HF Ranking Prospect Pools #1

Best Prospect Pool.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
NY than Col

I think either club could go #1. Depends if you want forwards or D. After that there's a small drop off and several teams could fill out the next few spots.

Voted Rags so not to be a homer.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Colorado's defence prospects scare me. Add Newhook and Kaut to that and you get #1. Imo, NYR has nothing really at C, which I consider the most important position.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Voted COL, but it was extremely close.
  • COL has the better Top 10 and best prospect DMen Group;
  • COL promoted: Mackinnon, Rantanen, Girard, Zadorov, Compher & Jost;
  • NYR has the best Forward Group;
  • NYR has the deepest system being 20+ players;
Interestingly, if the AVs didn't promote players when they were struggling, this list wouldn't even be close.

I based on quality COL Top 10 > NYR deep Top 20.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I based my choice on quality COL Top 10 vs. NYR deep Top 20.

giphy.gif

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Doesn't matter, he'll be 24 this season and wasn't included. I would still choose COL due to the higher quality prospects.

COL regardless of the players deemed prospects, has the better overall players 24 years of age and under.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Interestingly, if the AVs didn't promote players when they were struggling, this list wouldn't even be close.

I based on quality COL Top 10 > NYR deep Top 20.

You do realize that the bold are completely irrelevant? I mean, should I go back and add a NYR promoted section and include Kreider, Miller, Skjei, Buchnevich? No. Because it is irrelevant :laugh:

Our #2 forward prospect is better than any other forward prospect that Colorado has.
Makar is better than any of our defensive prospects. K'Andre Miller and Fox are all better than the remaining Colorado defensive prospects.
Sheshty is a better goaltending prospect.

Offensive - Rangers > Colorado
Defense - Colorado > Rangers ( I think were deeper but Makar is that good)
Goaltending - Rangers > Colorado

The Rangers have a significantly better Top 10.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I really think its Colorado. There's simply no answer to that Defensive group we've put together. Makar, Byram, Timmins, and then followed up with a couple more strong 4/5 guys in Meloche and Helleson. It's just a crazy deep group. And people are majorly sleeping on Timmins now because of his health concerns(Which are fair concerns no doubt). But people need to remember the WJC 2 years ago where Makar was on a tear with 8 points in 7 games as the 7th Dman... and yet it was Timmins who was almost unanimously Canada's best Dman after the tournament was over. +15 in 7 games.

If the dude gets healthy and back on track this season he's got Top pairing, Ryan Suter lite written all over him.

Plus its not like the Forwards are chopped liver either. Newhook, Kaut, Bowers, Henry, Kovalenko. Kovalenko in particular is a wildcard IMO. He's a late round pick so not a tonne of people know much about him. But 5 goals in 33 games averaging about 4.5 minutes a game in the KHL last year is quite impressive for a 19 year old... similar goal scoring pace to what Kravtsov had last year in significantly less ice time.

I'm biased, and fully get the appeal to that Rangers group as well as Kakko is a beast of kid and they've got some fantastic depth. But the Avs defense to me is what puts them over the top ever so slightly.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
You do realize that the bold are completely irrelevant? I mean, should I go back and add a NYR promoted section and include Kreider, Miller, Skjei, Buchnevich? No. Because it is irrelevant :laugh:

Our #2 forward prospect is better than any other forward prospect that Colorado has.
Makar is better than any of our defensive prospects. K'Andre Miller and Fox are all better than the remaining Colorado defensive prospects.

Miller and Fox over Byram?

Reactions: avsfan09

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I really think its Colorado. There's simply no answer to that Defensive group we've put together. Makar, Byram, Timmins, and then followed up with a couple more strong 4/5 guys in Meloche and Helleson. It's just a crazy deep group. And people are majorly sleeping on Timmins now because of his health concerns(Which are fair concerns no doubt). But people need to remember the WJC 2 years ago where Makar was on a tear with 8 points in 7 games as the 7th Dman... and yet it was Timmins who was almost unanimously Canada's best Dman after the tournament was over. +15 in 7 games.

If the dude gets healthy and back on track this season he's got Top pairing, Ryan Suter lite written all over him.

Plus its not like the Forwards are chopped liver either. Newhook, Kaut, Bowers, Henry, Kovalenko. Kovalenko in particular is a wildcard IMO. He's a late round pick so not a tonne of people know much about him. But 5 goals in 33 games averaging about 4.5 minutes a game in the KHL last year is quite impressive for a 19 year old... similar goal scoring pace to what Kravtsov had last year in significantly less ice time.

I'm biased, and fully get the appeal to that Rangers group as well as Kakko is a beast of kid and they've got some fantastic depth. But the Avs defense to me is what puts them over the top ever so slightly.
You are grossly underrating the Rangers defensive prospects. COL definitely has higher end prospects on D with Makar and Byram but the Rangers are absoltuely stacked with potential top 4 dmen:

Miller - Potential top pair
Fox/Lundkvist - Potential 2/3 dmen
Hajek/Rykov/Robertsson - Potential top 4.

And that's not even including other decent prospects like Reunanen/Lindgren/Keane who could find their way into a top 4 role as well.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I already made it clear it was disregarded, but if they were include there is no chance your NHLers are even close to COL.

As for your players, try to stay on topic as this thread is for players under the age of 25 years: Kreider (28), Miller (who?), Skjei (25), Buchnevich (24). You only listed a single name and these players are not better than the COL Group which are all under 25.

As for the thread topic:
  • COL has a substantial edge with DMen. Makar/Byram/Timmins/Meloche/Helleson is far better than any NYR combo.
  • NYR has the better Forwards, but the gap is not as wide.
  • NYR the superior Goalies.
The difference is DMen quality is much wider than the Forwards. This overall led me to COL having the slight advantage. NYR has the deepest prospects, so I can understand easily understand your decision.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I already made it clear it was disregarded, but if they were include there is no chance your NHLers are even close to COL.

As for your players, try to stay on topic as this thread is for players under the age of 25 years: Kreider (28), Miller (who?), Skjei (25), Buchnevich (24). You only listed a single name and these players are not better than the COL Group which are all under 25.

As for the thread topic:
  • COL has a substantial edge with DMen. Makar/Byram/Timmins/Meloche/Helleson is far better than any NYR combo.
The difference is DMen quality is much wider than the Forwards. This overall led me to COL having the slight advantage. NYR has the deepest prospects, so I can understand easily understand your decision.
Again, the Dmen quality between Rangers and Avs is not that far apart. Yes Col has the better 2 high end talents but overall they are extremely close with the amount of depth.

Reactions: free0717

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
my top 3
  1. NYR (high end + deep depth) -
  2. COL (high end/lacks depth) -
  3. MTL (lacks one elite super-prospect like Kakko/Byram but still has high end + very deep depth)

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014

As for the thread topic:

Colorado has the top 2 Dman so I would give them the edge there. However the Rangers D pool is deep and has some serious high end talent. You are very seriously underrating the Rangers D prospects. Overall the Rangers d prospects are better than the Rangers forward prospects.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Colorado has the top 2 Dman so I would give them the edge there. However the Rangers D pool is deep and has some serious high end talent. You are very seriously underrating the Rangers D prospects. Overall the Rangers d prospects are better than the Rangers forward prospects.

NYR has outstanding Forward prospects which are much better than their DMen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->