me who the enemy is... then stay away and let me vent.
I play a lot of PUBG, and if I’m bored with no real idea what I want to do, I plug in Civ Revolution 2 and cause chaos or Assassins Creed 2 and go on a guard hunt.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I can’t stand what EA has done to their NHL games, so I don’t buy or play those. I love first person shooters like COD, (I started playing them at #1) but games today have far to much talking and story telling in them... just give me a gun, drop me in a world, and tell me who the enemy is... then stay away and let me vent.
I play a lot of PUBG, and if I’m bored with no real idea what I want to do, I plug in Civ Revolution 2 and cause chaos or Assassins Creed 2 and go on a guard hunt.

Have you tried the new Doom games?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Have you tried the new Doom games?
Not yet.
I have a hard time with the updated versions of old classics... I remember playing the old classics so I usually hate the updated version for some reason or another... though I kinda liked the Tomb Raider reboot, though the sequel to that was crap... to heavy on videos and story telling.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Last of us is a brilliant game , kinda fitting right now . :laugh: Last of us 2 comes out in May . :nod:

Reactions: Atoyot

spellchecker45

Oct 3, 2011
I was laid off last Friday due to Covid and have been self isolating since Saturday, so naturally video games are one of the main ways I pass the time.

With the absence of the NHL I have a pretty big hockey craving, but since modern NHL games are just genuinely terrible I decided to get the classic NHL 2004. Man that game was ahead of it's time. While in detail it's not particularly realistic, I feel like games as a whole in 04 play way closer to real life than the modern games. Player stats actually matter and there's a far more tangible difference between good players and bad players.

I moved Atlanta to Winnipeg and am in my third season. Missed the playoffs the first 2 seasons but I loaded up on free agents. Heatley and Kovalchuk are nasty for me.

The only thing that's getting me is how hard they went in on the role playing meta game with upgrades and such. Your players lose so much effectiveness when your facilities are garbage.

Still though, I've had more fun in this than any of the EA NHL games that have come out on PS4/XBONE.
hey you should search nhl2004rebuilt its a great modding community that updates the game to modern rosters and graphics with new jerseys, teams, ice ads, boards, sounds and menus. Its really awesome.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I’ve been a die-hard PlayStation fan since the original was released. For a while I was only playing casually, i.e. lots of NHL HUT or Franchise mode. Over the last couple years I’ve been able to knock out quite a few of the AAA titles.

Uncharted series, TLOU, God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, The Witcher 3, and most recently RDR2.

I still can’t get over the sprawling beauty of RDR2 - some nights I would simply explore the country on horseback. Such a relaxing atmosphere (at times), with an incredible story and graphics.

Excited for TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
hey you should search nhl2004rebuilt its a great modding community that updates the game to modern rosters and graphics with new jerseys, teams, ice ads, boards, sounds and menus. Its really awesome.

I'm familiar with it but haven't actually downloaded the mods yet. I'm not really a PC gamer, I'm still waiting on the xbox version to arrive in the mail since I have a lot of nostalgia associated with that version of the game. The base PC UI is actually amazingly terrible and not at all like the console version. You can't even customize your GM office, WTF is up with that?!?!

I know the mod fixes it so maybe I'll test it out another time. I also need to get a controller that works on PC because using a keyboard for this game is killing me. I have to play on easy or else I get slaughtered. I can't avoid the blatant hooking and tripping that the AI gets away with on medium using the arrow keys.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hooked on Warzone atm. Also still playing NHL 19 (more now that there's no hockey). I have built a formidible team featuring my top 2 lines:

Marner Scheifele Ehlers
Connor Point Laine

And my top 2 D pairs

Nurse Byfuglien
Chara Raycroft (21 year old computer generated player, rated an 83)

I lost Morrissey by not paying close enough attention in the offseason - the CANUCKS offer sheeted him :(

For some unknown reason the Bruins put Chara on waivers (1 year left at 2MM and still an 82) so I had to grab him.

Reactions: Jets 31

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I still can’t get over the sprawling beauty of RDR2 - some nights I would simply explore the country on horseback. Such a relaxing atmosphere (at times), with an incredible story and graphics.

They truly did a magnificent job of capturing so many of the essences of various parts of the USA at that time, and made something that was both recognizable yet truly unique. And I gotta say, riding into a huge-ass city like Saint Denis for the first time was just.. something else.

Reactions: SM

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
They truly did a magnificent job of capturing so many of the essences of various parts of the USA at that time, and made something that was both recognizable yet truly unique. And I gotta say, riding into a huge-ass city like Saint Denis for the first time was just.. something else.
The scale of the playable map really surprised me, and Saint Denis totally struck me after farting around towns like Valentine and Rhodes.

I suppose Rockstar has a knack for that, though. I remember thinking the same about GTA III, then San Andreas, and again with GTA V.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

YellowheadChiefs

Jan 31, 2019
Realized I really hate collecting trophies now and would often opt for multiplatform games for PS4 instead of Switch (which is my preferred console) just for them and even play games I don't like. So enough of that.

I really want Animal Crossing but no luck with anywhere, really craving that FFVII Remake but due to the virus I won't be getting it launch day, so I downloaded the OG FF VII to replay on Switch since it was like 10$.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The scale of the playable map really surprised me, and Saint Denis totally struck me after farting around towns like Valentine and Rhodes.

I suppose Rockstar has a knack for that, though. I remember thinking the same about GTA III, then San Andreas, and again with GTA V.

Of all the things I did in RDR2, I enjoyed this much the most. Long time poker junkies might appreciate this one :P

I was playing poker in the saloon. Picked up a AQ, raised, got 3 bet by the AI. Flop came Q36, I bet, AI jams, I call.

AI had 5-2 offsuit, and flopped a gutshot straight, which he immediately gets when the 4 comes on the turn.

And without hesitation, I got up from the table, pulled out my irons and put about 20 pounds of lead into the guy before the rest of the tavern pretty much mob-rolled me.

In retrospect, I wish I had hit that Share button, it probably would have made for a fun clip. I'd try and stage it again but the magic just.. wouldn't be there.

Reactions: Huffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad