HF Ranking Prospect Pools #1

Best Prospect Pool.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Holy crap, this is horrible.

The Rangers have one of the deeper pools not sure why they would be low if you value depth.
Shows a real lack of knowledge of their pool.

Nonsense....It shows reality. Who is the third best forward prospect for NYR? And what would you project as their career projection? Granted, NYR have recent graduates that would still be 'prospects' for other clubs (Chytil, Howden, Andersson, etc). So if this were a 'players under 23' ranking, NYR would be higher.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
NYR at the top is disgusting...but probably right....for now....

NYR
NJ
COL
LA
MTL

are my top 5

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rangers.

Detroit should be an option over a few of these teams for sure

So should the Oilers. Their defense might well be second or third behind Colorado and maybe NYR with Bouchard, Broberg, Jones, Samorukov, Bear, Laggesson, Day, and Berglund.

The goaltending is also solid with Starrett, Skinner and Rodrigue.

The forwards are the weak point and are definitely more of a non name bunch but they are not as bad as some might think:

Forward: Benson, Yamamotto, Marody, McLeod, Lavoie, Maksimov, Safin (If he is healthy), Hebig, Vesey

Benson and Marody were both serious candidates for the AHL rookie of the year. Yamamotto has been fine well healthy. All of the forwards through to Maksimov have a decent chance of NHL careers.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
So should the Oilers. Their defense might well be second or third behind Colorado and maybe NYR with Bouchard, Broberg, Jones, Samorukov, Bear, Laggesson, Day, and Berglund.

The goaltending is also solid with Starrett, Skinner and Rodrigue.

The forwards are the weak point and are definitely more of a non name bunch but they are not as bad as some might think:

Forward: Benson, Yamamotto, Marody, McLeod, Lavoie, Maksimov, Safin (If he is healthy), Hebig, Vesey

Benson and Marody were both serious candidates for the AHL rookie of the year. Yamamotto has been fine well healthy. All of the forwards through to Maksimov have a decent chance of NHL careers.

Maksimov is going to be a good NHL player imo. Oilers have stocked up nicely compared top a few years ago.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is more about proven NHL production vs hope and hype on prospects who have not played in the NHL yet...

1) I have not double checked the games played or points but it should be someone close. I will double check when I get a chance. If you see errors, let me know and I will update.

2) Does not factor in trades or GM management. This is more about strict drafting results and comparing apples to apples and how your team falls vs others.

3) Different ranges to evaluate in the last 12 years of drafting. I'm a Habs fan so that's why they are highlighted in yellow. I wanted to see where our team fell with our ability to produce NHL talent and how this is related to quantity of picks and quality of picks.

4) Who's the best drafting team? I'll let you guys evaluate what you value and determine for yourselves.

hFnCjN5.jpg

H2790Ao.jpg

6HtztTx.jpg

DLsHbXX.jpg

oSMcBRn.jpg

Reactions: golgoXIII

amit916

Oct 5, 2010
On one hand they have Kappo and Kravtsov... on the other hand I somewhat expect them to graduate to the NHL and not be counted as prospect pool. Which severely dents their "pool"

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Here are the prospects I think we could reliably say will be NHL contributors (also included some bubble names).

10. NYR:
F: Kakko, Kravstov
D: Miller, Fox, Lundqvist
G: Shestyorkin
Bubble: Hajek, Rykov, Robertson

That is a good group - with 3-4 otential stars - but it is not deep. (NYR fans, you can call me all the names you want, but that won't make Ryan Gropp any better). Here are my better pools....

1. PHI:
F: Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Brink, Rubstov, Allison
D: York, Myers, Attard
G: Hart
Bubble: Vorobyev, O'Brien, St Ivany, Kalynuk

2. MTL:
F: Suzuki, Caulfield, Poehling, Ylonen, Olofsson
D: Romanov, Brook, Fleury
G: Primeau
Bubble: Strubble, Ikonen, Norlinder, Teasdale

3. COL
F: Kaut, Newhook, Bowers
D: Makar, Byram, Timmins
G: Francouz
Bubble: Greer, Ranta, Meloche, Beaucage, Helleson

4. NJD:
F: Hughes, Boqvist, McLeod, Anderson, Bastian
D: Smith, Walsh, Misyul
G: Blackwood
Bubble: Talvitie, Popugaev, Okhotyuk

5. CHI:
F: Dach, Sikura, Entwhistle, Barratt
D: Boqvist, Mitchell, Vlasic, Beaudin
Bubble: Kurashev, Krys, Soderlund, Teply, Wise, Fortin

6. NYI:
F: Wahlstrom, Iskhakov, Bellows, Holmstrom
D: Dobson, Wilde, Salo
G: Sorokin
Bubble: Bolduc, Dal Colle, Soderstrom

7. EDM:
F: Benson, Maksimov, Marody, Yamamoto, Lavoie
D: Bouchard, Broberg, Jones
Bubble: McLeod, Bear, Skinner, Samorukov

(excuse any omissions or spelling errors, I typed this up quickly)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nonsense....It shows reality. Who is the third best forward prospect for NYR? And what would you project as their career projection? Granted, NYR have recent graduates that would still be 'prospects' for other clubs (Chytil, Howden, Andersson, etc). So if this were a 'players under 23' ranking, NYR would be higher.

Some like Henriksson. I’m not a big fan, but he was a second rounder. I would say Barron. Probably projects out as a good bottom six forward with middle six potential, if he maximized his ceiling. But that’s a very realistic projection. We have much less accomplished forward prospects with more skill who theoretically are said to have more potential, but realistically do not, unless they absolutely maximize their ceiling. It’s that way for most of the prospects you hear about on these teams.

What I think your rankings miss is our defensive depth. There aren’t any prospect pools in the league where players such as Reunanen, Jones, Keane, Lindgren are in the 6-10 range of defensive prospects. Why does forward depth matter but defensive depth doesn’t?

Edit: I forgot about Fox, so Hajek is probably in that 6-10 range.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
On one hand they have Kappo and Kravtsov... on the other hand I somewhat expect them to graduate to the NHL and not be counted as prospect pool. Which severely dents their "pool"

Agreed. That's why I always felt "best age 23 and under" a better approach. If you don't like 23, pick 20 or 21. I think this is more important in terms of the main point of trying to figure out the teams that will be on the rise.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014

So you just ignore the d prospects all together. Which they are the deepest in the nhl. Plus Barron and Henriksson both have a good chance to become nhl players. Most of the teams you have ahead of them have equal 3 and 4 forward prospects. Having the Rangers lower than 3rd overall is a very poor take, having them 10th is kind of a joke. Ecspecially when you talk about depth because there top15 is by far the best in the nhl.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Detroit should at least get top 15 consideration, I'll vote to add them (I know I'm biased but come on, Zadina and Veleno have to count for something).

While not aware of most other teams prospects, I'd have to say Buffalo still has a solid pool after losing Dahlin/Mitts.

Probably top 15 also.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Here are the prospects I think we could reliably say will be NHL contributors (also included some bubble names).

10. NYR:

That is a good group - with 3-4 otential stars - but it is not deep. (NYR fans, you can call me all the names you want, but that won't make Ryan Gropp any better). Here are my better pools....

1. PHI:

2. MTL:

3. COL

4. NJD:

5. CHI:

6. NYI:

7. EDM:

Here is the problem is you omit similar level prospects from bubble for the Rangers that you have as non bubble for other teams. Some of the bubble prospects you have listed for other teams are bad. You have a 29 year old goalie listed for Colorado and there are numerous players that are mid 20s career ahlers. Bellows for example has 19ahl points at 21 years old.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Agreed. That's why I always felt "best age 23 and under" a better approach. If you don't like 23, pick 20 or 21. I think this is more important in terms of the main point of trying to figure out the teams that will be on the rise.
As an Oiler fan the 23 and under helps their cause quite a bit. It allows for McDavid, Draisiatl and Puljujarvi to be added to the forwards group. 24 and under adds Nurse as well.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Personally I've always thought the best measure would be anything on or before the ELC. McDavid is under 23, but to count him as a 'prospect' when he's making $12.5M a year? Generally once a player leaves their ELC they're getting paid for their place as a cog in the machine, where as on the ELC they still provide a unique advantage to the team that's more in line with being a 'prospect'.

That said for polls like this there's a long standing standard for what counts as a prospect, it just is what it is.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

10. NYR:

1. PHI:

2. MTL:

3. COL

4. NJD:

5. CHI:

6. NYI:

7. EDM:

Yikes.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018

10. NYR:

1. PHI:

2. MTL:

3. COL

4. NJD:

5. CHI:

6. NYI:

7. EDM:

Oooof, please do proper research before commenting on other prospect pools.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Real true.

I'd take Kakko instead of O'Brien + Farabee + Ratcliffe, easily.

Top talent > depth everyday of the week.

Well this is for prospect POOL. Not top prospects.

So philly has by and far the best POOL of prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad