HFJets STH renewal 2019

For those STH up for renewal this year, are you, or is your group renewing?

• Total voters

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
When they initially launched the program that was the case and I was happy to save up my points to eventually get a free jersey after 10 years. Then they changed it so your points expire after 5 years so you'll never really be able to save up points for the bigger things. (terrible decision imo and obviously made without any sort of focus group with the fan base) I get that they don't want these points to linger out there forever, but 5 years was way too short to be expiring the points when it was taking people 10 years or more to save up for the reward they wanted... and people were excited to do that.

And there are lots of ways this could have been handled without expiring the points. As another poster said, put a max on it, so you don't get someone saving up 1,000,000 points and cleaning out all the rewards. But make the max. still high enough to get any single reward available.

Or you could stipulate that only one reward over a certain amount can be redeemed each season. So if you have a lot of points you can't clean out the inventory.

Just get creative , instead of basically making it a rewards program for P1 or P2 STHs , and a contest redemption program for everyone else.

And, I do apologize in advance for having any criticisms of TNSE, because I've been told I should just be happy we have a team. :rolleyes:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
When they initially launched the program that was the case and I was happy to save up my points to eventually get a free jersey after 10 years. Then they changed it so your points expire after 5 years so you'll never really be able to save up points for the bigger things. (terrible decision imo and obviously made without any sort of focus group with the fan base) I get that they don't want these points to linger out there forever, but 5 years was way too short to be expiring the points when it was taking people 10 years or more to save up for the reward they wanted... and people were excited to do that.
...and that's a crime in itself for it to take so long to save up for something like that.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not really. If you can't afford it that's ok. But to say you won't support the team financially because your feelings are hurt. That's petty.

Not that I need your OK or owe anyone an explanation but...

This has nothing to do with either being unable to afford tickets or having my feelings hurt. Part of it is getting older and not feeling comfortable making a multi-year commitment to a group of people I like that we might not be able to meet. Part of it is being homebodies and wanting to limit the number of times we have to head out on a cold winter's night for entertainment. Part of it is missing the symphony and ballet, both of which we used to subscribe to and which we largely gave up in favour of supporting the Jets when they came to town. So, after this coming season, I expect us to go to more concerts and such and fewer hockey games.

In general, maybe try to realize that people make choices for a variety of reasons beyond the simple explanations that you can envision.

Reactions: Sabadecade

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Hey, if you pay taxes, you're already supporting the team - without receiving the benefit of actually going to a game!
The team also supports the taxpayer. What does an 80 million dollar payroll pay in income tax? Let alone property taxes and pst on million dollar houses.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Not that I need your OK or owe anyone an explanation but...

This has nothing to do with either being unable to afford tickets or having my feelings hurt. Part of it is getting older and not feeling comfortable making a multi-year commitment to a group of people I like that we might not be able to meet. Part of it is being homebodies and wanting to limit the number of times we have to head out on a cold winter's night for entertainment. Part of it is missing the symphony and ballet, both of which we used to subscribe to and which we largely gave up in favour of supporting the Jets when they came to town. So, after this coming season, I expect us to go to more concerts and such and fewer hockey games.

In general, maybe try to realize that people make choices for a variety of reasons beyond the simple explanations that you can envision.
Oh. The ballet. Now I get it. Lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The team also supports the taxpayer. What does an 80 million dollar payroll pay in income tax? Let alone property taxes and pst on million dollar houses.
Opponents of subsidies to pro sports often cite studies that say there's no real net economic benefit to having a team in a particular jurisdiction. This may be true. But I think the Jets bring in outside money that wouldn't be spent in-province otherwise - NHL shared revenues would be a piece, but also the money spent by visiting teams and their entourage, media covering games, visiting fans, etc. I don't know how much that adds up to in a year - probably a drop in the bucket in terms of provincial GDP...but any outside money is good money. Plus there's a benefit to raising the city's profile nationally and internationally. And this doesn't consider the real estate plays (Centrepoint, True North Square, Iceplex, etc.)...would those projects have gotten off the ground without the NHL's return?

On the flip-side, no David Thomson = no Winnipeg Jets.
I have no problems with the owners making a few bucks, but they can do that AND treat their life blood a little better.
I have no real problems with it either - but everyone paying taxes is contributing to the team. So there's no obligation beyond that to "buy season tickets if you can afford them or you're a traitor" or whatever the argument is...

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I have no real problems with it either - but everyone paying taxes is contributing to the team. So there's no obligation beyond that to "buy season tickets if you can afford them or you're a traitor" or whatever the argument is...
I certainly hope that's not an argument, cuz it's not a very good one! This thread alone shows that a lot of the ill feelings associated with shouldering the financial burden of the team on behalf of the city in general are not isolated.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
It was good to see everyone's perspective on this. Thanks for all your input! We had a group of four tickets up for renewal in P5 this year and only renewed two of them. We have requested relocation into P7's but our ticket rep absolutely refused to move us until the "relocation process" begins. He said this will be occurring in May.

To be clear, we had to commit to renewing first. I actually spoke with the Director of Ticketing and he said every effort would be made to relocate us into the price range we requested. We will see if they actually stay true to their word.

If we do end up getting stuck with our current P5's, it's okay...we can afford them...and we actually like our seats. But we would much rather have a lower overall cost as I feel it will be way easier to unload tickets at a cheaper price point.

One positive note that I will say about our ticket rep...he is responsive. Even if I'm not thrilled with all his answers to my questions, he does answer every one in a timely manner (within one business day). We could've decided to not renew anything this year, but we decided to renew two tickets anyway. We'll see if they're able to keep their word and move us to a section that's more suitable for us...

So...I have an update. We got moved from P5's to our requested P7's. Our ticket rep was awesome to deal with. We felt he worked hard to find a solution that worked for us. They WERE true to their word and I am thrilled with our new seats (especially at the price point). My kids are getting older now and I want to take them to more games (and send them to games with their Grandpa...whom I share the seats with). It makes it a heck of a lot easier at the P7 price point instead of the P5.

One point of interest...when I spoke with my ticket rep, he said about 50% of P5's that were up for renewal renewed this season. That shocked me!

IMO...that's gonna speak volumes to the management at TNSE. They can't ignore that...and it's gonna drain that wait list FAST! If you're on the wait list, I'd expect to get a call soon (likely with an offer for P5's). Once the wait list is gone, I expect TN to step up their game and provide other perks to ST holders and provide more "value" ala the Oilers. 50% has gotta be a much lower renewal number than they were expecting. I was guessing 80% and I thought that might be low...

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So...I have an update. We got moved from P5's to our requested P7's. Our ticket rep was awesome to deal with. We felt he worked hard to find a solution that worked for us. They WERE true to their word and I am thrilled with our new seats (especially at the price point). My kids are getting older now and I want to take them to more games (and send them to games with their Grandpa...whom I share the seats with). It makes it a heck of a lot easier at the P7 price point instead of the P5.

One point of interest...when I spoke with my ticket rep, he said about 50% of P5's that were up for renewal renewed this season. That shocked me!

IMO...that's gonna speak volumes to the management at TNSE. They can't ignore that...and it's gonna drain that wait list FAST! If you're on the wait list, I'd expect to get a call soon (likely with an offer for P5's). Once the wait list is gone, I expect TN to step up their game and provide other perks to ST holders and provide more "value" ala the Oilers. 50% has gotta be a much lower renewal number than they were expecting. I was guessing 80% and I thought that might be low...

*Gulp* I’m on the Wait List in the 600’s and want P7’s for reasons you stated above. I have no interest in P5’s because the there’s too many sight obstructions along the near boards and the price point is a little high...

Will be interesting if I get a call and what my options are...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
*Gulp* I’m on the Wait List in the 600’s and want P7’s for reasons you stated above. I have no interest in P5’s because the there’s too many sight obstructions along the near boards and the price point is a little high...

Will be interesting if I get a call and what my options are...

Limited...

You have the right to decline a seat offer only once. In the event you choose to decline the first seat offer, no other offer will be made available to you before the following season. If you decline a second seat offer, your name will be moved to the bottom of the priority ranking list for future season seat package opportunities.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Honestly I can’t see the renewal rate only being 50%. That would be catastrophic.

The poster said 50% of P5s renewed, not the entire arena. There are approximately 1600 seats in P5. Not sure how many of those were allocated for season tickets. Perhaps 90% so around 1450. If 50% renewed there might be another 700 or so seats available in that price range for renewal.

Has the renewal date for season ticket holders already passed? If not, maybe a few more will renew to boost that 50% number.

Last edited:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
The poster said 50% of P5s renewed, not the entire. There are approximately 1600 seats in P5. Not sure how many of those were allocated for season tickets. Perhaps 90% so around 1450. If 50% renewed there might be another 700 or so seats available in that price range for renewal.

Has the renewal date for season ticket holders already passed? If not, maybe a few more will renew to boost that 50% number.

I fully understand that, but being relatively “affordable” category then that would not be good news. Hopefully you’re right and the window hasn’t closed and the number will still go up.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I fully understand that, but being relatively “affordable” category then that would not be good news. Hopefully you’re right and the window hasn’t closed and the number will still go up.

I think renewals will be high for P1,P2, P6 and P7. P3s to P5s might be middling. I have already seen comments in the past from a few P3s that the increase in prices was becoming a hindrance. It would be interesting to find out what the renewal rates are for those mid-price ranges.

Sir Erdinger

Jul 24, 2012
Manitoba
I agree with so much that’s been said here. The price increases are getting... well I’ll say I’m losing respect for TNSE. Thank the hockey gods I “settled” for P6 seats. I’m happy where I am and couldn’t imagine paying what the lower bowl people are paying. I have a solid group that’ll ride it out for at least one more contract. But this season a whole lot more seats were put up for sale than all other season combined. It’s not just the ticket prices. Beer, food, parking, gas (not the Jets fault) when you live out of town is getting to be a burden. At 5% plus the increase of all other aspects I’m not sure how long this will be viable.

If it wasn’t for half price playoff tickets a few of us would be questions if we want to renew.

Reactions: flyingjay

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
I think renewals will be high for P1,P2, P6 and P7. P3s to P5s might be middling. I have already seen comments in the past from a few P3s that the increase in prices was becoming a hindrance. It would be interesting to find out what the renewal rates are for those mid-price ranges.
As someone who moved from P5 to P1 three years ago, I respectfully disagree. We have been in 2 different areas of P1 and contrary to the upper deck/lower deck diatribe, the vast majority of people sitting around us are not corporate STH but group STH as well as individuals who sell blocks to friends (like me) and maintain full seat control. The majority of people around us in both P1 areas live outside the perimeter as well. Most of those around us have actually decreased the number of seats (from 4 to 2 for example) that they have the past few years and people are talking about not renewing. Yes there are some corporate seats, but far fewer than people think. The general STH base in most sections in the arena are groups, TNSE has to ensure value for price at all ticket levels.

BlueCalgary63

Sep 27, 2011
Back during the drive 15 I chose P7's because I knew they would be much more viable option in the long term. For now I'm still able to find buyers when needed at cost provided I network and get on it early enough. Hopefully this continues.

thexfactor82

May 25, 2016
I had heard that the P4 renewal rates were in the high 90s while the P5s were around 83% this past year.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB

Glad to hear a positive story that showed TNSE wasn't "all about the money". They spent the time to help you downgrade and maintain you as a customer!

Honestly I can’t see the renewal rate only being 50%. That would be catastrophic.

I'm with JetsNut on this one. 50% is extremely low...

However,

I can see the above being the reason why P5 renewals might be low. I can see P3, 4 & 5 price ranges being the ones people aim for and use as a barometer to guide them to their next TPA. If it's a little too expensive, they can attempt to move to a lower price range. If it's a little too "far away" they can attempt to move closer.

I had heard that the P4 renewal rates were in the high 90s while the P5s were around 83% this past year.

Now that seems more reasonable.

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
Well...if it matters, we asked him twice about the 50% renewal number in P5 because we were so shocked...and he confirmed it twice. And again, that number was based on ST packages that were up for renewal in 2019...not necessarily all ST packages in P5. I'll add that we know quite a few ST holders in P5 from all our years there...MANY chose not to renew this year (or were on the fence leaning towards not renewing when I spoke to them last).

P6 and P7 however was a different story. The whole point for us was to lower our price point. P6's and P7's were very VERY difficult to get. We did get presented with multiple options for P6 and none of them were very desirable or close to where we wanted to be. For all intents and purposes, we got the last pair of available full season P7's and those only came up because someone else decided not to take them at the last minute.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
You can only increase costs well over the price of inflation for so long before people can no longer afford it. I gave up my tickets a couple seasons ago after then went to a 5% increase.

IMO the P5, P6 tickets are the least in demand on the secondary market. P7 are most affordable so people who just want to get in the door take them. Otherwise its the occasional game person who wants better seats in the lower bowl.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not planning on renewing my P6 tickets when my renewal comes up after this season. Life is different now than it was 9 years ago.

I haven't had a ton of trouble selling my P6s on the secondary market, but I'm definitely not getting face value for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad