HF posters decide 25 rule/league changes.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
All that being said, the biggest problems I have with the league aren't on the ice. The biggest problems I have stem from the fact that the salaries have completely ballooned in recent years (inflation and all that) and the cap hasn't moved. They really need to do something about that.
That is impossible. I suppose on paper it's possible, but at the end of the day, totals salaries in relation to the cap will always move together. Players salaries will always represent 50% of hockey related revenues, which the cap is based. If Player A's contract is $10M per year and Player B's contract is $5M per year, they don't necessarily get paid $10M and $5M, those contracts basically drive how much of hockey related revenues they'll receive at the end of the day....Player A getting 100% more than Player B. So cap is set based on expectations and escrow comes into play to ensure players don't have to return money they were paid throughout the year to align with actuals.

Anyway, point is, salaries can increase without cap increasing proportionately. Perhaps you are looking at some of the big contracts signed like MAtthews, etc. If the top end contracts are getting very high, that just means the rest of the players will earn less.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That is impossible. I suppose on paper it's possible, but at the end of the day, totals salaries in relation to the cap will always move together. Players salaries will always represent 50% of hockey related revenues, which the cap is based. If Player A's contract is $10M per year and Player B's contract is $5M per year, they don't necessarily get paid $10M and $5M, those contracts basically drive how much of hockey related revenues they'll receive at the end of the day....Player A getting 100% more than Player B. So cap is set based on expectations and escrow comes into play to ensure players don't have to return money they were paid throughout the year to align with actuals.

Anyway, point is, salaries can increase without cap increasing proportionately. Perhaps you are looking at some of the big contracts signed like MAtthews, etc. If the top end contracts are getting very high, that just means the rest of the players will earn less.
Yeah, I know how the cap works.

How it works sucks and is failing in practice.

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
New rule: The salary cap is to be lowered (to a yet to be determined amount) and is only to be implemented against former free agents and players acquired in trades, home grown players are exempt.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
One thing that probably has zero chance of happening, but would be totally fair if you think about it:

In playoffs, ALL games within the series should be played on higher seed's ice. This would make home ice advantage "more real", and therefore regular season more relevant. Home field advantage in eventual decider may work in NBA (don't kniw, cos don't watch), but is a laughable reward for better RS in such high variance sport as hockey.

As I said, it probably won't be ever considered, cause many teams would lose ticket revenue, but it's fair when you think about it.

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Schedule change.

Remove 6 games against teams from the opposing division of the same association. Replace them by 3 series of back to back games against natural rivals.

Example : Habs would play 2 more games against the Leafs, Bruins and Senators. All those rivalry games could be played at the same time league wide, on 3 different week-ends. The NHL could do a lot of marketing about it. It would be good for the league and exciting for the fans.

Slight modification to this. Would get rid of the "everybody plays everybody ever year" stuff and instead teams of a given division will only play two games against the teams of one division of the opposing conference, alternating every year, e.g., in the 2024-25 season, Pacific teams would only play teams in the Metro, not Atlantic, and in the 2025-26 season, Pacific teams would only play teams in the Atlantic division, not Metro. The games thereby freed up would be used to increase the intra-division games played in a season.

Reactions: Celly4Celebrini
Jul 10, 2010
Slight modification to this. Would get rid of the "everybody plays everybody ever year" stuff and instead teams of a given division will only play two games against the teams of one division of the opposing conference, alternating every year, e.g., in the 2024-25 season, Pacific teams would only play teams in the Metro, not Atlantic, and in the 2025-26 season, Pacific teams would only play teams in the Atlantic division, not Metro. The games thereby freed up would be used to increase the intra-division games played in a season.
alternatively, Pacific at home vs metro, away vs Atlantic, alternate the next year. Same idea, freed up games increase intra divisional games

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

This would never be accepted. Team owners and most fans would be frustrated about not seeing superstars of the opposing association (like McDavid) at least once per year in their building. Also, I can't imagine the Habs not visiting Western Canadian teams, where they have so many fans, at least once per year.

I think it’s more logical to cut the 3rd game against teams from the opposing division of the same association. For my Habs, I think 2 games/year against teams like Columbus or Carolina is more than enough.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Not just the stars needing to visit every city, but preserving games against every team is really important to maintain some degree of balance in schedule quality.

From a scheduling and travel perspective to have every team play every other team in the league equally that’d be what is best for competitive balance. It’s not feasible though.

I understand wanting to build rivalries but I definitely don’t think we should be moving even further away from balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad