HF posters decide 25 rule/league changes.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
There are things the league could fix or improve, right? Let’s fix ‘em.

The idea is this: the first 25 posters present specific rule or league changes they’d like to see. We’ll then kinda see where the HF hive mind takes us, and if it’s potentially better than the current NHL.

I’ll start with one that’s pretty out there..

Rule change #1: Deflected pucks off the netting stay in play (assuming they fall back to ice).

Reasoning: This would lead to increased zone time and pressure. More excitement. Purposeful dump-ins into the netting wouldn’t be allowed, that seems a cheat code to easy forechecks, but if the nets consistently put pucks back into play.. it’s worth exploring, at least.

Anyways- I’m sure there’s gonna be strong opinions on that one, but we can hash out what sticks and what doesn’t at a later date.

For now, what change would you make?

Issues to tackle:
1) scheduling
2) reffing
3) DoPS
4) point system
5) OT
Etc.

1 rule per poster, first 25 get compiled.. sometime. Please be specific “make refs better” doesn’t really help.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Schedule change.

Remove 6 games against teams from the opposing division of the same association. Replace them by 3 series of back to back games against natural rivals.

Example : Habs would play 2 more games against the Leafs, Bruins and Senators. All those rivalry games could be played at the same time league wide, on 3 different week-ends. The NHL could do a lot of marketing about it. It would be good for the league and exciting for the fans.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
1. take out automatic 4 mins for drawing blood on a high stick
2. Base suspensions on the act itself, and not putting so much weight on the result (injury?). A dangerous hit is a dangerous hit.
3. Point system: 2 points regulation win / 1 point OT/SO win / 0 points for any loss

Last edited:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
1. 72 game regular season
2. 28m x 60m (Finnish) ice dimensions
3. 10 min OT period, 4 vs. 4
Under consideration:
4. Small increase in net dimensions to proportionally account for most goalies being 6'2+ these days

Reactions: Ghetty Green

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Challenge missed calls/wrong calls, far too many times we see officials blowing big calls that significantly influence the game. Allow coaches to challenge phantom penalties or missed penalties.

To add to this, if a specific referee tallies up X amount of bad calls or missed calls, he should face disciplinary action from the league. We hold everyone else in the NHL accountable, they should be held accountable as well. Whether they are doing it intentionally or not is irrelevant, at the end of the day they are incompetent if they are missing that many calls or making that many bad calls.

Reactions: rhino71

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There are things the league could fix or improve, right? Let’s fix ‘em.

The idea is this: the first 25 posters present specific rule or league changes they’d like to see. We’ll then kinda see where the HF hive mind takes us, and if it’s potentially better than the current NHL.

I’ll start with one that’s pretty out there..

Rule change #1: Deflected pucks off the netting stay in play (assuming they fall back to ice).

Reasoning: This would lead to increased zone time and pressure. More excitement. Purposeful dump-ins into the netting wouldn’t be allowed, that seems a cheat code to easy forechecks, but if the nets consistently put pucks back into play.. it’s worth exploring, at least.

Anyways- I’m sure there’s gonna be strong opinions on that one, but we can hash out what sticks and what doesn’t at a later date.

For now, what change would you make?

Issues to tackle:
1) scheduling
2) reffing
3) DoPS
4) point system
5) OT
Etc.

1 rule per poster, first 25 get compiled.. sometime. Please be specific “make refs better” doesn’t really help.
Not to flood topic with questions? but would rules to fix college loophole, or those chl players that should prob be in AHL but can’t due to age be rules that could be addressed, or do you specifically want nhl stuff?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Rule change #2

Schedule change.

Remove 6 games against teams from the opposing division of the same association. Replace them by 3 series of back to back games against natural rivals.

Example : Habs would play 2 more games against the Leafs, Bruins and Senators. All those rivalry games could be played at the same time league wide, on 3 different week-ends. The NHL could do a lot of marketing about it. It would be good for the league and exciting for the fans.

take out automatic 4 mins for drawing blood on a high stick

1. 72 game regular season
2. 28m x 60m (Finnish) ice dimensions
3. 10 min OT period, 4 vs. 4
Under consideration:
4. Small increase in net dimensions to proportionally account for most goalies being 6'2+ these days

No to the below.

Noone is allowed to make fun of the Maple Leafs.

1 rule per poster, and Forsbergforever, your first one kinda contradicted WatchfulElm’s so I went with your second change.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
AvroArrow, you only get to pick 1. Which would you like? Personally don’t like the first idea and love the second, but it’s your call. I’ll lock it in as change #9

Challenge missed calls/wrong calls, far too many times we see officials blowing big calls that significantly influence the game. Allow coaches to challenge phantom penalties or missed penalties.

To add to this, if a specific referee tallies up X amount of bad calls or missed calls, he should face disciplinary action from the league. We hold everyone else in the NHL accountable, they should be held accountable as well. Whether they are doing it intentionally or not is irrelevant, at the end of the day they are incompetent if they are missing that many calls or making that many bad calls.

If a team scores with a delayed PP, they should still get the PP.
Get rid of the offside review / challenge.
Zegs, it applies to the nhl, so you can do that. Should I count that as #7? Address league/age loopholes?
Not to flood topic with questions? but would rules to fix college loophole, or those chl players that should prob be in AHL but can’t due to age be rules that could be addressed, or do you specifically want nhl stuff?
go back to 1-8 in the playoffs

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
JT Miller can only break 1 record a game, enough is enough JT, not every single record in NHL's existence should have your name on it

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Point system - each game is worth three points, so current system except RW is worth 3.

No offside review, except Toronto (not TML , the league official that is watching from Tor)can call for an egregious offsides. See post #13 for an example of a goal that would be disallowed by the league official.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would go with playoffs.

Basically 4 divisions 8 teams each, you play the other 7 team 4 times = 28 games, every other team 2 times 24 = 48 games for a grand total of 76 games

For the playoffs, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5 in a best of 3. reseat teams in the second round.

Once we get to the final 4 division winners. We base it on their points in the last home and away game they had in their division, and the other 48 games and we seat the division winners based on points(which means all would have an equal schedule playing every team 2 times for the sake of points)

Dec 15, 2002
I'm going to compile these along with suggestions from another thread, and see where it all lands.

I suspect the results are going to be hilarious.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
AvroArrow, you only get to pick 1. Which would you like? Personally don’t like the first idea and love the second, but it’s your call. I’ll lock it in as change #9

Zegs, it applies to the nhl, so you can do that. Should I count that as #7? Address league/age loopholes?

Ya that works(tho idk the correct changes other than a transfer fee in ahl, not sure how you fix college one)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
#10 thank you! Perfect imo
Throw out the shootout, make OT 10 minutes and bring back ties if no one scores.
#11. Not ideal, but your other one has already been dealt with previously, so.. shit. Point system dealt with, kind of.
Point system - each game is worth three points, so current system except RW is worth 3.

No offside review, except Toronto (not TML , the league official that is watching from Tor)can call for an egregious offsides.

Someone already did playoffs, sorry dude! Just going back to #1-8.
I would go with playoffs.

Basically 4 divisions 8 teams each, you play the other 7 team 4 times = 28 games, every other team 2 times 24 = 48 games for a grand total of 76 games

For the playoffs, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5 in a best of 3. reseat teams in the second round.

Once we get to the final 4 division winners. We base it on their points in the last home and away game they had in their division, and the other 48 games and we seat the division winners based on points(which means all would have an equal schedule playing every team 2 times for the sake of points)

Ya that works(tho idk the correct changes other than a transfer fee in ahl, not sure how you fix college one)

Ya we’ll work on specifics later- the larger rink rule, for example, is already practically impossible- it’s there but would never actually happen. Might lead to an outdoor game on a bigger sheet or somethin, though, in this theoretical new league.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad