HF Ranking Prospect Pools #1

Best Prospect Pool.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RandomAvsFan

Jun 27, 2016
Denver, Colorado
I voted NYR. I love the depth up front, the prospects on the back-end, and Shestyorkin in goal is just amazing. I'm just happy that the Avs are considered Top 5.

While we have a decent crop of forwards coming up and unimpressive goalie prospects... Colorado has the best defensive prospects in the league though and it's not particularly close.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Gotta ask the 8% of Habs fans why you wouldn't trade your entire group of prospects for NYR's group?

I would probably take Kakko alone over your entire pool. Granted I'm not crazy high on Caulfield either...

Thought about it some more I'm taking Kakko over your entire pool.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Fun exercise! And so exciting as a Rangers fan to pick them first without any suspicion my rooting bias may be contributing to that decision.

The interesting (awesome) thing is, they IMO earn that spot even with Chytil (84 GP), Lemieux (72 GP), Howden (66 GP), and Andersson (49 GP) all missing the cutoff by less than a season’s worth of games.

Note: I think most of us on HFNYR would probably select Henriksson over the last six forwards listed and Aaltonen over at least Gropp and Pajuniemi, perhaps one or two more. While on D, Keane, Ragnarsson, and Själin all deserve mention over Crawley.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
COL NYR and PHI stand out the most to me.

I’d say add my isles but I maybe be biased

Dobson Wahlstrom Sorokin Wilde Ho-Sang Bellows Soderstrom Holmström Koivula

Reactions: Finster8

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Gotta ask the 8% of Habs fans why you wouldn't trade your entire group of prospects for NYR's group?

I would probably take Kakko alone over your entire pool. Granted I'm not crazy high on Caulfield either...

Not 8% of habs fans think that.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Rangers.

Detroit should be an option over a few of these teams for sure

Reactions: ZDH

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

He's a fresh lottery pick.. He's gonna be in the NHL as soon as next season. For comparison, Montreal has Kotkaniemi who is only 8 months older than Kakko.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Rangers.

Add Detroit, who has a better pool than at least three of the teams already listed.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Philly without hesitation.

NYR have 2 Forwards w/ top 6 upside, 3-4 D with top 4 upside. Shestyorkin
Philly has 5-6 forwards with top 6 upside, 2 D with top 4 upside. Hart+Ersson

Wawa is calling you from the Jersey PA border, without hesitation.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

That is a ridiculous opinion, and you know it.

Kakko is amazing, but the Habs have IMO a minimum of 5 prospects worthy at least of a 1st round pick if they were to be traded today (Poeling, Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Brook), and that's not even counting the rest of the pool depth that is quite strong with many players with NHL potential (Fleury, Primeau, Ylonen, etc).

I like top talent better than depth as well, but saying you would not trade Kakko for 5+ 1st round picks is laughable. I would certainly trade McDavid+ for Montreal prospect pool... and for most of those other top prospect pools as well without even thinking twice.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
COL NYR and PHI stand out the most to me.

I’d say add my isles but I maybe be biased

Dobson Wahlstrom Sorokin Wilde Ho-Sang Bellows Soderstrom Holmström Koivula

Isles are in that next tier for sure with Philly IMO

Col and NYR stand out as the top to me

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
NYR
Colorado
Philly
MTL
NJD

Is my top 5

As a Sens fan, we'd probably be top 7 ish but are lacking real high end talent after Batherson/Brannstrom

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

I'm not a fan of the high end talent in Montreal's pool either. Looking at their board they just voted Poehling as their #1 prospect. He probably projects out as a top 6 forward?

To me, when it comes to prospect pools, quality > quantity every time.

Reactions: ZDH

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rangers.

Detroit should be an option over a few of these teams for sure

So should the Oilers. Aside from Colorado they probably have the best prospect pool on defense with

Bouchard, Broberg, Samorukov, Jones, Bear and Lagesson.

And this does not include Persson who is too old for the list.

Goaltending is also very solid:

Starrett, Skinner, Rodrigue

with Dylan wells as an honourable mention.

The weakness is up front with no big names. But it is better than many might think. Benson and Marody were both strong candidates for the AHL rookie of the year and Yamamoto has been fine when healthy.

Forwards: Benson, Yamamoto, Marody, Lavoie, McLeod, Maksimov, Safin (if he recovers from multiple injuries)

Admittedly after that the under 24 pool is extremely thin up front but the first 6 all have very good chances of being NHL'ers.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
NYR
Colorado
Philly
MTL
NJD

Is my top 5

As a Sens fan, we'd probably be top 7 ish but are lacking real high end talent after Batherson/Brannstrom
Agreed we have a deep pool,but it does lack the high end stuff...After next season it should place higher....

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I'm not a fan of the high end talent in Montreal's pool either. Looking at their board they just voted Poehling as their #1 prospect. He probably projects out as a top 6 forward?

To me, when it comes to prospect pools, quality > quantity every time.
That's why the votes vary for everyone. Prospect evaluation is subjective. The reason why Poehling is at the top of our prospect ranking is most likely because he's further along his developpement then some of our other prospects. He might not have the offensive ceiling of Caufield or Suzuki, but he should contribute in the NHL in the near future. Poehling's top end potential is probably pretty close to a Ryan O'Reilly which is very good.

Trading a complete prospect pool for Kakko is just dumb, specially a consencus top 10 prospect pool.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

That's cool.

I like how you're upset that people voted for their team in a trivial ranking system.

Whether someone ranks your team 1st, or last who cares ? You don't win anything by having "best prospect pool"

You gotta learn to relax and enjoy the players your team has coming up and hope they're not busts. Well, some, if not most of the players listed will be, but you're hoping you get some good ones.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Quality > quantity.

A defense made up of all #4 dmen is not going to be good.
Yes. But Miller is a potential top pair dman and Fox and Lundkvist are potential 2/3. Then you add the next half dozen potential top 4 dmen we have....

We have five defenseman ahead in our depth chart ahead Robertson who we drafted in the 2nd round this year...the player the consensuses had as a 1st round pick.

Plenty of quality to go with our quantity.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yes. But Miller is a potential top pair dman and Fox and Lundkvist are potential 2/3. Then you add the next half dozen potential top 4 dmen we have....

We have five defenseman ahead in our depth chart ahead Robertson who we drafted in the 2nd round this year...the player the consensuses had as a 1st round pick.

Plenty of quality to go with our quantity.

I just don't see the same kind of quality Colorado has.

Of course, you could be correct in the long run but a lot of prospects don't reach their potential projections. If they're seen as top four guys the odds are they end up lower than higher than projected in the NHL.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad