HF posters decide 25 rule/league changes.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Players who injure other players with head shots are suspended for the amount of games that the injured player misses, up to a maximum of 10 games.
What if the guy was just trying to protect himself from hitting the boards and his elbow accidentally (on purpose) caught the chin of the opposing player?

• Haha
Reactions: Acallabeth

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'd consider allowing teams to submit an optional 2 referee blacklist from officiating their games if they perceive a bias against their team in particular and can provide some historical evidence. This would be submitted discretely and would not be disclosed to the official or public in any way

CC- #15. We’d never really know about it, and if we did it’d be a problem, but it’s an interesting idea.
thrown out of game if you jump a player and start a fight against a guy who threw a hit refs deemed clean. This is rather than the subjective instigator penalty
#16 above
But.... but that's the same system I want to implement :( 3-2-1-0
Ya, sorry, misread it at first. You win, that’s the rule now!
LTIR loophole
#17 above
Suspensions based on injury severity, if it was already a suspendable offense. Just because a player is injured on a routine play, shouldn't make it suspendable.

A two-hander to a players wrist, no injury, it'll be a 2 game suspension. Broken wrist, still two games, so dumb. Should be a lengthier suspension if it causes an injury.
#18 above
Empty net goals count as two. Would create excitement for teams down a goal or two at the end of games. And teams up by one or two don’t shell defense in the third and create boring periods.
#19 I guess? This would fundamentally alter the game, the board of HF won’t vote it through, but technically possible, I suppose.
If my above playoff rule can't make the cut due to other rules taking precedence, here are two backup ideas in order of preference:

1. Change the point system.

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an OT win
1 point for a SO win
0 point of any kind for a loss

Yes its unbalanced where some games are worth more or less points - but the one true constant is teams would never play safe to "not lose", but rather always go all out to win. Makes playoff races completely unpredictable too, with abilitity to earn anywhere from 0 to 3 points per game. With how close everyone in East is right now - it would truly be a wild race to finish

2. This one is super minor, but a pet peeve of mind.

Play should resume where play is stopped, outside of icings. So if a penalty is called, you dont automatically start PP in offensive zone. That always felt off and unnatural to me

Your first concern has already been dealt with, so I went with the second one. #20. Faceoffs where penalties occur.

The ones I ignored were either already done or contradicted previously made changes. 5 more rules to go!

BeaverTail

Oct 9, 2014
Draft lottery positioning is determined by total points after statistical elimination. Worse teams (i.e those with less points and thus eliminated sooner) still have higher chances of having more points as they were eliminated sooner.

Makes games actually watchable for basement dwelling teams at the end of the season instead of being in the limbo of should I hope for my team or hope they lose to boost draft odds.

Would ultimately increase viewership. Imagine end of the season you have multiple teams contending for top draft odds

Reactions: Sypher04 and Madap

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Draft lottery positioning is determined by total points after statistical elimination. Worse teams (i.e those with less points and thus eliminated sooner) still have higher chances of having more points as they were eliminated sooner.

Makes games actually watchable for basement dwelling teams at the end of the season instead of being in the limbo of should I hope for my team or hope they lose to boost draft odds.

Would ultimately increase viewership. Imagine end of the season you have multiple teams contending for top draft odds

#21 heck ya
Coaches get two timeouts, not just one.

#22 sweet, then they’ll use 1!

• Haha
Reactions: SensontheRush

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I have one 99% of fans would not like

16 teams make the playoffs and it is 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 and so on. And after ever remaining teams are ranked again by pts again and then have 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so on

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

It would be fascinating to see if teams try to game this. Like the Sens still aren't technically eliminated from the playoffs, but if this system is in place do they actually basically throw a few games over the last couple weeks to start getting those points earlier.

I have one 99% of fans would not like

16 teams make the playoffs and it is 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 and so on. And after ever remaining teams are ranked again by pts again and then have 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7 and so on
I'm not sure why 99% would dislike this. It would greatly increase the drama around playoffs spots. The only potential "bad" thing is early east v west matchups, but it's 2024, it's not like an East coast team is taking a steam train over the rockies to go play the Canucks or anything.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
This should absolutely be changed, yesterday. Logically it makes no sense to have it cancel out the penalty.
Agreed. I don’t really understand it. Probably something to do with pulling the goalie. The league treats that weird. Similar to pulling your goal in OT will lose you the point for whatever reason. Which I also think should be removed, but that one is pretty far down the list.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
It would be fascinating to see if teams try to game this. Like the Sens still aren't technically eliminated from the playoffs, but if this system is in place do they actually basically throw a few games over the last couple weeks to start getting those points earlier.

I'm not sure why 99% would dislike this. It would greatly increase the drama around playoffs spots. The only potential "bad" thing is early east v west matchups, but it's 2024, it's not like an East coast team is taking a steam train over the rockies to go play the Canucks or anything.

Factor in travel and then see the east guys get made

WhoozYerrDaddy

May 5, 2004
Challenge missed calls/wrong calls, far too many times we see officials blowing big calls that significantly influence the game. Allow coaches to challenge phantom penalties or missed penalties.

To add to this, if a specific referee tallies up X amount of bad calls or missed calls, he should face disciplinary action from the league. We hold everyone else in the NHL accountable, they should be held accountable as well. Whether they are doing it intentionally or not is irrelevant, at the end of the day they are incompetent if they are missing that many calls or making that many bad calls.
Wonder if Angel Hernandez can skate. Just think of what he could do to an NHL game.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
For me, some changes: no back to back games. Players needing a rest after a day of workout and that is science and common sense. A game played is similar to a workout.

No more regular season OT, bring back ties. Keep playoff OT rules intact. Regulation win is worth 3 points, a ties is worth a point and a loss is worth zero.

Remove the over the glass penalty and treat it as icing with no line change. The same for PK.

Create two different categories for 2 minutes penalties: 2 minutes major, a elbow, boarding, high-sticking, kneeing, charging is a 2 minutes penalty that has nothing to do with the hockey play that is common accident (last minute turning or last minute change of position in no fault of the offender) must be served in full regardless of how many goals is scored. Another category is a 2 minute minor such as tripping, hooking, holding is a penalty that can be back to full strength after a PP goal against. Still keep 5 minute major for severe incident that is not a normal hockey play nor accidental.
72-game season schedule with season starting on first day of autumn with playoff ending around mid-May.

World Cup of hockey being held in June every 4 years with a proper off-season for everyone.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Rule change for draft. It's a long one with lots of movings parts.

The concept of a first round pick still exist -- each team still have one, and each team can trade its pick.
However, there's no order, and the pick should be understood as the right to offer a NHL contract to any player whose rights don't belong to an NHL team. The player obviously has to accept the deal for the pick to be used. 2nd round to 7th round go normally, a few days after the first "round" signees are announced.

Consequently, draft age would be pushed back a year, and every signee is eligible to play in the AHL. Arrangements can be made for loans (if a draft-eligible player is already under a pro contract and that player doesn't have an out clause, the player can still be signed, though a year is obviously burned in that scenario). Those first rounders have to be signed for 3 years (it can be 2-way deals, but it doesn't have to), and the max deal than can be signed is a fixed proportion of the cap, but for 2024, that maximum would be 4 millions (I didn't think about it that much, it can be different).

Concretely : For the 2024 team, any NHL team could've offered a 3 X 4M deal to Connor Bedard, provided that team has the caproom for it. It wouldn't have made any much sense to sign Matvei Michkov with a first rounder, but he could safely be drafted with a 2nd rounder.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If you kill off a 5 on 3 powerplay, you get a free timeout to rest your players if you so wish. Those guys don't get enough credit.

Or if you don't get a goal on a 5 minute powerplay, you aren't allowed another powerplay in the game because you suck.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaiden Ghoul

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Get rid of b2b games and make 2 games per week the norm.

Too many stinker games over this cramped season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Replays are gone

Offside is to the discretion of the linesman - meaning if it's close, play on

Icing gets called on the penalty killing team that shoots it down the ice

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
2. Close the LTIR loophole, teams must be cap compliant throughout the playoffs.
You mean Vegas can't have a $100m salary on the ice for the playoffs? That's just not fair for all those long term injuries that magically heal mid April.

• Haha
Reactions: WhataKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad