OT: HF Jets Lounge | Flying snowmobiles at the Grey Cup in Regina? Sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember watching it when it was airing and liked it. Can't remember much other than bits and pieces. Maybe I should watch again.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This has to be the absolute worst city for snow clearing. I'm a truck driver and there isn't a city that's this brutal. To top it off they actually make our roads so they're harder to clear snow. Inkster west of Keewatin is a great example, they just put curbs everywhere and filled in the ditches. You lose 2 feet of the right lane because the snow has filled in so much. I guess they think it's easier to clear snow uphill then downhill? Go past route 90 where there's ditches and I don't think they even had to do anything.

This city is Pejorative Slured.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Anyone see Silva break his leg in the UFC168 main event? That was horrible.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Actually we have some of the best snow clearing in the country. Toronto, Hamilton, Calgary, Edmonton...all don't even clear side streets unless its a massive blizzard.

This has to be the absolute worst city for snow clearing. I'm a truck driver and there isn't a city that's this brutal. To top it off they actually make our roads so they're harder to clear snow. Inkster west of Keewatin is a great example, they just put curbs everywhere and filled in the ditches. You lose 2 feet of the right lane because the snow has filled in so much. I guess they think it's easier to clear snow uphill then downhill? Go past route 90 where there's ditches and I don't think they even had to do anything.

This city is Pejorative Slured.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This thing is awesome so far. I don't at all understand why people are whining about Windows 8. Flipping between pages, pointing at things with your fingers instead of using the mouse. I really feel like this is a really great combination between a tablet and a laptop!

People are set in their ways. I personally love it when you combine it with a Touchscreen, and don't mind it at all when used with a mouse.

On a tablet, it's far superior to iOS IMHO.

Glad you're enjoying it - it's definitely a machine I'd consider if I needed to replace a laptop. :nod:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Windows 8 isn't bad, but it seems an unnecessary release when 7 works brilliantly. Windows 8 is for a different user than what Windows is traditionally for, though.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Windows 8 isn't bad, but it seems an unnecessary release when 7 works brilliantly. Windows 8 is for a different user than what Windows is traditionally for, though.

It's targeted for where the market as a whole is going - if MS didn't evolve Windows, they'd be left behind. Next year: Windows RT (the underlying portion of Windows 8, from a development standpoint) and Windows Phone 8 are going to "merge", giving developers a single platform for deploying apps across tablets, PC's, and phones - as a part time developer, I'm stoked about that. This would not have been possible without making the changes that MS has made with Windows 8. Right now, I have to use Portable class libraries and file linking and other such nonsense to re-use code across the phone and tablet/pc codebases - pain in the you-know-what.

The desktop is still there - I use it with my various 3D applications and compositing software, then happily drop back into the start screen and apps when I'm not doing anything serious.

Meh - I like it, and I'm an older fart. I find it funny that some of the younger users hate it with such a passion - if anyone should have predispositions to sticking with what they know, it should be someone like me.

/rant off ;)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
We're good at moving snow, but not very good at keeping the roads in good shape. There's a huge difference between the two. Friday everything was softened and they had a chance to go out and clear a lot of the built up snow that wasn't cleared properly. Instead they let it get rock hard again and impossible to clear. You don't see polished intersections in other cities like you do in Winnipeg.

Other cities also tend to use much more sand or salt to either melt the snow or keep it loose so it doesn't shine up at the intersections. They also tend to have more warm spells above freezing.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I basically know nothing about computers. I'm fairly inept when it comes to technology, so what I want in a computer is something slick that doesn't mess with me. The touch with Windows 8 works really well so far. I don't think Windows 7 would work nearly as well with the touch.

People are set in their ways. I personally love it when you combine it with a Touchscreen, and don't mind it at all when used with a mouse.

On a tablet, it's far superior to iOS IMHO.

Glad you're enjoying it - it's definitely a machine I'd consider if I needed to replace a laptop. :nod:

It's only been a couple of days, but so far I would definitely recommend it.

In other news, I'm sick again, and have lost my sense of taste AGAIN! Never happened to me before, now it's happened twice in the last month. And I really wanted to be able to go to the gym a lot before the New Year with all the people with their New Years resolutions...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This thing is awesome so far. I don't at all understand why people are whining about Windows 8. Flipping between pages, pointing at things with your fingers instead of using the mouse. I really feel like this is a really great combination between a tablet and a laptop!

I really liked the interface of Windows 8. Took a bit of getting used to. My problem was I couldn't stream videos with it on my laptop. I tried everything to fix it but videos would freeze and lag.

When I get a new laptop it is going to be something like what you have. Love that versatility.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
We're good at moving snow, but not very good at keeping the roads in good shape. There's a huge difference between the two. Friday everything was softened and they had a chance to go out and clear a lot of the built up snow that wasn't cleared properly. Instead they let it get rock hard again and impossible to clear. You don't see polished intersections in other cities like you do in Winnipeg.

Other cities also tend to use much more sand or salt to either melt the snow or keep it loose so it doesn't shine up at the intersections. They also tend to have more warm spells above freezing.

It's too cold here for salt. It also destroys cars.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I really liked the interface of Windows 8. Took a bit of getting used to. My problem was I couldn't stream videos with it on my laptop. I tried everything to fix it but videos would freeze and lag.

When I get a new laptop it is going to be something like what you have. Love that versatility.

My problem was that some of my games didn't work with Windows 8. And I've got no problem with Windows 7 so I'll keep going with that for a while yet.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My problem was that some of my games didn't work with Windows 8. And I've got no problem with Windows 7 so I'll keep going with that for a while yet.

The thing that pisses me off about M$ is that even though they released Windows 8 they won't drop the price of 7 cause they want people to buy 8. I can't use 8 but would upgrade to 7 if they made it less expensive. So now I reverted back to Vista (shudder)

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I know, that's why you use sand to keep things loose and unpolished. You can use salt here, but it's not super effective. I've seen wet roads at -22 C.

You've seen wet roads because they heat up during high traffic periods then become rutted ice rinks overnight.

Puckschmuck*

It's too cold here for salt.

No it's not. Winnipeg uses more salt on the roads in comparison to the Alberta cities, where sand dominates. That is why half the cars in Alberta have cracked windshields; because of the amount of sand used in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad