HF posters decide 25 rule/league changes.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Make the rinks bigger.

The physicality is mostly removed from the league anyway at this point, so if we are gonna have a skill game we might as well give the players room to operate.

It infuriates me watching the best and most skilled in the world in the NHL, yet they can't keep the puck for more than one or two passes within their team. I'd rather watch the SHL in terms of passing, which is just sad.

• Haha
Reactions: Ghetty Green

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I was debating starting a thread about this

Change the regular season from a fixed number of games to a race to 90 points or a maximum of 82 games, whichever comes first.

Seedings of teams belongs to whichever team gets there first with regular tie breaking rules in place.

As teams qualify (or get disqualified) rescheduling is done electronically with the remaining teams until all 16 teams are accounted for.

Teams get the benefit of the bye and get a chance to not only rest up but to recover. This will build excitement for the remainder of the season.

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
JT Miller can only break 1 record a game, enough is enough JT, not every single record in NHL's existence should have your name on it
to be fair, the league/announcers have made up some weird records no one has ever tracked before this season. i.e. not real records.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Point system - each game is worth three points, so current system except RW is worth 3.

No offside review, except Toronto (not TML , the league official that is watching from Tor)can call for an egregious offsides. See post #13 for an example of a goal that would be disallowed by the league official.
again, I'll remind everyone the 3 points for a regulation win does not work and has not worked. When this was tested, teams turtled when they got a lead, especially in the 3rd. Every game became a dull, defensive battle.

Better to get rid of the regulation win tie break rule (regulation wins are actually worth around 1.01 points but Gary doesn't like four columns) and, for crying out loud, stop the 3 on 3's in OT! Some rule to try and fix that, like a shot clock, is just more tinkering!

Reactions: BB79

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I'd consider allowing teams to submit an optional 2 referee blacklist from officiating their games if they perceive a bias against their team in particular and can provide some historical evidence. This would be submitted discretely and would not be disclosed to the official or public in any way
I don't think there's enough officials with the talent to do this as evidenced by the two ref system. Also, this would get really, really political.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Let me file the map I would like to see happen...

8 Divisions

Play within your division 3 teams 6xs which = 18 games
Play the 3 other divisions in your conference 4xs (12 teams) which = 48 games
Play Western conference teams 1x a year that leaves the remaining 16 games

82 games
Less travel
More games against your rivals
Also, teams like Boston leaving the division will still play Montreal, Toronto, and Buffalo 4xs which they are playing now anyways. 4 West is kind of a little f***ed, but, Winnipeg and Dallas are f***ed regardless.

Attachments

• 2022-NHL-Base-Map-2156803452.jpg
    2022-NHL-Base-Map-2156803452.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 2

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Linesman would just call a play offside if there's any doubt, so the flow of game has the potential to be ruined anyways
Before we had reviews, Linesman made it a goal of being as accurate as possible as a point of pride and professionalism. They didn't always get it right but they were good. It was much better than it is now.

And what I mean by that is there's not as much attempt to get it right the first time knowing they can always review it. So they guess at it more. Same with goals. This was a point of contention Roger Federer had when they brought in reviews to Tennis (now the Grand Slams don't have line judges at all anymore).

Last edited:

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
1. Revert to the old playoff format.
2. Close the LTIR loophole, teams must be cap compliant throughout the playoffs.

I’d counter with making it known to all teams that since the players don’t get paid in the Playoffs, stacking a roster is not limited to Vegas, Tampa, Toronto, Colorado & the ‘15 Hawks.

Wanna win a Cup? Ante up.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Draft age raised to 19
okay, but is this legal? The old league had Bobby Orr locked up at the age of 14.
Not sure of the NFL still requires a certain amount of college but when the courts allowed it, it was widely acknowledged to be a unwritten rule for their own safety.

If we make the rinks bigger then make it 6 skaters a side. Bring back the Rover.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I was debating starting a thread about this

Change the regular season from a fixed number of games to a race to 90 points or a maximum of 82 games, whichever comes first.

Seedings of teams belongs to whichever team gets there first with regular tie breaking rules in place.

As teams qualify (or get disqualified) rescheduling is done electronically with the remaining teams until all 16 teams are accounted for.

Teams get the benefit of the bye and get a chance to not only rest up but to recover. This will build excitement for the remainder of the season.
Pretty sure owners would take issue for loss of revenue

Reactions: LuckyDay

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
*closes comically large storybook, with a collage of each forumer's avatar on the cover*

...and that's how the game of hockey got destroyed, kids!

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Pretty sure owners would take issue for loss of revenue
League revenue could be shared and would increase as teams get eliminated.

But yeah, it's a hole in the system. 90 points would guarantee 45 games minimum would be played per team. What is guessed does it take minimum to qualify.

And that's the clincher - it prevents Meaningless games in March and player safety for those who already qualify.

I hadn't thought about it before but eliminating those teams that are disqualified would definitely stop the tank.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’m picturing some young hockey fan in 2060 asking mom and dad

“Why did the NHL replace all their goaltenders with mini-golf windmills?”

“Well, son, some folks on social media though it would be a great idea to spice up the game.”

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

But yeah, it's a hole in the system. 90 points would guarantee 45 games minimum would be played per team. What is guessed does it take minimum to qualify.

And that's the clincher - it prevents Meaningless games in March and player safety for those who already qualify.

I hadn't thought about it before but eliminating those teams that are disqualified would definitely stop the tank.
So the best team in the league would sit for a month before the playoffs started?

Can’t think of a single player that would want that.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007

Not sure you get what revenue is and how it's affected by selling tickets for games.

Reactions: Summer Rose

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
again, I'll remind everyone the 3 points for a regulation win does not work and has not worked. When this was tested, teams turtled when they got a lead, especially in the 3rd. Every game became a dull, defensive battle.

Sorry this is the first I’m hearing about this. But it is illogical that some games are worth 3 points and some are worth two.

Get rid of 3v3 OT and shootouts. Go back to 5v5 and ties
So, to keep the same number of points per game, we go back to the above post.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Better to get rid of the regulation win tie break rule (regulation wins are actually worth around 1.01 points but Gary doesn't like four columns) and, for crying out loud, stop the 3 on 3's in OT! Some rule to try and fix that, like a shot clock, is just more tinkering!

Where was it tested?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Cha.ges

1. Go to a 3-0, 2-0, 2-1 for reg, OT. SO you cap shoot out attempts to like 8 or 10 if yird no bonus point. Could also just not fo a SO and fo 1'1 instead 2-0.

2. Widen the blue line where if a skate is on the goal end and puck in near the center end its onside.

3. Other option is a 2 line offside pass with a line at zone face off fors but when puck is cleared everyone must clear xonr.

4. With likely expansion coming yo say 36 teamd..thsts 2x35=70 for home and home thrn fo additional matchups for 6-8 games and these include international games. Playoffs expand to 24 withtop 8 getting byes. Its as ll one conference.

5. Another option in 4 eith say 70 games and 2 additional games then they could do 3x3 tournament in season.

6 teams create a group. They meet at one city playing 2-3 games and another city playing 2-3 for a total if 5 games. Thesr are 20-30 tottal minute gsmes. Top 4 advance so 24 in all to form 6 team groups. Then 2 cities host for round Robin play. Then group winners go to a championship of semifinals and 3rd/ finals. The championship is over all star weekend. Friday semis, sat skills, Sunday 1st and 3rd. The host cities rotate over a 3 yr period where 3 in a group host each year. If a te as m advances they cant host both rounds.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Kick out teams that run a deficit for 3 consecutive years and haven’t produced NHL talent.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Fun thread. Two semi-serious suggestions (in defiance of the OP's request for only one).

1. Icing the puck is called against the penalty killing side. I'd also be amenable to a undefined amount of icings eliciting a delay of game penalty. Pucks over the glass could be added to the icing total instead of an automatic penalty.

2. It makes no sense for games to have different point totals, but here we are. So my change: Eliminate regular season overtimes. Winner is awarded one point. If the game ends in a tie, neither team gains a point (because ties are gross and a waste of time and should not be rewarded). Call it the "kissing your sister" rule.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Draft age raised to 19

Conference winners get a first round bye

Eh, don’t love #23, but sure. Wait, did you already do one? Be honest, I’m lazy.

For me, some changes: no back to back games. Players needing a rest after a day of workout and that is science and common sense. A game played is similar to a workout.

No more regular season OT, bring back ties. Keep playoff OT rules intact. Regulation win is worth 3 points, a ties is worth a point and a loss is worth zero.

Remove the over the glass penalty and treat it as icing with no line change. The same for PK.

Create two different categories for 2 minutes penalties: 2 minutes major, a elbow, boarding, high-sticking, kneeing, charging is a 2 minutes penalty that has nothing to do with the hockey play that is common accident (last minute turning or last minute change of position in no fault of the offender) must be served in full regardless of how many goals is scored. Another category is a 2 minute minor such as tripping, hooking, holding is a penalty that can be back to full strength after a PP goal against. Still keep 5 minute major for severe incident that is not a normal hockey play nor accidental.
72-game season schedule with season starting on first day of autumn with playoff ending around mid-May.

World Cup of hockey being held in June every 4 years with a proper off-season for everyone.

#24, hell ya, I love this one! Back to backs suck, eliminated.

No more drug testing, players can smoke weed, snort lines and inject tren straight into their veins in between periods if they want

#25, holy Mike Hurlbut, what a finish! Controversial, but it’s kinda a ridiculous ender, so I’ll allow it.

Rule changes are over everybody! I gotta sort through this beautiful mess first, see what we’re working with. Further proposals will get consideration in the future, your voices will be heard. First we gotta vote on allowing tren, apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: PALE PWNR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad